Connecting with Players

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlackStarMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Connecting with Players

I think i figured it out. Over the past few years, theres been many discussions about missing the young guys or the lack of homegrown talent.

I think the major issue is the ability to connect with a player.
Anthony Davis is a great player, but his personality is dry. to me hes not connectable, i dunno. Despite his talent I do not think many people had him as one of their favorite non lakers prior.

Granted many of the Laker glory days included lifers like Magic, Kobe etc we have been able to connect with players that we havent drafted many times like Shaq, Pau, Metta, Odom, Ceballos. We have also had really true fan favorites like George, Shannon Brown, Sasha, Farmar, Jodie Meeks, Nick Young. These fan favorite even if they stink people still want them to see them play. ex. Lonzo ball, lol

even Steve Nash was welcomed with enthusiasm due to his personality

unfortunately the roster lacks much connecting personalities despite the greatness of the players

Lebron has also been polarizing, AD is dry. Rondo, Morris, JR Smith have been villains in the NBA
KCP, Bradley - dry

The only true fan favorite is Caruso. Kuz use to be until the young crew left for some reason..

nonetheless lets go for #18!!!!

btw I think Shroeder will be a fan favorite
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject:

Kobe is a once in a 3 lifetime player. There won’t be a player like him for any organization. If you want to cheer for a homegrown talent with an unknown ceiling, cheer for THT. I never understood why LG went nuts for this kid when they hated DLO, Ingram, and Ball. After reading your post I may have finally figured it out.
JamezAmp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject:

Dont care. RINGS
BlackStarMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Kobe is a once in a 3 lifetime player. There won’t be a player like him for any organization. If you want to cheer for a homegrown talent with an unknown ceiling, cheer for THT. I never understood why LG went nuts for this kid when they hated DLO, Ingram, and Ball. After reading your post I may have finally figured it out.

i think we go crazy for all drafted rookies because then they may become 'homegrown'
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject:

It's a different world. Those of us who are old enough to remember the days before true free agency can tell you about identifying with teams and their personalities through their players.

Bears - tough, toothless & nasty . . . Dick Butkus.
Celtics - arrogant ass clowns . . . Tommy Heinsohn.
Dodgers - technically perfect team . . . Sandy Koufax.
Raiders - we will do whatever it takes to beat you . . . Kenny Stabler.
Lakers - we're larger than life . . . Jerry West & Wilt Chamberlain.
Yankees - we're better than you . . . Joe DiMaggio.

Once players (rightfully) got a say in where they got to play, they stopped staying in places so long.
Lakerwayne
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Caruso kuzma and tht are homegrown and are still developing
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject:

BlackStarMamba wrote:
I think i figured it out. Over the past few years, theres been many discussions about missing the young guys or the lack of homegrown talent.

Anthony Davis is a great player, but his personality is dry. to me hes not connectable, i dunno. Despite his talent I do not think many people had him as one of their favorite non lakers prior.

Granted many of the Laker glory days included lifers like Magic, Kobe etc we have been able to connect with players that we havent drafted many times like Shaq, Pau, Metta, Odom, Ceballos. We have also had really true fan favorites like George, Shannon Brown, Sasha, Farmar, Jodie Meeks, Nick Young. These fan favorite even if they stink people still want them to see them play. ex. Lonzo ball, lol

unfortunately the roster lacks much connecting personalities despite the greatness of the players

Lebron has also been polarizing, AD is dry. Rondo, Morris, JR Smith have been villains in the NBA
KCP, Bradley - dry

The only true fan favorite is Caruso. Kuz use to be until the young crew left for some reason..

I think it’s more simple than that.

In past ring years, we had one star we acquired and one who started his career with us (Kareem/Magic, Shaq/Kobe, Kobe/Gasol.) Kobe and Magic created a “homegrown” foundation to the ring teams for three decades.

Similarly, those teams had a lot of rotation players who started their careers here: lots of Showtime; Fisher; Bynum; Farmar, Walton.)

The current team has virtually no significant player (except maybe Kuz and Caruso) who started their careers as Lakers.

On top of that, most of the guys on the current roster all came here at once -- the Lakers basically went out to the NBA store and bought a roster.

That bothers some people. They look at this team as a bunch of mercenaries, which frankly they are. Lebron is the ultimate mercenary.

The current Lakers are the least "homegrown" ring team in the history of the NBA.

In addition, the pandemic created a lot of distance this year (kind literally) between players and fans.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting with Players

BlackStarMamba wrote:

KCP, Bradley - dry

I don't think there is any way for you, or any of us, to put into words what you're trying to describe. Because it all boils down to when a fan first started watching. What you're trying to define as "connecting," I see it as nostalgia or familiarity. If someone started watching coinciding with AD's first year, and watches him here on out until he retires a Laker. That fan has no clue what you're talking about regarding home grown and stuff. Cuz AD is all he knows. He's "connected" as a fan in his/her way. Anyone who says Kobe or Magic are true Lakers, and others are not, just happen to be old enough to see those guys' careers... that's all. Timing and age. I followed half of Magic's career, and followed Kobe's career from summer league all the way to the 60 pt final game. So I have a different POV of what a true Laker is versus a 15 yr old Laker fan born in 2005, or a new 10 yr old fan who started watching 2020. That kid will look back on 2020 with his/her own nostalgia.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject:

To me AD, Caruso and Kuz are quite likable people. I don't mind the soft-spoken and humble personality of AD. It's refreshing in the social media era. He reminds me of Worthy. I don't think there's ever been a Laker squad where I liked every single player, unless we go back to Showtime. I didn't like Glen Rice, definitely wasn't a fan of signing Rodman, didn't like Karl Malone, Jodie Meeks, Smush or Nick Young. With 15 players on the team there's bound to be someone you're not very fond of. Even LeMachine got on my nerves from time to time. But I get what you're saying...I think this era of players bouncing from team to team looking for the best shot at winning a championships is not only non-competitive, but it does a disservice to the fans. There's a reason why NBA ratings have been falling for many years. Things could change in 4 or 5 years though when this era of players retire. There's a lot of great young talent int he NBA now, they're just not getting any press.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting with Players

Runway8 wrote:
BlackStarMamba wrote:

KCP, Bradley - dry

I don't think there is any way for you, or any of us, to put into words what you're trying to describe. Because it all boils down to when a fan first started watching. What you're trying to define as "connecting," I see it as nostalgia or familiarity. If someone started watching coinciding with AD's first year, and watches him here on out until he retires a Laker. That fan has no clue what you're talking about regarding home grown and stuff. Cuz AD is all he knows. He's "connected" as a fan in his/her way. Anyone who says Kobe or Magic are true Lakers, and others are not, just happen to be old enough to see those guys' careers... that's all. Timing and age. I followed half of Magic's career, and followed Kobe's career from summer league all the way to the 60 pt final game. So I have a different POV of what a true Laker is versus a 15 yr old Laker fan born in 2005, or a new 10 yr old fan who started watching 2020. That kid will look back on 2020 with his/her own nostalgia.

That's a good point. People tend to be more emotional about NBA players when they are younger. At this point in my life, I doubt I would ever "connect" with any player in the same I did when I was 12 or 13. Now, I just see them as entertainers. As long as they give me enjoyment with how they play on the court, I don't really care that much about their personality or personal story.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:50 am    Post subject:

Not sure how much of “connecting” has to do with the personality of the player. Certainly a part of it for some players that have great personalities but for the most part it is the continuity of the team.

What is lost is watching the development of a young player and building of team chemistry and culture. Current “team building “ is done by creating super teams for a season or two then moving on to the next super team opportunity.

Simply, who do you root for when the team is constantly changing? Not just the role players but the stars. Look at the marquee players changing teams in just the last five years. In a few cases multiple teams. Hard for a fan to be “loyal” when every year your favorite player is just as likely to be on the move as being built around. Or your favorite team just went from contender to lottery as the marquee player leaves.

Just my own personal opinion but I think the increase in popularity of fantasy sports and video games where fans can be the GM and constantly plug and play players has added to acceptance of this mentality.

Not good or bad...just is what it is. Not likely to change either.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject:

Free agency changed everything. The days of the player playing their whole or even 75% of their careers on one team are long gone. I used to hold it against LeBron when he left Cleveland but I now realize that he was the beginning of the trend. It’s good for the players though and I think player movement has been good for the league as well.
BlackStarMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
BlackStarMamba wrote:

KCP, Bradley - dry

I think it’s more simple than that.

In past ring years, we had one star we acquired and one who started his career with us (Kareem/Magic, Shaq/Kobe, Kobe/Gasol.) Kobe and Magic created a “homegrown” foundation to the ring teams for three decades.

Similarly, those teams had a lot of rotation players who started their careers here: lots of Showtime; Fisher; Bynum; Farmar, Walton.)

The current team has virtually no significant player (except maybe Kuz and Caruso) who started their careers as Lakers.

On top of that, most of the guys on the current roster all came here at once -- the Lakers basically went out to the NBA store and bought a roster.

That bothers some people. They look at this team as a bunch of mercenaries, which frankly they are. Lebron is the ultimate mercenary.

The current Lakers are the least "homegrown" ring team in the history of the NBA.

In addition, the pandemic created a lot of distance this year (kind literally) between players and fans.

excellent addition and simplification of the point I was making. But I still think the personality matters. If Shaq lakers won in 1996 it would still feel more strong connection because of the personality of Shaq.

I mean I think certain players connect more. I mean we have had KCP, Lebron, Rondo, Mcgee, Caruso, Kuz, Dwight (previous lakers stint) on the squad x 2 years. Even AD was traded for in 2019.
BlackStarMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Connecting with Players

Runway8 wrote:
BlackStarMamba wrote:

KCP, Bradley - dry

your right
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject:

AD seems like a super nice guy. just a bit shy. he's very likable IMHO.
BlackStarMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
To me AD, Caruso and Kuz are quite likable people. I don't mind the soft-spoken and humble personality of AD. It's refreshing in the social media era. He reminds me of Worthy. I don't think there's ever been a Laker squad where I liked every single player, unless we go back to Showtime. I didn't like Glen Rice, definitely wasn't a fan of signing Rodman, didn't like Karl Malone, Jodie Meeks, Smush or Nick Young. With 15 players on the team there's bound to be someone you're not very fond of. Even LeMachine got on my nerves from time to time. But I get what you're saying...I think this era of players bouncing from team to team looking for the best shot at winning a championships is not only non-competitive, but it does a disservice to the fans. There's a reason why NBA ratings have been falling for many years. Things could change in 4 or 5 years though when this era of players retire. There's a lot of great young talent int he NBA now, they're just not getting any press.

Smush? Rice? lol

I get you
I think the other part of likeability is the feel good story attached. Whether its home grown talent or the underdog achieving (Fisher, Horry, Smush, Devean Goerge, Kobe). Given they were low draft picks and succeed.

Only great story besides winning for Kobe this year is Caruso in a sense; and Dwight overcoming the odds.
BlackStarMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
AD seems like a super nice guy. just a bit shy. he's very likable IMHO.

right AD is not unlikable, but not marketable
there are lot of nice guys in NBA. but guys like Caruso, Steph, Klay are nice guys but very connectable and fan favorites

maybe its a big man thing
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: