Official QUINN COOK Thread (Lakers Waive Cook...and Resign Him...and Waive him)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject:

VujacicForThree wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
I hate it from a basketball perspective.

I love it from a corporate culture perspective.

Literally what is there to hate about this move? We are literally 11 players deep, and if there are injuries at the wing he has the reputation as a shooter. People are strange in man, you really expect a 20 PPG scorers to play a role of sitting on the bench not getting minutes for 90% of the year. A better question. Who would have been a better signing as a 14/15 who was on the championship team last year.

Cook was awful last year - hot garbage. It didn't matter if it was the late minutes of a blowout or a few possessions in a contested game, Cook flat out stunk.

It won't affect our playoff chances and he's probably great in the locker room - but it is not a defendable signing from a basketball perspective.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject:

Quinn Cook -
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:39 pm    Post subject:

Wait. Cookie is back?? this season is wild already
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
VujacicForThree wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Literally what is there to hate about this move? We are literally 11 players deep, and if there are injuries at the wing he has the reputation as a shooter. People are strange in man, you really expect a 20 PPG scorers to play a role of sitting on the bench not getting minutes for 90% of the year. A better question. Who would have been a better signing as a 14/15 who was on the championship team last year.

Cook was awful last year - hot garbage. It didn't matter if it was the late minutes of a blowout or a few possessions in a contested game, Cook flat out stunk.

It won't affect our playoff chances and he's probably great in the locker room - but it is not a defendable signing from a basketball perspective.

He wasn’t garbage, the dude didn’t play.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:10 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:

This is going to be a fun season.
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:31 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
VujacicForThree wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Oh for christ sake...it makes perfect sense
phantasyman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:36 pm    Post subject:

And that's why Pelinka is GM and you're not

Dr. Laker wrote:
VujacicForThree wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

phantasyman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:37 pm    Post subject:

Exactly. That dude must be noob lol

anth2000 wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
VujacicForThree wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

He wasn’t garbage, the dude didn’t play.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:59 pm    Post subject:

phantasyman wrote:
And that's why Pelinka is GM and you're not

Dr. Laker wrote:
VujacicForThree wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

My guess is Dr. Laker isn't a former 6'5 CBB star who looks like Rob Lowe and glommed onto Kobe's largesse to make his fortune and professional career. If only Dr. Laker had thought of doing that when he was 15 years old.
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:10 pm    Post subject:

Welcome back Quinn Cook!! Hope you get more playing time to knock down the treys..
Koalita
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:20 pm    Post subject:

I thought we couldn't sign him back! This is wonderful news! When I was looking at the list of remaining Free Agents, I was thinking "Damn, it'd be cool to still have Cook with us"

From a basketball perspective it makes sense. You want great locker room guys who can play their role and do their job. Chemistry can be the difference between raising another Larry O'Brien or a 2nd round choke fest
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:24 pm    Post subject:

Welp, I guess Cook brings a little comradery but not a solid ballhandler and a NEGATIVE defender. Should've brought in Harris.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:01 am    Post subject:

Glad Cook is back he might not play any role this year in our run but he holds a deep heart for me because of how he felt when the Kobe tragedy happened,
He was the first 1 at Staples Center moaning with the fans, and he’s a Laker fan.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:06 am    Post subject:

Welcome back Quinn
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:27 am    Post subject:

This signing makes sense for the following reasons:

1. Free agent market for third-string PGs dried up.

2. Cook is the best three-point shooter of the remaining free agent PGs.

3. Cook already knows the system, players, etc. (so might as well bring him back).

4. Cook could play off the ball too, which is a plus. Lakers have tall players that like to handle, such as LB and AC.

There wasn't an obvious replacement for him. You look at someone like McLaughlin and he's basically the same dude, but a lesser shooter, without the championship experience and without the familiarity wit the team.
Swagron12
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:29 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

Terrible take. You think an All Star is taking the seat and veterans min? Got to laugh at some of these “fans”
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:45 am    Post subject:

Welcome back Cookie
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:57 am    Post subject:

Cook's stats: 5.1 PPG, 1.2 RPG, and 1.1 APG in 44 regular season games (11.5 MPG)

Give this man some respect!
I'd much rather have Cook, with his skill and experience, sitting on the end of the bench than some miscellaneous, undeserving scrub.
Cook is a true professional, a two-time champion and a homegrown, life-time Laker. I'm glad the FO found a way to bring him back into the fold.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
Welp, I guess Cook brings a little comradery but not a solid ballhandler and a NEGATIVE defender. Should've brought in Harris.

In Vogel's defensive schemes last year, Cook had a DRPM of -0.08 and an overall RPM of -1.30. A DRPM of -0.08 was the 37th best among pg's last year (link). Cook's overall RPM of -1.30 ranked him as the #60 pg. For a third or fourth string point guard getting paid the vet min, this is pretty solid.

Last edited by Annihilator on Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total
LastStand 2.0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:18 am    Post subject:

People are mad at this?

Champion experience with 2 different teams, has a specific skill he’s great at in shooting. All you want from end of bench guys is to have like 1 thing they do well

He does

I mean this Shaq Harrison stuff is funny to me

The guy is 27 and can’t get signed. Maybe he’s not that good? I feel like fans all offseason have found a guy and like clung to him

I don’t get the infatuation with a guy who can’t even convince the wealth of guard needy teams to sign him
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject:

Cook has been on a few championship teams playing the same role.
He started 18 games for the Warriors championship team during their RS (17-18).
He was their backup in the following year, where they went to the Finals.

In fact, he played 34 playoff games over 2 years with the Warriors, at about 10 minutes each game.

For us, he barely played, at 6 games 4 min each game.

Frank doesn't trust his D, but he does trust that Cook knows how to play a role and will give you some shooting, and some 3rd string PG play, What happens with Dennis is hurt? Or if Bron is? Or there's a night where the shooting is woeful and you need some 3 point shooting.

I do not think he is garbage, at the same time he is not impact. He is a third string guy with a lot of NBA championship experience in that reserve role.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:42 am    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:

They had to bring back someone for Dennis to break their ankles lol
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Cook has been on a few championship teams playing the same role.
He started 18 games for the Warriors championship team during their RS (17-18).
He was their backup in the following year, where they went to the Finals.

In fact, he played 34 playoff games over 2 years with the Warriors, at about 10 minutes each game.

For us, he barely played, at 6 games 4 min each game.

Frank doesn't trust his D, but he does trust that Cook knows how to play a role and will give you some shooting, and some 3rd string PG play, What happens with Dennis is hurt? Or if Bron is? Or there's a night where the shooting is woeful and you need some 3 point shooting.

I do not think he is garbage, at the same time he is not impact. He is a third string guy with a lot of NBA championship experience in that reserve role.

Who’s D does Frank trust?
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:04 pm    Post subject:

my prediction is he bounces back off his poor shooting last year as a solid 40+% 3 shooter, if given the chance. And one of our biggest weaknesses last year was lack of consistent 3 point shooting so to have someone like him who can come in when our other guards have gone cold to make some 3s will be pretty useful.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject:

Good, I was worried the Clippers were gonna steal him...!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 15 of 17
Jump to: