QFTOS: Lakers Beat Pelicans
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Wow, even Pelicans fans hate Lonzo.

Zo always has this look like he would rather be anywhere in the world, then on the court playing basketball. He doesn’t have passion. He doesn’t look like he is enjoying the game.

Todd Marinovich?

Overbearing dad...kid who had the talent but not the love?

#BannersOverBillboards
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
Maybe a hot take, but Zion is underwhelming compared to what people said he would be coming out of college, and I say that fully aware of the limited sample size and injury hiccups so far (and hell, the injury concerns make his prospects even more dicey). I'm not even talking about the casuals wowed by the dunks, but people who really know basketball swore he's the best prospect since Lebron and would be a top 5 player rather quickly.

He's been good, and the counting stats put him in historical company, but I don't think his actual impact measures up to that. I just don't see that "special" quality that should stand out pretty early on for a prospect like him (think Luka). His stats aren't necessarily translating to winning basketball right now, and tbh, I can't really visualize how they will until he makes some major strides in certain areas. He could definitely still get there, don't get me wrong, but it's not going to be as easy and quick as people expected. There are some fairly large-sized holes in his overall game.

He has played in 34 games. For his career. And he’s putting up 22/9/2.

Funny thing is he still has a ways to go and that’s the scary part.

No, I get that...the numbers are absurd. But it's just hard for me to see how his current playing style translates to say, a top 5 player in the NBA and leading a contender, which is what he's ultimately billed as (and the huge caveat of 34 games is obviously noted). Maybe his archetype hasn't been defined yet, and I'm too focused on seeing what he's doing now and comparing to those that have come before him, putting limits on him.

But looking at what Luka did right out of the gate, you could see how his play translated to his team being better, and that's the caliber of player Zion was billed as. When I look at him, I can't help but think of guys like Blake Griffin (who also put up absurd numbers from Day 1) and to a much lesser extent, Randle. Great players, but not in top 5 discussions, and not leading contending teams on their own.

Anyway, 34 games in, and it's all just talk. I DID say it might be a hot take, lol. We'll see how his career unfolds. Still tons of upside like you said. If this is the baseline, he's still an All-Star at minimum. I'm only bristling at the Lebron comparisons by the media. Let's not go there just yet, guys.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
ocho wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
Maybe a hot take, but Zion is underwhelming compared to what people said he would be coming out of college, and I say that fully aware of the limited sample size and injury hiccups so far (and hell, the injury concerns make his prospects even more dicey). I'm not even talking about the casuals wowed by the dunks, but people who really know basketball swore he's the best prospect since Lebron and would be a top 5 player rather quickly.

He's been good, and the counting stats put him in historical company, but I don't think his actual impact measures up to that. I just don't see that "special" quality that should stand out pretty early on for a prospect like him (think Luka). His stats aren't necessarily translating to winning basketball right now, and tbh, I can't really visualize how they will until he makes some major strides in certain areas. He could definitely still get there, don't get me wrong, but it's not going to be as easy and quick as people expected. There are some fairly large-sized holes in his overall game.

No, I get that...the numbers are absurd. But it's just hard for me to see how his current playing style translates to say, a top 5 player in the NBA and leading a contender, which is what he's ultimately billed as (and the huge caveat of 34 games is obviously noted). Maybe his archetype hasn't been defined yet, and I'm too focused on seeing what he's doing now and comparing to those that have come before him, putting limits on him.

But looking at what Luka did right out of the gate, you could see how his play translated to his team being better, and that's the caliber of player Zion was billed as. When I look at him, I can't help but think of guys like Blake Griffin (who also put up absurd numbers from Day 1) and to a much lesser extent, Randle. Great players, but not in top 5 discussions, and not leading contending teams on their own.

Anyway, 34 games in, and it's all just talk. I DID say it might be a hot take, lol. We'll see how his career unfolds. Still tons of upside like you said. If this is the baseline, he's still an All-Star at minimum. I'm only bristling at the Lebron comparisons by the media. Let's not go there just yet, guys.

He has to get better in certain areas for sure, but I think he has all the tools to fill them. Like most young players, he is focused on getting his points right now. Defensively, at least from what I’ve seen, he’s been pretty bad. The physical profile is there though and this is quite a starting point.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:

And he's only 20 years old. Zion's issue with me is and will be his ability to stay on the court.

He's an endomorph and those guys don't tend to last in sports like basketball with the constant moving and pounding. They're more susceptible to joint injuries and Zion already - at 20 - has a history of joint injuries:

HS - missed months because of a knee contusion, later missed Nike Summit because of a hand injury.

Duke - shoe "exploded" and he missed a few weeks with a knee injury.

2019 NBA Summer League - you guessed it, another knee injury.

2019-20 Regular Season - missed 4 months due to a meniscus (knee) problem, likely related to the SL injury.

Bubble: missed games due to leg cramps and complications from the meniscus.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Zo always has this look like he would rather be anywhere in the world, then on the court playing basketball. He doesn’t have passion. He doesn’t look like he is enjoying the game.

Todd Marinovich?

Overbearing dad...kid who had the talent but not the love?

That's who I thought of immediately.
bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject:

CaCHooKaMan sighting on Facebook

www.facebook.com/CaCHooKaManHLS/videos/1762672643893703/
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject:

bluehill wrote:

I was going to mention this yesterday. Hopefully no one bothers him this time because there are a couple of others doing extended Lakers highlights.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

I’d say about 80% of the thread I pulled from was Nico Melli hate. They really can’t stand him.

Melli and JJ both forgot to shoot. JJ is old, so he has an excuse. Melli can’t defend so when he can’t hit shots he’s useless.
bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
bluehill wrote:

I was going to mention this yesterday. Hopefully no one bothers him this time because there are a couple of others doing extended Lakers highlights.

Yeah, those are fine, but CaCHooK's are the best for Lakers fans.
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
ocho wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

I’d say about 80% of the thread I pulled from was Nico Melli hate. They really can’t stand him.

Melli and JJ both forgot to shoot. JJ is old, so he has an excuse. Melli can’t defend so when he can’t hit shots he’s useless.

JJ is set for life, no need to perform on the court. He recently had Bob Iger on his podcast lol
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject:

bluehill wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
bluehill wrote:

Lakeshow Highlights are really good too.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC4dWK6U2ZNBnYEPJpgLUmQ

It could very well be Cachookaman for all I know.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
bluehill wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
bluehill wrote:

Lakeshow Highlights are really good too.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC4dWK6U2ZNBnYEPJpgLUmQ

It could very well be Cachookaman for all I know.

That account as well as Kno Bodies.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
ocho wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:

And he's only 20 years old. Zion's issue with me is and will be his ability to stay on the court.

He's an endomorph and those guys don't tend to last in sports like basketball with the constant moving and pounding. They're more susceptible to joint injuries and Zion already - at 20 - has a history of joint injuries:

HS - missed months because of a knee contusion, later missed Nike Summit because of a hand injury.

Duke - shoe "exploded" and he missed a few weeks with a knee injury.

2019 NBA Summer League - you guessed it, another knee injury.

2019-20 Regular Season - missed 4 months due to a meniscus (knee) problem, likely related to the SL injury.

Bubble: missed games due to leg cramps and complications from the meniscus.

bleh, sounds like another Bynum
_#1_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject:

Buzzards need to begin to pull it together. You don't want a team if guys putting their hand out to be paid. In the throws of losing. Team is growing up.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject:

There isn’t a leader who can pull this team together. Seems like a bunch of guys just putting up numbers for themselves. No cohesion.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject:

Think they should look at trading Bledsoe tbh.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
There isn’t a leader who can pull this team together. Seems like a bunch of guys just putting up numbers for themselves. No cohesion.

Definitely not that.. There aren't any selfish players on that roster. They just need better coaching on offense.
composite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

He had that same look with the Lakers and UCLA. I think he's just a stoic fella. Just like Kawhi. Except not nearly as good.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: