Frank Vogel Official Lakers Head Coach for 3-Years
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 119, 120, 121 ... 222, 223, 224  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you happy about Vogel becoming our coach?
No
12%
 12%  [ 62 ]
Yes
54%
 54%  [ 271 ]
Neutral
32%
 32%  [ 163 ]
Total Votes : 496

wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:04 am    Post subject:

We ran post ups, isolations, pick and rolls, a lot of transition.

The Lakers did not marry themselves to one particular style of play. They were not the most talented team on offense, yet their offense rating for the playoffs was one of the highest of all playoff teams.

They did really well, because I felt they kept things simple. Let Bron and Rondo set the table up, and lets look for AD as a target. We did not marry ourselves to posting up AD, but also did look for him in there. We did not marry ourselves to the pick and rolls, but did use it (although this was something we should use more of IMO, and did not use enough of it, we were one of the lowest in this area in the playoffs). We used isolations, but again not at Houston level.

I would like to see the sets on offense evolve a bit, and I exceptionally like the sets we ran where a small would run a pick for Lebron or Rondo, and we then found a mismatch or an open 3. That was working really well for us in halfcourts, I found (Although I have not looked at the numbers on this). There was a lot of concern that Kidd, Hollins and Vogel would not get the offense rolling but I think Kidd and Vogel did a good job understanding the game from PG lenses. Let the the PGs (Bron, Rondo) run the show, but make it simpler for them by ensuring they have as many play finishers around them as possible. We did that with our lineups - we tried our best to give them a target inside (Howard on a lob/roll, or AD on a roll/lob, cutters like Kuzma/Caruso. and a lot willing 3 point spot up shooters)

One could say it was the brilliance of having basketball minds like Bron and Rondo. For sure that helped. I would love to see us add another high IQ ballhandler in the offseason. At any position. We do seem to have a lot of really good role players that understand what their role is around the point guards. Cut, shoot, or roll to the basket. Screen set. Very good teamwork.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject:

Vogel Brushing His Teeth on Letterman
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Assistant Coach Mike Pentherby gives a far reaching interview where he is tremendously complimentary of Bron (among the other fellas of the squad) and reflects on some Kob stories.

https://lakersdaily.com/lakers-daily-exclusive-mike-penberthy-talks-nba-bubble-life-lebron-james-and-teams-championship-run/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:31 am    Post subject:

Nice video analysis of how we adjusted our offense in the playoffs. This is a sign of great coached team. You see all the mistakes teams like OKC made, and then we did not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Collect some receipts Frank
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject:

I had no idea that Frank Vogel was an advance scout for the Lakers in the 2005-06 season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Vogel
JPaulK0n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject:

I'm hoping and waiting for the Vogel 2-3 year extension to his current deal. He signed a 3-year deal, but Lakers need to re-up and give Vogel an extension ASAP.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject:

JPaulK0n wrote:
I'm hoping and waiting for the Vogel 2-3 year extension to his current deal. He signed a 3-year deal, but Lakers need to re-up and give Vogel an extension ASAP.
pelinka is excellent. We no longer have to worry about bad contracts or decisions
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject:

“If Frank Vogel wasn’t the coach, I don’t know if we would’ve worked. I don’t think he gets enough credit. No ego, you’re dealing with stars, and sometimes he’ll sit back when there’s six conversations and he’ll wait for them to be over. A lot of coaches have such an ego. … The preparation we had was phenomenal. The best I’ve had, and I’ve had great coaches.”

Dudley on Vogel https://lakersnation.com/lakers-news-jared-dudley-calls-frank-vogel-best-coach-hes-had/2020/10/29/
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Vogel Brushing His Teeth on Letterman

I actually remember seeing this at the time!
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:15 am    Post subject:

Potato, Antoni, Byron, Luke. How far would those guys have taken the 2019-20 team?
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:30 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
I had no idea that Frank Vogel was an advance scout for the Lakers in the 2005-06 season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Vogel

So is it possible he scouted one of Von Wafer, Turiaf, Bynum or Farmar?
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:52 am    Post subject:

drae wrote:
“If Frank Vogel wasn’t the coach, I don’t know if we would’ve worked. I don’t think he gets enough credit. No ego, you’re dealing with stars, and sometimes he’ll sit back when there’s six conversations and he’ll wait for them to be over. A lot of coaches have such an ego. … The preparation we had was phenomenal. The best I’ve had, and I’ve had great coaches.”

Dudley on Vogel https://lakersnation.com/lakers-news-jared-dudley-calls-frank-vogel-best-coach-hes-had/2020/10/29/

Now we know why lakers lowballed lue. Better optics that he walked away and they wanted frank.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:56 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
drae wrote:

Now we know why lakers lowballed lue. Better optics that he walked away and they wanted frank.

Phil Jackson was high on Vogel, because when he was running NY, it came down to Vogel and Hornachek. He had interviewed him and knew him well. He told Rambis, Rambis then told Pelinka/Jeanie. The Lakers went with Rambis/Phil influence. At the time it was seen as a bad thing that Phil/Rambis recommended this dude, and I'm sure as soon as Vogel has some losses those things will pop up again. Funny how no one in the media remembers trashing Rambis and Phil, over recommending Vogel. Suddenly, amnesia strikes, and media all along knew Vogel was a good "defensive" coach.

My props to Vogel for staying classy and not collecting receipts. He's a great dude and hell of a leader. You can see the team wants to play for him.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:29 am    Post subject:

When Frank ultimately hangs up his clip board, he will be in legend status.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject:

There's real offensive talent on this team; I wish the Lakers consider replacing Kidd with an innovative offensive coach to help Vogel with the schemes/patterns/strategy; this team is now so much more than just the AD/LBJ super-friends.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject:

Give Vogel his extension next.
Dumhead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:

MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:

A LITTLE LOUDER FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK!

Let's give Vogel a 2-year or 3-year extension right now and LET'S GO.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject:

10 more years. He's probably gonna be another long tenured coach like Popovich or Carlisle. I could see it happening.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Your turn Frank!
LastStand 2.0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Frank hit the lottery last year. He’s in heaven. Landed on the leagues premier franchise. Brought them back to prominence. Has an elite 10 deep roster
Wolverine
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject:

LastStand 2.0 wrote:
Frank hit the lottery last year.

Yeah, but it sure didn't seem that way at his introductory press conference.
DD20045
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Did any of the coaching staff change?

J Kidd still expected back? If yes, another ring this year and I bet he is looking at some head coaching jobs with bad teams next off-season.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject:

DD20045 wrote:
Did any of the coaching staff change?

No news. So I guess it's the same staff.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 119, 120, 121 ... 222, 223, 224  Next
Page 120 of 224
Jump to: