Thank you MARC GASOL - traded with 2024 second pick to Memphis
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 63, 64, 65  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
point-guard
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Hilarious.

https://twitter.com/AlexmRegla/status/1346891574190374913

https://twitter.com/AlexmRegla/status/1346893261344964608

precisely why we need 1 more,

1. incase gasol gets injured /foul troube

2. when gasol sits we can have a different kind of vertical man mountain intimidation

3. if we ever need to play both at the same time.

dwight + gasol would have been (bleep) perfect
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject:

I think Gasol's defense been looking better each game, he was better than Boogie and looking like he kept wood in check for most part
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject:

Slowly, starting to see the value of having that spacing around Bron-AD with Gasol.

The Lakers sets are so much better spaced out this year, with a lot more offensive options.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject:

point-guard wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Hilarious.

https://twitter.com/AlexmRegla/status/1346891574190374913

https://twitter.com/AlexmRegla/status/1346893261344964608

precisely why we need 1 more,

1. incase gasol gets injured /foul troube

2. when gasol sits we can have a different kind of vertical man mountain intimidation

3. if we ever need to play both at the same time.

dwight + gasol would have been (bleep) perfect

Harrell's better than Dwight.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject:

Gasol and Davis complimenting each other very well defensively now that Davis is getting more engaged defensively and Gasol is playing himself further into shape.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject:

Gasol and Davis complimenting each other very well defensively now that Davis is getting more engaged defensively and Gasol is playing himself further into shape.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

As long as everyone stays healthy, the Lakers are going to get back to dominating the league with their defense. I fully expect the Points in Paint stat to decrease as we get closer to the playoffs.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Still would like to see one more guy in the mix with some different skill sets to compliment Gasol. But it isn't the worst problem to have sitting on the best record in the league.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:14 am    Post subject:

Gasol 13 games 19mpg 1.6bpg so far

Dwight 69 games (last season) 19mpg 1.1 bpg
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:26 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

It is the defensive positioning to challenge shots and your own man, it is quite different. Plus, Dwight gave the Lakers a level of intimidation and physicality we don't have this year. But for sure, even when we signed him, I was happy it was Gasol over McGee. The move was never Gasol over McGee. All of this started, with McGee opting (right for him, screwed us up). Once McGee opted in, Dwight saw Trez coming, and McGee signed, and knew AD plays 5 as well. Lakers made no offer, and he walked to a team that had guaranteed minutes/role and an offer (right move for him). I bet you if we move McGee right away, or McGee opts out, this would have turned out a bit different and we may have had Dwight, Gasol and Trez. But, in the end, the truth is, the Lakers did rely on Dwight only in 1 playoff series out of 4 in a heavy way (Denver). It remains to be seen if Marc can defend elite 5s the way Dwight can, and for sure Trez can not. We have to watch Marc's defense against elite 5s these upcoming match ups with Denver or what not. And then see if another move is needed to be made.

In terms of fitting around AD-Bron, as Mike AT LG says. Those guys are like positional cheat codes. They can play any spot 1-5 any role. So I was confident Marc would fit in as a 3 point shooter, screen setter, passer, as he has began to.

The key is again match ups against elite 5s such as Ayton (if Suns are a playoff team we face), Jokic etc. These playoff teams we may face ...... in a 7 game series. Having a shut down guy like Dwight was a major asset.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject:

We have to get to the playoffs healthy. Marc is in his mid-30s, missed 30+ games last year, and is still looking a bit pudgy. I don't want to subject AD to too many 5 minutes in the regular season and get him to playoff games intact. I would hope when we have the cap space for an additional player that we can look for one more big body to help us through this COVID infested season.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
We have to get to the playoffs healthy. Marc is in his mid-30s, missed 30+ games last year, and is still looking a bit pudgy. I don't want to subject AD to too many 5 minutes in the regular season and get him to playoff games intact. I would hope when we have the cap space for an additional player that we can look for one more big body to help us through this COVID infested season.

funny you say he look pudgy, I think DB noted vogel made Marc played in garbage time to get him in shape lol
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject:

In the last couple of games he has been getting to his spots in defense. It's funny how players just rebound when they meet the mountain 🏔️.

And man, does he have fast hands!@
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject:

yeah Marc has been getting to his spots better and played better into shape and he's contesting and blocking more shots now.

Put that in combination with Anthony Davis also doing the same and they are a terror defensively.

Marc Gasol was one of the best defensive bigs in the league last year. Without Anthony Davis by his side.

So together, when healthy and in shape they'll be a very solid defensive tandem.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
governator wrote:

It is the defensive positioning to challenge shots and your own man, it is quite different. Plus, Dwight gave the Lakers a level of intimidation and physicality we don't have this year. But for sure, even when we signed him, I was happy it was Gasol over McGee. The move was never Gasol over McGee. All of this started, with McGee opting (right for him, screwed us up). Once McGee opted in, Dwight saw Trez coming, and McGee signed, and knew AD plays 5 as well. Lakers made no offer, and he walked to a team that had guaranteed minutes/role and an offer (right move for him). I bet you if we move McGee right away, or McGee opts out, this would have turned out a bit different and we may have had Dwight, Gasol and Trez. But, in the end, the truth is, the Lakers did rely on Dwight only in 1 playoff series out of 4 in a heavy way (Denver). It remains to be seen if Marc can defend elite 5s the way Dwight can, and for sure Trez can not. We have to watch Marc's defense against elite 5s these upcoming match ups with Denver or what not. And then see if another move is needed to be made.

In terms of fitting around AD-Bron, as Mike [AT] LG says. Those guys are like positional cheat codes. They can play any spot 1-5 any role. So I was confident Marc would fit in as a 3 point shooter, screen setter, passer, as he has began to.

The key is again match ups against elite 5s such as Ayton (if Suns are a playoff team we face), Jokic etc. These playoff teams we may face ...... in a 7 game series. Having a shut down guy like Dwight was a major asset.

Dwight was absolutely not shutting down Jokic in any way. After the first couple of games Jokic was getting what he wanted for the most part and laughing off Dwight trying to "intimidate" him. He made him work a bit harder but Marc has shown he can do that as well in there past matchups. Plus Dwight tried to get into Jokic's head which kind of worked for 1 game but then it got reversed and it looked like Dwight was a ticking time bomb about to explode at any moment from game 3 on. I can guarantee that wont happen with Marc.

Marc has been doing this for years and years including just last season. As long as we don't run him into the ground which we def. wont I see no reason he wont do it this year as well in limited minutes. Even if he gets some small injury at some point, just shut him down and make sure he's good to go for the Playoffs and we're fine.

I'm all for getting that emergency end of the bench just in case big but it's not really that serious at this point imo.

I also believe Trezz is much better defensively then many here like to give him credit for. It's common sense he shouldn't be left on an island against guys like Jokic or Embiid and that will never happen as a Laker. He's fine against any bench big or starter for a couple minutes imo because they have to guard him as well.

Last edited by hype on Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
governator wrote:

In terms of fitting around AD-Bron, as Mike _at_ LG says. Those guys are like positional cheat codes. They can play any spot 1-5 any role. So I was confident Marc would fit in as a 3 point shooter, screen setter, passer, as he has began to.

The only moment Dwight had against Jokic in the playoffs was that small one where he started to get under Jokic's skin by being an obnoxious ass. Other than that, Dwight got tuned tf up by Jokic.

That said I would still like Dwight back. He gives us yet another dimension.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
governator wrote:

In terms of fitting around AD-Bron, as Mike ( a t ) LG says. Those guys are like positional cheat codes. They can play any spot 1-5 any role. So I was confident Marc would fit in as a 3 point shooter, screen setter, passer, as he has began to.

But...... Howard didn't shut Jokic down.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject:

^ Dwight could body Jokic down low and frustrate him. Jokic can shoot, but he's not perimeter-centric like Dirk was. Taking away a few easy low post points from him every game in the playoffs can help swing a series. Howard also got Jokic several times on the offensive glass that series.

Marc can body up Jokic on defense just as well and even if he's not going to generate extra possessions through ORBs like Dwight, Gasol forcing Jokic to come out and guard in space should be a big win for the Lakers against the Nuggets defense.

Trezz likely still struggles to defend Jokic, but the Lakers can keep Gasol and AD on Jokic at all times if need be and then have Harrell feast against Isaiah Hartenstein or whoever their backup C is now.
BlueNGold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:05 am    Post subject:

I have been critical of Gasol so far this season and I'm not 100% sold.

But I would be remiss to not bring attention to the Raptors on D this year compared to last year. Of the two, Raptors fans claim that Gasol was the superior defender to Serge, so their drop off may be primarily thanks to Gasol leaving.

Crazy to think that he brought that much to that defense.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject:

hype wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
governator wrote:

In terms of fitting around AD-Bron, as Mike -at- LG says. Those guys are like positional cheat codes. They can play any spot 1-5 any role. So I was confident Marc would fit in as a 3 point shooter, screen setter, passer, as he has began to.

Dwight was absolutely not shutting down Jokic in any way. After the first couple of games Jokic was getting what he wanted for the most part and laughing off Dwight trying to "intimidate" him. He made him work a bit harder but Marc has shown he can do that as well in there past matchups. Plus Dwight tried to get into Jokic's head which kind of worked for 1 game but then it got reversed and it looked like Dwight was a ticking time bomb about to explode at any moment from game 3 on. I can guarantee that wont happen with Marc.

Marc has been doing this for years and years including just last season. As long as we don't run him into the ground which we def. wont I see no reason he wont do it this year as well in limited minutes. Even if he gets some small injury at some point, just shut him down and make sure he's good to go for the Playoffs and we're fine.

I'm all for getting that emergency end of the bench just in case big but it's not really that serious at this point imo.

I also believe Trezz is much better defensively then many here like to give him credit for. It's common sense he shouldn't be left on an island against guys like Jokic or Embiid and that will never happen as a Laker. He's fine against any bench big or starter for a couple minutes imo because they have to guard him as well.

Wolf your 100% right..Hype your 100% wrong...Dwight completely contained Jokic in the play-offs, in fact he was a non-factor...Murray was the problem and kept them competitive.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
I think Gasol's defense been looking better each game, he was better than Boogie and looking like he kept wood in check for most part

This....I've been very critical of Marc initially but honestly he's been a lot better...It's a different type of D than Dwight...Marc stays in his position, lets the offensive player drive into him. He keeps his hands up and either blocks the shot or holds his position so the offensive player creates all the contact. Dwight moved better and challenged every shot...It would be great to have both..but right now I'm not complaining.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject:

as far as Trez and the whole Jokic debacle. i mean, Harrell is too short to be a full time center. but he has heart and he's built like a tank. i still think his natural position is PF, but he has to be a reliable 3 point threat. hopefully mike penberthy is working with him,

but as far as being that back up 5, he still has value. mainly as a "punching bag" between centers like joker and AD. basically Trez gets physically pummeled by joker, with AD right behind him getting the job done on the defensive end.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
as far as Trez and the whole Jokic debacle. i mean, Harrell is too short to be a full time center. but he has heart and he's built like a tank. i still think his natural position is PF, but he has to be a reliable 3 point threat. hopefully mike penberthy is working with him,

but as far as being that back up 5, he still has value. mainly as a "punching bag" between centers like joker and AD. basically Trez gets physically pummeled by joker, with AD right behind him getting the job done on the defensive end.

The front office went out and got Gasol because of every point made in your post about Trez. Too short, physically pummeled against NJ, guilty. We basically have 3 centers. Gasol, AD, & Trez. Which one plays the most w/AD will depend on the opponent.

I, like some others here, still would like to see one more big added to our group.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
^ Dwight could body Jokic down low and frustrate him. Jokic can shoot, but he's not perimeter-centric like Dirk was. Taking away a few easy low post points from him every game in the playoffs can help swing a series. Howard also got Jokic several times on the offensive glass that series.

Marc can body up Jokic on defense just as well and even if he's not going to generate extra possessions through ORBs like Dwight, Gasol forcing Jokic to come out and guard in space should be a big win for the Lakers against the Nuggets defense.

Trezz likely still struggles to defend Jokic, but the Lakers can keep Gasol and AD on Jokic at all times if need be and then have Harrell feast against Isaiah Hartenstein or whoever their backup C is now.

Agree with everything here. I get the argument for keeping Dwight, but what I don't get is the constant obsession with it (directing this at a segment of Laker fans in general, not even LG-specific). He was good for us. At the same time, he was not as essential as people make him out to be, and that goes doubly so considering who we were able to get as replacements. The popular opinion that Dwight "shut down" Jokic is the usual old school, casual fan-type going off what they saw in a few highlight clips of him flexing on Joker during that series.

I also don't think we could rely on him to be as motivated/"well-behaved" as he was last season ever again, but that's just my personal opinion. Buy low/sell high is never a bad strategy...
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject:

Dwight gone because he is impatient. If I have a choice between Dwight and Gasol, I would rather have Gasol as the starting center. Defensively we didn’t lose much, Dwight will have more highlight blocks since he is more athletic, but overall there D there is not much drop off. Offensively Gasol is much better than Dwight. I do think we need another center, but I don’t see a rush cause I’m sure we can pick up a big body once we can use the remainder of our cash to sign another player.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 63, 64, 65  Next
Page 24 of 65
Jump to: