Spectrum Sportsnet / DirecTV Picture Quality?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
msb212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: Spectrum Sportsnet / DirecTV Picture Quality?

So, I just switched from Dish to DirecTV so I can watch Lakers more easily. I’m watching on a new, 2020 Samsung Q90T, which is their top of the line 4K tv. In closeups, the picture quality is fantastic. But the half court wide shot is awful - players faces and jersey numbers are blurry, and it’s behind terrible.

I’m wondering if this is just the broadcast quality or if there’s something not set up properly with my settings. Had no issue when the Lakers were in 4K recently and as I said the closeup camera is fine - it’s just the half court cam. Not limited to rapid motion either - it’s terrible even when there are free throws so it’s not a motion issue. Could be an up scaling issue?

My instinct is it’s an issue with the broadcast rather than my setup but if no one else has this issue then it’s something on my side. In my prior set up it was terrible too, but I was usually watching a stream online and casting it to the tv, so I figured it was due to airplay.

Love to hear whether anyone else has this issue...
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject:

I see that a lot on away games. It must have to do with the camera quality at those arenas. It is usually the wide shot from the higher up that looks bad.
ibitegirls
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject:

From my understanding, Spectrum is probably broadcasting in 1080p or 720p. Its likely 1080p if you have the full HD package with DirecTV. I don't believe Spectrum does any live 4K broadcasts, but I could be wrong.

With that said, since you are using a TV that is clearly advanced and can handle 4K and HDMI 2.0, I'd guess you have some sort of configuration/setup issue where the TV is configured for 4K but what your watching is not 4K. Have you tried to play with the video settings on the TV to make sure its not trying to do 4K resolution when the content is 1080p or less?
Coppertop
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject:

...following...
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject:

That’s just the way it is. The commercials come in great, but the numbers are blurry. I have spectrum no they claim their boxes do 720p or 1080p but the signal is degraded on top of that. We have to wait for them to go to 4K for the jerseys to be clear on the full shot.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject:

I watch on the Spectrum App on my TV. Spectrum has some weird glitches and pixelation at times . . . but AT&T internet speed was glacial in the east SFV and with the wife working at home, we had to switch to Spectrum for the speed.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:50 am    Post subject:

Maybe can be a calibration issue with your Samsung. I got 2 Samsung and use the suggestions in here.

www.rtings.com

Go there and find the review of your Samsung. Hope it helps.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: