Think We Need a Rim Protecting Big? (LAL rank 23rd in Defending Points in Paint)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
I mean, Marc shut down Valanciunas. Dude was fumbling ALL night long.

Marc do look better compare to when he played Ayton, seems more mobile and def more engaged. His ball swipe (not nut swipe) on post player is nicely time
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject:

Arguably Gasol is great for 20 mins a game.

The discussion is about the other 28mins of the game. Or the makeshift lineups that need to be trotted out when rest days and injuries create some obvious issues.

JMO but the addition of another C with size is not at Gasol’s expense, it is more about eating up those regular season mpg that you need to rely on Davis or undersized options when things go off schedule.

Lakers are benefiting from an easy schedule, good health and a deep and talented roster. Yet still getting pushed into tough games by less talented and undermanned rosters.

Going to be interesting to see how the team responds to the inevitable nights they are the undermanned team. Will they show the same resilience and effort? How will they react when some of their center play and rotations are upset by missed games.

“When healthy” is every teams battle cry. But especially the Lakers. Love the early wins and returns on the new players( like Gasol) but adversity is inevitable. Can’t wait to see how Vogel responds when center options are limited even more.
lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Tonights game......another example of why we need an athletic big to back up Gasol
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject:

Plenty of time and plenty of assets (Harrell/Schroder) to trade for a good big. Just waiting to see what's available. I'm sure a lot of teams could use Schroder or Harrell. Schroder has just been a terrible fit so far.

Even if he was good at passing and driving, those kills wouldn't even be utilized if he was on the floor with Lebron at the same time. That's why "playoff" Rondo was like a godsend. He was like a mini Lebron that actually came off the bench. It was sooo...perfect.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:57 pm    Post subject:

AD fuming is going to get the ball rolling on Rob to find a defensive big.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:14 am    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:

We can only hope. Gasol / Harrell just aren't cutting it.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:25 am    Post subject:

BlueNGold wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:

We can only hope. Gasol / Harrell just aren't cutting it.

But it is early in the the season, they had a short off- season, Gasol’s defensive stats are awesome, Harrell has a long reach, they are just pacing themselves.....

Did I miss any of the usual excuses?

The game is simple. Play hard and efficiently and good results typically happen. Don’t and you allow less talented players to outwork you and you typically lose.

Lakers players have to decide if they are really invested in defending the title or just pacing themselves through a season. Up to them to decide. Because the stats from last year or their opponents don’t care. They just want to win.

Waiting for the Lakers to decide if they want to win.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject:

I think the most bipolar poll to run would be trading DS for Green Howard and a 2nd.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject:

How many lob dunks has Harrell made for this season? How many of those did Howard make last season? I mean if you look at everything that Harrell is good at that made him sixth man of the year, there are still many things he couldn't do that Howard was very good at. And our team actually needs a lot of things that Howard are good at such as rim protection, rebounding and easy lobs.

I think people might have underestimated Howard's contribution on the offensive end. He might not have any offensive skillset but what he does have is athleticism and the Lakers were "equipped" with players that could take advantage of his athleticism. His lob threat is actually a huge deal for teams to deal with because they can't just leave him open. Defensively, when you take away one pillar of the twin towers of Howard and AD, the tower crumbles so I don't blame AD one bit for our soft defense this year.

Can we still do a Howard for Harrell trade?
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Overall, our defense in the paint suck!

For every charge call Trezz gets in his favor, he still ends up giving the other team 5-6 baskets around the paint.

Gasol is fine guarding bigs like Valanciunas, but he’s totally hopeless against penetrating wings and guards who just runs pass him for easy layups.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:47 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
I mean, Marc shut down Valanciunas. Dude was fumbling ALL night long.

I hope we're not at the point of defending our lack of a defensive 7 footer (sans AD) by claiming we had Jonas Valanciunas fumbling all night. JV is one of 5 or 6 matchups having a center like Gasol would be great for. The others: Jokic, Nurkic, Embiid, Gobert (maybe), Cousins.

I'm not mad at Marc as our starting center if he was playing 14 mins a game. But right now he's at 18/19 and Trez is nearly struggling against size. AD's effort clearly has not been there thus far and perhaps he's a little banged up.
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:07 pm    Post subject:

When Gasol is playing with AD, he is better staying at high post setting pick, dishing assist and taking 3. He play well with LB, Kuz and Dennis. He couldn’t be used as a defensive big in the low post like DH or McGee
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:32 pm    Post subject:

4 blocks by Gasol tonight as well on top of everything else.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject:

I was surprised watching tonight’s Lakers game when they showed this years team has essentially identical offensive and defensive statistics compared to last year, and the differential in blocks isn’t even that big considering AD isn’t even exerting himself defensively this year.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:19 pm    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
I was surprised watching tonight’s Lakers game when they showed this years team has essentially identical offensive and defensive statistics compared to last year, and the differential in blocks isn’t even that big considering AD isn’t even exerting himself defensively this year.

Same here when they showed those stats. It just looks like even weak teams are getting better shots at the rim this year.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:22 pm    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:

Lakers have one of the weakest strength of schedule so far, something like 25th-27th so we’re playing against “bad” teams.

So all these numbers are way too early still to compare to last hear.

If anything our numbers should be better this season since we’ve been playing mostly bad teams.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:30 pm    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:

Last year's team was more athletic and flashier. Howard and McGee provide highlight dunks and blocks. Only difference I see. Their combined stats are pretty similar. But we are getting less blocks in the C position. But Gasol and Harrell only played 10 games so far and those total are not including tonight's stats.

Dwight/Javale
14.1ppg / 13rpg / 1.2apg / 2.5blks in 36mpg

Gasol/Harrell
16.2ppg / 12.6rpg / 3.4apg / 1.4blks in 42.5mpg

Last edited by miggz23 on Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:50 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
LakersMD wrote:

Last year's team was more athletic and flashier. Howard and McGee provide highlight dunks and block. Only difference I see. Their combined stats are pretty similar. But we are getting less blocks in the C position. But Gasol and Harrell only played 10 games so far and those total are not including tonight's stats.

Dwight/Javale
14.1ppg / 13rpg / 1.2apg / 2.5blks in 36mpg

Gasol/Harrell
16.2ppg / 12.6rpg / 3.4apg / 1.4blks in 42.5mpg

the 3.4 assists also means extra points as well.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject:

^
On offense we should be better with Gasol-Trez but the issue is that since we also added Dennis a high usage player (23-24% usage rate) and he is not naturally a guy that can get bigs the ball effectively, or run high IQ offense, we are not maximizing the offensive potential of Gasol-Trez-AD 5 spot rotation.

On paper a Gasol-Trez-AD rotation at the 5 should be league best on offense, and I think it will get there, But we have issues with many little things at the moment

Think about how well the team used Trez with Alex/THT and role players. No AD either. Trez is (or should be) a high usage/involved guy, and Gasol is a guy you need to run the offense up high through. Lets see how this evolves, because to make up for the lost size/athleticism, we need to flat out dominate on offense, which we are not. To do that though, we must keep them involved. Trez when he is in the game, our priority should be to get S&Rs going with Bron/Trez or Alex/Trez or Dennis/Trez. And find Trez spots in post. With Gasol, we are trusting him with the ball up high, but then not cutting off the ball like the Raptors wings were. We need to move more.

It is like this for me - McGee/Howard were maybe a 8/10 on D. But a 5/10 on O. Gasol/Trez can be the inverse. 8/10 on O, maybe 5-6/10 on D. Now what you wanna do is the 30-34 minutes AD is not at the C spot, you dominate more on O.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
cannga11
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject:

>>>>>Think we could use a Rim Protecting Big?
Is the sky blue?

Starting lineup of old James, old Gasol, petit Shroeder = kiss of death IMHO. Defense won us the championship last year, and at this point it's like a sieve. Gasol is simply way way way too slow.

I have no doubt whatsoever this is number one topic on Pelinka's mind.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject:

cannga11 wrote:
Is the sky blue?

Starting lineup of old James, old Gasol, petit Shroeder = kiss of death IMHO.

You missed arguably the best big and solid kcp
cannga11
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
cannga11 wrote:
Is the sky blue?

Starting lineup of old James, old Gasol, petit Shroeder = kiss of death IMHO.

You missed arguably the best big and solid kcp

Agreed. But the point is 3 "weaknesses" are too many holes to cover. And none of those 3 factors are getting better, in fact getting worse as father time and the season wear on.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject:

Maybe we reach out to Philly and see if we can work out something for Dwight Howard?
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject:

Want to laugh?

Marc Gasol 1.5 BLK per game
McGee+Dwight 1.5BLK per game
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Maybe we reach out to Philly and see if we can work out something for Dwight Howard?

Harrell for Dwight and Danny Green?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 8 of 26
Jump to: