Thank you MARC GASOL - traded with 2024 second pick to Memphis
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 63, 64, 65  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
Would've liked Marc to play in the 4th or close the game out.

He was +14 while Trez was a -20.

He did that vs. Nurkic too. But I guess for some, that still won't count.

Seems like Vogel was testing Trezz’s limitations because Nurkic abused the Lakers when Gasol was on the bench.

Yeah, it was odd to see Frank give Trez the Doc treatment, but I'd be shocked if he does this in the playoffs like Doc did.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject:

A lot better from Marc the last 2 games. His defense around the basket has been more of what I was hoping for. Physical and not letting guys push off and get layups.

Offensively as well, he seems to have founded his role/place a bit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject:

He's still not in optimal physical shape. But he's heading in the right direction. Come playoff time, he could be a HUGE + for us. Like Rondo last year.
You need those experienced, cerebral, two-way players in the postseason.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Gasol might have made a difference in the outcome of last night's game if he was used in the 4th quarter. He was effective against Portland. Very surprised by Vogel going with Harrell instead. Might have let one slip away. Woulda coulda shoulda.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:47 pm    Post subject:

Now this may change, but 5 games in, Marc is not doing much, gets a few rebounds, but fouls too much, horrible defense, can't move, I'd rather have McGee & Howard...!
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:02 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Now this may change, but 5 games in, Marc is not doing much, gets a few rebounds, but fouls too much, horrible defense, can't move, I'd rather have McGee & Howard...!

I would suggest glasses he is getting better by the game makes almost every shot he takes which includes three’s defense is improving any understands the aspect of passing
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:30 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:

Howard I understand but McGee??????? No
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:43 am    Post subject:

We need to take advantage of Marc's size more often. We didn't really use McGee/Howard that way either, but Marc is more skilled around the basket than them, and should get a few post ups, when the opposing teams play so small against them.

5 game assessment on Marc.

Capable starter against teams with slower bigger 5s.
Should not start against more athletic 5s (in the playoffs) it needs to be AD.
Got a little better after a few horrid starts.
Good complimentary player on offense because of his ability to shoot the 3 and pass.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject:

Polarbear wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

I would suggest glasses he is getting better by the game makes almost every shot he takes which includes three’s defense is improving any understands the aspect of passing

I have glasses Richard, Oakley's Carbon Plate, and they don't see much out of this guy, you watching with rose-colored glasses?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject:

He has a very small and niche role right now. But I expect it to expand as the year goes on. And he'll be key for us in the playoffs due to his floor spacing, passing, screen setting, and paint defense.

He's the X-factor in my mind that Rondo was last year. I like the chemistry he's shown with Kuzma and THT who move well off ball.
His one glaring weakness is that he can't hard hedge the P&R on defense. But hopefully Vogel fixes Trez's defense so he can handle that type of defensive rotation if we need it in the playoffs.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject:

I am not worried about Marc. I think he will slowly turn things around. No need to hit the panic button because I think we can all agree that this most likely is not our playoff roster. Rob will make changes if needed. Gasol looked like all world one game and teased us. He has also had a couple of stinkers. The only thing I am concerned with in regards to Marc is he is not using his physicality. Sure he is old in the tooth and his legs can not chug along. That being said, he is still a big strong guy but I have yet to see him push guys around.
RashardA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject:

Offensively Gasol was a really nice addition.

Defensively he's been atrocious.

Atrocious.

He's slow on rotations and doesn't even attempt to jump to contest shots.

Its a layup line at the rim when he's in the game.

The million dollar question is does what Marc give us offensively with his passing, ability to shoot and the floor spacing he provides, outweigh him being a defensive liability?

We will find out.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject:

One of Marc's biggest additions, the ability to space the floor, will show its value in the post season when Lebron is more willing to get downhill and play aggressively vs switches.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject:

Quote:

He hasn't for 2 games now.

Positional defenders need communication and the entire team on the same page.

Even AD isn't playing much defense.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
RashardA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

I guess ive never been a fan off big men who are positional defenders.

I love shot blockers.

Shot blockers are a safety net and allows our perimeter defenders to play much more aggressively knowing they have back up at the rim.

Perimeter players are goin right at Marc with zero resistance for the most part.

Either getting layups or getting Gasol in foul trouble.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Just me or is Gasol starting to move a little more faster on the court? Seems like his conditioning is starting to Improve.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject:

RashardA wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

I guess ive never been a fan off big men who are positional defenders.

I love shot blockers.

Shot blockers are a safety net and allows our perimeter defenders to play much more aggressively knowing they have back up at the rim.

Perimeter players are goin right at Marc with zero resistance for the most part.

Either getting layups or getting Gasol in foul trouble.

Except internal defense is more than just shot blocking.

What's more valuable, someone that allows 60% at the rim, but gets 1-2 blocks. Or someone that allows 40% at the rim but doesn't get "blocks"?

Shot blocking is flashy but just because someone blocks shots doesn't make them a better defender than someone whom doesn't.

Gasol was one of the best defenders in the league last year and one of the best rim protectors and paint protectors and post defenders. Did he rack up a lot of blocks while doing it? No. But that doesn't matter, because he still did it.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Because perimeter defenders are playing ole' defense?

We're ranked #8 in the league (SSS) in terms of opponent field goal percentage, and even slightly better than last year through 6 games.

All of 0.003%. We don't even have a fully in shape Gasol (though way improved), an engaged AD, a more in shape Wesley Matthews, etc.

LAL is even number 7 in blocked shots at 5.8 a game.

LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

We're ranked #8 in the league (SSS) in terms of opponent field goal percentage, and even slightly better than last year through 6 games.

All of 0.003%. We don't even have a fully in shape Gasol (though way improved), an engaged AD, a more in shape Wesley Matthews, etc.

The first 6 games it feels more of a point of attack (or generally perimeter) defensive issue than an interior defense problem. Opponents are already downhill and that’s tough for any defender.

Harrell is struggling, but it’s more about technique and positioning. Hollins and Vogel can fix some of his issues imo. AD is not fully engaged like you mentioned. He even said he played like (bleep) on defense last night.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

The first 6 games it feels more of a point of attack (or generally perimeter) defensive issue than an interior defense problem. Opponents are already downhill and that’s tough for any defender.

Harrell is struggling, but it’s more about technique and positioning. Hollins and Vogel can fix some of his issues imo. AD is not fully engaged like you mentioned. He even said he played like (bleep) on defense last night.

Yep. I think with the shortened offseason and added talent, it's just way too early to say any player sucks on defense, and that goes for Harrell and Gasol, and it doesn't help that there's no one in free agency that can replace that.

Morris is a stud 3rd big, and the irony would be acquiring a 3rd big that can actually swat really well, and then give up higher FG% anyway because of their other deficiencies.

Otherwise, John Henson would be the guy.

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject:

What's Larry Sanders doing these days? If only that guy could keep his focus more...the career earnings he squandered...
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Just me or is Gasol starting to move a little more faster on the court? Seems like his conditioning is starting to Improve.

He's definitely moving better, looks like he's lost a couple of pounds too.

As a team, clearly Vogel is still working on his rotations and our new players are still thinking on defense rather than reacting, but that will become 2nd nature for them all.

I wanted to see us get 20 games in, given the short off season and TC. To me our offense is unstoppable and we still have a lot of room to grow. Our defense is disinterested and a work in progress. And if we just stop the unforced turnovers, there aren't any teams that can deal with us without a Gary Trent going career night mode.

#BannersOverBillboards
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject:

He has been doing a great job on defense for the last few games. Quick hands, good positioning defense. He was the DPOY for a reason. Also our offense is on another level with him on the court.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
What's Larry Sanders doing these days? If only that guy could keep his focus more...the career earnings he squandered...

During the bubble he was practically begging the Heat to sign him saying he can guard AD and that he's working out twice a day

I have no idea what he has left and how good he is mentally but if everything checks out he has some great potential as that insurance big that can focus just on defense. Like you said though, there is a reason nobody has touched him or even given him a glimmer of hope in 3 years.
Trevacious2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:32 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
He has been doing a great job on defense for the last few games. Quick hands, good positioning defense. He was the DPOY for a reason. Also our offense is on another level with him on the court.

Just some beautiful work here. Love those give and gos and outlet passes. On defense, if you can't sky for the shot block, being quick with the hands down low for strips is an edge, too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U2PLpEeOjxk
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 63, 64, 65  Next
Page 22 of 65
Jump to: