Official ANTHONY DAVIS Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1018, 1019, 1020 ... 1423, 1424, 1425  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:39 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
AD:

Quote:
"We messed up our coverages. We didn't do what we were supposed to do, so we can't even see if our defensive schemes worked against a stretch five... We've got to be better in our schemes coming out the gate."

Quote:
"We didn't play a lick of defense. Our defense was (bleep) tonight... That's why we lost."

Quote:
” We're late on our coverages. Our communication hasn't been good."

Quote:
Anthony Davis admits that he "knocked a damn cart over" near the bench out of frustration with the team's defense and his own free-throw shooting.

MAMBA VENOMENON!!!

I expect a smack down on Wendell Carter, Markkanen, Porter Jr, and Thaddeus Young tomorrow!!
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:54 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
AD:

Quote:
"We messed up our coverages. We didn't do what we were supposed to do, so we can't even see if our defensive schemes worked against a stretch five... We've got to be better in our schemes coming out the gate."

Quote:
"We didn't play a lick of defense. Our defense was (bleep) tonight... That's why we lost."

Quote:

Quote:
Anthony Davis admits that he "knocked a damn cart over" near the bench out of frustration with the team's defense and his own free-throw shooting.

BLAH BLAH BLAH...actions speak louder than words. Why doesn’t he knock over a damn center down low for once. Plays with no emotion and doesn’t turn it on until the end. Or getting to free throw line cause he’s not banging down low. He’s a mismatch down low with virtually anyone. Time to come out with some energy. His team feeds off his energy. Without lebron this team is 2-7 right now.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:58 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Awesome. Davis is upset. Are others on the team? What do they do about it?

Luckily they have a game tomorrow to prove something. Will they?

Lebron looked really annoyed as well. And Lebron and AD are playing injured.

But the team had no time together, they haven't had time to really hammer home their defensive scheme. Vogel has a job ahead of him
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:12 am    Post subject:

One thing that is slightly bugging me, it seems Kawhi has realized his mistakes the last season (load managing too much, not putting any focus on team chemistry and leadership) and is doing what he is willing to do to improve on that front. Whereas AD seemed to be playing with less effort this season.

Just wanted to point this out, but I'm fully aware it is a weird season and the Lakers had much less rest than teams who choked away a 3-1 lead :p
ZeroDark30_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:13 am    Post subject:

His quotes sound good but like someone else said. Actions speak louder. He had one instance where he closed out on Murray at the three point line and just stared at him with no hand up. What did Murray do, shot the three and they went back up to 11. After that moment I knew this team didn’t care.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:16 am    Post subject:

Kobetan wrote:
One thing that is slightly bugging me, it seems Kawhi has realized his mistakes the last season (load managing too much, not putting any focus on team chemistry and leadership) and is doing what he is willing to do to improve on that front. Whereas AD seemed to be playing with less effort this season.

Just wanted to point this out, but I'm fully aware it is a weird season and the Lakers had much less rest than teams who choked away a 3-1 lead :p

Point blank, he's overdoing the coasting. Cut your minutes to load manage? I'm good with that. Long stretches of half assing it? Wake up AD.

Last edited by jonnybravo on Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total
ZeroDark30_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:16 am    Post subject:

Look maybe I’m spoiled because my favorite player (LeBron) at his age was trying to play like the best player every night. I know Kobe was as well at AD’s age. I don’t get the lack of hunger. He has the talent. To hell with what everyone else is doing. Dominant both ends and go for MVP. Literally no one is making a strong case yet and I feel like it’s up for grabs.
BlueNGold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:11 am    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
AD:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I mean, he can get as mad as he wants, but as a star of the team, it's on him to actually show up and do what he's being paid millions upon millions to do.

Do your job, AD, and maybe others will do theirs.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:35 am    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
AD:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Glad he's upset, but daddy Lebron gave him some bad advice when he said to pace himself. Pacing may work well with Lebron, but Davis needs to be dominant from start to finish. You can be dominant, and still take it easy out there if you're Lebron, but AD is no Lebron.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
Glad he's upset, but daddy Lebron gave him some bad advice when he said to pace himself. Pacing may work well with Lebron, but Davis needs to be dominant from start to finish. You can be dominant, and still take it easy out there if you're Lebron, but AD is no Lebron.

This is a good point. Lebron has his process and it doesn’t work for basically anyone else.

AD is not the type to look like he’s coasting and still play like his dominant self. He can do it more so on the offensive end but not defensively.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject:

Seems he's lacking conditioning. I understand with the short turnaround, it appears most of the main guys basically didn't pick up the ball or go intense offseason conditioning. Hopefully he stays healthy and works himself back into shape. Seems winded a lot.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject:

The defenders around him in the starting 5 this year are a lot like the Pelicans team around him. The Lakers whenever they go with AD at the 5, and put 3 wing defenders, Lebron .... they thrive on both ends, but far more on D.

Can not get on AD when he has shown again and again when you put him at the 5 with wing defenders he thrives. Not his fault Gasol is not Dwight Howard, and we do not have a Danny Green type of team D communicator which is leading to a LOT of breakdowns.

Sure, Lebron is coasting a bit on O, and AD is coasting on D. Can not deny that. But also, can not deny that the job of role players are to make your stars job easier. We got role players this year in Dennis, Trez, who are very good individually but not making the team better as a whole so far. More talented, yes. Better, no. I hate to come across as VLF, but honestly Ibaka and Batum are better niche role players around guys like Bron-AD. What makes our team special is that we have guys like Ibaka-Batum (niche role players) who can play around AD-Bron, and then we could have the best bench in the league. For whatever reason, we do not want to do this, and I just do not get it. We should be starting guys like Caruso, KCP, Wesley, Kieff all niche role players around AD-Bron, and having a great floor balance on both sides. Then when Bron-AD rest, we go with what would be the best bench in the league.

I just do not get why we altered from a plan that won a ring, and upgraded our bench, and even found a Danny Green replacement in Wesley so cheaply. We are shooting ourselves in the foot, sort of like the talented Clippers were last year. The main thing is though, I think Frank is ballsy enough to go with a plan in the RS and then completely alternate it in the playoffs. No way if the playoffs began today would he stick with starting a 6-1 guy, and a slow footed 5. We on a ring in the NBA with the smallest starter usually being a 6-5 wing, with an all time great athlete at the 5, or a great stretch 4. We have completely abandoned what made this team special around AD-Bron (size, athleticism, floor balance). We are relying way too much on elite shot making ....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject:

I liked Danny but I'm more than happy to have moved on for him and get Dennis for him. We have a lot of turnover, lots of tired legs and I think mentally, we are just "we're doing this again?"

I think we really miss Dwight. Just a shame it broke down like that. Ibaka was my preferred guy too but he's a Clip so oh well. I wonder if we will possibly look to make a few moves after the 25 game mark or so.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I liked Danny but I'm more than happy to have moved on for him and get Dennis for him. We have a lot of turnover, lots of tired legs and I think mentally, we are just "we're doing this again?"

I think we really miss Dwight. Just a shame it broke down like that. Ibaka was my preferred guy too but he's a Clip so oh well. I wonder if we will possibly look to make a few moves after the 25 game mark or so.

The thing is we replaced Danny with Wes. We are just shooting ourselves in the foot and trying to be too cute. We should be starting someone like Wesley, and continue to utilize that elite size and elite athleticism combo that we had last year. Now we start a 6-1 dime a dozen scoring PG. Every team virtually in the league has a Dennis level PG in scoring. He is a 35-36% shooter from 3, a 15 ppg starting level guy on a good team, and can get to the basket real well. Could we use a guy like that - sure. Every team could, But it does change how you play if you make that guy your core player and 3rd highest usage guy. around 2 stars, and it limits your size when you start a 6-1 guy instead of a 6-6 Danny Green.

What made the Lakers special was their size and athleticism (which they could continue if they choose). What should make the Lakers special this year is that they can continue to have that special size-athleticism, but with the best bench in the NBA. Literally by starting Dennis a 6-1 PG with a slow footed 5, they are changing everything on how they play.

I just want them to try for a few games some sort of rotation where they have elite size and athleticism with the starters again at 4 out of 5 starting spots, and then try to bring Dennis off the bench in shorter but more "burst" minutes. Just a few games to see how it goes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

The thing is we replaced Danny with Wes. We are just shooting ourselves in the foot and trying to be too cute. We should be starting someone like Wesley, and continue to utilize that elite size and elite athleticism combo that we had last year. Now we start a 6-1 dime a dozen scoring PG. Every team virtually in the league has a Dennis level PG in scoring. He is a 35-36% shooter from 3, a 15 ppg starting level guy on a good team, and can get to the basket real well. Could we use a guy like that - sure. Every team could, But it does change how you play if you make that guy your core player and 3rd highest usage guy. around 2 stars, and it limits your size when you start a 6-1 guy instead of a 6-6 Danny Green.

What made the Lakers special was their size and athleticism (which they could continue if they choose). What should make the Lakers special this year is that they can continue to have that special size-athleticism, but with the best bench in the NBA. Literally by starting Dennis a 6-1 PG with a slow footed 5, they are changing everything on how they play.

I just want them to try for a few games some sort of rotation where they have elite size and athleticism with the starters again at 4 out of 5 starting spots, and then try to bring Dennis off the bench in shorter but more "burst" minutes. Just a few games to see how it goes.

I think you are just wedded to last year's approach.

If you had Dennis/Marc with our returning starters giving the effort they gave on both sides of the ball in the first 25 games last year, we may be saying different things. It's just a massive mix of new players, guys who are in a championship malaise.

I would give it 20-25 games (we are going to be in the top 4 in the West by then no matter what IMO) to get a bigger sample size first.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject:

We had such aggressive guard play b/c our big men would constantly protect the rim. A more enthusiastic AD, with even Jav and of course Dwight meant our guards could put on ball pressure at the point of attack. This year? not as much. Have to adjust.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject:

Teams are seeing a more traditional typical lineup, and are exposing the lack of speed at the 5 and that Dennis is limited to mainly being a PG defender with less versatility and size to close out and defend. You can get Gasol involved in a screen/roll defensive situation with Dennis on the ball, and either Dennis is not consistently fighting through the screen and rotating (unless it's a 4th Q play) nor does Gasol have the speed to show and recover. So that's 2 changes there, that have nothing to do with AD's effort or role. Why does this change as soon as AD goes to the 5, and we bring in guys like Wesley?

I just find it ironic, the 3 peat era, or whatever repeat era, you rarely saw major changes to a way that a team was playing. You would see role players come and go and changes like that, but not a big major systematic change. The Lakers upgraded their bench (one of their weaknesses) yet instead of improving bench play, it is just as weak and have weakened the effectiveness of the starting core as well.

We have replacements for players lost - we're just not using them that way. Still lots of time. And I do think, the Lakers are well aware of what is going on. But they also know the RS is taxing, and they wanna slowly develop their playoff identity. I do not think they are married to this rotation, and will adjust as time passes. Still, weird for a team that brought in the 2 best bench players in the NBA last season, not to have the league's best bench, or have a competent 2 man game with those 2 bench players. Real weird.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject:

Can’t go 100 mph every game and Pop isn’t gonna just let you just sweep him without making some tactical adjustments.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Teams are seeing a more traditional typical lineup, and are exposing the lack of speed at the 5 and that Dennis is limited to mainly being a PG defender with less versatility and size to close out and defend. You can get Gasol involved in a screen/roll defensive situation with Dennis on the ball, and either Dennis is not consistently fighting through the screen and rotating (unless it's a 4th Q play) nor does Gasol have the speed to show and recover. So that's 2 changes there, that have nothing to do with AD's effort or role. Why does this change as soon as AD goes to the 5, and we bring in guys like Wesley?

I just find it ironic, the 3 peat era, or whatever repeat era, you rarely saw major changes to a way that a team was playing. You would see role players come and go and changes like that, but not a big major systematic change. The Lakers upgraded their bench (one of their weaknesses) yet instead of improving bench play, it is just as weak and have weakened the effectiveness of the starting core as well.

We have replacements for players lost - we're just not using them that way. Still lots of time. And I do think, the Lakers are well aware of what is going on. But they also know the RS is taxing, and they wanna slowly develop their playoff identity. I do not think they are married to this rotation, and will adjust as time passes. Still, weird for a team that brought in the 2 best bench players in the NBA last season, not to have the league's best bench, or have a competent 2 man game with those 2 bench players. Real weird.

You're not even addressing my arguments. I said we have massive turnover of key players AND malaise from our understandably tired stars. You want to revert to last year's blueprint, but we don't have the same pieces to do so. So you have to come up with a new blueprint. That's my point.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

You're not even addressing my arguments. I said we have massive turnover of key players AND malaise from our understandably tired stars. You want to revert to last year's blueprint, but we don't have the same pieces to do so. So you have to come up with a new blueprint. That's my point.

I do not agree that we have to have a new blueprint. And the way they are playing the schemes are very similar. They are just expecting Dennis to become what we had, and Marc to be what we had. That is the mistake. You could easily utilize the bench players into starter roles, since they have the experience and talent that fits. Wesley fills in Dannys role. KCP already knows his role, as does AD and Bron. Now only 1 change in Gasol, and Gasol will adjust, and if he can not, you you use Kieff or slide Caruso in and play AD at the 5 when the match ups at the 5 are perimeter oriented. The bench is far superior this year in that scenario, and you see same impact from starters, just with better bench play (and more reliance on the bench and less on AD-Bron starting lineup).
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

I do not agree that we have to have a new blueprint. And the way they are playing the schemes are very similar. They are just expecting Dennis to become what we had, and Marc to be what we had. That is the mistake. You could easily utilize the bench players into starter roles, since they have the experience and talent that fits. Wesley fills in Dannys role. KCP already knows his role, as does AD and Bron. Now only 1 change in Gasol, and Gasol will adjust, and if he can not, you you use Kieff or slide Caruso in and play AD at the 5 when the match ups at the 5 are perimeter oriented. The bench is far superior this year in that scenario, and you see same impact from starters, just with better bench play (and more reliance on the bench and less on AD-Bron starting lineup).

Now you're trying to start the "death" lineup?

I understand what you're saying, but you're not factoring in all the elements here. Lakers have already offered Dennis an extension for 2 years; he wants 4, and the Lakers appear on board with that. So, they will work more than 9 games before shuffling him to the bench. I think your argument is correct about the "death lineup" being intact if we want to use it. But that's a playoff lineup for me and last I checked, we have 63 more regular season games.

We had one bad loss yesterday. The team is just slogging through the regular season. I don't know how anyone can disagree with that. I'm advocating for some more time. From a regular season standpoint, IMO we are missing more of the vertical rim protection from JAV/Dwight most. Playoffs that was not as important but regular season wise, teams just could not deal with having no path to the rim (with a more energized LBJ/AD on defense too). I don't fault LBJ/AD for really pacing themselves, and this is why I'm not up at arms about how this is progressing right now.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
We had one bad loss yesterday

We have not played a good game in a while. Just moments. The Lakers are winning on talent, and shot making with some heavy reliance on that same death lineup - to close out tight games. They are 6-3, but have played like a 3-6 team, that won in the end against teams in the clutch through AD/Bron brilliance and some D in the 4th.

There’s lots of times but this is not just about one bad loss, I say these things even after we win
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:
We had one bad loss yesterday

We have not played a good game in a while. Just moments. The Lakers are winning on talent, and shot making with some heavy reliance on that same death lineup - to close out tight games. They are 6-3, but have played like a 3-6 team, that won in the end against teams in the clutch through AD/Bron brilliance and some D in the 4th.

There’s lots of times but this is not just about one bad loss, I say these things even after we win

We all agreed that the first 20-25 games would be at a leisurely preseason level intensity/pace. And we're 6-3. Sky is not falling my friend. They're figuring things out.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject:

That's right, AD. Let our FO know they (bleep) up. You don't mess with a championship roster. As old saying goes, don't fix it if it ain't broke. Now that they broke it, then they've gotta fix it.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
That's right, AD. Let our FO know they (bleep) up. You don't mess with a championship roster. As old saying goes, don't fix it if it ain't broke. Now that they broke it, then they've gotta fix it.

Umm, we're 6-3 playing at like 60%. We're 9 games in...sheesh.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1018, 1019, 1020 ... 1423, 1424, 1425  Next
Page 1019 of 1425
Jump to: