This could be a blessing in disguise
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: This could be a blessing in disguise

Remember last season when we learned that Rondo will be out for many games and AB will skip the bubble.

It turned out to be a blessing in disguise as AC got more playing time and became a big factor to the Lakers winning a ring.

I think AD resting his njury now, might be a blessing in disguise in a long run.

We know that Kuzma is starting to find his game, he will get more touches now.

Also Harrell, will have the opportunity to show more on what he can do in the offensive end.

DS and THT will not need to find AD in the post first before thinking to attack, right now they have more chance on attacking the basket immediately.

Lakers has the opportunity to play as a team now and not just rely on AD and Bron.

Lakers though need to have a backup C as I dont think Harrell can guard bigger centers.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject:

We really, really need another big.
windycitycane
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: This could be a blessing in disguise

leking006 wrote:
Remember last season when we learned that Rondo will be out for many games and AB will skip the bubble.

It turned out to be a blessing in disguise as AC got more playing time and became a big factor to the Lakers winning a ring.

I think AD resting his njury now, might be a blessing in disguise in a long run.

Also Harrell, will have the opportunity to show more on what he can do in the offensive end.

DS and THT will not need to find AD in the post first before thinking to attack, right now they have more chance on attacking the basket immediately.

Lakers has the opportunity to play as a team now and not just rely on AD and Bron.

Lakers though need to have a backup C as I dont think Harrell can guard bigger centers.

Give more minutes to tht and ac. Reduce gasols minutes.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: This could be a blessing in disguise

windycitycane wrote:
leking006 wrote:

Whether you like it or not, gasol’s minutes are only going up, especially if we play a team with a tall center.
krisobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Start Harrell. Give KUZMA and MORRIS 30-32+ minutes each.
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: This could be a blessing in disguise

mad55557777 wrote:
windycitycane wrote:
leking006 wrote:

Whether you like it or not, gasol’s minutes are only going up, especially if we play a team with a tall center.

If Gasol ninutes will be reduced, who will play the C? Harrell , Morris and Bron? I dont think that's a better solution. I really think that Gasol minutes might actually increase now until they find a backup C.
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject:

krisobe wrote:
Start Harrell. Give KUZMA and MORRIS 30-32+ minutes each.

Harrell at C is not a great idea, specially without AD. Just imagine a frontcourt of Harrell and Kuzma. Good luck for their rim protection. If with Gasol and AD, the rim protection is already bad, what more with this two against the opponents starters. Harrell and Kuz frontcourt may work against opponents bench lineup, but I dont think it might work agains opponents starting 5.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Rondo being out is not like AD being out. We were deep at guards last season and we're still deep at guards this season. We could lose two guards and we would still be ok. Also, last season we were deep at the 5 so we still were able to compete even without AD.

I agree it's a "blessing" in disguise to have AD out and rested but it still doesn't solve our problem of lacking another rim protector so even if AD came back fresh for the playoffs, we still might not win it all this year.
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Rondo being out is not like AD being out. We were deep at guards last season and we're still deep at guards this season. We could lose two guards and we would still be ok. Also, last season we were deep at the 5 so we still were able to compete even without AD.

I agree it's a "blessing" in disguise to have AD out and rested but it still doesn't solve our problem of lacking another rim protector so even if AD came back fresh for the playoffs, we still might not win it all this year.

Thats why i said they need a backup C. If this force the Lakers to find a backup C then it's definitely a blessing in disguise.
Doc JC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject:

The current issue is how we have been starting games. I wouldn’t be opposed to see Harrell starting vs smaller teams at C.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject:

No, it is not a blessing in disguise or in any other form that our second best player, and the guy we intend to build around in the post-Lebron era, has calf/Achilles issues. No way, no how. This is bad. If we're lucky, this will just be a blip and not a catastrophe.

If you want to say that this is an opportunity for other players to show what they can do, fine. But it also means that we're putting even more of the load on Lebron for the next couple months, and that is not something we wanted to do.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject:

None would matter unless we fix our 3 ball... We're about to play some pretty good offensive teams.
Lakeshow323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject:

A potential time bomb in ADs achilles is anything but a blessing in disguise. Stop.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:46 pm    Post subject:

It's not a blessing for Rob. He's been exposed.

I've said it since day one, Mr. Rob Pelinka seriously f'd up by not retaining one, or some, combination of Javele McGee, Dwight Howard, and/or Boogie Cousins. He also struck out by not signing Serge Ibaka.

He messed around and ended up taking a bargain basement leftover in Marc Gasol. Gasol is like that old, funky shirt you see hanging up on the "Reduced" rack in Walmart. It's cheap, you can wear it, but only as a last resort.

We are now dealing with that last resort. Stop all this foolish talk about our defensive stats and whatnot. Every objective fan of the NBA who has eyes and have watched the Laker games knows that Marc Gasol does not have the skillset to perform the duties of a NBA center at a respectful level. His contribution is limited to using his girth to set screens and his knowledge of the game to making great passes. While those things are nice, they are best limited to a backup role, perhaps even a 3rd string role. Not starter. And if you don't know that, you don't know basketball.

Marc Gasol should have NEVER been allowed to start for this LA Lakers team. Without AD to cover for all the things Gasol can't do, we now have to rely on our power forwards to do the job of a legit center.

I saw this coming. Rob messed up badly. Lets hope he can fix this mess he made.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject:

leking006 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Thats why i said they need a backup C. If this force the Lakers to find a backup C then it's definitely a blessing in disguise.

They needed a good backup C before the AD injury anyways. Harrell is only good when the opposing team doesn't have an elite C. If they do have one, we ended up having AD guard him or we would have trouble guarding him.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Serge Ibaka was never coming here. Kawhi and Ibaka were playing the same game Kawhi did last FA period.

Pelinka was smart to see it and not fall for it this time. In fact, he screwed over the clippers when signing Harrell. They wanted to sign and trade Harrell for a PG like Rozier (Harrell was rumored to be in Charlotte right before he signed with the lakers).
SGVL1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

Cc: Rob Pelinka
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject:

This injury could (should) increase Pelinka's urgency to acquire a serviceable, athletic C, just as Andrew Bynum's injury in 2008 spurred Mitch Kupchak to trade for Pau Gasol.

But it could also be a blessing in disguise in terms of guys like THT, Schroder, Trez, KCP and others playing better. Our 3-piint shooting really sucks right now, and we need to play at a faster pace. Without AD being that security blanket when the game slows down, maybe others will become more aggressive, and when AD comes back they'll be better off as a result.

Let's face it, if it weren't for an injury to Drew Bledsoe, maybe we would've never heard of Tom Brady, or maybe he would've been just another good QB. That's the kind of window injuries can open up.

Last edited by slavavov on Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
This injury could (should) increase Pelinka's urgency to acquire a serviceable, athletic C, just as Andrew Bynum's injury in 2008 spurred Mitch Kupchak to trade for Pau Gasol.

But it could also be a blessing in disguise in terms of guys like THT, Schroder, Trez, KCP and others playing better. Our 3-piint shooting really sucks right now, and we need to play at a faster pace. Without AD being that security blanket when the game slows down, maybe others will become more aggressive, and when AD comes back they'll be better off as a result.

Let's face it, if it weren't for an injury to Drew Bledsoe, maybe we would've never heard of Tom Brady, or maybe he would've been just about good QB. That's the kind of window injuries can open up.

I agree. We're going to have to lean into our speed quite a bit.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

This.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject:

I'm probably, and severely, in the minority, but: DS ups and downs to me make just say, yea, he can create his own shot by his quickness and ability to drive, but otherwise does not appear to bring anything else better than the other guards (he certainly does not appear to be even average in creating shots for others). DS is a guy who makes 15 mil a year, and wants more, if I were GM (and for many of you, lucky I'm not), I would seriously consider a deal with him going somewhere for a solid big assuming there was interest. In many ways he'd be almost a perfect candidate (with this being the final season of his contract) for, say, Drummond - except for the fact Drummond almost makes 2x as much.

AC can slot in as the starter under such a scenario, and provide as good or better D, frankly slightly better passing, more movement, and yes he can do the obligatory "bring up the ball" instead of LBJ.

Yep, I've gone there. Flame away!
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
I'm probably, and severely, in the minority, but: DS ups and downs to me make just say, yea, he can create his own shot by his quickness and ability to drive, but otherwise does not appear to bring anything else better than the other guards (he certainly does not appear to be even average in creating shots for others). DS is a guy who makes 15 mil a year, and wants more, if I were GM (and for many of you, lucky I'm not), I would seriously consider a deal with him going somewhere for a solid big assuming there was interest. In many ways he'd be almost a perfect candidate (with this being the final season of his contract) for, say, Drummond - except for the fact Drummond almost makes 2x as much.

AC can slot in as the starter under such a scenario, and provide as good or better D, frankly slightly better passing, more movement, and yes he can do the obligatory "bring up the ball" instead of LBJ.

Yep, I've gone there. Flame away!

DS will be much more useful in the playoffs than Drummond. This is the small ball Ira. You need guards. Drummond probably stays on the bench in the playoffs.
Also unless you want to add KCP or Trezz, none of this works.

Don’t be fooled by drummonds number, he is a terrible pick and roll defender.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:20 am    Post subject:

It can help our 2nd unit execution. Now. offense is gonna have to go through Trez, and with no AD, Frank will rely more on speed over size.

Starters, likely we see Kieff in for AD. Sometimes maybe a 3nD wing, and slide Bron over to the 4.

We will suffer on D, but if we focus on our 2nd unit offense, we can actually make some improvements, especially with regards to the Trez-Dennis impact on the game.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:43 am    Post subject:

24ppg... Kuz and THT time, bet
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject:

The blessing is that AD will be back in 2-3 weeks, given proper rest and attention to the injury!

I think it's also part of the Blessing that the Team Dr's. catch it sooner that later and hopefully can get it right prior to the playoffs. Lebron said it best, take all the time he needs.

With that being said and in relation to the title of the thread, I also agree that the 'Next-Man-Up' will have to perform and get their game right in order for the team to continue to do well.

As a player this is where LeBron thrives, not so much on the court as well as off the court, because now the team has to be strategic and utilize their IQ to win games. The look on LBJ's face after that loss against Denver was a look of determination and knowing that for a while, he's got to go at it without AD.

Frank should make some changes to the rotation now and this would be my recommendation:

Starting Five:

Schroder - KCP - LBJ - Kuz - Trez

Bench:
THT - Caruso - Matthews - Morris - Gasol

IMO this is putting our best players on the floor firstly getting them more minutes and time to get better 'In-Game'. Although Trez is our 6th man, he's more than capable of playing a starter role temporarily and Kuzma has already proven this. This starting lineup has us smaller, but more agile and able to get up and down the floor and pickup the pace to the game. We should bode well defensively, however we're always vulnerable at the rim, nothing we can do about that.

Bringing Gasol off the bench, means he'll be playing against backup centers who maybe smaller and he should be more of a presence inside. It also means we have one more person who can pass and make plays.

IMO this is a temporary rotation switch until we have the ability to make it permanent.

The other 'Blessing' part is forcing management's hand to make some moves in Free Agency, Trade or Buyout market.

I'm not happy that AD went down, but him going down creates possibilities for this team to get better in every way. I believe we still have the means to win another championship this season and will do so!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: