Think We Need a Rim Protecting Big? (LAL rank 23rd in Defending Points in Paint)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject:

Dwight was a 2020-21 Laker on a cheap Vet min contract for all but 2 mins. Sigh.

In Rob we trust, but I think when Rob got word that Montrezl was signing, the thought of retaining Dwight didn’t feel as important to him. That wasn’t a good decision.

Not re-signing Boogie also for the cheap Vet min was another questionable decision. Boogie is averaging double the stats as Gasol, about 10/8 and even more assists too.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Dwight was a 2020-21 Laker on a cheap Vet min contract for all but 2 mins. Sigh.

In Rob we trust, but I think when Rob got word that Montrezl was signing, the thought of retaining Dwight didn’t feel as important to him. That wasn’t a good decision.

Not re-signing Boogie also for the cheap Vet min was another questionable decision. Boogie is averaging double the stats as Gasol, about 10/8 and even more assists too.

I think this was also on Dwight. In typical Dwight fashion, seems he got upset and made a hasty decision. Took less money, and a lesser role on a team b/c the Lakers didn't immediately sign him. I wish he had considered returning and I'm sure the team would have been open to it.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject:

Personally, I wanted DH back in the worse way. Along side AD, DH created a long, athletic, almost scary look for us. I realize the critics will say that he wasn't playable against certain teams, but that was the exception, not the norm.

My only consolation is that the Lakers didn't totally blow this. It was part DH, and part FO. The only way we'll know if both blew it is when the champion is crowned.

If one of these teams wins it all, the other party blew it.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

I think this was also on Dwight. In typical Dwight fashion, seems he got upset and made a hasty decision. Took less money, and a lesser role on a team b/c the Lakers didn't immediately sign him. I wish he had considered returning and I'm sure the team would have been open to it.

If Dwight was only looking for the minimum and we hesitated on offering that - I put the blame solely on us. Would have rather signed him first because I don’t think it would have had any effect on the Harrell signing given Rob’s relationship with Klutch.

Feels to me like corporate recruiting - you have an edge on hiring candidate’s if you’re first to offer.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

If Dwight was only looking for the minimum and we hesitated on offering that - I put the blame solely on us. Would have rather signed him first because I don’t think it would have had any effect on the Harrell signing given Rob’s relationship with Klutch.

Feels to me like corporate recruiting - you have an edge on hiring candidate’s if you’re first to offer.

I don't think we are seeing both sides here. Dwight came out and said he wanted to get paid more too, remember? So he may have been asking the Lakers for a pay bump (remember LG folks were worried he would get a full MLE this offseason).

Trezz has been very useful for this team, so I do not fault them for prioritizing a 6MOY winner over Dwight. But Dwight inexplicably took less money/role after saying he thought he should get paid more. That's classic Dwight for you. Could not abstain from making a dramatic move.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
This is the position you find yourself in when the constant sole priority is get/keep superstars 1 and 2, then sign their short term, and/or lowly compensated supporting cast. It can work now and then, but it's not a sustainable model for maintaining a quality squad.
So here we are. They didn't value JR, Zubac, Lopez, Bryant, Wagner, or Mcgee because (McGee excepted) they had to give all the money to stars. The gamble paid off in year 1, but now they wish they had access to at least 5 of those guys. They may possibly find Kostas eating major minutes as they lie in the bed they've made. I'm not thrilled with the strategy or lack of foresight. At the very least, some of those guys could have brought back assets that could have been useful in the AD trade, or to negotiate some future need.

Our supporting cast isn't "lowly" compensated.

Kuz is going to be paid in the 11-13m/year range.
KCP is in the 13m/year range.
Dennis is in the 17m/year range.
Trez is getting the full MLE.

...”short term”.......”and / or”.....”lowly compensated.”

40% of your starting lineup has a 1 year contract. The 3 rotation guards off the bench have 1 year contracts, as do 50% of your reserve forwards. 6 of 11 players you rely on in the rotation have 1 year contracts and potentially may not be here next year. Harrell has a 2 year contract.

Last edited by lakersboy on Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
This is the position you find yourself in when the constant sole priority is get/keep superstars 1 and 2, then sign their short term, and/or lowly compensated supporting cast. It can work now and then, but it's not a sustainable model for maintaining a quality squad.
So here we are. They didn't value JR, Zubac, Lopez, Bryant, Wagner, or Mcgee because (McGee excepted) they had to give all the money to stars. The gamble paid off in year 1, but now they wish they had access to at least 5 of those guys. They may possibly find Kostas eating major minutes as they lie in the bed they've made. I'm not thrilled with the strategy or lack of foresight. At the very least, some of those guys could have brought back assets that could have been useful in the AD trade, or to negotiate some future need.

40% of your starting lineup has a 1 year contract. The 3 rotation guards off the bench have 1 year contracts, as do 50% of your reserve forwards. 6 of 11 players you rely on in the rotation have 1 year contracts and potentially may not be here next year.

KCP is on a multi-year deal. So is Kuz, and Dennis is likely going to be extended.

I don't understand your criticism. You would rather have a 3rd superstar, thereby depleting our depth even more? Look at the rosters around the league. Most teams are constructed with half or so of the deals expiring. It's just how teams are built. THT is also a RFA so we will likely keep him.

So you're talking about Trez (player option) and AC (who may want to stay on LA).
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject:

i like it!

that's actually a good deal for philly. wes is technically "better" than dwight, and they get a second. and don't philly fans hate danny? now they have a danny 2.0 if needed.

sure, philly would be helping a team they might meet in the finals, but that is an offer that might help them too.

unleasHell wrote:
Mathews + Future 2nd pick for D. Howard
lurklurk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject:

Id rather gamble on dedmon than trade for dwight. Dedmon is essentially ibaka-lite.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
lakersboy wrote:

40% of your starting lineup has a 1 year contract. The 3 rotation guards off the bench have 1 year contracts, as do 50% of your reserve forwards. 6 of 11 players you rely on in the rotation have 1 year contracts and potentially may not be here next year.

KCP is on a multi-year deal. So is Kuz, and Dennis is likely going to be extended.

I don't understand your criticism. You would rather have a 3rd superstar, thereby depleting our depth even more? Look at the rosters around the league. Most teams are constructed with half or so of the deals expiring. It's just how teams are built. THT is also a RFA so we will likely keep him.

So you're talking about Trez (player option) and AC (who may want to stay on LA).

My criticism was clear and hasn’t changed.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject:

Are the Lakers FO really considering Mo Bamba?
In this article they refer to him as a reclamation project:
https://sircharlesincharge.com/2021/02/18/nba-trade-rumors-mo-bamba-lakers/

I don't think we'd have to give up too much in a trade for him, but I wouldn't package THT in a deal for him...

I don't know how to react to this rumor, although he is only 22. Knowing the culture of the kids these days it may not be worth the risk.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
lakersboy wrote:

It's not clear. That's what I'm saying.

We got 2 1st team all NBA players. But unlike other teams, we are able to put 2 6MOY role players and several young and affordable pieces (Kuz/KCP on multi-year deals) alongside them, plus a young talent with RFA status (THT). Not sure what the complaint is.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject:

Quote:
they didn't value JR, Zubac, Lopez, Bryant, Wagner, or Mcgee because (McGee

JR is making in the 20m+ range.

Zub/Lopez/Bryant all got extensions.

You'd rather have them over AD? LBJ?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject:

Thoughts on going after Cody Zeller? We all know Mitch is the Hornets GM so he might be willing to help us.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject:

Realistically another big would only play in the event of injury to Gasol. Yes this is nice insurance to have in this event.

As is Markieff who was an integral contributor to the championship was out of the rotation ~ 2 weeks ago. Yes I am biased towards him for 1-not going to the Clippers both last and this year and 2-his contributions towards a championship season. I actually feel the Lakers may not have won last year without him.

That being said I believe in the current state of the roster Kuzma should pick up an additional 10 mins/gm and Kieff 15-20. Trez should pickup any remaining of AD's mins.

As for a Big they should cut ties with Kostas as it does not appear he is anywhere ready to play. If Dedmon is a no go for whatever reason then pick up Omer Yurtseven and give him an audition. Well schooled undrafted college senior who is big, strong with enough skills that could play 10-12 minutes without being a negative. Kind of reminds me of Willy Hernangomez. If he doesn't work then move on to the next 2-way or sign another vet. Signing both Dedmon and Omer would be fine.

Speaking of Willy Hernangomez, I would not mind trading for him although that means dealing with the Pelicans. He is also in their rotation and I am not sure of their playoff aspirations.

Maybe not the best look cutting Kostas but AD's injury gives them an out to make this move. Can you trade him to the Bucks for one of their 2-way players?
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Thoughts on going after Cody Zeller? We all know Mitch is the Hornets GM so he might be willing to help us.

You need to consider $'s when proposing trades. Is there a realistic trade with his $15 mil salary?

Also why would Mitch help the Lakers after he was unceremoniously dumped?
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

You need to consider $'s when proposing trades. Is there a realistic trade with his $15 mil salary?

Also why would Mitch help the Lakers after he was unceremoniously dumped?

Exactly, you can't propose trades without doing the math. For example, folks bringing up Andre Drummond. You can't get Andre for a bag of potato chips, right? He is owed a lot of money. Therefore, the Lakers are NOT in the running for Andre. And Blake Griffin, also owed a lot of money, can't be bought for a bag of corn chips, needs to be bought out....
carjoch831
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:

Exactly, you can't propose trades without doing the math. For example, folks bringing up Andre Drummond. You can't get Andre for a bag of potato chips, right? He is owed a lot of money. Therefore, the Lakers are NOT in the running for Andre. And Blake Griffin, also owed a lot of money, can't be bought for a bag of corn chips, needs to be bought out....

I see both will be in the buyout market.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject:

carjoch831 wrote:
anth2000 wrote:

I see both will be in the buyout market.

I don't see Blake in the buyout market unless he wants to leave some serious cash on the table. Blake is owed $37 mill this year, $39 mill next year.

On the other hand, Drummond is owed $29 mill this year and UFA next year. He might be bought out.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

We got 2 1st team all NBA players. But unlike other teams, we are able to put 2 6MOY role players and several young and affordable pieces (Kuz/KCP on multi-year deals) alongside them, plus a young talent with RFA status (THT). Not sure what the complaint is.

I get what he's saying, though I've made peace with it. I didn't like stripping the roster and going all-in on Team Lebron. But it got us one ring, and it could get us another and maybe more. For the moment, we're relevant again. Yet the concern about sustainability is valid. When Team Lebron is finished with a team, there is wreckage left behind. Ask the Cavs about that.

But I've made peace with it. Jeanie and Magic (later Pelinka) were desperate for a quick turnaround, and so we became the latest team to make a Faustian bargain with Team Lebron. If we can squeeze another ring or two out of it, I'm prepared to accept the potential pain of the post-Lebron era. Who knows? Maybe Pelinka will turn out to be the great GM that some people imagine him to be, or maybe Team Lebron will be able to swing another deal for us.

Either way, Laker Nation wants rings, not a consistent, quality roster. That's just who we are. If we crash and burn in the post-Lebron era, we'll go to Home Depot and load up on torches and pitchforks. That's what we did with Mitch. I think that Jeanie and Pelinka understand this.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I get what he's saying, though I've made peace with it. I didn't like stripping the roster and going all-in on Team Lebron. But it got us one ring, and it could get us another and maybe more. For the moment, we're relevant again. Yet the concern about sustainability is valid. When Team Lebron is finished with a team, there is wreckage left behind. Ask the Cavs about that.

But I've made peace with it. Jeanie and Magic (later Pelinka) were desperate for a quick turnaround, and so we became the latest team to make a Faustian bargain with Team Lebron. If we can squeeze another ring or two out of it, I'm prepared to accept the potential pain of the post-Lebron era. Who knows? Maybe Pelinka will turn out to be the great GM that some people imagine him to be, or maybe Team Lebron will be able to swing another deal for us.

Either way, Laker Nation wants rings, not a consistent, quality roster. That's just who we are. If we crash and burn in the post-Lebron era, we'll go to Home Depot and load up on torches and pitchforks. That's what we did with Mitch. I think that Jeanie and Pelinka understand this.

The Nick Van Exel Lakers were fun but not championship material. Same with keeping a YUTES core. I’m pleased with the LBJ/AD and depth approach we are taking.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

The Nick Van Exel Lakers were fun but not championship material. Same with keeping a YUTES core. I’m pleased with the LBJ/AD and depth approach we are taking.

Yup, this is why the Lakers take home Championships instead of being a consistently solid team. They swing for the fences on Superstars which is absolutely the approach i'd hope they took considering it's a dream location for a lot of young Superstars especially. I totally get the "consistent decent approach" for small market teams since that's usually there best case scenario if they don't win the lottery with an all time great draft pick.

I get how the approach of look at teams after Lebron leaves but the Cavs didn't win there first Championship for nearly 50 years into there existence so there was a lotttttt of time before Lebron they won nothing and were pretty much an afterthought bottom feeder for much of those years. Look at us, we went from around a decade drought to NBA Champions again once we threw Lebron on the roster. He just simply wins, period. Like Brady in the NFL, you do anything and everything it takes to get a guy like him on your roster. Things get much easier to figure out organization wide once he's locked in with you.

Outside of BI, every other player we lost is extremely replaceable if we're being honest. I still root for all of them when I catch game on tv or look up scores but not for a second do I second guess the decision. You throw a Championship won last season and it's already paid for itself imo especially considering we're still right there as top contenders currently if AD enters the Playoffs healthy and ready to play.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject:

Kenny Jet Smith even saying Lakers need some rim protection
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
Kenny Jet Smith even saying Lakers need some rim protection

Even Stevie Wonder can see it.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Not going all in on Team Lebron gives you the "consistent, quality roster" that doesn't win rings. Forgive me but I don't understand this post.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 23 of 26
Jump to: