Lakers vs the League - The Stats
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject:

we top 5 in blocks? nice
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject:

Lakers are now tied for 1st in Defensive Rating.

https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/defense/?sort=DEF_RATING&dir=-1
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The Lakers' 5-man lineup of SchrΓΆder-KCP-LeBron-Davis-Gasol has now taken the #1 spot in Net Rating among all lineups with 100+ minutes played.

They are +29.6 per 100 possessions with a 131.3 offensive rating while on the floor.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
we top 5 in blocks? nice

Now 3rd in blocks and 2nd in defensive rebounding. So our size and rim protection still pretty effective.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:

If the Mavs defense is legit (currently 2nd in Defensive Rating), they have some real upside with Porzingis coming back.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Relevant to the defense discussion.

https://twitter.com/Tim_NBA/status/1349829838018924544

Quote:
Now 3rd in blocks and 2nd in defensive rebounding. So our size and rim protection still pretty effective.

Surprising amount of blocks from THT and Kuzma too.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
governator wrote:
we top 5 in blocks? nice

Yeah, some here are/have been way overstating the concern about needing another rim protecting big for sure. All of our bigs are huge weapons on both ends this season which I think a lot of people don't consider since both Dwight and McGee are somewhat liabilities on that end and def. don't help space the floor in any way.

I'm sure we'll still get that extra big that sits at the end of the bench for insurance at some point later in the season but it's def. not a glaring concern at all, more so just would be a great luxury.

The only teams that have any real possibility at this point in the season challenging a healthy Lakers team is probably the Clippers and Nets which i'll take our bigs over there's quite easily. Teams like Utah or Denver don't matchup overall imo. There's a few others that could make some small trades and be a bit more dangerous but nothing to be overly concerned about as of now.

I love our versatility of the front court this season and with time I believe they will only get better.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Quote:

Yeah, Kuz seems to be taking up for the loss of Green's rim protection. Just doing it a little differently.

Like they mention in the link you put up, that was what I was in wait and see mode for. Could we play with pace like we did previously if we aren't gambling for steals as much on the perimeter with guys able to erase mistakes behind us?

AD started the season really slow with the rim protection. LeBron wasn't ready to play D yet. But once they came to play and we started being more aggressive on our perimeter two-man coverages, things are falling into place. The pride on that end of the court has picked up again. Last year we were hungry, we had Bradley setting the tone. This year, our superstars were pacing themselves a bit for the marathon, then finally got ticked.
_#1_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
governator wrote:
we top 5 in blocks? nice

Some stats that reflect scoring defense inside aka net effect > Points in Paint Allowed and even better Opponent FG% inside 5ft.

We're ranked 18th in Opp points in paint for the season and listed as 28th in the last three games.
Last reg season 7th almost tied with the Clips at 6.

We're ranked 13th in Opp FG% within 5ft. That's 5% worse than leaders 76ers and the Cavs.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject:

_#1_ wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
governator wrote:
we top 5 in blocks? nice

Some stats that reflect scoring defense inside aka net effect > Points in Paint Allowed and even better Opponent FG% inside 5ft.

We're ranked 18th in Opp points in paint for the season and listed as 28th in the last three games.

We're ranked 13th in Opp FG% within 5ft. That's 5% worse than leaders 76ers and the Cavs.

Eh, how much of that was done in a blowout situation like the past 2 games?

LAL didn't blow out teams like this, this early in the season, last year. LBJ and AD actually stay on the bench.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Quote:

Yeah, Kuz seems to be taking up for the loss of Green's rim protection. Just doing it a little differently.

Like they mention in the link you put up, that was what I was in wait and see mode for. Could we play with pace like we did previously if we aren't gambling for steals as much on the perimeter with guys able to erase mistakes behind us?

AD started the season really slow with the rim protection. LeBron wasn't ready to play D yet. But once they came to play and we started being more aggressive on our perimeter two-man coverages, things are falling into place. The pride on that end of the court has picked up again. Last year we were hungry, we had Bradley setting the tone. This year, our superstars were pacing themselves a bit for the marathon, then finally got ticked.

Agreed. It's tough for me to considering team defensive ratings because of the slow start to Marc and AD at the same time, and with two recent blowout games, the stats carry less weight.

I don't expect to be the steal leaders LAL was last year, but I do expect a more compact painted area with a lot of shots contested/rebounding. It's not sexy, but still a championship winning formula. Even with all the guard play of HOU and OKC from individual players, those teams were easy to blow out. Those are good signs.

_#1_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
_#1_ wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
governator wrote:
we top 5 in blocks? nice

Eh, how much of that was done in a blowout situation like the past 2 games?

LAL didn't blow out teams like this, this early in the season, last year. LBJ and AD actually stay on the bench.

Last nights lay up drill started out of the gate. It improved later on.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
we top 5 in blocks? nice

Yep. Soon as AD decided to give a F, our defense has been putting the clamps down.

I'm REALLY happy with Kuzma's weak side blocks too. He's doubled his block rate this season compared to his career.

We loaded...
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Last nights lay up drill started out of the gate. It improved later on.

That's what I mean by it's deceiving. LAL looked in charge of the entire game from the tip, so I wouldn't care about a layup line.

Also, off their drives, they shot 40.7%
https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/drives/?Season=2020-21&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&LastNGames=1&TeamID=1610612760

https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/shooting-efficiency/?Season=2020-21&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&LastNGames=1&TeamID=1610612760

When the paint touch FG% is 58.3% with that "layup line" it's usually a win. That's above average man.

joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
governator wrote:
we top 5 in blocks? nice

I'm just going by the eye test, but from what I can see our defensive rebound ranking is great in part because of how often the Laker perimeter defenders leak out for the long pass after a rebound of an opponent's missed jumper.

The scouting report must be that opponents have to focus on getting back early just to keep up with our runners, and that impacts how many defenders fight for offensive rebounds. If they don't prioritize chasing us down (KCP and AD in particular), we get the easy score... sometimes even if they made the basket and we in-bounded the ball up court in a hurry.

It also doesn't hurt that we still have a huge team that bullies opponents around in the paint.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:08 am    Post subject:

Lakers have 5 players score double figures in 12 of 14 games and 6 in double figures in 6 of the 14
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:29 am    Post subject:

Lakers have 6 players(that get minutes) shooting 38% from three or better.

Alex Caruso 58.3%
KCP 55.3%
Kuzma 40%
Matthews 39%
LeBron 38%
Gasol 38%

After that is Davis whom shoots 37% from three.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
LAL are No. 1 in DEF EFF, but 23rd in paint points against (47.9) after ranking 7th last year at 44.6. Frank Vogel said it’s too early to draw any conclusions about that, but did say he challenged his back line defenders about rim protection that’s been lagging the last 4 games.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:

In other threads, there is discussion about opponents shooting percentages from particular places on the court. One item that just pops out as extraordinary is the Lakers' opponents 3pt shooting percentage of 23.6% from the right corner (link). That percentage is 5 points below the next lowest. The lowest tean percentage in the 2019-20 season was 31.6%. It almost seems too low to be true.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
we top 5 in blocks? nice

very noice
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject:

In 19 minutes this season, the Dennis/KCP/AC/Lebron/AD lineup has a +51 net rating.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
In 19 minutes this season, the Dennis/KCP/AC/Lebron/AD lineup has a +51 net rating.

Very nice!
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers lead the league in:

πŸ”’ Defensive rating (104.4)
πŸ”’ Points allowed (103.6)
πŸ”’ 3-pointers allowed (10.7)
πŸ”’ Free throw attempts allowed (17.5)

https://twitter.com/JoeyARamirez/status/1357790694597775361?s=19
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:

Those free throw attempts allowed will probably go a bit under the radar but that's something that has really stood out to me. The coaching staff has done an incredible job getting everyone to play sound defense and not foul (tons of credit to the players as well obviously for actually executing it). I see so many guys getting in there opponents head and pestering them but not picking up stupid fouls even when heavily baited.

Kind of like Gasol, I see many saying that Jokic simply missed a lot of shots he normally makes and while that's true Gasol also played fantastic positional defense and outside of the first couple baskets he made everything difficult and just a bit harder then usual. When a guy can't get comfortable he has a much bigger chance of missing those other shots he normally makes, it becomes a mental battle at that point.

It wasn't just Gasol obviously, Trezz did a fantastic job on him as well and even our guards at times. When guys like Battier guarded Kobe he was still taking shots he'd normally make but they were contested a bit better which caused a better chance at a miss. Kobe still made some obviously but it was not nearly as easy as it was against most other people guarding him on those same shots. That's all you can ask for when playing against the elite players of the League.

Also, Jokic had just dropped nearly 50 on Gobert in the previous game before playing us and just killing it this entire season. AD hasn't even come close to how he was playing in the Bubble and the Playoffs last year yet, this team is going to be scary asf defensively and can easily matchup to anyone in the League.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
32 wrote:

Those free throw attempts allowed will probably go a bit under the radar but that's something that has really stood out to me. The coaching staff has done an incredible job getting everyone to play sound defense and not foul (tons of credit to the players as well obviously for actually executing it). I see so many guys getting in there opponents head and pestering them but not picking up stupid fouls even when heavily baited.

Kind of like Gasol, I see many saying that Jokic simply missed a lot of shots he normally makes and while that's true Gasol also played fantastic positional defense and outside of the first couple baskets he made everything difficult and just a bit harder then usual. When a guy can't get comfortable he has a much bigger chance of missing those other shots he normally makes, it becomes a mental battle at that point.

It wasn't just Gasol obviously, Trezz did a fantastic job on him as well and even our guards at times. When guys like Battier guarded Kobe he was still taking shots he'd normally make but they were contested a bit better which caused a better chance at a miss. Kobe still made some obviously but it was not nearly as easy as it was against most other people guarding him on those same shots. That's all you can ask for when playing against the elite players of the League.

Also, Jokic had just dropped nearly 50 on Gobert in the previous game before playing us and just killing it this entire season. AD hasn't even come close to how he was playing in the Bubble and the Playoffs last year yet, this team is going to be scary asf defensively and can easily matchup to anyone in the League.

To be fair, fat harden probably had a lot to do with that number, lol he might singlehandly increase that number by 2 if he played like the previous seasons in the 2 games against us

Last edited by mad55557777 on Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 20 of 21
Jump to: