OFFICIAL Kentavious Caldwell-Pope Thread (Resigned for 3 Years, $40 Million)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 172, 173, 174 ... 180, 181, 182  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Wonderful start to the season for KCP.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/lakers/status/1353083047650844672?s=21

Beautiful.
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject:

I got my money on this guy in the 3-point contest come All-Star Weekend in Indy...

anti-jinx

Kiss my Converse.
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:52 pm    Post subject:

Awesome
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:48 am    Post subject:

KC3 KC3 KC3
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:04 am    Post subject:

I will keep harping my assessment, because it always rings true. On any given NBA team; when that team is playing a playoffs caliber team, at least 3 of their top 4 highest paid players have to perform at least average. On the Lakers, KCP is in that category.

If you notice, when he plays decent or higher, the Lakers win. When he plays subpar, the Lakers lose. With all the talk about AD and Lebron, even when they don't play effective, they still bring good numbers. The actual key to Laker success is KCP. I don't know why it's like that, but it is.

KCP frustrates me. Scoring big one game, and the next, you get nothing from him. Then, he plays well again, and next game after than, he gives you 4 points. Why this man can't be at least midlevel in his proficiency I don't understand.

Even though he hit a critical 3 pointer late in the 76er loss, I squarely blame him for that defeat. When you are in the top 4 strata of highest paid players on your team, you can't have nights off. You can't always have superstar nights, but you have to bring something. KCP, when he's off, brings us NOTHING.

I'm sure he'll have a big game coming up soon, but as good as he'll be, I can expect him to follow up with another 1-3 shooting night. I'd almost rather him not have huge games every now and then and just play average most of the time.

Very disappointed with KCP.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject:

KCP is not a star. If he were able to shoot high FGA and score 15 each game, he would be paid like one. He is not Middleton, level. He is a role player, and those guys tend to have 1-3 nights, if shots are not available for them.

That said, yesterday we just got very few open looks, and I think you credit the Sixers defense. But it is also Bron. Bron is playing a bit too much in scoring mode. Without Rondo, Bron has to be our PG, as when he does not set the table up on offense, he may individually do great, but role players around him and AD getting good looks decreases.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
KCP is not a star. If he were able to shoot high FGA and score 15 each game, he would be paid like one. He is not Middleton, level. He is a role player, and those guys tend to have 1-3 nights, if shots are not available for them.

That said, yesterday we just got very few open looks, and I think you credit the Sixers defense. But it is also Bron. Bron is playing a bit too much in scoring mode. Without Rondo, Bron has to be our PG, as when he does not set the table up on offense, he may individually do great, but role players around him and AD getting good looks decreases.

I do agree that Lebron is holding the ball too much. But KCP's "role" is to hit shots and play competent defense, and he's doing neither (other than that big game recently).

It doesn't matter if KCP is a star player or a role player, he has to contribute. If team resources (read salary) is absorbed by him at a high rate, then he has to produce to compensate for what we are missing in signing other players. Therein lies my point about a team's highest paid players. They take up salary against the cap, and the more salary they take up, the less opportunity a team has to sign other players. As such, the highest paid players MUST contribute.

And no, KCP cannot be expected to have 1-3 games, as you say. THT can have 1-3 games. Kieff can have 1-3 games. But players that are at the mid-level in annual salary (eg KCP, Kuzma) cannot be expected to or allowed to have 1-3 games. If they have them, then they need to be called out.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject:

KCP is a designated spot up shooter, cutter, getting open on the wings. He is not a shot creator. When only 3-5 chances are available, those are the ones he would take, Maybe he can run up quicker or cut more but again, that requires Bron or a PG to get him the ball in those moments.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

KCP isn't a creator, never was and never will be. He has to be setup, either for the catch-and-shoot or on the break. The fact that he only got 3 shots in 27 minutes speaks far, far more about Philly's defense/our offense than about KCP.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject:

Then you figure it out. Not buying these excuses. You sign a $40 million contract and you start for the LA Lakers, you have to bring more than 1-3 shooting. THT and AC get a fraction of what KCP makes and they each scored more than Kuzma and KCP COMBINED!

Stop making excuses.
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject:

No one love lost game but let be generous to our players
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
Then you figure it out. Not buying these excuses. You sign a $40 million contract and you start for the LA Lakers, you have to bring more than 1-3 shooting. THT and AC get a fraction of what KCP makes and they each scored more than Kuzma and KCP COMBINED!

Stop making excuses.

Recognizing him for who he is is not an excuse, it's on you for expecting him to be someone he's never been.
I say it again, tell me why/how he got only 3 shots? Did you see him pass up good shots? Did you see him not move on offense/hang around be lazy? Did you see him not play defense?
Without an offense that creates looks/shots for him - he can't really do his primary job as a shooter. By no means was last night a good game for him - but his lack of shots wasn't just on him.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject:

KCP nailed that clutch three... that's all you can ask from him... I agree that it's not his fault if no one creates any shots for him. He's a role player who is currently shooting at an eFG of 67%. Caruso is shooting 61.5%

Meanwhile Schroder is jacking up shots at double or triple the volume but only at 46%.

Maybe Schroder should work on his playmaking instead of shooting at such a mediocre rate.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
KCP nailed that clutch three... that's all you can ask from him... I agree that it's not his fault if no one creates any shots for him. He's a role player who is currently shooting at an eFG of 67%. Caruso is shooting 61.5%

Meanwhile Schroder is jacking up shots at double or triple the volume but only at 46%.

Maybe Schroder should work on his playmaking instead of shooting at such a mediocre rate.

You do realize that Dennis was one of the reasons the team came back in the 2nd half? He scored all of his 16 points came in the 3rd/4th Q when the Lakers stormed back?

KCP is prone to disappearing after he misses a few of his shots. He's a very streaky shooter. When he hits his 1st 3, his confidence seems to be at its highest. I've noticed when he misses his first few 3s, it's game over for the rest of the night for him. Philly did a good job staying on our shooters so they did not have wide open looks.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

You do realize that Dennis was one of the reasons the team came back in the 2nd half? He scored all of his 16 points came in the 3rd/4th Q when the Lakers stormed back?

KCP is prone to disappearing after he misses a few of his shots. He's a very streaky shooter. When he hits his 1st 3, his confidence seems to be at its highest. I've noticed when he misses his first few 3s, it's game over for the rest of the night for him. Philly did a good job staying on our shooters so they did not have wide open looks.

I don't hate Dennis... I just don't want us to tie ourselves to a large contract with him. Someone else on the board pointed out the how he was like Ramon Sessions. At first I thought that was an absurd comparison, and then when I looked up the numbers they were remarkably similar.

Philly reminded me of us when we had those teams where some random small guard like JJ Barea would kill us. They don't have the ability to stop small quick guards so Dennis exploited that. He's a tough, hardworking player who just isn't very good. It's not like he will become great... this is what he is... a solid 6th man type player but he will never be an elite playmaker or a highly efficient scorer. Maybe that might work playing along side Kobe, but not as the #1 guard on the team.

If we get him for cheap... sure. But even 15 to 16 million like some of you are suggesting seems high for someone who ranks among the bottom starting guards in scoring efficiency.

I like the guy... but I just don't want us to overpay for him.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject:

Well, Lakers reportedly offered him the most they could on an extension for 2 years, so clearly they disagree. Should be interesting to see if they will offer him a longer extension in a few weeks.
ZeroDark30_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject:

Fair or not, he played a huge part in this L. Missed an easy layup that would have stretched out lead, causes an And-1 flagrant and the Pistons never looked back.
Honorable mention to our genius coach who didn’t identify the momentum play and shift and rested LeBron. I mean that’s textbook. Have to keep Bron in there
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject:

What’s happened to him? Really killing us out there the past few games.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
What’s happened to him? Really killing us out there the past few games.

He always has a patch
RashardA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject:

KCP is MIA
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject:

After starting last season the way that he did and then bouncing back to have a great year, I think this guy deserves the benefit of the doubt .
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject:

KCP may be down but he's far from done, KCP will bounce back.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:33 am    Post subject:

kinda remind me of how ray allen played
LeftCoast7
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject:

Love me some big hair KCP
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 172, 173, 174 ... 180, 181, 182  Next
Page 173 of 182
Jump to: