SPURS -at- LAKERS – 1-7-21 - DIY Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:20 pm    Post subject: SPURS -at- LAKERS – 1-7-21 - DIY Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

I may miss the next few games traveling. We’ll see.

Post your thoughts here.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject:

First.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: SPURS -at- LAKERS – 1-7-21 - DIY Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

DancingBarry wrote:

Post your thoughts here.

I wish I missed it
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: SPURS -at- LAKERS – 1-7-21 - DIY Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

DancingBarry wrote:

That was for the best with tonight’s game lol

Safe travels
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:40 pm    Post subject:

They just haven’t been up for most of these games. Got burned tonight.

Not every team will shoot as poorly as Memphis did and obviously tonight the Spurs with an outlier game from 3.

Just got to be better. There is 0 interior defense when AD is not engaged. Harrell scores, but he gives up just as much, if not more on the defensive end.

Need to start cleaning up their effort and game.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: SPURS -at- LAKERS – 1-7-21 - DIY Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

DancingBarry wrote:

Post your thoughts here.

Traveling? You weren't the Buffalo Man, were you DB?
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:08 pm    Post subject:

Hopefully Wolf will jump in, as he does great when DB is unable to go forth with a summary.

My take:

The loss we saw coming. Lakers struggled to beat a beaten up Grizz team. They now faced a fully armed and loaded Spurs team who lost to the Lakers twice last week, minus Aldridge.

Spurs showed up big time on offense, raining 3's all over. Lakers inconsistent effort that arose the past week or so showed up again, and it cost them. They did not rotate well on defense, allowing open 3's. Their offense went through moments of being sloppy. AD was not the defensive presence we are use to seeing. Vog needs to stop starting Kuz at the 2.

Lakers did make a nice run in the third to get the game tied; but Vog was insistent on using an inefficient Kuz basically the entire 4th (making some odd lineups)...and in the 4th the Spurs pulled away.

Hopefully this loss gets the team more up for the next few games.

Spurs shot 45% from 3; Lakers 33% (they were at 31% until the last minute) with the Spurs drilling 6 more 3's. Spurs also had 6 turnovers to the Lakers 13. Lakers missed 8 FT's. All that in the end can be looked at as the big issues tonight, despite the Lakers scoring much more in the paint, outrebounding the Spurs, and overall shooting % being higher.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: SPURS -at- LAKERS – 1-7-21 - DIY Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

angrypuppy wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

Post your thoughts here.

Ha. No way, man. I tell you what, though, if I was in Congress they might be putting up a plaque in my memory because I’d have been the dumbass who wasn’t going to give up the capitol building to a bunch of nut jobs without a fight.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: SPURS -at- LAKERS – 1-7-21 - DIY Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

DancingBarry wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

Post your thoughts here.

Ha. No way, man. I tell you what, though, if I was in Congress they might be putting up a plaque in my memory because I’d have been the dumbass who wasn’t going to give up the capitol building to a bunch of nut jobs without a fight.

You and me both, DB. I'd be a statistic
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:36 am    Post subject:

Thanks for keeping the comments going while you're away, DB.

One to forget. Looking forward to the next.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:10 am    Post subject:

The Spurs went 20/40 from three against the Clippers the other night, then 16/35 against us. Missed KCP running players off the 3pt line
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject:

I did not watch this one with intention to do a recap T&R style, I watched rather casually but here is my best take

Lakers lost the 3 point shooting battle in this one (-18) and ran into a hot shooting Spurs team that had more floor balance with LMA. This same Spurs team beat the Clips the other night as well. The Spurs have just been real hot from 3, but we also allowed them some spacing on 3s that we should not be.

Statistical breakdown:

Lakers won the paint battle 66-34 (+26)
Lakers lost the 3 point shooting battle -18
Lakers didn’t get much in transition (only 8 points, -3)

Strength of this team is 3 point shooting, paint play, transition. We lost 2/3. Typically we win 2/3 of these 3 key areas i find.

Starters Gasol/AD/Kuz/Schroder/Bron: Every starter was a negative in the box plus minus in this one, a stat that can be misleading at times, but 9 games in, the rotation has shown consistent issues.

Lebron Good overall game, statistically looks very good, but key moments in the game, Bron came up a little short. Team as a whole did not do a good job rotating to 3 point shooters, but felt this game was coming, the turn it on late, coast. Action: had some good sequences pushing the ball, from end to end, creating a shot for teammates. A very effective play. A lot of well spaced out and effective post ups/bully balll that led to him getting doubled/tripled and finding an open man. Lebron attacked the paint really well off the dribble in this one. Bron finished with 27 points, 12 assists, 6 boards and was a -10.

AD Up and down game by AD. On offense you felt he could go for a lot more, and he was effective. On defense he had some good moments but didn’t impose his will. I also think AD is suffering from not having Danny Green and Rondo types around him, who are great supporting teammates on both ends. AD is more of a teacher this year on D and has to keep reengaging in conversation on defense it would seem. Action: great left block post up on LMA led to a spin move and dunk. We needed more sets to get him involved. These were games last year he would be for sure getting the ball more and going for 30+. Connected with Alex and Dennis on some pick and roll plays as a roll man. Some great looking fake the 3 and drive to the basket layups. A few great defensive switches on smalls on the perimeter that led to stops. AD finished the game with 23 points 10 boards 3 assists and 3 blocks, was a -10

Schroder Not a good game by Dennis. Saw this coming, the way he has been playing for us. When season began his shot was on, and a lot of the selfish low IQ plays were not being exposed. Once his shot isn’t falling, we have seen his impact be a lot less. I have made it known that I think the Lakers are best served with Dennis/Trez running 2 man games coming into a game off the bench, but for now we are not going that route and it is hurting our game management. A little late to close out some 3 pointers in this one. Man D was good though. Action: A little late to close out on some 3 pointers and also missed all his 3 point attempts. A couple of nice drives that usually are quite effective but the shots and flow when he was there just was off all game long. Was a team worst -18. Dennis finished with 6 points 2 assists and was a -18.

Gasol A little lost in this one. With LMA being able to space the floor, this was a more realistic playoff challenge for the Lakers D. And we saw that anytime guards got into P&R coverage, Gasol’s mobility did become an issue. We didn’t involve him too much in the offense. Action: Not a whole lot to report, other than we were having some issues when he was switching on S&R plays. AD and him a few times went to the same spot (that Center mentality). Marc finished with 4 points 1 rebound and was a -16 in just 14 minutes.

Kuz Not a good one from Kuz. He is very confident this year stepping into shots and taking them in the offense, but he has to also make them. Defensively, a little confusion with the starters again. The chemistry just is not there on a consistent basis on D or O. Action: Buried a corner 3 pointer from a Lebron feed. Finished a missed layup. Is doing good at moving in the offense and making quick decisions. But only shot 6-16 which for a 4th option starter on a 2 superstar team is just too high. We do not need Kuz shooting 16 shots a game. Kuz finished with 13 points on a poor 6-16 shooting 10 boards and was a -17.

Bench observations + Coaching:

The lineup that brought us back in the game, is the sort of playoff lineup I hope we play as a starting 5. AD-Bron-Wesley-THT-Caruso. Really outplayed the Spurs and brought it into a 1 possession game before Bron sat. Then Frank went with Trez, staggered Dennis and Bron as the PG, and it did not go well on either end. We tried to switch back to AD at the 5 late in the game but it was too late. Matchups like these, Frank has to get Wesley in the game more, utilize AD as the 5 more (it is not a physical match up for AD there) and rely on his defensive high quality 2-way role guys like Alex, Wes, etc. I feel we could have won this game had we went back to AD-Bron-Wesley-THT-Caruso lineup that was very effective on both ends.

Trez - continues to be out of place on our team. We need to give him Dennis as a constant 2-man game option to max out his O potential in small bursts. Until I see this or a PG brought in for him, I can not give up on him.

Alex - Nice game from after a hiatus. His 3 ball looks better, and he should be one of the guys I think we need to consider starting (or Wesley) with KCP. We need more balance on the floor and AD-Bron centric (D and O) schemes. Alex is that.

THT - Best game of the season, really showed some future starter around AD-Bron material in this one.

Will try to do keep my notes for the Bulls game in case DB is a no go. Should be more detailed. Lakers need to get a W and come out with a purpose.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject:

The bench kept the Lakers in this game. Starters were lethargic and out of synch. Part of that was the hot shooting from the Spurs and part of it was effort. The example was Kuzma. While he had a double double (13 points 10 boards) he had zero assists, zero steals, zero blocks and only 1 foul. He took 16 shots to get 13 points. Instead of making the extra pass or executing help defense, he played solo IMO last night.

Gasol has been getting in foul trouble a lot in the last couple of games limiting his time and causing Harrell to be on the floor more than I would like. Morris is essentially our 3rd center but he gives up too much defensively to be effective in this role. Gasol needs to stay out of foul trouble so he can contribute more.

THT was definitely in Mark Aguirre mode last night. Small dude who can get inside and get buckets despite his lack of size. The key to his success is continuing to be aggressive. On nights were he is aggressive he will be successful. When he sits back and lets the game come to him, it will be a 5 point 3 rebound type of game.

13 turnovers were lower than average this year and while 33% from 3 point land is not bad it could not overcome 45% 3 point shooting from the Spurs. They were wicked hot last night.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject:

Wolf - - Thanks!
Dmagic
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject:

gasol had bad energy to start the game and we never recovered. in part also to shroeder out there playing like he didnt want the ball and even hiding from lebron at times bc he didnt want the pressure or role of playmaking im guessing.
to me they played like there is some discord behind the scenes.
it can take an entire season to shake the jitters. ask kcp who really developed under a full season with lebron.
the problem is that trezz and shroeder arent necessarily high iq players. on or off the court and i think this is what is going on behind the scenes.
lebron will get them on board soon. bc he is the only alpha. him and gasol but gasol isnt in game shape yet mentally or physically
but its clear that we need to gameplan around the fact we are missing another big. or we need to go out and sign one.
vogel needs to make sure there is at least one player on the court from last year. bc having all fresh players out there with lebron like wes, shroeder,trezz, and tht is a bad line-up.even tho tht was here last year its still a lineup where all players are relying on bron for playmaking and flow. and thats unnnacceptable.. players need to get in where they fit in and if they scared or unwilling. then it needs to be handled. since we in LA. it wont go unnoticed or unheard of. so thats a plus esp with lebron and his passive aggression...love and stay fly my people and yes tht plays with balls. one of few atm
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: SPURS -at- LAKERS – 1-7-21 - DIY Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

DancingBarry wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

Post your thoughts here.

With you all the way DB !!! All the way !

Safe travels.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
The lineup that brought us back in the game, is the sort of playoff lineup I hope we play as a starting 5. AD-Bron-Wesley-THT-Caruso. Really outplayed the Spurs and brought it into a 1 possession game before Bron sat. Then Frank went with Trez, staggered Dennis and Bron as the PG, and it did not go well on either end.

I think we'll see more experimenting from Vogel lineup wise until he knows what works and what doesn't. He knows AD, Bron, and Kieff together with 2 guards works, that's the lineup that won us the championship. This lineup works as well, Vogel will tuck that piece away too.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Wolf👍 Nice summary
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject:

Laker7 wrote:

The key to his success is continuing to be aggressive. On nights were he is aggressive he will be successful. When he sits back and lets the game come to him, it will be a 5 point 3 rebound type of game.

Yeah, I’d like us to give him more freedom to make mistakes. Just keep him aggressive and give him time to learn from the mistakes.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: