ESPN: There's a gap between Clippers and Lakers (Clipper/Laker Discussion)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 287, 288, 289 ... 437, 438, 439  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:28 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Kevin Ding: “Clippers are playing hungrier than the Lakers”

👀

Who's Kevin Ding?
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:43 pm    Post subject:

It's less then 20 games into the season so of course they are playing hungrier.. Lakers just came off a Championship and still have great chemistry even with a somewhat reloaded roster while the Clippers had a massive meltdown and severely choked in the Playoffs and were getting humiliated in both the media and social media in every direction for the entire off season.

If this is the case once the Playoffs start then it's something to talk about but isn't that kind of scary in itself that the Lakers are not remotely playing hungry to start the season and still have the best record in the NBA? As the great Kyrie would say it's gonna be "scary hours" for the League soon enough.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:04 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:

👀

Of course they're playing hungrier than the Lakers. One team has been starving for it's first championship, the other is still digesting it's last one. Shhhh.
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:30 am    Post subject:

Lou Williams is not playing very well right? Only 11 points yesterday.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:49 am    Post subject:

So what! Clippers and all other teams playing hard now, Lakers cruising and reserving their stars for the playoff while still winning... which one is the better strategy? This Kevin Ding could’ve spin that statement any other way
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:

👀

chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject:

SPO200 wrote:

He's been awful this year. Maybe due to not having his P&R partner anymore and/or new offensive system. Also he might be done with this team mentally. He is a natural trade ballast for them to improve at the deadline. If he gets traded to a bad team, he could get bought out and join us
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject:

chantruong wrote:
SPO200 wrote:

He's been awful this year. Maybe due to not having his P&R partner anymore and/or new offensive system. Also he might be done with this team mentally. He is a natural trade ballast for them to improve at the deadline. If he gets traded to a bad team, he could get bought out and join us

YES! I would love to have Sweet Lou back, plus he is buddy with Lebron!
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject:

ksmgf wrote:
chantruong wrote:
SPO200 wrote:

It will be funny if he joins the Nets though.
Seriously speaking, if he joins the Lakers, I think they can cover his lack of defense, just like how they did with rondo last season.
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject:

leking006 wrote:
ksmgf wrote:
chantruong wrote:
SPO200 wrote:

Seriously speaking, if he joins the Lakers, I think they can cover his lack of defense, just like how they did with rondo last season.

then converting Lakers to clippers will be officially complete.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject:

Wow that went from a close game to an absolute clowning.
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:

My instincts tell me to panic because Clippers are playing much more consistent than us, so I constantly remind myself that I felt the same last year too..

They do look great and no-nonsense this year
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject:

leking006 wrote:
ksmgf wrote:
chantruong wrote:
SPO200 wrote:

Lou looks cooked in the few games I've watched.
poppies
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:44 pm    Post subject:

Kobetan wrote:
PenG_ wrote:

My instincts tell me to panic because Clippers are playing much more consistent than us, so I constantly remind myself that I felt the same last year too..

I remember that feeling so well, haha
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:44 pm    Post subject:

Their coach isn't going to allow them to get comfortable the way Rivers does.

That said, we wouldn't have lost 2 in a row if we had AD. So no real big worries right now.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:33 pm    Post subject:

poppies wrote:
Kobetan wrote:
PenG_ wrote:

Just like last year. They still have a garbage point guard, questionable depth, and pg13 has had better years only to choke.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
poppies wrote:
Kobetan wrote:
PenG_ wrote:

Just like last year. They still have a garbage point guard, questionable depth, and pg13 has had better years only to choke.

And that is why I don't want them to get Lonzo or Derrick Rose. I'd rather they keep their point guard weakness.

One thing I will say though is that Ty Lue has them playing hungrier than Rivers did. Again, Rivers is a players coach, Ty Lue is a no nonsense one. That's essentially the kind of coach they needed.

So we can't go against them assuming they're in the same place this year mentally that they were last year. Last year they were playing like they'd already won the Championship, all the load management, the missed practices, the special treatment, the bragging, etc etc etc

This year their approach is not the same, because their coach is not the same. A no nonsense, focused Clippers team is a dangerous one. We have to be no nonsense and focused in return.

Because regardless on how much we clown them, next to us they're the best team in the West. The Jazz have won 11 straight, but at the end of the day it's still Donovan Mitchell feat. The Utah Jazz, and that matters in Playoff time.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject:

We are 25% into this season, so still time but right now we have a role reversal between the Clippers and Lakers.

Last season, the Lakers formed an identity and it carried a limited roster through some great accomplishments and also being battle tested for the playoffs. Nothing seemed to phase last season’s team. Just mentally tough. The clippers, on the other hand, expected to be handed the 2020 NBA championship and celebrate with this “LA our way” propaganda.

This season, the clippers are staying quiet and just balling out. They are forming that professional identity in themselves. The Lakers are expecting to turn it on when they need to just like the clippers from last season and just like that team they are having trouble with the on/off play where the opponent just works and stays close and the Lakers just blow the lead or need a heroic Lebron performance to bail the team out.

The Lakers have time, but they better start building their game like they did last season and going through the process professionally or else some team will do to them what the Nuggets did to the clippers in the 2020 playoffs.

Having the best roster is only part of the equation. Ask the 2019-2020 Clippers down the hallway.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:52 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
We are 25% into this season, so still time but right now we have a role reversal between the Clippers and Lakers.

Last season, the Lakers formed an identity and it carried a limited roster through some great accomplishments and also being battle tested for the playoffs. Nothing seemed to phase last season’s team. Just mentally tough. The clippers, on the other hand, expected to be handed the 2020 NBA championship and celebrate with this “LA our way” propaganda.

This season, the clippers are staying quiet and just balling out. They are forming that professional identity in themselves. The Lakers are expecting to turn it on when they need to just like the clippers from last season and just like that team they are having trouble with the on/off play where the opponent just works and stays close and the Lakers just blow the lead or need a heroic Lebron performance to bail the team out.

The Lakers have time, but they better start building their game like they did last season and going through the process professionally or else some team will do to them what the Nuggets did to the clippers in the 2020 playoffs.

Having the best roster is only part of the equation. Ask the 2019-2020 Clippers down the hallway.

Understand what you're saying. However, a key difference is that one team's confidence is based on (recent) proven results while the other team's confidence is based on delusion and being out of touch with reality. Hoping we get to send the Clips home this year in the playoffs.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:18 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:

<snip>
while the other team's confidence is based on delusion and being out of touch with reality.

As much as I dislike the Clips, this is harsh. They're focused and playing hard, way different from last year. Which makes them a legitimately dangerous team. When teams play hard each and every minute, focus on teamwork and let their game do the talking then anything can happen; witness Miami's ECF run last year.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject:

Let's see, outside the 2 stars (ours are better)
Ibaka and Gasol is a wash, both on their last legs but have the smarts
Schroeder is better than Lou, especially on def
Montrezl is better than Marcus or Batum

then we have KCP, THT, AC and Kuz to throw at PG

I like our chances
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

<snip>
while the other team's confidence is based on delusion and being out of touch with reality.

As much as I dislike the Clips, this is harsh. They're focused and playing hard, way different from last year. Which makes them a legitimately dangerous team. When teams play hard each and every minute, focus on teamwork and let their game do the talking then anything can happen; witness Miami's ECF run last year.

They elite for reg season last year when guys played
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject:

The Lakers had only 71 days off in-between seasons. The Clippers had an extra month of rest and 11 fewer playoff games. It makes sense they would have fresher legs to start the season.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject:

Have to quit using the short off-season excuse. It is debatable of how much it truly is an impact.

The fact remains this season the Clippers are playing at a consistent high level. The Lakers have been inconsistent with their focus, intensity and efficiency.

Both will be there at seasons end. Both will be competitive. Both will rely on their stars to be stars and the chemistry of the role players. Going to take a team playing at a high level and injury free to make it through the competitive Western Conference and a tough Finals matchup with whoever survives.

It is a new season. Most likely won’t have a four month rest before the playoff sprint this year. We will see how a long season effects Leonard and James. Or George or Davis. Or any number of vets on either team making it to the playoffs.

IMO it is too early to predict what is going to happen 50 games and months from now. Both teams are loaded and playing well right now. But for today, clips are playing better overall. Lakers have the ability to improve ...when they want to. Just a dangerous game to continue to play with coasting or settling some nights. Habits are important, both good and bad. Can’t say I like some of the habits the Lakers are choosing some nights.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject:

The team with the "Clippers" mentality of last year if you were looking for one may be the Brooklyn Nets.

The Clippers are playing with an edge, a chip on their shoulder and focused. That is why they got Ty Lue to coach them, because he can get that out of a team.

The Lakers are playing in cruise control, and playing the waiting game for LeBron to engage himself(consistently) and AD to engage himself(consistently) and neither to coast.

But even last season there were coasting games that frustrated us all, but when the lights were on in the Playoffs we dominated for the most part.

This year we have an all around better roster so it's upon Vogel to get us ready, and LeBron and AD to be there when it counts.

The Clippers on the other hand are playing for a chip instead of assuming they've already won it. So again, our biggest challenge in the West will likely be the Clippers. The Jazz are where they are, but they really still just have Donovan Mitchell and in the Playoffs they'll need much more than that to get past the Lakers or Clippers.

In the East it will come down to the Celtics and the Nets. I'll add Miami in there too if they land Beal. The Bucks are going to fall for the same reason they always do, it's Giannis with a bunch of B-C+ list role players and not one second star.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 287, 288, 289 ... 437, 438, 439  Next
Page 288 of 439
Jump to: