THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2965, 2966, 2967 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
I’m confident there are deals to be made with him, but the big problem is anything that’s going to either hurt his standing in his state or lose him the leverage he has. Things like DC statehood.

I hope you are right. I just remember the crap Blue Dog Democrats pulled during the ACA negotiations. And it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Don’t get me wrong, he’s going to potentially hold up a lot of stuff we could do otherwise.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
2 - Presumptive pardons (for crimes not charged) have been issued, but there's a school of thought that they're unconstitutional and may not stand if challenged in court.

Not only that, I'm wondering about descriptive pardons as opposed to named pardons. A pardon for "Rudy Giuliani" is one thing. A pardon for "anyone who participated in the Jan 6, 2021 U.S. Capitol insurrection" might not be kosher.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
I’m confident there are deals to be made with him, but the big problem is anything that’s going to either hurt his standing in his state or lose him the leverage he has. Things like DC statehood.

I hope you are right. I just remember the crap Blue Dog Democrats pulled during the ACA negotiations. And it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Don’t get me wrong, he’s going to potentially hold up a lot of stuff we could do otherwise.

Do West Virginians care about the filibuster? Manchin could become the second most powerful person in D.C. instead of the eleventh most conservative vote on watered down legislation if he just embraces the pork.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Ya'll should be worried about Joe Manchin if passing as many things as possible is the goal.

Who says we aren't? I'm concerned about anyone who could gum up the works. Commenting specifically on one thing AOC (or anyone else does) doesn't mean others aren't also a concern.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject:

We can always get more funding at another time. Folks wanted $2k with the last one. That at least makes that part whole.

Now, let's figure out what we can do these next few months. Probably need more funding, but let's not muddy the water eh?
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
2 - Presumptive pardons (for crimes not charged) have been issued, but there's a school of thought that they're unconstitutional and may not stand if challenged in court.

Not only that, I'm wondering about descriptive pardons as opposed to named pardons. A pardon for "Rudy Giuliani" is one thing. A pardon for "anyone who participated in the Jan 6, 2021 U.S. Capitol insurrection" might not be kosher.

Where do you draw the line on Preemptive pardons? Could someone pardon someone for all murders he might commit. How all robberies? How about all embezzlements? All rapes? Could someone be pardoned for any one specific crime, planned but not executed? Then there is something akin to this situation where a crime was committed but not yet charged. How about a crime was committed and not charged, but other crimes were charged? Lastly, is the Nixon pardon.

I say all are unconstitutional
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Where do you draw the line on Preemptive pardons? Could someone pardon someone for all murders he might commit. How all robberies? How about all embezzlements? All rapes? Could someone be pardoned for any one specific crime, planned but not executed? Then there is something akin to this situation where a crime was committed but not yet charged. How about a crime was committed and not charged, but other crimes were charged? Lastly, is the Nixon pardon.

I say all are unconstitutional

I'd have to agree, because a pre-pardon assumes facts not in evidence.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject:

tlim wrote:
We can always get more funding at another time. Folks wanted $2k with the last one. That at least makes that part whole.

Now, let's figure out what we can do these next few months. Probably need more funding, but let's not muddy the water eh?

You get one shot at a specific type (such as spending) of reconciliation bill per year. They could do some kind of compromise for a smaller bill and then pass a reconciliation bill later, to get more stuff the Republicans don't want, which would be akin to the sneaky (bleep) Mitch pulled . . . but as we all know, what goes around . . . .

The problem with approach: Money to the states to expedite the vaccination rollout would be delayed since the Republicans are against this. This should be a priority and needs to be done yesterday. Until it is done, it should be sold to the general public over and over and over and over. No Democrat should speak about anything, anywhere, without bringing up the need for this vaccination funding to the states.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject:

PLATNUM wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Here’s a picture of one tour group with Boebert, several of whom participated in the attack the next day:

https://mobile.twitter.com/danger7/status/1349651319972376576/photo/1

Gee . . . I wonder what that hand gesture they are making means?

One of the idiots is wearing a tac vest. Smh.
Fckn hillbillies. Guaranteed they drink Busch light and have a broken down pickup in their front yard. No one saw this coming huh? This was an inside job through and through.

HEINEKIN?!1 F THAT SHT! PAAABST! BLUE RIBBOON!1...

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HelpfulBogusFlyinglemur-size_restricted.gif
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Here’s a picture of one tour group with Boebert, several of whom participated in the attack the next day:

Fckn hillbillies. Guaranteed they drink Busch light and have a broken down pickup in their front yard. No one saw this coming huh? This was an inside job through and through.

*huffs some nitrous*

DADDY WANTS TO COUP!
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:

DADDY WANTS TO COUP!

DON'T LOOK AT ME, FAAH! Ooh, what are these?!, MMM MMM MMM OH YEAH MMM...

DAVE! (throws cassette tape). Candy colored clown!1
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject:

This is an old article that has merit. Trump is already showing signs of worry as his businesses are losing money and investors are leaving him. His financial woes are enough to cause him to double his Prozac intake.

GOOD READ

Is President Donald Trump a Flight Risk?

LINK

SIDE NOTE: Our country is on full alert. Never before have I seen such. As Nancy Pelosi said Trump is a CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
easybreeze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
This is an old article that has merit. Trump is already showing signs of worry as his businesses are losing money and investors are leaving him. His financial woes are enough to cause him to double his Prozac intake.

GOOD READ

Is President Donald Trump a Flight Risk?

LINK

SIDE NOTE: Our country is on full alert. Never before have I seen such. As Nancy Pelosi said Trump is a CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER.

His best bet is to keep his secret service protection here in the US, since Iran issued an warrant for his arrest .
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

The real answer to all these questions is, "we don't know." Until they are ripe, and litigated, they remain in the gray area.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject:

NRA files for bankruptcy
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:

DADDY WANTS TO COUP!

DON'T LOOK AT ME, FAAH! Ooh, what are these?!, MMM MMM MMM OH YEAH MMM...

DAVE! (throws cassette tape). Candy colored clown!1

Just need to photoshop in a few thin blue line flags:

Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject:

From what I’ve heard and read from constitutional scholars, the president’s pardon power is pretty broad and unrestrained other than a few main areas that are explicit or implicit:

Has to be crimes against the United States, thus only federal offenses.
Cannot be for future offenses
Cannot pardon self
Cannot pardon as part of a criminal scheme (this is where several trump pardons may be in jeopardy)

Beyond that, the ability to pardon for offenses charged or uncharged is not really prohibited by anything in the constitution. Pardoning someone for all past offenses does not violate any particular part of the constitution. There is no requirement of specificity.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

The real answer to all these questions is, "we don't know." Until they are ripe, and litigated, they remain in the gray area.

Yep. The SCOTUS has a long and busy road ahead.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Some of their recent rulings on subpoenas and financial documents indicate that even the conservatives at the Supreme Court don't believe he's above the law, which means that they will eventually rule a self-pardon unconstitutional. That's probably one of the reasons he's freaking out. He was probably told by his lawyers that a self-pardon won't ultimately help him, and that's not even counting his problems in the state of New York.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Trump has requested a large sendoff to be planned for the morning of Jan. 20, sources said, after he choppers via Marine One to Joint Base Andrews, where he is expected to give remarks to supporters and departing members of his administration.

Sources add that Trump has requested his departure ceremony to have a "military-like feel," although details are not finalized.

He hopes to depart to the blare of a military band, with a red carpet and military honors, according to sources briefed on the plans. Even some sort of military flyover has been suggested, they said.

Maybe a bomb could "accidentally" fall out during the fly-over. Leave office with a real bang.
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
FernieBee wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Ya'll should be worried about Joe Manchin.

Yeah, he has Lieberman written all over him.

He's the only type of Democrat who could win West Virginia. Republican-lite.

We're gonna have to bribe the crap out of his state to get anything done the next 2 years. West Virginia is gonna look like the Jetson's universe by the time it's 2022.

Good points but the Dems need to stick it to Manchin and anyone else who opposes D.C. statehood- Yes, it would net the dems two more senators but after the chaos of the 6th, it is painfully obvious to me DC needs to have its own National Guard, and representation.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:
Kyle Griffin @kylegriffin1

Speaker Pelosi has asked ret. Lt. Gen. Russel Honoré to investigate the security of the U.S. Capitol following last week's insurrection.

That's a very good thing.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

So much better now that PBR is owned by Russians.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Does not appear to be true.

https://www.9news.com/article/news/verify/verify-lauren-boebert-photos/73-17a9f881-40c0-40d6-8087-8da2efdebf97
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Does not appear to be true.

https://www.9news.com/article/news/verify/verify-lauren-boebert-photos/73-17a9f881-40c0-40d6-8087-8da2efdebf97

Thanks for the info . . . but regardless of the timing and context, she's still posing with people who are making the white power gesture.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2965, 2966, 2967 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next
Page 2966 of 3673
Jump to: