THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2962, 2963, 2964 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
I know these people are the worst, but something about this story about the way they treat the people who risk their lives to keep them safe is particularly chilling.

Quote:
Jared and Ivanka told the Secret Service not to use ANY of the half-dozen bathrooms in their home, so the federal government has been spending $3,000 a month — more than $100,000 to date — to rent a basement studio, with a bathroom, from a neighbor.

Quote:
Jill Filipovic @JillFilipovic

Secret Service agents were walking down the street to BARACK OBAMA'S HOUSE and using his bathroom while they were on the job, because Ivanka and Jared wouldn't let the agents use their toilets.

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ribeye wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
ribeye wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

I voted for Stein last time because I couldn't stand the idea of HRC being our first woman President.

Wow, I just saw this referenced. Please explain exactly what it was that caused you to feel this strongly. I have asked many why they hate Hillary and I've never received a rational answer based on facts or her history. I just didn't like her but I can't explain why is a piss-poor answer when the alternative was a mob boss, con-man, egomaniacal, narcissist. So, though your statement may not go quite so far, it does share some or much of the sentiment.

I said unless I lived in a swing state... but you all continue to go off because I disliked the way the DNC ran their campaign.

Sorry I blew up there. . . .

I did not see the swing state comment. My daughter (shame on her) voted for Stein, but when she explained that it did not matter, coming from California, (so no shame on her), I accepted that as a reasonable position.

I beg to differ. The "symbolic" "protest" voter in safe states wasn't happening in a silent vacuum. They were buying, spreading, amplifying, and blessing russian retconned GOP propaganda, and feeling like they were part of a movement, a revolution even. And they helped pass that camaraderie and comfort and support and motivation along to similar people in the battleground states. And that ultimately was just enough...

Maybe. Probably. I don't know. Most people, like my daughter, really have zero to maybe just barely a wee bit influence on anyone, let alone a nation.

So, those with a voice I agree with you. The others . . . maybe . . . probably . . . I don't know.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
ocho wrote:
I know these people are the worst, but something about this story about the way they treat the people who risk their lives to keep them safe is particularly chilling.

Quote:
Jared and Ivanka told the Secret Service not to use ANY of the half-dozen bathrooms in their home, so the federal government has been spending $3,000 a month — more than $100,000 to date — to rent a basement studio, with a bathroom, from a neighbor.

Quote:

Secret Service agents were walking down the street to BARACK OBAMA'S HOUSE and using his bathroom while they were on the job, because Ivanka and Jared wouldn't let the agents use their toilets.

Dude just always does or says the right thing. What a man! (And I'll add, what woman--for Michelle)
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
ocho wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

To be honest, if I were the Secret Service, I wouldn't want to use Jared and Ivanka's toilet.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject:

In looking at the YouGov poll, Republicans still:

79% somewhat or strongly approve of Trump

58% somewhat or a lot like Trump

60% think he is honest

And much more, proving just how little critical thinking and character matters to them.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
It's amazing how some of you really believe that voters come up with the ideas of how to vote for themselves as opposed to outside monetized forces combined with data mining.

I have to say, having read your posts over the last couple of pages, this comment is laughable. You have literally parroted every single mindless and baseless cliche there is about Biden and Clinton and the whole "lesser of two evils" etc. nonsense.

I'd go as far as saying Biden might have been the best possible candidate to defeat Trump.

But being a good candidate is different than actually being a good President.

Let's see what Biden does.

Again with the ad hominems. Amazing how otherwise decent people become uncivil if someone says something they disagree with.

Got to go to work... will reply to anything directed at me later.

Pointing out the obvious irony in your assertion isn't an ad hominem.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ribeye wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
ribeye wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

I voted for Stein last time because I couldn't stand the idea of HRC being our first woman President.

Wow, I just saw this referenced. Please explain exactly what it was that caused you to feel this strongly. I have asked many why they hate Hillary and I've never received a rational answer based on facts or her history. I just didn't like her but I can't explain why is a piss-poor answer when the alternative was a mob boss, con-man, egomaniacal, narcissist. So, though your statement may not go quite so far, it does share some or much of the sentiment.

I said unless I lived in a swing state... but you all continue to go off because I disliked the way the DNC ran their campaign.

I did not see the swing state comment. My daughter (shame on her) voted for Stein, but when she explained that it did not matter, coming from California, (so no shame on her), I accepted that as a reasonable position.

I beg to differ. The "symbolic" "protest" voter in safe states wasn't happening in a silent vacuum. They were buying, spreading, amplifying, and blessing russian retconned GOP propaganda, and feeling like they were part of a movement, a revolution even. And they helped pass that camaraderie and comfort and support and motivation along to similar people in the battleground states. And that ultimately was just enough...

Maybe. Probably. I don't know. Most people, like my daughter, really have zero to maybe just barely a wee bit influence on anyone, let alone a nation.

So, those with a voice I agree with you. The others . . . maybe . . . probably . . . I don't know.

But in concert with others who say the same things, there's influence.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
ocho wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

"Kushner was assassinated?! How in the hell did that happen on your watch?!"

"I'm sorry, sir, I ate Korean last night and had to run down the block to the Obamas while Agent Johnson was using the port-a-potty around the corner. It was an emergency."
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
ocho wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

To be honest, if I were the Secret Service, I wouldn't want to use Jared and Ivanka's toilet.

You’d be squandering a once in a lifetime opportunity for an upper decker.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
ocho wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Six more days to sneak in and become a legend.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Tank you!

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject:

Breitbart says, Jobless Claims Jump to 965,000, Much Worse Than Expected

I wonder why they illustrated this article with a picture of . . . Biden.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject:

White House liaison sought derogatory info on E Jean Carroll from DoJ official
Quote:
The White House liaison to the Department of Justice (DoJ), Heidi Stirrup, sought out derogatory information late last year from a senior justice department official regarding a woman who alleges she was raped by Donald Trump, according to the person from whom Stirrup directly sought the information.

The revelation raises the prospect that allies of the US president were directly pressing the justice department to try to dig up potentially damaging information on a woman who had accused Trump of sexually attacking her.

Link: The Guardian

Just a reminder that Trump remains a serial sexual predator at large, that he will no longer be shielded from having to provide a DNA sample in Carroll's defamation suit against him, and that Merrick Garland is going to have to disinfect the DOJ from top to bottom to purge Trump's filth.
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject:

Red Sox legend Curt Schilling says his insurance policy has been CANCELLED by AIG after he tweeted in support of Capitol rioters

Quote:
He tweeted: 'You cowards sat on your hands, did nothing while liberal trash looted rioted and burned for air Jordan's and big screens, sit back, stfu, and watch folks start a confrontation for s**t that matters like rights, democracy and the end of govt corruption. #itshappening.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9147287/Red-Sox-legend-Curt-Schilling-says-insurance-CANCELED-wake-tweets-Capitol-riot.html

Code language.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
Why was Warren originally my first choice... why would I be happy with Gillibrand? Why would I admire AOC? Why would I have preferred Barbara Lee to be senator? Why do I wish Nina Turner would run for the Senate? Why did I like Klobuchar even though she's a moderate?

Why are you citing those people as evidence against a misogynistic statement? It can take many forms. Sure, the extreme would be being against any and all women BECAUSE they are women. But because you're not an extreme version of it, it sounds like -- from what you're saying -- that subtle versions of it are flying under the radar. To wit -- your lack of anything substantive to say regarding Clinton's qualifications to be President. Would you actually apply that same standard and use a wife's attributes in your decision-making regarding a man's qualifications to be President?

Quote:
I just didn't like the Clintons from the time of Bill's BS and lies even though I thought he was a decent President.

See?

Quote:
But sure call me a misogynist as apparently some of you need to label and categorize people instead of accepting they have a different opinion than you might have.

Don't give me that crap. Every time someone makes a complete ass of themselves on the board and gets moderated, or even booted, their excuse is because "the moderators don't like my opinions." It's not because your opinion is different than mine -- I accept that and welcome that, and would HAPPILY engage with well-thought-out and well-articulated opinions that are different from mine. But you don't get to throw out crap and then hide behind "you just cant stand a different opinion" when it's called for what it is.

Second, lay off the claim of ad hominem victimization. I don't know you as a person. I can only read and react to what you write. If you make a claim that overtly or tacitly contains misogynistic elements, then my response is based on what you write -- because that's all I have to go on.

Or, just to give an extreme example to illustrate the point -- and I'm NOT saying YOU said this -- if someone who's absolutely not a racist writes on a message board "I hate black people" then that is a racist statement whether or not the person him/herself is a racist.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject:

I hate dentists!

I'm an anti-dentite!

("Seinfeld" reference)

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject:

If you can stomach it, this tweet from Bellingcat links to a YT page where they're uploading Parler videos of the Capitol insurrection: https://twitter.com/bellingcat/status/1349516777059983360
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ribeye wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
ribeye wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

The Bernie was cheated hillary is evil vote Stein thing was fostered by Russian bots and agents and picked up and spread by regular people, like your daughter. They were the carriers, not mainstream news pundits. That was the design. The bots themselves were designed to mimick ordinary people. It was astroturf and real, regular followers were gold.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
ocho wrote:

Tank you!

LOL, you'd just be screwing over the maid. I'd personally use Jared's shoes.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject:

A PRIMER ON WHY BERNIE FAILED TO GET THE NOMINATION, TWICE.

[TL:dr]

The black vote. That will be all.

In total seriousness, I'm not anyone big. I am a 50-something year old black man who has been a bona fide Democrat (former delegate to the Democratic National Convention), bona fide Socialist (joined the Young Socialists of America in 1979) and bona fide Progressive (board member of a social justice organization that has "Progressive" in its title).

Back in 2016, I got into a heated discussion with a couple of Bernie's (local) campaign folks about his lack of support in the Black community back then. Bernie (like Nixon), wasn't "comfortable" around Black people and really didn't speak to our issues beyond the basic economic ones (which has been an historical issue for marxism and socialism in America). I suggested that Bernie needed to do serious and specific engagement with established Black leaders (instead of 24-year old Instagram influencers who had never engaged core Black voters) and the response was basically "if Black voters are too stupid to see how good Bernie will be, that's on them." It may have been a correct point of view - but it was completely unhelpful to getting him the nomination and Hilary took the Black vote in the primaries like Bernie was a Republican.

Fast forward to 2019, Bernie comes to the Islamic Center of Southern California on a campaign stop and to talk about the violence at the NZ mosque (I'm not a Muslim, but was invited). He brings Nina Turner & some millennial Black PR folks with him - good look, good moves, good people - and he's good in the room on economic issues, etc. His campaign is gaining steam among younger Black folks (like my 30-something year old kids) . . . yet on Supre Tuesday, Bernie is absolutely murdered by black voters - something like a 70-point swing.

Why?

1 - Black voter pragmatism. As much as Black voters are in tune with progressivism (and we are, even the staunch churchgoers like me), Donald Trump was an existential problem for us. Trump HAD to go for the future of the race and older, traditional Black voters weren't convinced that Bernie could draw enough White voters to beat The Donald.

2 - Loyalty to Obama. Biden was ride or die for Obama, he had Barack's imprimatur and he was a willing attack dog for Obama. That meant a ton to the Black political establishment and to those core Black voters.

3 - Not enough prior engagement with the Black community. For good or ill, Black folks knew Hilary, we knew Joe and we didn't have an historical relationship with Bernie.

Just my $0.02.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
A PRIMER ON WHY BERNIE FAILED TO GET THE NOMINATION, TWICE.

[TL:dr]

The black vote. That will be all.

Yep.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
ocho wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Fair point.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
FernieBee wrote:
ocho wrote:

Tank you!

LOL, you'd just be screwing over the maid. I'd personally use Jared's shoes.

Or take them a special chocolate pie as a farewell gift ala The Help
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The DC attorney general's office has notified President Donald Trump's son, Donald Trump Jr., that it would like to interview him as part of its investigation into misuse of his father's inaugural funds, a spokesperson with the office tells at CNN.

The interview request comes after new information about Trump Jr.'s role was revealed in court filings earlier this week.

In January 2020, the DC attorney general's office sued the Trump Organization and Presidential Inaugural Committee alleging they misused more than $1 million raised by the nonprofit by "grossly overpaying" for use of event space at the Trump Hotel in Washington for the 2017 inauguration.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/14/politics/dc-attorney-general-donald-trump-jr-inaugural-funds-abuse/index.html
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Good for that ^

Flint water crisis investigation: Snyder and 8 others charged

I betcha Mrs. Maddow has something to say about this tonight.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2962, 2963, 2964 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 2963 of 3663
Jump to: