THANK YOU Dwight Howard (DH Signs with Philadelphia)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 131, 132, 133 ... 135, 136, 137  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:57 pm    Post subject:

I dont understand why he couldn't wait for a day?
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:04 am    Post subject:

So were we cutting into the BAE until Wes was reeled in and we had to reset on our offer to Dwight?
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:10 am    Post subject:

Sigh. Dwight. You could not just wait a bit longer? Or did the Lakers truly not want you?

Does not make sense.

Well, you made your decision. I was hoping you would give the only team that gave you a shot last year to show what you could do a little more slack than a few hours after FA opened (assuming that one story is true).

But, thank you for helping win a Championship. Good luck in Philadelphia.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:34 am    Post subject:

I’m gonna miss Dwight.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:39 am    Post subject:

How did we lose Dwight for the vet minimum? Went to sleep at 5pm and woke up to this? Geezzz... Really upset about this.
Dumhead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:44 am    Post subject:

A little confused. But best of luck to him.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:47 am    Post subject:

Thanks Dwight.

Seems a little bit of him wanting to get some love. Thinking he was gonna get it, but then when he realized he was gonna compete with Harrell and AD for minutes at the 5, possibly Marc Gasol as well, he realized best to go to a team he has a guaranteed spot on and minutes. Not to mention. There’s talk about a Harden trade to Philly, if Embiid involved in that, Dwights minutes go up.

Probably was advised to move on, and I dong blame him. TRez is 27 in his prime and Dwight is not gonna beat out these guys for minutes. If we sign Marc Gasol, then that’s a stretch defensive big. AD plays about 10 min at the 5 in the RS as well. Just no consistent role for Dwight there. Good luck to him. Thanks Dwight.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:29 am    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
I'd be pissed. Hopefully karma doesn't come back on the lakers

Karma for what?
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:43 am    Post subject:

Didn't understand what happened yesterday

Best of luck to Dwight. Forever a Lakers champion.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:48 am    Post subject:

Sad day for lakernation. How are we gonna defend Jokic? Dwight was the FA I was really looking forward to rejoining the Lakers. I'm glad we've got Harrell but he lacks the size to defend the marquee bigs in this league.
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:50 am    Post subject:

Odd guy.
Artest4Three
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:13 am    Post subject:

Dwight is so weird lol. That being said I'm entirely appreciative of what he did for us last year and wish him well on his new endeavor. Glad he got a ring with us.
paolomagma
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:52 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
I dont understand why he couldn't wait for a day?

I honestly think Harrell was Rob's priority. Obviously, Dwight wanted to come back but Trez kinda makes Dwight's role redundant. He'll get more minutes than Dwight ever did.
Rob is ruthless as far as we know. He just straight up upgraded Rondo to Schroder, Green to Wes and now Howard to Harrell. All of those guys would have loved to come back but Rob found better options.

So no. I don't like that a lot of Laker fans are (bleep) on our championship winning players. I'm sure those guys are pretty bummed.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:24 am    Post subject:

Dwight is such a dumb mfer. Who decides to go to be a backup for a scrub organization like the sixers with the biggest choker coach of all time when you have a chance to repeat as the starting C for the Lakers?! Dwight is truly a special kind of stupid.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:33 am    Post subject:

paolomagma wrote:

<snip>

I honestly think Harrell was Rob's priority. Obviously, Dwight wanted to come back but Trez kinda makes Dwight's role redundant. He'll get more minutes than Dwight ever did.
Rob is ruthless as far as we know. He just straight up upgraded Rondo to Schroder, Green to Wes and now Howard to Harrell. All of those guys would have loved to come back but Rob found better options.

So no. I don't like that a lot of Laker fans are (bleep) on our championship winning players. I'm sure those guys are pretty bummed.

This is what I'm thinking too. Trez replaces 80% of Howard: physicality, athleticism, rebounding.

The 20% that he does not cover is against at most 2-3 teams in the league: Denver, Philly => means we need to find another situational 5 to cover this. Thankfully, there's plenty of time to do this since this is a playoff need and would not make much of a regular season difference (Trez may cause us to lose some regular season games that Howard would've helped us win, but he will also help win games where Howard would not have helped)

Additionally, Trez provides ABSOLUTELY ELITE P&R and inside scoring, which we did not have last year.

And finally, Trez will absolutely help lower AD/LBJ regular season wear and tear - which is a major strategic prerogative for this year; the Laker 3-7 *could* be good enough to win against half (or more) of the league.

And super finally, I'm not convinced that Trez is just a 1-season signing. I think Rob's just kept his options open, based on how this year goes he could be retained, or he could be a very valuable trade chip. The Trez/AD front-court has the potential to be a devastating small ball combo.

Oh and to address the Trez defense issue: he was unplayable in the playoffs because he couldn't be on the floor with Zubac, that's 2 inside players that can't stretch the floor and clog the paint and can't cover the perimeter. This matchup issue will remain - Trez can't be matched up against elite 5's (Jokic/Embiid etc.), which goes back to the 20% gap I mentioned above.

Based on this I have a feeling that Rob wasn't devastated when Howard decided to leave. I have a VERY hard time believing the "need to get owner's approval" narrative; give me a break, Rob is not a rank amateur, any manager worth his salt would have received pre-approvals for Vet-min signings. This sounds like a story-line constructed to explain away a possibly unpopular move.

Last edited by ThePageDude on Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:43 am; edited 1 time in total
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Dwight is such a dumb mfer. Who decides to go to be a backup for a scrub organization like the sixers with the biggest choker coach of all time when you have a chance to repeat as the starting C for the Lakers?! Dwight is truly a special kind of stupid.

We do not know that Rob even offered him a guaranteed contract with a 10-15% raise that the Lakers were allowed to do, and was warranted.

Second, we do not know what Dwight does, which is possibly that LA would have preferred to continue to start McGee (who started all last RS), Harrell is first big off the bench and is the best bench player in the NBA last season, and AD best match up position is the 5 as well. Leaving Dwight with a lot of DNPs, possibly.

Do not blame him, especially if a contract offer was not made. If he does not take the Sixers offer right away, then they could have moved on from him, and what was his offers aside from that, or options. Do not know.

Personally, I thought he deserved at least a BAE or vet min with 10% raise offer, based on his play last year. I wish it could have happened, but at the same time Dwight is 35 this year. The age of this roster was a concern.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:51 am    Post subject:

Gracias Dwight! Champion
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:18 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

We do not know that Rob even offered him a guaranteed contract with a 10-15% raise that the Lakers were allowed to do, and was warranted.

Second, we do not know what Dwight does, which is possibly that LA would have preferred to continue to start McGee (who started all last RS), Harrell is first big off the bench and is the best bench player in the NBA last season, and AD best match up position is the 5 as well. Leaving Dwight with a lot of DNPs, possibly.

Do not blame him, especially if a contract offer was not made. If he does not take the Sixers offer right away, then they could have moved on from him, and what was his offers aside from that, or options. Do not know.

Personally, I thought he deserved at least a BAE or vet min with 10% raise offer, based on his play last year. I wish it could have happened, but at the same time Dwight is 35 this year. The age of this roster was a concern.

So he's going to get more playing time behind Embiid? He is getting paid less than the minimum amount the Lakers could offer him.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:32 am    Post subject:

I’d imagine they told him they were signing Trezz, and as a result Dwight took an opportunity elsewhere. We do also have JaVale opting in, so maybe Dwight thought sharing time with those 2 didn’t present the best situation for him.

It’s s shame because he turned his career around here and he really exceeded our expectations last year and became a valuable contributor, but best of luck to him in Philly.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject:

Dwight was great last year, but honestly I am not sure he was going to repeat his success. He did it to show everyone he was still a viable player in the league, but we knew all along he could go off the rails at any point. He did go over the line a bit in the playoffs that could have cost the team where he pushed the physicality a bit. He was a great physical defender against the Joker but didn't even play against Houston as he no longer can impact the game from the offensive end or use his size as a mismatch. The Lakers best lineup was AD/Keef/LBJ for most games. Trez replicates that lineup albeit from the inside, but AD is fine inside or out and you can pair those two together. More importantly the team needs to load manage the vets early in the year so they needed more depth.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:52 am    Post subject:

Thanks, Dwight!

Philly's offer would've still been there later.

My uneducated guess:

Lakers are skirting the apron, still talking to other guys (Bogdan?) and weren't sure on whether they could give him $2.8, $2.9, $3.0 or $3.1 and fit KCP/AD/? under the apron.

Dwight wanted to be courted/prioritized and got impatient.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject:

I'm one who's sorry to see him go. I get the feeling he really wanted to stay and perhaps it was his agent who f#$%d up. At any rate, he should be thanked for helping us get a chip last year and I hope he does well in Philly. Must be hard bouncing around the league like he has when at one time he was consider one of the best. I know much of that is his own fault, but still...
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject:

Thank you for helping us win the championship!
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject:

I felt Dwight was gone when he used a cap emoji on a report that Pelinka was calling him regularly. You kinda felt right then, he probably wanted it known he wasn't getting the love he wanted and then he did what he had to.

These things happen in free agency, you can't get upset, without knowing what the final roster will be. We're far from that. Heck, we didn't even get Dwight until so late after FA last summer. You never know when Pelinka is done. He didn't sign Morris until late into the RS.

Pelinka is very very good, he knows he lost Dwight. Immediately you see us connected to Marc Gasol. For a reason. We may not land Marc, but I am 100% sure Pelinka knows we need a physical post player to compliment AD. And that McGee is NOT that guy.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject:

I really liked the new Dwight a lot man. Hurts to see him go. But I do think the team will be ok. The playoffs showed that he's super useful in the right situation, but those situations are very limited. I'll be rooting for him in Philly, at least to knock out those Celtics.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 131, 132, 133 ... 135, 136, 137  Next
Page 132 of 137
Jump to: