DENNIS SCHRÖDER - Toronto (2yr, $26M)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 282, 283, 284  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Wolf.. you have been complaining about his TOs.. he had 0 against the Rockets I think the more the season goes along the more his turnovers will be less of a issue.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Really nice defensive effort so far this season. I'd like to see him pull the trigger more quickly on those C&S 3s where his shot window is smaller.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Really nice defensive effort so far this season. I'd like to see him pull the trigger more quickly on those C&S 3s where his shot window is smaller.

I think he's trying too hard to be a passer/playmaker and thus overthinking on the C&S - he's really a 2 that can pass and should let them fly like KCP.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Dave Uram
@MrUram
Danny Green is 0 for 9 overall and 0 for 7 from 3-point distance #Sixers

https://mobile.twitter.com/MrUram/status/1348813353691586567

So do any of you still miss Danny Green?

(bleep) garbage. Can’t believe we stole Dennis Schroder for him.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ZeroDark30_ wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
I'm having much more confidence in THT as being our longterm solution to be the ballhandler from the bench. Then DS would be irrelevant. We could just get any decent shooter to fill his role. If you asked me today, then I would not give him that 4-year/$83M. That money could be much better spent elsewhere like for an allstar big or something.

Exactly. So far I hope we don’t commit that money to him. He hasn’t showed he deserves that payday on this team. Maybe somewhere else. We could pave the way for THT to become our lead guard instead.

THT is going to need more time to develop. I'm a huge THT fan but I like how they're slowly bringing him up. Dennis will likely be extended. Now, whether that means he retires a Laker is a different question. But the Lakers won't let an asset like him just walk for nothing (and we would only have the MLE to replace him, possibly Trezz, even AC/THT are up for extensions too).

Highly doubt the Lakers would give him that 4 yr/$83M extension but we'll see. I'd rather just get a good defensive guard that could shoot for almost half the price like KCP.

Just to put things in perspective.

1. With an $83 million extension, DS's starting salary would be $18 million. KP's starting salary is $12 million.

2. If we don't resign DS, we will still be over cap. So the most we'll be able to offer anyone is the MLE, which will be $9.7 million. The guards who will be available for that amount are probably not as good as you imagine. Last year, in a very tight salary cap year, the guards available for that amount were De'Anthony Melton, DJ Augustin, and Rondo.

3. Before the start of the season, the Lakers offered DS a two-year extension starting at about $16 million, which isn't all that far off his starting salary for an $83 million extension. That's the maximum the Lakers could offer at the time and DS turned it down.

I guess we could trade him for a big. Our issue is the lack of rim protection that just cripples our defense. Danny Green or Dennis Schroder would have made little difference at that position so any replacement for him would be fine.

Inspector Gadget wrote:
I could see a scenario particularly during the 2nd half of the season were the Lakers brass asks Schroeder to come off the bench to run the 2nd unit especially if the starting line up isn’t clicking in the next few weeks.

He turned down our 2-year offer so he's definitely looking to get paid. There's no way he would agree to coming off the bench. It's his contract year so he's trying to impress and wants the minutes. Rob got us into this mess so he's gotta get us out of it.

Yep. He's looking to get paid, and he will, probably come February. My limited view tells me that the Lakers & DS are going to arrive at a satisfactory number fairly quickly. He's been a somewhat clunky fit in my view, but that can be attributed to the early season problems every team has.

I think the players, coaching staff and front office have supreme confidence that he'll be a dynamic addition as he learns his new teammates, gains the security of a new contract, and just relaxes and plays his game.

He's going to be a great addition mainly because Vogel & staff will find out what his best role is, who he works best with, in due time.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:

<snip>
Yep. He's looking to get paid, and he will, probably come February. My limited view tells me that the Lakers & DS are going to arrive at a satisfactory number fairly quickly. He's been a somewhat clunky fit in my view, but that can be attributed to the early season problems every team has.

I think the players, coaching staff and front office have supreme confidence that he'll be a dynamic addition as he learns his new teammates, gains the security of a new contract, and just relaxes and plays his game.

He's going to be a great addition mainly because Vogel & staff will find out what his best role is, who he works best with, in due time.

I was delighted when he was signed - but I've cooled off a bit. To my eye he's getting his own but isn't really making the team better; there isn't much chemistry with either AD or Trezz, especially the latter. That is a large part of his job - get the big guys involved, put them in their best spots and pulverize the oppositions' second units. It's tough stuff to learn for sure, takes a while to figure out teammates' tendencies and strengths on the court, so let's see if he can get there in another 1-2 months.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Quote:
Dave Uram
@MrUram
Danny Green is 0 for 9 overall and 0 for 7 from 3-point distance #Sixers

https://mobile.twitter.com/MrUram/status/1348813353691586567

So do any of you still miss Danny Green?

(bleep) garbage. Can’t believe we stole Dennis Schroder for him.

Quote:
Dave DuFour
@DaveDuFourNBA
Damn it Ben.

DG just shot 47% from 3 over the last five games.

It’s a marathon not a sprint.

https://twitter.com/DaveDuFourNBA/status/1348825513515692032
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:

<snip>

I was delighted when he was signed - but I've cooled off a bit. To my eye he's getting his own but isn't really making the team better; there isn't much chemistry with either AD or Trezz, especially the latter. That is a large part of his job - get the big guys involved, put them in their best spots and pulverize the oppositions' second units. It's tough stuff to learn for sure, takes a while to figure out teammates' tendencies and strengths on the court, so let's see if he can get there in another 1-2 months.

Not making the team better? ... say what? his defense in some games is the reason why we have been able to get some wins while the team is still adjusting, his offense is a work in progress early but his speed and defense have been a major Impact.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Wolf.. you have been complaining about his TOs.. he had 0 against the Rockets I think the more the season goes along the more his turnovers will be less of a issue.

It was his best IQ game. Better decision window. +17. Still has some forced shots at the hoop, but none of that junior high fundamentals at PG issues.

Big difference.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I was delighted when he was signed - but I've cooled off a bit. To my eye he's getting his own but isn't really making the team better; there isn't much chemistry with either AD or Trezz, especially the latter.

Agree a ton.

Those lineups become + lineups when Caruso and THT are on the floor, but I agree, Dennis doesn't exactly set them up and give them advantage positions to score.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:

<snip>

Not making the team better? ... say what? his defense in some games is the reason why we have been able to get some wins while the team is still adjusting, his offense is a work in progress early but his speed and defense have been a major Impact.

You're right - I misspoke, but only partially. Not making the team better ON OFFENSE- kinda the primary responsibility of a 1/PG no?
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:

Agreed, problem is he has a slow release. Almost like a set shot.

Makes him need alot of time to wind up and get it off.

Fortunately for him teams cheat so hard to help on AD and Lebron he will get plenty of space.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:

<snip>

It's going to take awhile to reach that level if that's a large part of his job. He would be performing in that manner already if he was a pass first guard, but he's not. Better passing habits than those lazy ones is where he needs to start.

Then we'll work on court awareness and getting others involved better. Until then we'll have a speedy, defensive-minded pest, with a decent outside shot that will improve.

What more can we ask for in his first few games, playing along side a completely new group of guys?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:

<snip>

You're right - I misspoke, but only partially. Not making the team better ON OFFENSE- kinda the primary responsibility of a 1/PG no?

LBJ is the point though...
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:

<snip>

He's never going to be a great passing point guard imo. He'll be much better once he gets more reps and feels comfortable in the offense and around all the new guys but anyone expecting him to be an elite passing guard that makes everyone around him better are going to be disappointed. He's more so great as that secondary guard who can still bring the ball up and make some nice passes here and there and also do some post entries which we severely lacked last season (even though he hasn't done this a ton in the season so far the ability is there). With Caruso and THT looking at least solid this season in the PG role it makes it much easier to let him focus more on scoring and the occasional pass which I think will suit him best versus trying to run an entire offense.

He can still be very solid though and give Lebron a rest here and there with the ball handling duties while being a massive scoring threat at all times which is more his strength. He just needs to play more like this last Houston game and not make the really stupid juvenile mistakes like Mike said a few posts back. He provides great full court defense and is an absolute blur to the basket which is why I can forgive a turnover or two a game keeping the defense honest and worried about him.

I would love to see him run more p&r's and get some chemistry with a few guys that way since I think that could be a huge weapon going forward. In the Houston game once he made a few nice drive and kicks since he was so fast I remember one play when the defender froze and anticipated the pass but instead he just put into 5th gear and had an easy uncontested layup. These are the kind of things that can routinely happen if he doesn't play OC and more within himself since there are so many weapons on the floor with him pretty much at all times.

A lot of articles and fan opinions I read before the season talked about how he started really putting it all together just last season due to Chris Paul kind of taking him under his wing which I believe Lebron and Kidd especially are probably continuing to do now.

Give him time, he'll be a fan favorite by the end of the season.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

<snip>

LBJ is the point though...

How about when LBJ sits? (Which is kind of the point so as to rest LBJ during the season so he's fresh and active during the post-season?)
What about lineups with Trezz (or AD) without LBJ? Which is the point for non-LBJ lineups holding/extending leads so LBD/AD can rest?

Just so I'm not misinterpreted, he (DS) is not doing badly, it's just that he's not maximizing the talent around him .. yet.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Hello
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject:

Watching Robert Horry talking about DS’s defense got me wet
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject:

DS is a really good defender. Harden and wall both have issues when he was guarding them. He is very quick and you don’t see him gets beat off the dribble much
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Meh bring back Danny Green, 9 three's tonight!
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject:

Schröder post game, says he’s having so much fun with the Lakers. He “loves coming to work” and thankful for being part of the Lakers’ organization.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
Schröder post game, says he’s having so much fun with the Lakers. He “loves coming to work” and thankful for being part of the Lakers’ organization.

It’s fun when the organization is first class. Thank you Jeanie for bringing us back.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:37 pm    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
Meh bring back Danny Green, 9 three's tonight!

Damn, he shot 21 threes and played 50 minutes.

So awesome to have someone that's consistent. It's a beautiful thing not even being concerned when Lebron or AD sit (for the most part) now.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:05 am    Post subject:

He has found a role, and the balance of when (and which spot) to shoot, pass etc. It is so good to see. Defensively, the ball pressure skills were always there. Now the offense is starting to kick in. Props to Dennis and the coaching staff. Stud 2-way starting level guard play right now.

Also great to have THT-Caruso, because when or if there is regression in those decision making or what have you, you can always lean more on them. This team has legit 3 combo guards after Bron, and that gives them so many different looks to opposing teams. We can match up with teams in so many different ways. Special. We need is Bron-AD to peak at the right time in the playoffs, and these guys around them to play their roles with 100% effort. Not at all surprised by the ass kicking they are giving teams like Houston, because this year they are that much more talented on offense.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:18 am    Post subject:

BTW - Last 3 games (3-0 Laker wins).

Dennis has taken care of the ball and taken a lot less shots.

5-11 FGA (Win vs Bulls)
3-10 FGA (Win vs Houston)
6-9 FGA (Win vs Houston)

A few games ago even with AD in the lineup his FGA shooting was 8-16 (Loss vs Portland) 6-15, 4-13, 5-15 etc.

There has been far less forced shots, and more patience. The best plays were the 1-3 S&R game with Bron in the Chicago game. Something has clicked since then, and we are seeing him play on a completely different level, not looking to shoot the ball or force passes that are not there. Patience ... It is great to see.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 282, 283, 284  Next
Page 57 of 284
Jump to: