If An Expansion Draft Happened After This Season, Who Are The 8 Players You Protect?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject: If An Expansion Draft Happened After This Season, Who Are The 8 Players You Protect?

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1246929/seattle-sonics-likely-first-in-line-if-nba-expands-which-silver-says-is-possible/

With a future expansion draft down the road (let's be real, it will be Seattle and Las Vegas), the rules are we can protect up to 8 players from being drafted, while others can be picked by the expansion teams.

So who would be the eight players you would choose to protect on the Lakers? Initially thinking about this question, I thought it would be difficult because of how deep the team is, but when I made my list, it actually seemed pretty clear. What do you guys think?

1. Anthony Davis
2. Lebron James
3. Dennis Schroder
4. Montrez Harrell
5. Kyle Kuzma
6. KCP
7. Talen Horton-Tucker
8. Alex Caruso

So the rest that could go would be Wesley Matthews, Markieff Morris, Marc Gasol, Alonzo McKinnie, Quinn Cook, Kostas Antetokounmpo.

The only downside would be potentially losing Markieff Morris, but everyone else, especially due to age, would be expendable.
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject:

Harrell will most likely be a free agent next year. I don't know the rules regarding free agents.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject:

SPO200 wrote:
Harrell will most likely be a free agent next year. I don't know the rules regarding free agents.

Well he's on a 2nd year player option, which he can only offically opt-out or in just before free agency starts. This hypothetical expansion draft would happen before the nba draft.

But as for the rules on upcoming unrestricted free agent players, they are ineligible to be drafted, so Wesley Matthews would be impossible for example.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject:

Probably not gonna be able to retain Harrell unless he somehow opts into next year then we'd be able to offer him $5M more year after that. Keep Kieff instead. List is quite obvious.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:57 am    Post subject:

Let those Seattle Bastards have the rotting corpse of Deng. We only have 7 guaranteed salaries for 21-22 anyway so not much value we risk losing in an expansion draft.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Since there won't be an expansion draft after this season, let's just go back to eating leftover cherry pie now.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Gonna need BOTH Seattle and Vegas to get expansion teams so the league can keep balanced conferences of 16 teams each.

So either Memphis or NO to move to the Eastern Conference in the near future? NO poses more of an immediate threat but less Zion or Ja each season is a win for the Lakers.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Depends on who Jeanie wants to pay or not.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: If An Expansion Draft Happened After This Season, Who Are The 8 Players You Protect?

Megaton wrote:
https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1246929/seattle-sonics-likely-first-in-line-if-nba-expands-which-silver-says-is-possible/

With a future expansion draft down the road (let's be real, it will be Seattle and Las Vegas), the rules are we can protect up to 8 players from being drafted, while others can be picked by the expansion teams.

So who would be the eight players you would choose to protect on the Lakers? Initially thinking about this question, I thought it would be difficult because of how deep the team is, but when I made my list, it actually seemed pretty clear. What do you guys think?

1. Anthony Davis
2. Lebron James
3. Dennis Schroder
4. Montrez Harrell
5. Kyle Kuzma
6. KCP
7. Talen Horton-Tucker
8. Alex Caruso

So the rest that could go would be Wesley Matthews, Markieff Morris, Marc Gasol, Alonzo McKinnie, Quinn Cook, Kostas Antetokounmpo.

The only downside would be potentially losing Markieff Morris, but everyone else, especially due to age, would be expendable.

Assuming the rules are the same as the last expansion draft, expansion teams would not be allowed to draft unrestricted free agents.

So, if it happened next season, you wouldn't need to protect Schroder, Morris, Caruso, Matthews, Quinn, McKinnie, or Harrell and Gasol (assuming the last two opted out). None of them would be eligible to be drafted by an expansion team.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: If An Expansion Draft Happened After This Season, Who Are The 8 Players You Protect?

Megaton wrote:

1. Anthony Davis
2. Lebron James
3. Dennis Schroder
4. Montrez Harrell
5. Kyle Kuzma
6. KCP
7. Talen Horton-Tucker
8. Alex Caruso

That list seems pretty solid. I too would not like losing Markieff but it is what it is.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
Gonna need BOTH Seattle and Vegas to get expansion teams so the league can keep balanced conferences of 16 teams each.

So either Memphis or NO to move to the Eastern Conference in the near future? NO poses more of an immediate threat but less Zion or Ja each season is a win for the Lakers.

This is what I'm hoping for. Seattle had an established and successful NBA franchise ripped away from a solid fan base by Clay Bennett, they absolutely deserve an expansion franchise. Vegas easily warrants an NBA franchise as well.

It's a big stretch to call New Orleans and Memphis "Western" teams. Maybe we'll see fewer losing teams from the East making the playoffs every season.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject:

I suspect our 'keep' list will change a bit by the time the NBA gets around to the expansion draft.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: