Slow Starts, On/Off Switch, and Bad Habits
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clark Kent
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:52 pm    Post subject: Slow Starts, On/Off Switch, and Bad Habits

In 10 games, Lakers have started slow on 7 of them including 5 straight including tonight. It’s developing into a real bad habit being down double digits and trying to play catch up in the 2nd half with the mythical On/Off switch.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:38 am    Post subject:

Our record is inflated a bit because we have played mostly bad teams. We will see what they are made of when we start playing better teams. It has been uninspiring ball so far this season.
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:15 am    Post subject:

I thought this thread was about Lebron jacking up that trey from the logo at the end of the game.
Clark Kent
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject:

Bad habits.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:00 pm    Post subject:

Friday game against Memphis has that Lakers slow start feeling
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:05 pm    Post subject:

The biggest concern is that our weaknesses are on full display night after night against bad teams. The elite teams will use what these bad teams are doing effectively against us (like driving into the lane and scoring at will), and it won't look pretty.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:08 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
The biggest concern is that our weaknesses are on full display night after night against bad teams. The elite teams will use what these bad teams are doing effectively against us (like driving into the lane and scoring at will), and it won't look pretty.

I think the key here is the better teams will finish better with better talent. Obviously the Lakers are likely to show up, but man that interior defense is really the soft, exploitable weakness of this team.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject:

We've looked pretty good in most games against the best teams though. They're clearly bored and turning the switch on and off. It's dangerous, sure but we're still piling up the wins more then anyone else in the NBA outside of the Jazz. I'll take it this early in the season.

Last edited by hype on Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:18 pm    Post subject:

Just get healthy and I like our chances. Not worried.
dcastillo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:

Honestly I feel like every home game is a slow start. We’ve rarely started off hot at home. It’s on the road that these guys get up for
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:00 am    Post subject:

Nah, just relax. They are worst than this in the bubble before the playoffs and most of here became anxious that they wont even get pass the hot Blazers. That's how they look bad before the playoffs.

But they destroyed teams in the playoffs. This guys are a different breed in the playoffs.
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:05 am    Post subject:

hype wrote:
We've looked pretty good in most games against the best teams though. They're clearly bored and turning the switch on and off. It's dangerous, sure but we're still piling up the wins more then anyone else in the NBA outside of the Jazz. I'll take it this early in the season.

Lebron is more aggressive vs top teams, he's taken less jumpshots. Look at when they played the Nuggets.

Seems like Lebron is practicing to beat bottom tier teams with just jumpshots, which ia working anyway. He attempted 26 3s in last 3 games vs Pistons and Thunder. He shot poorly though (6/26) but made those 3s when they need them the most.
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:06 am    Post subject:

hype wrote:

Lebron is more aggressive vs top teams, he's taken less jumpshots. Look at when they played the Nuggets.

Seems like Lebron is practicing to beat bottom tier teams with just jumpshots, which ia working anyway. He attempted 26 3s in last 3 games vs Pistons and Thunder. He shot poorly though (6/26) but made those 3s when they need them the most.
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:09 am    Post subject:

One thing positive about this close games is that we learned that most of the Lakers players are not afraid to take big time shots. Even Markieff and Matthews who didnt play for many games. And yes if THT will given a chance to take that shot, I dont doubt that he will take it too with confidence.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:

Damn it.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject:

About these slow starts.

Should the Lakers consider an alternative like starting Harrell. He is shooting 65 fg percentage and his defense is better than we thought.

I been patient with Gasol but perhaps he isn’t as good as he used to be. I saw Gasol guarded by a smaller man in some instances tonight. That should never happen. Teams can’t get away guarding Harrell by a smaller man
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject:

Clark Kent wrote:
Slow Starts, On/Off Switch, and Bad Habits

Glad we're winning, but I hope we get over these slow starts and relying on the "switch" sooner rather than later.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:19 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/d_portillo_0/status/1360470635936272386?s=21

LBJ knows.
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:37 am    Post subject:

I think they should start Caruso to establish their defense at the start of the game.
windycitycane
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:16 am    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
About these slow starts.

Should the Lakers consider an alternative like starting Harrell. He is shooting 65 fg percentage and his defense is better than we thought.

I been patient with Gasol but perhaps he isn’t as good as he used to be. I saw Gasol guarded by a smaller man in some instances tonight. That should never happen. Teams can’t get away guarding Harrell by a smaller man

Gasol has been awful. His +\- for February must be approaching 100. He's been something like 2/15 before he hit a couple of 3s last night. He just needs to sit and Vogel needs to figure something out.

I will say he played better last night.

Start Trez or Move AD to the 5 and get our rotations solidified for the playoffs.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject:

There will be rotation and lineup changes by playoffs. As well as role. No way Bron plays playoff games the way he is now, sitting back and allowing role players to run the offense to start games, while he practices being Steph Curry.

He gets into take over mode as the floor general in the playoffs. AD, will up his aggression on D ten fold. The Lakers are just buying time. I am glad they are finding ways to win.

That said, agreed on bad habits. But, those habits can change with lineups and rotation changes. Bron is playing a lot less on the ball this year, and AD is not being the defensive leader he was last year. Both are playing well, but not fully like it is in the playoffs. It is load managing, while actually playing. If we do this in May when the playoffs begin, I am super worried. However when both players get into their roles properly, and we put out the right role players around them we dominate. That is all I need to know for now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject:

Look at KCP's numbers when we start slowly. Not sure if it's a cause, an effect or just incidental, but when he starts hot, we generally steamroll teams.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject:

In general, the issue is less about "Lakers" slow starts and more of "Laker starting unit" slow starts.

I mean, look at the stats from last night's win over the Grizz... our starters barely got back to around zero +/- (give or take) by the end of the game. However, our bench squad, except for THT, was off the charts in effectiveness all game.

Trezz, Kuz, Wes and Caruso don't deserved to be lumped into the same conversation about Laker switch-flipping problems as some of our starters when we start off being down 2 to 22 to Memphis. Yes, KCP, Dennis and Gasol were terrible to start that game (and others), but even Lebron and AD deserve criticism with all the awful turnovers they made in the first quarter (as well as AD's donut in the scoring column starting 0-5).

So to me, it's more of the starters stepping up their game than anything else.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject:

There is 2 things. Our starting backcourt has 0 contribution this last games. The other is having 2 champion superstars. In the post game, DFish pointed he lived what is it that about.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject:

Besides the abysmal first quarters our perimeter shooting has hit the skids since the first 15 or so games. So now every game regardless of the quality of opponent has come down to the wire. Not many easy wins since the Houston games with Harden quitting/wanting out.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: