OFFICIAL Kentavious Caldwell-Pope Thread (Resigned for 3 Years, $40 Million)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 167, 168, 169 ... 180, 181, 182  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phantasyman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject:

AB was the one who chose not to play. Did you forget already? LOL Clearly, the Lakers didn't need him since they won the chip.

markjay wrote:
Doc JC wrote:
AB got a guaranteed 2 year deal with Miami for more money. Lakers couldn’t offer him that. Wish him well.

Caruso quite frankly deserves the bump in playtime. He should be a 33-36 mpg guy this season. Let the starting lineups calling card be defense and then the bench unit focuses on scoring with trez/Schroeder/Kuz.

Actually, second year is a team option. It seems like Bradley just didn’t want to be on the Lakers anymore. Perhaps some residual feelings about not having been in the bubble.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject:

WELCOME BACK! 3 YR! LAKER4LIFE
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject:

KCP!!
Quote:
Shams Charania @ShamsCharania

Free agent Kentavious Caldwell-Pope has agreed to a three-year, $40M deal with the Lakers, Klutch Sports CEO Rich Paul tells @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium.
socalfan21
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject:

This was an overpay but I am happy to have him back
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Welcome home KCP.

[Ok, I admit I would have liked it if the Lakers had some extra to spend after you signed, but listen man, you are part of the young core, welcome back!]
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Lots of money but he was great in the playoffs and considering Clarkson got $56 million over 4 years, it looks decent by comparison.
JPaulK0n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject:

KCP's first 2 years didn't even feel like he was viewed as a real Laker and only as the salary filler to eventually get traded. Now, he's a champion, played a huge role in Lakers winning a title, and will be remembered as a Laker for life. KCP finally got that multi-year deal from us and still only 27. Happy to see KCP in year 4 as a Laker, which most thought was only going to be only 1 season or 2 seasons at best.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject:

socalfan21 wrote:
This was an overpay but I am happy to have him back
LakerLanny wrote:
Lots of money but he was great in the playoffs and considering Clarkson got $56 million over 4 years, it looks decent by comparison.

At this point, Pelinka needed to finish fill the roster. Having some players who don't need to start from square 1 in learning the defense is nice.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject:

Good contract. Very movable, even, if the Lakers decide to salary dump next summer to make capspace. Kind of surprised he went that price.

Lakers will have some big time shot making around AD and Bron this year.

KCP can hit and drive from the corner.
Schroder is good at catch + shoot 3s, and is very good at dribble pentration.
Trez is super at moving off the ball, or just catching the ball and taking some dribble to the basket.

Most potent offense may come from a Trez, AD, KCP, Schroder, Bron unit. Trez plays the high post-elbow area, as a screen setter and roller-cutter off the ball. AD looks to get either open kick outs or mismatches and isolates easy. Schroder is dual PG-SG, can catch and shoot or play on the ball as PG. Bron is Bron.

We did not have lineups like that last year, with 5 crazy good scoring options, and I think if we work on their chemistry on D, right from camp, it should pay dividends by playoffs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject:

Great job by Pelinka. Not only is KCP a good 2-way player, but retaining the chemistry and continuity with him is big. That will help us get off to a good start this upcoming season.
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject:

I love KCP...easily my favorite laker.

WELCOME back mr. Quick Trigger
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject:

Pumped to have KCP back. The 3 guard lineups with him, Schroder and Caruso will be fun.

I’d like to get Marc Gasol and keep Kief.
DeeAgeaux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject:

KCP turned down $16M/year for 5 years from the Pistons 3 offseasons ago.

Considering what comparable wings are being paid not an overpay IMO.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject:

Welcome back Pope...!

Lakers still need (1) of each: PG, SG, SF, PF, & C

then (2) G-Leaguers (Giannas' bro) to get to 15...!
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject:

It's pretty wild the ups and downs KCP has gone through in just a few years as a Laker. Seems like he's found a good comfort level finally and I'm glad to have him back. Looks like a fair price for both sides to me.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Kenny turned down 80 million guaranteed over 5 years from Detroit to become a Laker for a one year deal at 18 million.

Had some bad luck on some rebuilding squads but I’m thinking KCP and Klutch knew Lebron was gonna be a Laker the following year.

KCP gambled on himself and I’m glad it worked out in the end.
Even if he’s traded later down the line he’s secured his bag and he’ll forever be a Champion
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:05 pm    Post subject:

$80m/5yr or $68m/5yr with ring(s)

KCP bet correctly
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Can we still get Giannis?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Welcome back Bro !!!
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject:

Just sign Marc Gasol and we're ready to roll up #18.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:55 pm    Post subject:

damn he like literally sucked every penny possible out of our salary cap... like he couldnt spare just a bit so that we could offer Kief something??
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:48 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Can we still get Giannis?

Have to unload KCP, Trez has to opt out and ask Bron for a opt out and paycut. It always required some hoops. I think if somehow Giannis wanted to come here (Not feeling it), I feel like we could still make it happen. 2022 is looking solid tho.
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:35 am    Post subject:

Another opinion

The Lakers paint themselves into a corner, and several other small moves (Sat. 11:15)

Lakers: Kentavious Caldwell-Pope’s three-year, $40 million deal underscores how badly the Lakers painted themselves into a corner by using their full mid-level exception on Montrezl Harrell. The Lakers are now hard-capped and can only use minimum contracts for their last four roster spots, and carry only the minimum of 14 players. This state of affairs will hamstring them nearly the entire season, as the Lakers are only a few dollars short of the hard cap line, depending on the exact figure for Caldwell-Pope’s first-year salary.

Caldwell-Pope himself was a pretty large overpay – BORD$ saw him as worth less than half this amount – but the Lakers almost had no choice once they paid Harrell. Their MLE was the only alternative to replacing Caldwell-Pope if he left for another team, so once they used it on Harrell, it put them in a difficult negotiating position. Had Caldwell-Pope left, the Lakers would have had just the $3.6 million biannual exception with which to pay a replacement.

On the flip side, overpaying Caldwell-Pope is more damaging because they used the full MLE on Harrell. This was a glittering shiny object they grabbed based on Harrell’s high scoring 2019-20, when he won the Sixth Man Award.

In a vacuum, yes, the contract makes sense. Situationally, not so much. This was not a player the Lakers particularly needed, and his game would not seem to fit well with LeBron James and Anthony Davis on the floor.

Had the Lakers settled for using their taxpayer MLE on a different center, they would not be in this position because they would not be hard-capped, and thus the overpay on Caldwell-Pope would have only hurt Jeanie Buss’s checkbook. Instead, the Lakers have to cobble together four roster spots on veteran minimum contacts. While they are fortunate that they are the top destination for veterans seeking a minimum deal, they’re still sorting through the discount bin.

One thing I would expect, however, is for the Lakers to only guarantee three of these deals. L.A. can extend its wiggle room by using the last spot on a non-guaranteed player and waiving him the first week of the season, and toggling between 13 and 14 roster players through the season in much the same way Golden State did a year ago. Regardless, this will be a difficult dance with the hard cap line all year lo
ng.
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:25 am    Post subject:

ducasse wrote:
Another opinion

The Lakers paint themselves into a corner, and several other small moves (Sat. 11:15)

Lakers: Kentavious Caldwell-Pope’s three-year, $40 million deal underscores how badly the Lakers painted themselves into a corner by using their full mid-level exception on Montrezl Harrell. The Lakers are now hard-capped and can only use minimum contracts for their last four roster spots, and carry only the minimum of 14 players. This state of affairs will hamstring them nearly the entire season, as the Lakers are only a few dollars short of the hard cap line, depending on the exact figure for Caldwell-Pope’s first-year salary.

Caldwell-Pope himself was a pretty large overpay – BORD$ saw him as worth less than half this amount – but the Lakers almost had no choice once they paid Harrell. Their MLE was the only alternative to replacing Caldwell-Pope if he left for another team, so once they used it on Harrell, it put them in a difficult negotiating position. Had Caldwell-Pope left, the Lakers would have had just the $3.6 million biannual exception with which to pay a replacement.

On the flip side, overpaying Caldwell-Pope is more damaging because they used the full MLE on Harrell. This was a glittering shiny object they grabbed based on Harrell’s high scoring 2019-20, when he won the Sixth Man Award.

In a vacuum, yes, the contract makes sense. Situationally, not so much. This was not a player the Lakers particularly needed, and his game would not seem to fit well with LeBron James and Anthony Davis on the floor.

Had the Lakers settled for using their taxpayer MLE on a different center, they would not be in this position because they would not be hard-capped, and thus the overpay on Caldwell-Pope would have only hurt Jeanie Buss’s checkbook. Instead, the Lakers have to cobble together four roster spots on veteran minimum contacts. While they are fortunate that they are the top destination for veterans seeking a minimum deal, they’re still sorting through the discount bin.

One thing I would expect, however, is for the Lakers to only guarantee three of these deals. L.A. can extend its wiggle room by using the last spot on a non-guaranteed player and waiving him the first week of the season, and toggling between 13 and 14 roster players through the season in much the same way Golden State did a year ago. Regardless, this will be a difficult dance with the hard cap line all year lo
ng.

That's from a guy who also wrote this:

https://theathletic.com/2107702/2020/10/01/why-the-nba-should-be-rooting-for-the-miami-heat/?source=user_shared_article
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:37 am    Post subject:

I mean, what were the other options? Ok, we do not sign Harrell AND Mathews and we sign a center for the tax MLE.
Were we going to sign Rondo? Probably not, I think he would still leave as he seems like a guy who probably thinks that his work here is already done.
Sign Howard? Yes, we would have signed him, but he is worse than Harrell.
Sign Bradley? Probably not, I don't think the Lakers were that interested in him after all that bubble thing.
Sign KCP? Yes, but we have already done it.

The only question that we don't know yet is if we sign Kieff and we may still sign him after everything that we have done. So what are exactly the disadvantages of signing Harrell and "overpaying" for KCP?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 167, 168, 169 ... 180, 181, 182  Next
Page 168 of 182
Jump to: