Official MONTREZL "6th Man of Year" HARRELL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 64, 65, 66  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueNGold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:16 am    Post subject:

I'm curious as to what made Trez such a beast across the hall last year compared to this year. He was an offensive force last year, but he has been nothing more than serviceable this year.

What changed?
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject:

BlueNGold wrote:
I'm curious as to what made Trez such a beast across the hall last year compared to this year. He was an offensive force last year, but he has been nothing more than serviceable this year.

What changed?

doc isnt a great coach. didnt run a ton of sets. he just basically said, see ball, get ball. On this team there is an expectation to be in certain positions. Sometimes he on point others hes a little lost.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:42 pm    Post subject:

Does Trezz know how to contest shots?

All he does is stand around the paint hoping to get a 50/50 charge called his way. #antijinx

Edit:

I’ll give Trezz credit in the last min of the 4th quarter tonight, he made 2 good defensive plays against Lavine. #hope
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject:

Great game by Trezz and he played good D on LaVine at the end.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:32 pm    Post subject:

17/14 1 block and good defense down the stretch.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:32 pm    Post subject:

Way to not fit in Trez!
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject:

Performances like these and it will be easy to give him a long term contract.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:40 pm    Post subject:

Great game tonight. I honestly thought they should have gotten him a post touch or two down the stretch but they seemed to forget about him.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:23 pm    Post subject:

Am I crazy to think that Montrez could be a reasonable facscimile of Randle on defense? We used to use Randle in spots to check a big wing and he excelled. I still remember him punking Harden several times on D. Trez doesn't have quite the same quick feet but he's got great lateral movement and IIRC a longer wingspan.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:33 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Am I crazy to think that Montrez could be a reasonable facscimile of Randle on defense? We used to use Randle in spots to check a big wing and he excelled. I still remember him punking Harden several times on D. Trez doesn't have quite the same quick feet but he's got great lateral movement and IIRC a longer wingspan.

Trez has Randle beat by 4".
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:40 am    Post subject:

Solid game - Vogel should really find ways to get him more looks in the offense, he is pretty much freelancing out there right now
cannga11
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject:

He has continued to be an absolute beast around the basket - 14 rebounds 17 points last night. Once they run more plays for him - watch out!! I would REALLY like to see more PnR with Shroeder.

Last year he was the player I "feared" most from the Clippers (besides these other 2 of course). I had this feeling he was going to do something in Conference Finals that hurts us dearly. And he's proving my fear well justified .

The eye test tells me he's easily going to be Lakers 3 or 4th most important player by year end.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

You know I do not understand if it is IQ with him (as in not knowing where to be) or a skill thing, because his individual isolation D on smaller perimeter players is quite good. But if we play him at 4, the issue I think arises is spacing. Sort of like it would with Randle. Teams will play off him, anytime he is outside the paint. If you play Trez, you have to always run S&R plays with him, or go to him in the paint. It should be short bursts of heavy involvement from him for 4-6 min stretches, IMO. Yesterday, I thought we did a better job of using him in S&Rs. Because once you involve him in a S&R, suddenly the opposing team has to make a decision on whether to leave a guy great at moving to the basket (and finishing) off the ball or to defend the guard handling the ball.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject:

17 points and 14 great numbers off the bench! But.... he also was a team worse +/- so whenever he was on the floor Lakers would go down -11.

So what does that say?
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
17 points and 14 great numbers off the bench! But.... he also was a team worse +/- so whenever he was on the floor Lakers would go down -11.

So what does that say?

IMHO, says that +/- is useless, especially in ONE game. Kuzma was "better," at -6. Matthews, whose 4 three's turn the game around, had same value as Kuzma, at -6. Etc.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject:

cannga11 wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

So what does that say?

IMHO, says that +/- is useless, especially in ONE game. Kuzma was "better," at -6. Matthews, whose 4 three's turn the game around, had same value as Kuzma, at -6. Etc.

+/- is never useless. It literally is telling you something, screaming for help. If it was useless, Caruso would still be playing in the G League.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Looking pretty likely that Trezz is a one year signing. Unless his value tanks that he picks up his MLE level option, and tries to get Early Bird rights for the 2022 offseason.

Trezz was most likely a favor to clutch because he tanked his value in the playoffs. Looking like a square peg in a round hole.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject:

Pau Gasol's Beard wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Looking pretty likely that Trezz is a one year signing. Unless his value tanks that he picks up his MLE level option, and tries to get Early Bird rights for the 2022 offseason.

Trezz was most likely a favor to clutch because he tanked his value in the playoffs. Looking like a square peg in a round hole.

To get the best out of Trezz he needs to have a partner guard that puts him in his best spots to succeed on offense - like Lou Williams did in the P&R for the Clippers last year.
Beyond that it's a matter of expectation - mine are that he would soak up a lot of minutes in the *regular season, be a net positive player in lineups without AD/Lebron/Gasol, help win more games than lose, and thus help the starters be healthy/fresh for the playoffs. If he fulfills that mission he'd meet my expectations and we will be in great shape for the playoff run.
Clark Kent
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
cannga11 wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

So what does that say?

+/- is never useless. It literally is telling you something, screaming for help. If it was useless, Caruso would still be playing in the G League.

The +\- says that even though Montrezl scored 17 points, he help give up 28 points to the other team. In other words a liability on defense.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject:

Clark Kent wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
cannga11 wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

So what does that say?

The +\- says that even though Montrezl scored 17 points, he help give up 28 points to the other team. In other words a liability on defense.

According to Basketball Reference, Trezz's offensive rating for the season is 126 and his defensive rating is 107, for a difference of +19 points per 100 possessions. In contrast, LeBron's difference is +8 (114/106) and AD is +12 (114/102).

To be honest, I’m not exactly sure how BR calculates this, and how it compares to +/-. Does anybody know where to find +/- for the season? ESPN apparently has something they call real plus minus, but I don’t think any stats on that are yet available for this season.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject:

cannga11 wrote:
He has continued to be an absolute beast around the basket - 14 rebounds 17 points last night. Once they run more plays for him - watch out!! I would REALLY like to see more PnR with Shroeder.

Last year he was the player I "feared" most from the Clippers (besides these other 2 of course). I had this feeling he was going to do something in Conference Finals that hurts us dearly. And he's proving my fear well justified .

The eye test tells me he's easily going to be Lakers 3 or 4th most important player by year end.

Much like Caruso, you never have to worry about energy with Trez. He brings that every night and that is a big thing.

Great pickup by the Lakers and only going to get better as the team gets used to playing together.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject:

Faceup game is elite. They should iso him more
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject:

Clark Kent wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
cannga11 wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

So what does that say?

Bingo!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject:

I'd rather have Dwight/JaVale. This signing is gonna come back to haunt us.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Pau Gasol's Beard wrote:
I'd rather have Dwight/JaVale. This signing is gonna come back to haunt us.

Well. If Trezz isn’t playable in the playoffs (I think he is), then neither were Dwight/JAv. We still can sign or trade for some real bigs before the deadline it buyouts.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Page 34 of 66
Jump to: