Slow Starts, On/Off Switch, and Bad Habits
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
Besides the abysmal first quarters our perimeter shooting has hit the skids since the first 15 or so games. So now every game regardless of the quality of opponent has come down to the wire. Not many easy wins since the Houston games with Harden quitting)wanting out.

It’s a combination of 3 things imo:

1. Overall team shooting slump
2. Lack of interior defense that keeps inferior opponents in the game
3. Constant slow starts
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:
Besides the abysmal first quarters our perimeter shooting has hit the skids since the first 15 or so games. So now every game regardless of the quality of opponent has come down to the wire. Not many easy wins since the Houston games with Harden quitting)wanting out.

It’s a combination of 3 things imo:

1. Overall team shooting slump
2. Lack of interior defense that keeps inferior opponents in the game
3. Constant slow starts

On those points, I recall last season's issues being quite similar with all hell occuring re: the starting 5 until AC would quicky sub in and right the ship. Our perimeter shooting really never got on track either.

Obviously, interior defense was never really an issue bubble or pre-bubble (miss ya Jawight ).
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject:

I mean how many bad habits can you really have when you have the second best record in the league?

Just feel like a team that knows when it hits Apex it’s not able to beaten. Throw in a short offseason - we’re not going to see them round into proper form until April.

Personally, I think these past 10 games have been good from the team as they are solving for how to play when down. How to play when shooting isn’t falling. They are being tested and it’s only in our benefit.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:02 am    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
I mean how many bad habits can you really have when you have the second best record in the league?

Just feel like a team that knows when it hits Apex it’s not able to beaten. Throw in a short offseason - we’re not going to see them round into proper form until April.

Personally, I think these past 10 games have been good from the team as they are solving for how to play when down. How to play when shooting isn’t falling. They are being tested and it’s only in our benefit.

Yep, this close games are helping them to have their identity during this kind of games. Now they know who are the players to count on in this situation. And we saw that almost all of the players are not afraid to take the shot during it. And the player knew now (specially the new ones) that they just need to be ready because there is a big chance that they will take crucial shots.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject:

Do they just not take the lesser teams seriously? Figuring they can flip a switch at any time and zoom past them?

Let's hope they take the Jazz seriously on Feb 24....!
_#1_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Do they just not take the lesser teams seriously? Figuring they can flip a switch at any time and zoom past them?

Let's hope they take the Jazz seriously on Feb 24....!

I'd add the Nets too that list.
windycitycane
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject:

Might not be a ‘on/off’ switch after all. Maybe we just are not what we are on paper and do need overtime to beat bottom feeders.

With no AD and our schedule coming up, it will be interesting.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Our slow starts have to be mostly a mental thing, right?

The past two games we haven't gotten off to a slow start, so maybe they're starting to overcome it.

It seems like offense is a bigger reason than defense for our slow starts. Not saying our defense has been flawless, but if we just hit from downtown and push the pace aggressively to start games, we should be fine in the long run.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: