THANK YOU Dwight Howard (DH Signs with Philadelphia)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mixtim
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
I dont understand why he couldn't wait for a day?

The guy was born gifted with many talents.
Smarts non being one of them
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject:

Not feeling the remorse some of you are expressing.

No denying he had a good year on and off the court. The tandem of he and McGee set the tone all season long. And he has some great moments in the playoffs but some are forgetting he was unplayable at times too. Situational role but still an important supporting role.

But I’m not surprised with this at all. I agree with the above comment that he was not feeling “courted” enough, felt slighted and made a rash decision.

Just Dwight being Dwight. He can’t help himself.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I felt Dwight was gone when he used a cap emoji on a report that Pelinka was calling him regularly. You kinda felt right then, he probably wanted it known he wasn't getting the love he wanted and then he did what he had to.

These things happen in free agency, you can't get upset, without knowing what the final roster will be. We're far from that. Heck, we didn't even get Dwight until so late after FA last summer. You never know when Pelinka is done. He didn't sign Morris until late into the RS.

Pelinka is very very good, he knows he lost Dwight. Immediately you see us connected to Marc Gasol. For a reason. We may not land Marc, but I am 100% sure Pelinka knows we need a physical post player to compliment AD. And that McGee is NOT that guy.

I have great faith in Pelinka and think he always has a Plan B in place if Plan A goes bad. I think Dwight panicked and made a bad decision, but now Rob will go to a plan B (Gasol would seem to be a logical choice) and try and work it out.

Despite this decision, I would like to give D12 props for an amazing season last year, I thought he was fantastic and a big reason why the Lakers brought the real Lakers back to Los Angeles.
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
I felt Dwight was gone when he used a cap emoji on a report that Pelinka was calling him regularly. You kinda felt right then, he probably wanted it known he wasn't getting the love he wanted and then he did what he had to.

These things happen in free agency, you can't get upset, without knowing what the final roster will be. We're far from that. Heck, we didn't even get Dwight until so late after FA last summer. You never know when Pelinka is done. He didn't sign Morris until late into the RS.

Pelinka is very very good, he knows he lost Dwight. Immediately you see us connected to Marc Gasol. For a reason. We may not land Marc, but I am 100% sure Pelinka knows we need a physical post player to compliment AD. And that McGee is NOT that guy.

I have great faith in Pelinka and think he always has a Plan B in place if Plan A goes bad. I think Dwight panicked and made a bad decision, but now Rob will go to a plan B (Gasol would seem to be a logical choice) and try and work it out.

Despite this decision, I would like to give D12 props for an amazing season last year, I thought he was fantastic and a big reason why the Lakers brought the real Lakers back to Los Angeles.

Gasol would be better than Dwight.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject:

#WAITD39

Dude got antsy and butthurt and took an offer $400k lower to go be the backup for Embiid.

I still am kinda hoping he wants to reverse course as I love the physical prescience and vertical threat he proved to be but if this was it for Dwight in LA, oh well. Served his purpose and now we find the next guy. Sign Gasol and lets call the C position a day
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject:

I posted somewhere either this thread or somewhere else that I didn’t expect him to stay. I thought he would chase money while he still had a high profile after winning a chip. So this one year not much money signing seems odd to me. And reading some of the backstory on it seems really odd. So I see he is still a crazy ass Sagittarius*.

Well Dwight, I was hard on you when you re-signed here – largely due to stuff like this lol – but you definitely redeemed yourself and I’m glad you have reestablished yourself back in the league. Good luck in Philly.

* my birthday is next Saturday, I, too, am a crazy ass Sagittarius.
easybreeze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject:

I'm not surprised of his decision making, going somewhere for less. Now that he got a ring, the ego raises its head.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Thanks, Dwight!

Philly's offer would've still been there later.

My uneducated guess:

Lakers are skirting the apron, still talking to other guys (Bogdan?) and weren't sure on whether they could give him $2.8, $2.9, $3.0 or $3.1 and fit KCP/AD/? under the apron.

Dwight wanted to be courted/prioritized and got impatient.

Thats the most logical explanation. These guys don't want to end up with terrible options like signing for a non-playoff team for the minimum or worse off, unwanted. So while the Lakers were the ideal situation he probably didn't want to feel unwanted and left hanging.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Too bad Dwight didn't play the odds... Meaning he had a good chance at STARTING with the lakers. Odd cat for sure.

lakersken80 wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Thanks, Dwight!

Philly's offer would've still been there later.

My uneducated guess:

Lakers are skirting the apron, still talking to other guys (Bogdan?) and weren't sure on whether they could give him $2.8, $2.9, $3.0 or $3.1 and fit KCP/AD/? under the apron.

Dwight wanted to be courted/prioritized and got impatient.

Thats the most logical explanation. These guys don't want to end up with terrible options like signing for a non-playoff team for the minimum or worse off, unwanted. So while the Lakers were the ideal situation he probably didn't want to feel unwanted and left hanging.
Intlakeshow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject:

The likely reason why he's not back is that once Harrel became a possibility, the back up center on that team is not gonna see any playing time because AD/Harrel are gonna take most of those minutes. So if Dwight wasn't starting, he basically wasn't playing. So it came down to either him or another big like Gasol for the starting center role and only minutes a true center is gonna see on this team.

Now what happened next I have no idea, my guess is Rob told him that he was
gonna have to battle with a guy like Gasol for those minutes and he chose to go to Philly where he's at least guaranteed to get playing time off the bench. This is all under the assumption that Javale is gone.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Dwight has to be the weirdest Lakers player career.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
Dwight is such a dumb mfer. Who decides to go to be a backup for a scrub organization like the sixers with the biggest choker coach of all time when you have a chance to repeat as the starting C for the Lakers?! Dwight is truly a special kind of stupid.

We do not know that Rob even offered him a guaranteed contract with a 10-15% raise that the Lakers were allowed to do, and was warranted.

Second, we do not know what Dwight does, which is possibly that LA would have preferred to continue to start McGee (who started all last RS), Harrell is first big off the bench and is the best bench player in the NBA last season, and AD best match up position is the 5 as well. Leaving Dwight with a lot of DNPs, possibly.

Do not blame him, especially if a contract offer was not made. If he does not take the Sixers offer right away, then they could have moved on from him, and what was his offers aside from that, or options. Do not know.

Personally, I thought he deserved at least a BAE or vet min with 10% raise offer, based on his play last year. I wish it could have happened, but at the same time Dwight is 35 this year. The age of this roster was a concern.

Nope. 1 good season in the last few. 2 back surgeries. He isn't going to make it through next season lokenhe did this season
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:19 am    Post subject:

Sounds like Dwight couldn't stomach losing minutes to Harrell. It's unfortunate he was so impulsive, immediately going to the 76ers without giving the Lakers a chance to reconnect after he had begged them to give him a chance and they did. That he would only wait an hour for the Lakers to call him back after all they did for him is messed up. I guess Dwight / Lakers was just destined to not be a happy marriage. They had a nice honeymoon period.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:54 am    Post subject:

Dwight breaks our hearts yet again.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject:

I cant help but wonder if this happens if we have a fully staffed FO (last I checked we had one of the thinnest staffed front offices in the NBA). Pelinka has proven to be incredibly competent but he's just one man acting as president AND GM. Imagine all the plate spinning he's doing at once during free agency. What if we had another exec to help finesse the situation with guys like Dwight
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Dwight breaks our hearts yet again.

Only those who weren’t expecting him to find a way to screw things up.

I was shocked he made it through last season without his ego and antics that essentially had him out of the league became an issue. A testament to the Laker leadership that he was able to keep it together as long as he did.

He played well for the Lakers. But the other shoe has dropped and it is time to move on. He made his choice. Lakers will be just fine without him.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject:

paolomagma wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:

I honestly think Harrell was Rob's priority. Obviously, Dwight wanted to come back but Trez kinda makes Dwight's role redundant. He'll get more minutes than Dwight ever did.
Rob is ruthless as far as we know. He just straight up upgraded Rondo to Schroder, Green to Wes and now Howard to Harrell. All of those guys would have loved to come back but Rob found better options.

So no. I don't like that a lot of Laker fans are (bleep) on our championship winning players. I'm sure those guys are pretty bummed.

Harrell is good but he isn't an upgrade from Howard. If Harrell was so good, the Clippers wouldn't have lost to the Nuggets. I really hope Rob is right here. Howard's ceiling was MVP caliber. Playoff Rondo also made him much better. Now, AD is gonna have to expend a lot of energy on defense guarding all those all star bigs in the West.
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
paolomagma wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:

I honestly think Harrell was Rob's priority. Obviously, Dwight wanted to come back but Trez kinda makes Dwight's role redundant. He'll get more minutes than Dwight ever did.
Rob is ruthless as far as we know. He just straight up upgraded Rondo to Schroder, Green to Wes and now Howard to Harrell. All of those guys would have loved to come back but Rob found better options.

So no. I don't like that a lot of Laker fans are (bleep) on our championship winning players. I'm sure those guys are pretty bummed.

Harrell is good but he isn't an upgrade from Howard. If Harrell was so good, the Clippers wouldn't have lost to the Nuggets. I really hope Rob is right here. Howard's ceiling was MVP caliber. Playoff Rondo also made him much better. Now, AD is gonna have to expend a lot of energy on defense guarding all those all star bigs in the West.

The Clippers lost to the Nuggets because Paul George and Kawhi choked when it mattered. In fact Harrel was the best player in the 7th.
dcastillo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject:

SPO200 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
paolomagma wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:

The Clippers lost to the Nuggets because Paul George and Kawhi choked when it mattered. In fact Harrel was the best player in the 7th.

People making to much of Howard’s defense against the Nuggets. After the first 2 games they figured it out against him
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject:

SPO200 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
paolomagma wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:

They couldn't stop Jokic who went nuts on them. The Lakers's size was so problematic to all their opponents. Harrell gave like 4 inches to Howard. I don't even know what we're gonna get out of McGee. We're suddenly not as big as we were last year.
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
SPO200 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
paolomagma wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:

They couldn't stop Jokic who went nuts on them.

That's true, specially in the second half of game 6 but Harrell only played 8 minutes there. He was not the problem of the Nuggets overtake in the second half. Harrell wasn't obviosly in his best shape in the bubble as he came just for the playoffs and was not good in the emotional part either with his grandmother's death.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject:

SPO200 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
SPO200 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
paolomagma wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:

They couldn't stop Jokic who went nuts on them.

That's true, specially in the second half of game 6 but Harrell only played 8 minutes there. He was not the problem of the Nuggets overtake in the second half. Harrell wasn't obviosly in his best shape in the bubble as he came just for the playoffs and was not good in the emotional part either with his grandmother's death.

Didn't the Clippers blow some big leads in a few games? I wouldn't put that on Harrell, he didn't even practice much as he was gone for a huge portion of the bubble
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject:

He's just a strange dude. Served us well last year, but like someone else said earlier on this thread, he's a ticking time bomb of weirdness. We were just fortunate he didn't go off last season lol. I expect something bizarre to happen to him in Philly.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject:

I was thinking about this last night. What most likely happened was Rob was gonna extend Dwight $3m... Then rich Paul dropped the bomb that Trez would come for mle. Rob's eyes got big, but he had to negotiate with Rich KCP, Trez and AD to make sure he could still carve off that $3M for D12. That's why Rob went dark for an hour. And threw the BS about owner approval. He was buying time while haggling.

For that matter, I bet Rob just laid it on the line and says he wants Dwight but is trying to manage the cap and get Harrell too. So now Dwight knows about Harrell as well.

About the only thing Rob could have said was "Dwight, chill out, I'm not going to start that midget! Just be patient" (whether that was true or not).
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
I was thinking about this last night. What most likely happened was Rob was gonna extend Dwight $3m... Then rich Paul dropped the bomb that Trez would come for mle. Rob's eyes got big, but he had to negotiate with Rich KCP, Trez and AD to make sure he could still carve off that $3M for D12. That's why Rob went dark for an hour. And threw the BS about owner approval. He was buying time while haggling.

For that matter, I bet Rob just laid it on the line and says he wants Dwight but is trying to manage the cap and get Harrell too. So now Dwight knows about Harrell as well.

About the only thing Rob could have said was "Dwight, chill out, I'm not going to start that midget! Just be patient" (whether that was true or not).

Yep. Dwight's change on his account with such abruptness proves something came out of the blue, just like his decision to post Lakers then delete it just as fast as he posted it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137  Next
Page 133 of 137
Jump to: