OFFICIAL ROB PELINKA THREAD.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 124, 125, 126 ... 241, 242, 243  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Rob definitely deserves credit

Starters:
Dennis Shroder
Wesley Matthews
LeBron James
Anthony Davis
Marc Gasol

Bench:
Alex Caruso
Talen Horton-Tucker
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
Kyle Kuzma
Montrezl Harrell

And now Markieff Morris vet and locker room presence on top of it.

I'd say that's a championship roster, and a pretty darn great bench.

KCP is starting not Dennis.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
MJST wrote:

Starters:
Dennis Shroder
Wesley Matthews
LeBron James
Anthony Davis
Marc Gasol

Bench:
Alex Caruso
Talen Horton-Tucker
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
Kyle Kuzma
Montrezl Harrell

Pelinka has done a great job. It is an A grade so far.
Forgot to ad McKinnie at SF.
This team is now 11 deep and probably can't find minutes for much more

Maybe a backup PG and another big center body.
But this leaves room to add development players for the future. THT is not quite ready but next year should be.
svettarsalo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject:

For several years Lakers tried to sell the city to the superstar free agents. From now on we can sell the management too. And that is huge.

Thanks to Pelinka. Respect.

Last edited by svettarsalo on Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
MJST wrote:

Starters:
Dennis Shroder
Wesley Matthews
LeBron James
Anthony Davis
Marc Gasol

Bench:
Alex Caruso
Talen Horton-Tucker
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
Kyle Kuzma
Montrezl Harrell

I think Trez and KCP (Klutch guys) will start plus Wes.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject:

LOL, of course he gets Morris also.

This guy is absolutely on fire!
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
LOL, of course he gets Morris also.

This guy is absolutely on fire!

If we look down the row in the Lounge we'll see "signed.......KCP, Morris, Matthews, Gasol, and on. The manner in which he acts is ultra decisive, knowing practically every nook and cranny to navigate to his target at the moment. Really, really impressive.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject:

Rob "Executive of the year" Pelinka, THANK YOU!
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
MJST wrote:

Starters:
Dennis Shroder
Wesley Matthews
LeBron James
Anthony Davis
Marc Gasol

Bench:
Alex Caruso
Talen Horton-Tucker
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
Kyle Kuzma
Montrezl Harrell

Not sure where I read it... but I thought Shroder is keen to start, not play off the bench. So I do think he gets a shot at it.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Wes and Montrezl both mentioned this. Whatever the FO is doing to make players feel wanted seems to be working.

Quote:
Wesley Matthews said the Lakers' "desire" for him in free agency was a key to him signing.

"You want to be wanted by the best."

epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject:

Good job the last 2 years Rob.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Wes and Montrezl both mentioned this. Whatever the FO is doing to make players feel wanted seems to be working.

Quote:
Wesley Matthews said the Lakers' "desire" for him in free agency was a key to him signing.

The main strategy the FO office is employing that's effective is (1) identifying the perfect target, (2) then they identify who has a close relatioship with that target, in Matthews's case it was Dudley, in Trez' case it was LeBron, then make the target a fair deal with the opportunity to win a championship, the trade off being a short term deal to retain cap flexibility going forth.

That approach is using the power of relationships. Rob had a great one with our legend.
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject:

It’s amazing that many said he only got the job because he was Kobe’s agent in the beginning. The flip side was pointing out the success of Bob Meyers, a former agent, in running the Golden State dynasty. Hard to argue now that agent skills don’t transfer into being a successful GM. Will Rich Paul be offered a GM job one day?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject:

If Dr. Buss was alive he would be proud of the work Pelinka is doing.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Rob-Berry Juice
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Laker4lifer4real wrote:
It’s amazing that many said he only got the job because he was Kobe’s agent in the beginning. The flip side was pointing out the success of Bob Meyers, a former agent, in running the Golden State dynasty. Hard to argue now that agent skills don’t transfer into being a successful GM. Will Rich Paul be offered a GM job one day?

Sure he'll be offered one, but I doubt he'd take it. Keep in mind there's a drop off in salary, especially when you represent multiple superstars signing massive deals.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Laker4lifer4real wrote:

Sure he'll be offered one, but I doubt he'd take it. Keep in mind there's a drop off in salary, especially when you represent multiple superstars signing massive deals.

1 - he'll sell his interest in Klutch, which should next him 6 or 7 years worth of earnings;

2 - top GMs (Riles, Buford, Ainge, Meyers) are making north of $8 million now and RP would probably start among the top salaried GMs.

3 - there is HUGE value in no longer having to babysit clients. My brother is a sports & entertainment attorney, and my sister was an agent at William Morris for years. The money and access is great, but the BS they face is extreme. My sister married well and got out after 15 years. My brother has an ex-wife and 2 baby mommas, so he needs the money and definitely doesn't want to go back to chasing ambulances!

I could see RP taking on the challenge.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Megaton wrote:
MJST wrote:

Starters:
Dennis Shroder
Wesley Matthews
LeBron James
Anthony Davis
Marc Gasol

Bench:
Alex Caruso
Talen Horton-Tucker
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
Kyle Kuzma
Montrezl Harrell

I think Trez and KCP (Klutch guys) will start plus Wes.

LOL

They didn't sign Gasol just so Trez can start.
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Judah wrote:
Laker4lifer4real wrote:

1 - he'll sell his interest in Klutch, which should next him 6 or 7 years worth of earnings;

2 - top GMs (Riles, Buford, Ainge, Meyers) are making north of $8 million now and RP would probably start among the top salaried GMs.

3 - there is HUGE value in no longer having to babysit clients. My brother is a sports & entertainment attorney, and my sister was an agent at William Morris for years. The money and access is great, but the BS they face is extreme. My sister married well and got out after 15 years. My brother has an ex-wife and 2 baby mommas, so he needs the money and definitely doesn't want to go back to chasing ambulances!

If Lebron buys a team one day in the future, Rich Paul would have to be top of the list for his first GM.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject:

Laker4lifer4real wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Judah wrote:
Laker4lifer4real wrote:

If Lebron buys a team one day in the future, Rich Paul would have to be top of the list for his first GM.

I wonder how that would work out. A lot of teams don't like Klutch. We saw Rob go through growing pains with teams not wanting to deal with him early on, though some of that might've had to do with Magic. They couldn't even give him a vote for Exec of the year after going from lottery to title contender in one year.

For now Klutch has a strong relationship with the Lakers, but RP won't have that brand power behind him with whatever team Lebron might buy.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Quote:

Recalling the days when Mitch would wait until 9:01p to call and express “interest” in a player. Modern GMing requires more creative communication, leveraging player, media, and (carefully) Agent relationships to get a read of player interests and signal your intentions.

Based on how Rob recovered from the pursuit of Kawhi, and his decisive action this year I would say he’s excellent at those things. The Kawhi situation itself is understandable also, given he is probably the most insulated guy in the league and was deliberately using the Lakers as leverage. If you have even a puncher’s chance of adding him to LeBron and Davis, you do what you have to. Now we have ample information to know that was a unique situation (including Kawhi and Ibaka trying it again).
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:39 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
ocho wrote:

Quote:

Recalling the days when Mitch would wait until 9:01p to call and express “interest” in a player. Modern GMing requires more creative communication, leveraging player, media, and (carefully) Agent relationships to get a read of player interests and signal your intentions.

Based on how Rob recovered from the pursuit of Kawhi, and his decisive action this year I would say he’s excellent at those things. The Kawhi situation itself is understandable also, given he is probably the most insulated guy in the league and was deliberately using the Lakers as leverage. If you have even a puncher’s chance of adding him to LeBron and Davis, you do what you have to. Now we have ample information to know that was a unique situation (including Kawhi and Ibaka trying it again).

Rob likely game planned Kawhi sandbagging us. He HAD to stay in the hunt as long as we had a shot, but his "Plan B" of surrounding LBJ/AD with high IQ, defensive minded, experienced vets on moveable contracts turned out to be the perfect fallback.

Ditto, his understanding that what worked last year would need to be reworked this year is on-point. Running it back with the same squad was never an option. DG was hurt and a year older. Rondo was chasing a last contract - so was Bradley. Dwight was a wildcard and JaVale was a post season non-factor.

Pelinka built a champion and - instead of falling in love with it - has made it younger, more athletic and more talented.

IMO, the only loss is the championship experience that the departed players gained last year. However, AD, Kuz, AC, Kieff & KCP now have championship experience (to add to LeBron's) - as does Gasol - and they should be able to impart that onto Schro/Trezz/Wes/McKinnie/etc.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Quote:

Rob must be getting a ton of mileage from his "bread from heaven" speech.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:06 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
ocho wrote:

Quote:

Rob likely game planned Kawhi sandbagging us. He HAD to stay in the hunt as long as we had a shot, but his "Plan B" of surrounding LBJ/AD with high IQ, defensive minded, experienced vets on moveable contracts turned out to be the perfect fallback.

Ditto, his understanding that what worked last year would need to be reworked this year is on-point. Running it back with the same squad was never an option. DG was hurt and a year older. Rondo was chasing a last contract - so was Bradley. Dwight was a wildcard and JaVale was a post season non-factor.

Pelinka built a champion and - instead of falling in love with it - has made it younger, more athletic and more talented.

IMO, the only loss is the championship experience that the departed players gained last year. However, AD, Kuz, AC, Kieff & KCP now have championship experience (to add to LeBron's) - as does Gasol - and they should be able to impart that onto Schro/Trezz/Wes/McKinnie/etc.

Rob built this roster the way he and we all should live:....balanced.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Rob Pelinka on assembling the roster, including additions of Schroder, Harrell, Gasol, and Matthews: "It’s really building a team around the identity of how the coaching staff wants to coach, and that’s with defense, high IQ and grit."

https://mobile.twitter.com/LakersReporter/status/1334953515228168192
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject:

Heads are going to have to roll if Pelinka doesn't win EoTY next season. We had nothing to work with financially and our only young "asset"was Kuz. Somehow we kept Kuz, retained the majority of our players and overall SIGNIFICANTLY improved on a championship roster.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 124, 125, 126 ... 241, 242, 243  Next
Page 125 of 243
Jump to: