Better Duo: Kobe/Shaq or Kobe/LBJ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which would have been the better duo?
Kobe/Shaq
58%
 58%  [ 18 ]
Kobe/LBJ
41%
 41%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 31

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Better Duo: Kobe/Shaq or Kobe/LBJ?

Kobe/Shaq obviously won us 3 awesome titles.

But if Kobe/LBJ could have teamed up together, how many could they have won together?

Of course there are many variables such as what the supporting cast would be, etc., but if we approximate the same types of role players around them, and also factor in team chemistry, etc., which would you go with as being the better duo that could win more rings overall?

I go with Kobe/LBJ. Could have been the best duo ever.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject:

Kobe and LeBron for sure you are talking about 2 players who have high IQ and are 2 of the best competitors in sports history, there will always be what ifs but what if LeBron didn’t go to Miami and he joins the Lakers in 2010?
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject:

One season where everyone is at there peak? Kobe/Shaq easily imo

but...

Overall careers or if they are teaming up around there primes and going from there it's easily Kobe/LBJ as both are among the greatest athletes of all time at keeping there bodies right year around. Plus there's much more versatility to easily reload and add any player at pretty much any position kind of what makes LBJ/AD so special as well imo. This is my answer even in a world where Kobe and Shaq never got in a huge pissing contest.
crazylakerfan001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Kobe and Shaq easily.

They complemented each other so well. Only if they could put their ego's aside, we would have also won in 2005, 2006, and maybe 2007

Kobe and Lebron both needed the ball, but I can still see them winning a few championships together
D-Shiznit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject:

Shaq/Kobe is the best duo in NBA history in my opinion.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject:

I think Kobe would have respected LBJ’s work ethic more and there would be less chemistry issues. Just don’t see how Kobe and Shaq could ever do exist beyond those years they had.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject:

Kobe and LBJ. If Shaq 2000 was same in other years, I would say otherwise. That year he had one of the best seasons ever.

LBJ with Kobe would have been much better over the years. Not just better. Better than MJ Pippen too, even with Scottie being the best defender of the group by a decent amount. Better than Magic and Kareem since Kareem was older by that point. Probably the best duo in history in terms of results.

There's just too much LBJ and Kobe could do in tandem with mix and match teammates. Too much offense, too much defense, too much skill, too much dedication, too much will, too much wisdom, too much high consistent standards, too much leadership with Kobe being the stick, Lebron the carrot (or good cop, bad Kob) at the highest level probably.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
Kobe and LBJ. If Shaq 2000 was same in other years, I would say otherwise. That year he had one of the best seasons ever.

LBJ with Kobe would have been much better over the years. Not just better. Better than MJ Pippen too, even with Scottie being the best defender of the group by a decent amount. Better than Magic and Kareem since Kareem was older by that point. Probably the best duo in history in terms of results.

There's just too much LBJ and Kobe could do in tandem with mix and match teammates. Too much offense, too much defense, too much skill, too much dedication, too much will, too much wisdom, too much high consistent standards, too much leadership with Kobe being the stick, Lebron the carrot (or good cop, bad Kob) at the highest level probably.

Yeah I see literally no weakness with that duo. Don’t get me wrong leak shaq was one of the most dominating things I’ve ever seen. But longevity wise I go Kobe/LBJ and I think they top 3 rings together.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
focus wrote:

Yeah I see literally no weakness with that duo. Don’t get me wrong leak shaq was one of the most dominating things I’ve ever seen. But longevity wise I go Kobe/LBJ and I think they top 3 rings together.

I say they top 6 rings together
Although Shaq and Kobe should have topped 5 rings together too...if Shaq was less fun and more boring. I wonder if Kobe and Tim would have won four or more.
I digress. Kobe + LBJ = dynamite. I forgot to add, or separate out from "too much dedication," "too much discipline and innovation in taking care of their bodies during the season and offseason.
And then one more factor, Kobe's impact on a young LBJ's mentality. Deadly. King indeed then.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject:

I think LBJ benefits tremendously from Kobe pushing him too.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject:

Only one ball, so Kobe and Shaq.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

ssiknick833
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

What does that even mean?... Lebron probably prolong Kobe's career. Lebron will do most of the work load like always. Kobe can focus on scoring, which is what he was great at.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject:

My answer to this is, it depends what era. Pre 2005, Kobe and Shaq. Post 2005, Kobe/LeBron.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:08 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

What does that even mean?... Lebron probably prolong Kobe's career. Lebron will do most of the work load like always. Kobe can focus on scoring, which is what he was great at.

I was old enough to remember Chris Paul as a Laker for 10 minutes.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:10 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

I was old enough to remember Chris Paul as a Laker for 10 minutes.
10 glorious minutes.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Better Duo: Kobe/Shaq or Kobe/LBJ?

yinoma2001 wrote:
Kobe/Shaq obviously won us 3 awesome titles.

But if Kobe/LBJ could have teamed up together, how many could they have won together?

Of course there are many variables such as what the supporting cast would be, etc., but if we approximate the same types of role players around them, and also factor in team chemistry, etc., which would you go with as being the better duo that could win more rings overall?

I go with Kobe/LBJ. Could have been the best duo ever.

Would they be around the same age? If yes, Kobe and LBJ would rival MJ/Pippen accomplishments. Kobe is slightly lesser than MJ, but LBJ is waaaay more than Pippen. It would be the greatest duo ever.
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:53 am    Post subject:

IF we're talking about the current era where every contact ends up a whistle, and every big man shoots 3s, then definitely Kobe/Lebron.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

You think Kobe would have done that? Naw. When you put two ball-dominant players on a team, it usually doesn't end well.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

They pretty much had the exact same USG in their prime, Shaq and LeBron.

LeBron and Kobe. You may not get a 16-1 playoff run, but you definitely get more years in the playoffs/Finals runs.

Quote:
You think Kobe would have done that? Naw. When you put two ball-dominant players on a team, it usually doesn't end well.

Even Kobe and Dwyane Wade had similar USG until Kobe had to go supernova 2010/2011.

Kobe, Wade, and LeBron all had USG around 30%+ when they were championship players.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject:

It's fun occasionally to imagine.

But I reckon that the basis for debate among all of the possible imaginary pairings - and to an remarkably uncomfortable extent - depends heavily on which version of each guy and which era of rule enforcement we agree to consider coupled to each pair of duos. It's all hooey anyway, but trying to eliminate much of the hooey helps define to discussion.

I lean towards liking the 2001 Shaq-Kobe pairing above all others, largely because it is something we actually saw and so can understand the absolute strengths. A pretty stout and proven offense, with inside-outside, low post and driving potential. Pretty capable defensively with properly chosen complementary supporting players. Shaq had become as impossible to officiate as anyone ever was IMO, and that condition was to trigger much of what followed in terms of the new rights granted to ball-handlers in space, in years following. The league moved away from allowing Shaq-like domination inside ever again. Meaningful impact, which make comparison to any next generation (LeBron era) team pretty hard to assess.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

They pretty much had the exact same USG in their prime, Shaq and LeBron.

LeBron and Kobe. You may not get a 16-1 playoff run, but you definitely get more years in the playoffs/Finals runs.

Quote:

Even Kobe and Dwyane Wade had similar USG until Kobe had to go supernova 2010/2011.

Kobe, Wade, and LeBron all had USG around 30%+ when they were championship players.

Yup. To me, LBJ is an overall better player than Shaq. Shaq's peaks were amazing. But it was not sustained as long due to his poor work ethic and poor conditioning.

I think with LBJ/Kobe, they would work out, even with having to figure out sharing the ball. Easier to fill a team around those two pieces. Literally no weaknesses with that pairing to me.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I think with LBJ/Kobe, they would work out, even with having to figure out sharing the ball. Easier to fill a team around those two pieces. Literally no weaknesses with that pairing to me.

Only one has to be willing to share the ball, and that's been LeBron his entire life. I mean, it just seems obvious to me considering how well LeBron/Wade played during those Miami years, except this time it's Kobe. It's not like we didn't get a sample of what that could actually look like, and Wade and LeBron were both equally as dominant during those years, if not, LBJ moreso, especially sharing the ball.

I mean, I look at that elite wing pairing, think about Kawhi/PG, and chuckle at the comparison.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject:

peak Shaq's 3-peak run was the most dominant playoff run I've ever seen, especially the repeat year, haven't seen anything like it since
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: