Official ANTHONY DAVIS Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1020, 1021, 1022 ... 1423, 1424, 1425  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
That's right, AD. Let our FO know they (bleep) up. You don't mess with a championship roster. As old saying goes, don't fix it if it ain't broke. Now that they broke it, then they've gotta fix it.

What
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
ramirezmu8 wrote:
27 years old entering his prime, sitting games out, and lazily coasting while Lebron at 36 going strong and playing with more effort. SMH

With the reduced time off between seasons I have no problem working a little load management in when it's an viable option. Second night of a back to back against a lower tier team is the perfect opportunity to rest one of our key pieces. I'm sure LBJ will take the opportunity as well at some point. As Chick used to say, "No harm, no foul."

I agree. This season is unique, especially for the Lakers and Heat with the short turnaround.

As much as I love to see the players going with max effort all the time, it simply isn't possible in the marathon that is the NBA season.

This year's team is different and will have to find its own identity which I don't think it has yet.

But I am fine with focusing on health while still winning at an acceptable clip and building towards the money games later in the year.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject:

I'm good with AD pacing himself in this compacted season after a short turnaround and then elevating his game in the postseason like he has pretty much every time he's gotten there. Giannis can go all out in the regular season and get another MVP for all I care. All that matters is the chip.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
I'm good with AD pacing himself in this compacted season after a short turnaround and then elevating his game in the postseason like he has pretty much every time he's gotten there. Giannis can go all out in the regular season and get another MVP for all I care. All that matters is the chip.

I'd personally rather him take a few days off here and there instead of mailing it in for 3 quarters.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject:

Vogel gently replies to AD's criticisms of the teams defense

Anthony Davis was critical of Los Angeles’ defense after the loss, and while Vogel agreed with his star he still preached patience. “Well, coming into [Thursday] night’s game, we were second in the league in defense,” Vogel said.

“We had a terrible defensive night, so I understand his frustrations. I felt the same exact way, but at the same time, it’s early in the season. It’s a process. We’re learning a new group and we’re evolving as a team. This is just part of the process.

“We had bumps in the road, very similar to [Thursday] night, early in the season last year. It’s just something we have to continue to work at each day. Not a big concern of mine.”

The Lakers gave up 118 points against the Spurs, and had trouble containing LaMarcus Aldridge, who scored 28 points on the night. Vogel detailed some of the defensive coverages, but also credited San Antonio.

“Again, I don’t think it was 100% us lacking,” Vogel explained. “I think sometimes you have to credit your opponent, and the Spurs shot the heck out of the basketball from the perimeter. We were a little bit slow to some coverages early in the game, but Aldridge gives them a different dynamic.

“The way we were guarding Patty Mills in particular, trying to bring two to the ball every time he came off screens, it worked a lot better when LaMarcus Aldridge was not out there. When he was out there, it created some problems that we had to adjust throughout the game. When we did play good defense, they swung the ball around and hit a guarded shot.

“Sometimes there’s a perfect storm of breakdowns early and when you do get it right, guys hit tough shots. Just one of those nights.”

https://lakersnation.com/frank-vogel-understands-anthony-davis-frustration-but-not-concerned-about-lakers-defense/2021/01/09/

PS: Extend Vogel's contract Rob, kthnx
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject:

Yeah, Frank is one hell of a leader.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:

I'd personally rather him take a few days off here and there instead of mailing it in for 3 quarters.

I agree.
poppies
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Yeah, Frank is one hell of a leader.

Completely agreed. He sets an even tone of professionalism and competence perhaps better than any other coach right now.
mj32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:16 am    Post subject:

Great game by AD. So much skill. He can be the best player in the league...iIF he wants to be.
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:11 am    Post subject:

mj32 wrote:
Great game by AD. So much skill. He can be the best player in the league...iIF he wants to be.

Consistency is key though
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Kobetan wrote:
mj32 wrote:

Consistency is key though

I'm not worried about consistency when it comes to AD or Lebron at all. I will say the defensive consistency has to start happening during a lot of the second half though to get the whole team doing it on a nightly basis. AD and Lebron are in it for the long haul and AD might be over doing it a bit at times as far as sitting it out or coasting some games but i'm completely fine with that considering the circumstances if it equals them being healthy and somewhat fresh to start the Playoffs.

I don't think Lebron or AD cares that much about regular season awards this year especially. They absolutely would love them like any player obviously but they aren't going to kill themselves to do it.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Christian Wood has a lot of growing up to do, you don’t call out the Lakers and the best big in the league while letting your team get blown out while in the same process have the Lakers front-court get whatever they wanted against him, yeah he’s probably gonna put in his best effort tomorrow against AD and the Lakers but no one knew who he was until he started to produce.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject:

This is why AD > Giannis, u can give it to AD at the last 2 mins of a tight game and let him work, jumpers, drives, 3s, FT, all covered. The other dude when walled, gotta give up the ball
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:53 pm    Post subject:

AD is the best defensive player in the league....and it's not even close.

When finally Vogel decided to put AD on BI tonight was when the game turned around. BI wanted no part of AD after getting packed.

AD (and maybe, perhaps a non-pfooting Giannis) is the only man that can check KD. And he would. If Vogel is smart, he will.

And I didn't mention his offensive skills. Legit on all 3 levels.

We're blessed.

Kiss my Converse.
lordtrapula
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject:

AD looks so much more imposing on defense this year than last year.

His passing also as of late has looked legit, I love watching his all-around game develop even better now that he doesn't have to carry the lakers scoring bulk.

Like the numbers probably don't say it but I think he looks better this year.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject:

AD has been a lot less active in scoring this year. Can not pin point the exact reason. His defensive intensity is back. But he seems to not have that 1st option mindset anymore. Perhaps he is simply just seeing all the talent around him and moving the ball more, but against a smaller Warriors frontline, AD typically destroys. It is not the first time this season, I have felt that we are not using AD right.

I would like AD to be more aggressive as a scorer, he is scoring 21 of the teams 115 average. When you take into account the percentage, that is about 18%.

Last year, AD averaged about 23% of our points. Almost a quarter.

His usage at 25.6% is the lowest it has been since his second year in the league. In comparison, Lebron, his usage has gone up (or been indentical) to last year at 31.6%.

It makes little sense to me why we are making the most dominant big man of this era less effective and less involved. We are not running our offense through him enough, and he for his part, is just going along with it. This is a dude that showed up in the playoffs in Kobe like mode, averaging 29 ppg and hit game winning 3s.

I really hope as the playoffs approach, we shift gears towards getting AD far more involved. He is suffering a little, and being pushed to a little too much Kevin Love-Chris Bosh like role for my liking. He is far more dominant than those guys, he is a proven playoff winner, and scorer at 29-30 ppg a game and 30% usage.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject:

He is just coasting. I don't see him mentally in it this year. I can understand some of the Finals returning cast being a little toasted mentally but at some point it the light has to go on. He's so talented that at his current 70-75% effort he's still putting up great stats.

We just seem to suck at home too. I think that's a big mental block playing at home to an empty arena.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject:

The defense is there. ADs defensive ratings are fantastic again.

D rating 100 (better than last years 102).
DBPM 2.2 (Last year 2.6)

He is just getting the ball less, and Frank has asked him to shoot more from outside. Last year, when he had a weak game, Bron made it his mission to get him going next game right from the start. Rondo in his ear. He was also in that mentality to be the teams #1 guy.

This year, he seems to be playing too much like Bosh/Love, and it also role design. We added a lot of talent around him. But weird how the usage for Bron stays same (as does his role) but ADs gets shifted .... we need to remember AD is just as important as Bron.

Hopefully he gets back that Kobe Bryant 6'11 scoring mode in the playoffs. It is pretty much impossible to stop AD when you set him up well, in his strong spots. We do not do that, this season, on a consistent basis, like we were last year.

If it were only effort, his D would not be where it is. After a slow start, his D has been top notch again.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject:

I think having Gasol (instead of Jav who would block shots but also make a ton of defensive mistakes) has helped the ratings.

But offensively, it's effort. He's just content to float, not fight for position, etc. I think overall he's mentally just coasting a bit.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Kobe played for ranks and history every singe time he put on his jersey. I understand Grandpa Lebron needing to coast, but I don't like this at all about AD. He might have top 5 talent, but he ain't got top 5 drive. Our championship hopes are done when Bron is done. We are the AD Pelicans without Lebron. Now I know why they struggled.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:09 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/elijahmatheson2/status/1351529175392407553?s=21

Quote:
Anthony Davis when defended by Draymomd Green last night in 8:31 matchup minutes:

3 points
1/7 FG
0/1 3P
1/2 FT

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Kobe played for ranks and history every singe time he put on his jersey. I understand Grandpa Lebron needing to coast, but I don't like this at all about AD. He might have top 5 talent, but he ain't got top 5 drive. Our championship hopes are done when Bron is done. We are the AD Pelicans without Lebron. Now I know why they struggled.

I agree that when Lebron is done being a top 3-5 player in the league. so is the championship window.

But ADs teams can be better than Pels if the team around him is good. Lebrons best teammates have been Wade-Bosh, Kyrie-Love, or at least 1 bonafide all-star usually 2. The first time in a decade he played with a Pels like team, it was our Lakers team in 18-19. They at best were a 5th seed type in the West and end up being a lottery team.

Lebron with those Pels teams wins squat and probably does not get out of the 2nd round most years. There is no doubt Lebron, Kobe those guys have more drive than AD. They are more valuable to build around. However you can build around AD waaaay better than the Pels. They did a horrible job surrounding him with a defensive team, that can space the floor and give him an all-NBA level guard. Closest was Holiday, who while good, is not Kyrie-Wade level.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:

It's easy to respect that view, because it's true. It's funny because we'll rank players all the time based on points, but we seldom measure drive. Add drive plus talent and you have your Kareem's, Magic's, MJ's Olajuwon's, Karl Malones, and of course our icon who passed away a year this month.

That is what separated Kobe and Shaq. Shaq always needed a beef, or a bad memory to get up to play. Kobe chased greatness. LeBron does as well, but AD is not as driven in that sense. That's ok. It is, what it is.

The FO will have to be mindful to surround him with dogs when deciding on moves post LeBron.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject:

We are so spoiled. Kobe. LBJ.

AD is going to be an all timer too. But yes, we will need someone who can continue pushing him once LBJ is gone. Right now AD is deferring the leadership to LBJ. A time will come when he may need to take the mantle or we will have to find someone who can.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject:

People that bash AD in order to prop up LeBron need to understand that without AD here we don't win the Finals, and the season prior without AD here but still LeBron, we missed the Playoffs.

LeBron needs AD just as much as AD needs him. LeBron likely moreso at this point in his career.

The team needing another alpha dog when LeBron retires will be a discussion for when LeBron retires as I'm sure there will be options available.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1020, 1021, 1022 ... 1423, 1424, 1425  Next
Page 1021 of 1425
Jump to: