Official ANTHONY DAVIS Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1021, 1022, 1023 ... 1423, 1424, 1425  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject:

RashardA wrote:
AD is playing very uninspired basketball.

Effort has been subpar and his defense (for his standards) has been horrible.

Losing Dwight and JaVale will prove costly for this team.

For a player with AD's injury history, it was such a luxury having Dwight and JaVale take the load off of AD's shoulders by banging at the 5.

Gasol alone is not the answer at the 5.

Becomes more and more obvious as the season goes on.

And we really havent even faced any teams with dominate bigs yet.

Agree 110%
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
People that bash AD in order to prop up LeBron need to understand that without AD here we don't win the Finals, and the season prior without AD here but still LeBron, we missed the Playoffs.

LeBron needs AD just as much as AD needs him. LeBron likely moreso at this point in his career.

The team needing another alpha dog when LeBron retires will be a discussion for when LeBron retires as I'm sure there will be options available.

They have different strengths. Leadership isn't AD's, which is why he's a great fit with LBJ. AD is the defensive leader by miles. Symbiotic relationship.

Pointing out that AD isn't an upper tier leader isn't bashing AD but acknowledging his strengths/weaknesses.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Really need to stop using the "shortest layoff in sports history" excuse.

Teams also had the "longest break before the playoffs in sports history" and also the "shortest end of the season playoff run in sports history"

Not arguing that last season wasn't incredibly odd in the formatting. Playing 60, taking off four months, coming back for 10 useless games then a 20 game playoff run.

The Lakers and Heat had 2 1/2 months to rest after that 30 game bubble sprint. They had time to rest, recover from minor injuries (no surgeries to my understanding?) and get in some workouts over that 70 days. Not sure how they got "out of shape" in that time?

It is about motivation and desire. Last season they wanted to prove a point. They proved one hell of a big one winning a Championship.

So far this season they are talking about desire, but are they proving anything? No worries, they are 6-3. But are they the "same" players we saw last year? It will be cool when those guys show up for this season.

Perhaps there is a need to clear up the definition of "coasting".

I personally consider coasting as playing limited minutes, but still playing effectively. Others may consider "coasting" as not playing with full effort.

In my opinion, when you are a professional person, considered to be among the best in the world at your position, and being paid $30 MILLION dollars plus, you don't do anything with less than full effort. Period. End of story, dammit. Yes. You can pace yourself. But I don't remember Magic, Bird, and especially Jordan and Kobe "coasting" in any games, and they won multiple championships.

That said, if Lebron and Davis must "coast", then at least contribute to quality basketball against strong opponents, and play half-assed against the weaker ones. These guys are good enough to play effectively for short bursts, without pulling out all their guns. Lebron has sort of done this, but when he gets in 'lazy-mode', we all know it, cuz he'll be jacking up 3 pointers and making careless turnovers (and blaming the refs/teammates in the process).

When Davis is in lazy mode, it's harder to conceal, and he's been lazy much more than Lebron. I am very disappointed with AD because he is young, and unlike Lebron, he doesn't have the individual accolades yet. I look at The Greek Freak, and that guy is full on every game. I'd like to see AD play with at least some of that passion.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject:

Marathon, not a sprint.

Worry if this is happening a month before the playoffs as opposed to the first month of the season.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:06 pm    Post subject:

What has happened to AD's 3 ball? It seems he has lost confidence in his shot as he isn't taking 3's and his FT percentage is down.
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:17 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
What has happened to AD's 3 ball? It seems he has lost confidence in his shot as he isn't taking 3's and his FT percentage is down.

Looks like it. He just said in his interview that he sucks haha.

I expect him to bounce back quickly though
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:13 am    Post subject:

He acknowledged after the game that "he's in a funk".
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
He acknowledged after the game that "he's in a funk".

His minutes are down and his role is less of a scoring player, but if you look at the advanced metrics, his impact is still major league.

AD

O rating 119 (+6 vs team average)
D rating 100 (+4.7 over team average)
BPM 6.3

His per 36 numbers vs last year

His turnovers are down, his assists are up (great sign of improved IQ and playmaking)
His 3% shooting is up
His 2% shooting is up

His defensive stats are a little down, as are his FGAs.

The main thing that is down, are his FTs. He is not drawing fouls or attacking the basket as much, but I think this is design by the coaching staff. They asked him to play more outside this year.

I do believe there is some coasting going on, but his usage is down to 25%. The lowest it has been since his 2nd year in the NBA. That is not him coasting, that is our offense schemes and having Dennis Schroder coming in (instead of a low usage starter) making a difference as well.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/davisan02.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject:

So the people at Lakersnation made a really good point - how many times have you seen AD hit the ground this year compared to last year?

They think that the Lakers are trying to get AD to take more jumpers in the regular season and force contact and hit the ground less in general to help with injury management. And that come playoff time you'll see him attack a lot more on both ends of the court
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:

If he didn't show his abilities last season, I'd guess he was doing his best. Good and bad shooting nights come and go. Unless he's hiding an injury or the yips, he's showing that he hasn't put the same work in as he did before. He made 26 ft's in a game last year with 1 miss. He couldn't do that to save his life right now. He didn't put in the same work and the proof is in the pudding. Apparently, he's not as hungry.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:

If he didn't show his abilities last season, I'd guess he was doing his best. Good and bad shooting nights come and go. Unless he's hiding an injury or the yips, he's showing that he hasn't put the same work in as he did before. He made 26 ft's in a game last year with 1 miss. He couldn't do that to save his life right now. He didn't put in the same work and the proof is in the pudding. Apparently, he's not as hungry.

Him and Lebron both went all out in the Playoffs and then barely got any time in the offseason to fully reset let alone also put much work in so idk if it's really all that fair to say he didn't put in the work. I'd say he's more in a bit of a shooting slump then anything and it becomes a mental thing that affects your ft shooting as well just like his ridiculous hot shooting gave him extra confidence in the Playoffs last season.

To say he's not hungry because he's in a current shooting slump 16 games into the shortest off season for a team in sports history after just playing historically great in the Playoffs and winning a Championship only a little over 3 months ago is a bit much I think.

If he looks like this to end the season and into the Playoffs then yeah, i'd be right there with you but I have a feeling both him and Lebron will be looking a bit different at that point.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:11 am    Post subject:

hype wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:

Him and Lebron both went all out in the Playoffs and then barely got any time in the offseason to fully reset let alone also put much work in so idk if it's really all that fair to say he didn't put in the work. I'd say he's more in a bit of a shooting slump then anything and it becomes a mental thing that affects your ft shooting as well just like his ridiculous hot shooting gave him extra confidence in the Playoffs last season.

To say he's not hungry because he's in a current shooting slump 16 games into the shortest off season for a team in sports history after just playing historically great in the Playoffs and winning a Championship only a little over 3 months ago is a bit much I think.

If he looks like this to end the season and into the Playoffs then yeah, i'd be right there with you but I have a feeling both him and Lebron will be looking a bit different at that point.

Reasons for not doing as much as he could have done are still an indication of not doing work. KCP isn’t just hot, he’s worked on his his shot and it shows. Caruso isn’t going through a hot streak either. He also did the work. They all had the same amount of time off. Davis was going to get his shots coming into the season. KCP wants pt and is still trying to prove his worth. AC is playing for a contract, so it’s clear that his great rise in shooting is no accident. AD’s form hasn’t changed. Shooting consistency takes work, no if’s, and’s, or but’s. If his shooting improves, it will be because he put in extra in-season work. There’s a reason guys who improve regularly tell stories about routinely putting up hundreds or thousands of shots to get to that point. Guys who regress never (truthfully) say they worked relentlessly on shooting.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The Lakers have had a 96.2 DRTG w/ Anthony Davis on the court since he ripped their defensive effort against the Spurs two weeks ago.

That’s an absolutely constricting number, and one that’s nearly 10 points better than the 2nd ranked defense in the league (106.0).
NMLaker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject:

I think one thing missing from the shortened off season discussions that I read and hear is the mental side of it. Imagine playing for all the marbles (the intensity and focus)...then have to come back and play what, in comparison, must seem like meaningless games. That's got to be hard if you haven't had the kind of time that creates the "absence makes the heart grow fonder" effect. (Get the itch to go and play again...in that relative mental space.)
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Quote:
The Lakers have had a 96.2 DRTG w/ Anthony Davis on the court since he ripped their defensive effort against the Spurs two weeks ago.

That’s an absolutely constricting number, and one that’s nearly 10 points better than the 2nd ranked defense in the league (106.0).

He’s the best and most valuable defender in the league .... by far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Quote:

Hope AD stops playing like he's the best 3&D player in the league, and start playing like an MVP candidate. We need you Brow!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject:

Kobetan wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Quote:

Hope AD stops playing like he's the best 3&D player in the league, and start playing like an MVP candidate. We need you Brow!

I agree he is sitting outside the paint way too much, but this is by design. Vogel told him he wanted him to shoot more 3s this year. I am not upset with the fact that he shoots 3s or sits out there. What I do not like is when he gets the ball in an isolation and then takes a fadeaway. He can get better shots for himself. The rest, is the design of the offense.
D-Shiznit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject:

AD has been awful offensively, aside from the CHI game. He needs to bring his best game next game or Embiid will eat his lunch.
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Kobetan wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Quote:

I agree he is sitting outside the paint way too much, but this is by design. Vogel told him he wanted him to shoot more 3s this year. I am not upset with the fact that he shoots 3s or sits out there. What I do not like is when he gets the ball in an isolation and then takes a fadeaway. He can get better shots for himself. The rest, is the design of the offense.

100%. Like you said a player of his caliber has to do more than that, or at least be more consistent. That's what separates the good players from the great imo.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject:

He's like the early Tim Duncan with the ball. Doesn't know how to pass when double team and get a little flustered sometimes.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject:

I wonder how long before Davis plays his way into shape. Doesn't yet resemble his peak version.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject:

He is struggling, but at least he stepped up and took on Drummond and Allen late. Couple of key defensive stops by him at the rim.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject:

Looks like he’s been playing in 2nd/3rd gear, which is what i expected. We still have the best record in the NBA, which i did not expect. Just keep your body safe, AD.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject:

Players like Hakeem, Shaq, KG would play like 40 minutes a game at AD's age. I don't get why he needs to be rested so much.

He's playing 8 minutes less than those guys... you'd think he'd have more energy.

It's good he only plays 32 minutes... but they should be more intense considering he plays more like a Rodman amount of minutes.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject:

Currently this season where would AD rank?

ESPN ranked him 2nd before the start of the season....... don’t think so, not right now
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1021, 1022, 1023 ... 1423, 1424, 1425  Next
Page 1022 of 1425
Jump to: