THT vs Lamelo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject:

^You're not drafting LaMelo for rebounding, so why are we focusing on a minicule aspect of their actual talent vs what they do best?

There's no such thing as 100% player comparison here. But in terms of style, vision, shot selection, ball-handling, it's more or less the same dude.

I didn't say it was his ceiling. Who did?

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
cannga11
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject:

Fun and interesting discussion. Love THT - unusually the game has already slowed down for him (looking at you Kuz).

If the criteria is "who is going to be all star" however, I am leaning towards Lamelo. Not a great scorer, but 6'8", passing, instinct, feel for the game. Dare I say he reminds me of the Magic Man. I think he's got "IT," much more than his brother BTW.
phantasyman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject:

LaMelo will have better career than THT
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Been watching some Knick games, imagine THT with RJ Barret's green light.

16.2 shot attempts despite shooting under 35%. Heck imagine him with LG's fav Kelly Oubre opportunity
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Been watching some Knick games, imagine THT with RJ Barret's green light.

16.2 shot attempts despite shooting under 35%. Heck imagine him with LG's fav Kelly Oubre opportunity

Maybe he'll get more minutes if he wasn't such a liability for his team defensively down the stretch. He's not Luka, he's not Curry, he doesn't impact the offense enough to make up for his atrocious defense.

EDIT: Oh wait I thought you were talking about Lamelo ... actually never mind. Lamelo and THT are both pretty bad on defense atm
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject:

ducasse wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Lamelo ceiling is white chocolate

Tht ceiling is Mitch richmond

LaMelo's ceiling is higher than Jason Williams. White chocolate was only 6'1". Lamelo is 6'8".

A 6'8 White Chocolate with a 3 point shot
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
^You're not drafting LaMelo for rebounding, so why are we focusing on a minicule aspect of their actual talent vs what they do best?

There's no such thing as 100% player comparison here. But in terms of style, vision, shot selection, ball-handling, it's more or less the same dude.

Halflife wrote:

Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Halflife wrote:

I did post this with tongue firmly planted in cheek.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Halflife wrote:

I did post this with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

That makes more sense then haha It was literally in the reply chain he replied in so not sure how it wasn't seen but it's all good.

I love JW, dude was pure entertainment and a wizard at dribbling but comparison wise I didn't see it at all personally outside of a few similarities so when I was called out on it I was kind of shocked tbh.

It's like MJST said, a 6'8 White Chocolate with a 3 point shot and is a great rebounder (I get rebounding isn't his best attribute but when your floor general is great at it and can start breaks himself it's most def. a notable positive and not just "miniscule" imo at least). That kind of shows it's not much of a comparison with that statement alone. Especially since he's 4 years younger as a rookie and still extremely raw while already looking like the clear better player. I will say though that I am def. interested to see his growth and what he becomes in a few years.
buduan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject:

I've been watching Melo since he was a freshman in HS, really only seen THT this season. Melo has some serious deficiencies so his learning curve is going to be much steeper than THT's. Ball is a horrible defender because he was never required to play much defense in his young life. He is a bad streaky shooter. He can get hot but for the most part he can't shoot a lick. As more information and video is circulated around the league life is going to get tougher not easier for him.

That being said his ceiling is much higher than THT's. But will he ever reach it? His alleged work ethic makes me tend to think he will at the very least come close to it.

But right now I like THT's game better than his. Much more polished and effective and his crazy wingspan on defense is a huge plus.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject:

LaMelo has a feel for the game that THT can't learn through reps. Even with all of his deficiencies, leans towards a positive impact on the court. But, initiators tend to dictate that much on the offensive end.

THT isn't that level of a creator.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject:

I managed to watch a few minutes of the Hornets-Pelicans game. This was the first time I've been able to watch Lamelo outside of highlights. He was one of the better players on the court, even though he is still raw. His game needs polishing, but he has "future all-NBA" written all over him. I was skeptical about him, especially after the experience with Lonzo. I'm a believer now.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I managed to watch a few minutes of the Hornets-Pelicans game. This was the first time I've been able to watch Lamelo outside of highlights. He was one of the better players on the court, even though he is still raw. His game needs polishing, but he has "future all-NBA" written all over him. I was skeptical about him, especially after the experience with Lonzo. I'm a believer now.

I've been watching him as well and I agree. He was 1 assist from a triple double tonight in 26 minutes.
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

LaMelo Ball becomes the youngest player in NBA history to record a triple-double today 22-12-11. Still think he's White Chocolate? Looks to me like he's going to destroy White Chocolate's legacy.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject:

ducasse wrote:
Halflife wrote:

LaMelo Ball becomes the youngest player in NBA history to record a triple-double today 22-12-11. Still think he's White Chocolate? Looks to me like he's going to destroy White Chocolate's legacy.

Wow. Keep it up!
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:57 pm    Post subject:

Tht = grand mama
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:22 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ducasse wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Wow. Keep it up!

At the risk of being blasphemous, the kid has Magic-level potential. This doesn't mean that he will ever reach that level. It would require a lot of hard work, dedication, and luck when it comes to health. A lot of kids with potential fall by the wayside. But Lamelo actually has that sort of potential. I never would have said that about Lonzo.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:26 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ducasse wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Wow. Keep it up!

At the risk of being blasphemous, the kid has Magic-level potential. This doesn't mean that he will ever reach that level. It would require a lot of hard work, dedication, and luck when it comes to health. A lot of kids with potential fall by the wayside. But Lamelo actually has that sort of potential. I never would have said that about Lonzo.

I didn't realize he's 6'8"!
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
hype wrote:
Halflife wrote:
ducasse wrote:
Halflife wrote:

LaMelo's ceiling is higher than Jason Williams. White chocolate was only 6'1". Lamelo is 6'8".

Their games are identical

When one guy is 7 inches taller that pretty much kills any way for them to be identical imo. Lamelo is a great rebounder for a pg which adds an entire other element to his game JW couldn't dream of having. His offensive potential completely blows away JW as well who was a pretty mediocre at best scoring guard. No doubt JW was a wizard with some of his dribbling skills but i'm not seeing this identical comparison at all.

LaMelo is def. still a big question mark but his ceiling is much, much higher then JW.

Disagree. Size doesn't always dictate talent/style of play.

LaMelo is 100% Jason Williams right down to the bad/inconsistent footwork on his jumper, lofting for 3s, being a relatively soft finisher near the rim and opting for a floater game.

Equally bad defenders too.

Equally amazing feel for the game.

IDK...when I watch LaMelo I can't help but think he reminds me of Horace Grant. Maybe a little Oliver Miller too. I mean their body types are virtually identical.

#BannersOverBillboards
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:59 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ducasse wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Wow. Keep it up!

The trip dub sure had no influence on this comparison I'm sure.

Magic couldn't shoot until year 6 or 7?

Kid had a good game and has a good feel for a flowing type of game...perfect for the RS.

When he drops 42, 15, 7 on the road, playing center, in the deciding game for a ring his rookie year then he can be compared to Magic.

#BannersOverBillboards
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:43 am    Post subject:

He might already be better than Lonzo offensively. Looks like he will be a much better player to me.
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:16 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
He might already be better than Lonzo offensively. Looks like he will be a much better player to me.

For whatever it's worth, he definitely seems much more fluid when he plays. Haven't been following him but I too was surprised that he's 6'8.

Charismatic young player with a good feel for the game, has pro ball experience before being drafted. Future's looking bright.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:46 am    Post subject:

Lamelo always looked more skilled than ZO around the rim and has that soft touch. Biggest difference between them is the confidence though. ZO plays scared if couple of shots don't fall while Lamelo has immense self belief. And being a more skilled scorer helps him as a passer in half court too as all the options are available.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject:

Yeah, Melo seems to have a little bit of his dad's bravado, unlike Zo who is pretty timid in comparison.
cannga11
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Yeah, Melo seems to have a little bit of his dad's bravado, unlike Zo who is pretty timid in comparison.

I always remember Lonzo's first game against Clippers when Pat Bev flat out pushed him to the ground and Lonzo just stood up from the crawling position, hung his head, and continued to play. No word, no reaction.

One of the few times I think someone deserves an elbow to the mouth. Lonzo had zero response.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: