Phil Spector, famed music producer and murderer, dead at 80

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Phil Spector, famed music producer and murderer, dead at 80

Spector died of complications due to coronavirus he contracted in prison: Rolling Stone
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject:

Just saw that. Talk about a mighty fall in life.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject:

A murderer and a genius.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

He was always a gun toting drug addict even at the peak of his career. He fired off a round at Lennon and put a gun in Leonard Cohen's face. He terrorized his first wife Ronnie Bennett. Just a talented scumbag who got away with it because of his immense talent until it was too late.

Anyway, rest in peace Lana Clarkson.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject:

I knew his sister at one time and he was even more evil than you already thought he was.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Phil Spector, famed music producer and murderer, dead at 80

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Spector died of complications due to coronavirus he contracted in prison: Rolling Stone

Too bad that article made him murdering somebody basically a footnote. The guy was a musical genius but also a madman.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

He was always a gun toting drug addict even at the peak of his career. He fired off a round at Lennon and put a gun in Leonard Cohen's face. He terrorized his first wife Ronnie Bennett. Just a talented scumbag who got away with it because of his immense talent until it was too late.

No doubt. He was always a scumbag. It's the peak to prison decline I'm talking about, and it was well deserved.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject:

"Congratulations to Ronnie for outliving Phil Spector..."

https://twitter.com/Czaroline/status/1350843535407378435
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

I found out in recent years that Lana Clarkson was Mrs. Vargas from Fast Times At Ridgemont High. She was shown briefly shaking Mark Ratner's and Arnold's hands during the final dance scene. She yanked her hand away from Arnold.

Gun thing reminds me of Jayson Williams. It was absolutely bound to happen. He's luckier than Phil was. And in Phil's case, they couldn't even pull the Robert Blake defense of portraying Clarkson as a vicious B to try to gain sympathy from a juror or two. And Spector was utterly bizarre and weird looking and ugly and a generally offputting character, which isn't good if you're up for murder. Those 12 people will be judging you by outward appearance no matter how much they aren't supposed to.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Did they build special "walls" for his cell?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject:

I'm odd man out. I'm not a fan of destroying good rock by inundating it with Wagnerian opera.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject:

And during a time when his most famous haircut is en vogue.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Overrated, and liked to show his guests a .44 caliber good time. RIP to a real scumbag
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
I'm odd man out. I'm not a fan of destroying good rock by inundating it with Wagnerian opera.

Completely agree. It was OK for the girl bands of the early 60s, but has no place in rock and roll in my opinion.

Guys like Spector and George Martin over engineered a lot of albums, they weren't alone in that as even great bands like the Grateful Dead allowed producers to ruin their studio albums.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Ruining a Grateful Dead album is like ruining a Yoko Ono album. It’s possible, but no one could tell either way.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Ruining a Grateful Dead album is like ruining a Yoko Ono album. It’s possible, but no one could tell either way.

LOL, good point!
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

I liked Spector's treatment of the song "Across The Universe". Added strings and choir, which were stripped off in the "Let It Be...Naked" version. Made it sound more ethereal than the "Unplugged" style that John apparently strived for. I think it should've sounded the way Phil produced it, the lyrics were plaintive and mystical and alluded to death and reincarnation, etc. It's like how their song "In My Life" should have sounded the way it did instead of using some raw acoustic sound.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Neither of which come close to your ruined attempt an analogy.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject:

My buddy who services his aquarium told me today before the news even broke. He does Rob Schneider's tank too, I guess his mom died a few days ago as well.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject:

Dladi Vidac wrote:
My buddy who services his aquarium told me today before the news even broke. He does Rob Schneider's tank too, I guess his mom died a few days ago as well.

Hey, Dladi, you had me all F'd up in that "I'd buy THAT NPZ book for a dollar!" thread. They were all laughing at me and I made a mirror shatter while staring at it like Carrie. J/K, of course, Acer. You and spflakers and Pats M B "understand" the non-zealot. The rest? They're incapable of recognizing the greatness.

Did you ever go to that rad aquarium business in Pomona circa 89-90s? Can't remember the name, but it was the most impressive aquarium joint I had ever seen. It was a large store w/ different sections and maybe 75-100 tanks that were all crystal clean and beautiful for the most part. They had fishys in there that were amazing, stuff I've never seen before in saltwater and various biggies like arowanas. Beautiful place to go kill an hour in. I know it's not there any longer. They also had an orange Morris kitty in the front store/supplies end that had fur that felt like mink. I've never petted a puss with hair that smooth.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Dladi Vidac wrote:

Hey, Dladi, you had me all F'd up in that "I'd buy THAT NPZ book for a dollar!" thread. They were all laughing at me and I made a mirror shatter while staring at it like Carrie. J/K, of course, Acer. You and spflakers and Pats M B "understand" the non-zealot. The rest? They're incapable of recognizing the greatness.

Did you ever go to that rad aquarium business in Pomona circa 89-90s? Can't remember the name, but it was the most impressive aquarium joint I had ever seen. It was a large store w/ different sections and maybe 75-100 tanks that were all crystal clean and beautiful for the most part. They had fishys in there that were amazing, stuff I've never seen before in saltwater and various biggies like arowanas. Beautiful place to go kill an hour in. I know it's not there any longer. They also had an orange Morris kitty in the front store/supplies end that had fur that felt like mink. I've never petted a puss with hair that smooth.

your Majesty, no I never went there. No way my mom would have drove me that far. I used to get so excited when the new Yellow Pages was issued. I used to go right to the T's, A's, C's and B's. Tropical Fish, Aquariums, Comic Books, Baseball Cards and call up all the new ones that I didn't see the year before. God I love you. Not the type of love that one has for their brother or son, but the type of love these trumptards have for their dear slumlord leader. I now finally understand them.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

I agree. I hate that overproduced "wall of sound" crap.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject:

Dladi Vidac wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Dladi Vidac wrote:

your Majesty, no I never went there. No way my mom would have drove me that far. I used to get so excited when the new Yellow Pages was issued. I used to go right to the T's, A's, C's and B's. Tropical Fish, Aquariums, Comic Books, Baseball Cards and call up all the new ones that I didn't see the year before. God I love you. Not the type of love that one has for their brother or son, but the type of love these trumptards have for their dear slumlord leader. I now finally understand them.

Thanks, brotha D. I've got all the deadly sins, myself, so the Trump thing might not be too far off.

The Pomona jernt was on Garey Ave. Took me till literally just now to finally come up w/ the street. This part is an edit of the sentiment above. I remember that it was a large place for an aquarium biz, not no rinky dink shop. It was more or less shaped like an upside down L with a storefront w/ the cat and all kinds of pet supplies and a number of excellent tanks in there and it also branched off into a side area w/ 100 tanks if not more. I just remember being impressed w/ the cleanliness and arrangements of their tanks which were designed to sell fish, but they went the extra step of decorating them.

They musta had eeeevery effin saltwater fish available at that time, ridic assortment. All the standards and many exotic lovelies. There was one of those ghost jack knife looking fish that were white w/ black spots and they had some kinda wrasses that were 3-4 neon colors and had like a pink rectangle on their flanks that were perfectly rectangular. They looked like basketball shoes do now. They had some parrot fish, too, which you don't want growing up (expert level fish). And they weren't altered or injected w/ dye in any way, I knew the diff. I think their puss was simply a standard one, but they did a superb job keeping it combed and bathed, which makes sense since the rest of their stuff was so immaculate. The owners just probably knew how to take care of their animals to a T.

There was another smaller shop around there that kinda specialized in discus and they had a gorg discus tank w/ blue/red marlboros and the like. Recall it being overpopulated, but they actively sold discus from it so it was more or less a goldfish tank.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject:

JFC
Quote:
He hit me and it felt like a kiss
He hit me but it didn't hurt me
He couldn't stand to hear me say
That I'd been with someone new
And when I told him I had been untrue

He hit me and it felt like a kiss
He hit me and I knew he loved me
If he didn't care for me
I could have never made him mad
But he hit me and I was glad

Yes, he hit me and it felt like a kiss
He hit me and I knew I loved him
And then he took me in his arms
With all the tenderness there is
And when he kissed me, he made me his

Produced By
Phil Spector
Written By
Goffin and King, Carole King & Gerry Goffin
Release Date
February 1963

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: