Why has Showtime turned into Slowtime?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Why has Showtime turned into Slowtime?

Last season, one of the biggest reasons we won the world championship was that we were arguably the best fast break team in the NBA.

But other than the first few games this season, it seems like the emergency brake is on when it comes to our transition game. Lebron isn't really pushing the ball upcourt, our secondary ball-handler isn't leaking out ahead of LeBron, LeBron isn't making those baseball passes downcourt, and our wingmen aen't sprinting downcourt.

Along with our crappy D, this is why we're just barely pulling out wins against crappy teams.

I know Gasol is old and unathletic, but we don't need to have an athletic C to have a great fast break.

Is this because of complacency? Are we missing KCP more than we think? or is it something else?
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject:

1. Pacing themselves (sleepwalking)
2. More confident about their half court offense. Last season, they relied heavily on the fast break offense due to roster personnel limitations.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
2. More confident about their half court offense. Last season, they relied heavily on the fast break offense due to roster personnel limitations.

That's not a good reason not to run. We're still better in transition than in the half court. Why should we get away from what won us the championship last year?
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

That's not a good reason not to run. We're still better in transition than in the half court. Why should we get away from what won us the championship last year?

I look at it from a different perspective. They know they can run, but they need to build chemistry with this new roster.

Also, no need to waste that type of energy right now especially with 36 year old Lebron. Everyone knows if we need it we have plenty of showtime fastbreak capability with Lebron and Schroder.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject:

On twitter I think I saw some people in the Laker organization estimate 6-8 weeks will be needed for the Lakers to get where they need to be. But that process might be accelerated with AD's attitude that they need to get better quicker.

But I think fans just need a bit of patience right now. We knew the beginning of the season was going to be ugly
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
slavavov wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

I look at it from a different perspective. They know they can run, but they need to build chemistry with this new roster.

Also, no need to waste that type of energy right now especially with 36 year old Lebron. Everyone knows if we need it we have plenty of showtime fastbreak capability with Lebron and Schroder.

You think they'll start seriously pushing the pace several weeks from now?

I get that they need to pace themselves right now, but there's a big difference between pacing yourself and half-assing things. I'm afraid that they're building bad habits on both ends of the floor and developing the dreaded lightswitch mentality.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
slavavov wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

I get that they need to pace themselves right now, but there's a big difference between pacing yourself and half-assing things. I'm afraid that they're building bad habits on both ends of the floor and developing the dreaded lightswitch mentality.

A big component of pushing the pace was Rondo. Sometimes Lebron would slow things up but someone would interview Rondo and he would say he just wanted to come in and push the pace. Push the pace. Always push the pace.

We'll see what happens as we go through the year
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
slavavov wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
slavavov wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

A big component of pushing the pace was Rondo. Sometimes Lebron would slow things up but someone would interview Rondo and he would say he just wanted to come in and push the pace. Push the pace. Always push the pace.

We'll see what happens as we go through the year

Schroder can do the same thing, and I'd actually say he should be better at it than Rondo, since Rondo's old and only plays well once every few regular season games.

I thought Schroder would allow LeBron to pace himself during the season without sacrificing pace. Schroder needs to be more aggressive. Sometimes he plays as if he's been castrated.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject:

Team speed at the 5 is not the same. Gasol can not change ends as quick as McGee or Howard did. Trez is capable, but is not post sprinting.

AD is coasting, again, not post sprinting.

Ball is in the hand of Dennis, who is not a court visionary, who can see fastbreaks develop easily. Last year, every possession we went to Bron. This year, we go a lot to Bron, but Dennis is doing a lot of ballhandling as well.

KCP is injured as was Caruso (out for COVID related reasons) and those 2 guys are excellent at getting up the court fast.

Finally, stops. A lot of the fastbreaks were created by great defensive pressure, that leads to easy offense. The Lakers lack that defensive pressure this year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject:

Saving wear and tear.

Using odd lineup combinations to help blend what works and what doesn't in the halfcourt.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject:

Our pace is MUCH better today. We look like the Lakers of old again.

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Team speed at the 5 is not the same. Gasol can not change ends as quick as McGee or Howard did. Trez is capable, but is not post sprinting.

Not sure if we really need elite speed at the 5 to uptempo the game. I thought ideally you want your 5 to stay back in your transition game for defensive balance.
Quote:

Ball is in the hand of Dennis, who is not a court visionary, who can see fastbreaks develop easily. Last year, every possession we went to Bron. This year, we go a lot to Bron, but Dennis is doing a lot of ballhandling as well.

Dennis may not be a great passer or have great court vision, but he seems to be pretty good in both areas. I've seen him make plenty of pretty good, smart and basic passes this season, both in transition and in the halfcourt.

As I said before, he just needs to be more aggressive without getting in LeBron's way.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject:

KCP came back and our fast break came back with him.

KCP so vital for our fast break. We need a couple of other players to run like that
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Cause we clearly in saving it mode still and our half court offense is great. We good y’all
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Cause we clearly in saving it mode still and our half court offense is great. We good y’all

Yup, we were the most versatile team by a good margin last season and just got way more so this season. When they want to put the clamps on defensively you're going to see what you seen against the Rockets pretty consistently imo. No defense has a chance in hell against AD and Lebron coming at you in transition without a set defense. Now you add all the other new weapons, good luck rest of the league especially as they continue to gel as an overall unit on both ends!

I actually prefer to have Gasol to McGee and many other realistic "athletic bigs" in transition especially if we aren't playing AD at the 5 since sure Gasol is obviously slower but you have him trailing who can easily make an elite pass from full court in and then when he catches up you have to look out for him as a defense because he's a damn good 3 point shooter as well.

You can point out some tiny holes or "what if's" about our depth if injuries, huge foul trouble, covid etc. happen but every team in the league is playing catchup to us and most of them are doing by quite a large distance away.
Lakeshow323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

It is when you are playing a compressed and rushed season. This team is sleepwalking until March sadly.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Looked pretty good last night with KCP back and Caruso/THT getting more minutes.

They clearly have that gear...just no need to use it right now. However they should build up towards it with all the new pieces. On/off switch won’t work imo.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject:

We have adopted the clipper mantra of load managing and "the switch"

Also defense helps to get teams out running. Defense has not been like last season.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: