OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5720, 5721, 5722 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
carjoch831 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
what's Whiteside be doing with our offense? our offense is crap with a tired LBJ and no AD. we lost the last two games because of that. Bring on Cousins, we need him for the regular season to take load off LBJ and pace AD back into game shape. in today's league defense is overrated, rules simply are not there to play good individual defense. as long as you don't commit bone head defensive breakdowns you should be fine.

You lost me at "defense is overrated".

it is overrated. i'd love to see scottie pippen and michael cooper guarding the likes of duncan robinson and james harden when all they doing is baiting you to foul them beyond the 3 point line.

we won a ring with defense.Our early season dominance with a new team was because of defense. Harden like clockwork gets shut down in postseason because of defense.

we won the ring because officials will swallow their whistles in the playoffs. so the bad defense you're seeing now will become decent if not great.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject:

The Athletic on Cousins (paywall)

Quote:
It would be basketball malpractice to make bold claims off one play, or even a few, but the downside of the DeMarcus Cousins experience could be summed up in a particular second-quarter sequence against the New Orleans Pelicans on Feb. 9 — ironically the place where Cousins spent his final days as one of the NBA’s elite big men.

With about four minutes remaining until halftime, Cousins was matched up against Pelicans center Steven Adams around the basket. Adams had momentarily backed off from Cousins, essentially gifting him an uncontested layup. Four years ago, that would have been two points. Instead, at age 30 and after years of injuries, Cousins lacked the explosion or lift to convert it.

Then, on the next possession, Cousins found himself matched up against Pelicans guard Eric Bledsoe near the top of the key. Bledsoe seemed indecisive as he held the ball — until Cousins’ presence made the easy choice for him. Most, if not all, scouting reports would say to attack the big man in the half court, knowing he was the weak link in Houston’s surprisingly stingy defense, lacking the lateral quickness or footwork to keep up with ball handlers. Sure enough, he could only swipe at the ensuing dribble handoff before Josh Hart turned the corner and drove for one of the easiest dunks of his career, the flat-footed Cousins lagging helplessly behind. It was a simple play that at once exposed the Rockets’ lack of rim protection and big man depth, two areas that have suffered mightily since starting center Christian Wood injured his ankle on Feb. 4.

That, as much as anything, informs why Houston is planning to part ways with Cousins in the coming days, sources tell The Athletic’s Shams Charania.

bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
carjoch831 wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
So, for folks here, tell me a little about Whiteside.

Going back some years, I remember he was a hot commodity. Got a really good contract, from what I recall.

Has he had any major injuries?
Why the huge drop off in production, you think? Bad attitude? Lack of motivation? out of shape?

Just asking so I know what the deal is with him.

Bad attitude and lack of motivation. Only cares for his stats. Miami gave up on him...that tells it all.

So did a bunch of teams re: Dwight. I think we have the infrastructure and leadership to help him in a lesser role. In fact, give him a Dwight role (enforcer, rim protector, rebounder) in 12-14mpg and it may help us.

Haven't followed Whiteside in a long time, so don't know if Whiteside has a bad attitude but plays hard or has a bad attitude and is lazy.

Dwight seemed to have a reputation as self-centered and quirky, but I thought he always played hard.

The other thing with Dwight was he looking at the end of his career. Waived by the Grizzlies. Cleared waivers. The Lakers were pretty much it at that time. Woj says the Dwight was "humbled" after hitting "rock bottom." He was trying to change his reputation. Even then, it seemed like he was on a tight leash in terms of his behavior and attitude.

Then again, Lakers are in a different situation with fewer options now, so we probably don't need the second coming of Dwight.
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
what's Whiteside be doing with our offense? our offense is crap with a tired LBJ and no AD. we lost the last two games because of that. Bring on Cousins, we need him for the regular season to take load off LBJ and pace AD back into game shape. in today's league defense is overrated, rules simply are not there to play good individual defense. as long as you don't commit bone head defensive breakdowns you should be fine.

Whiteside brings the same vertical threat that DH and JaVale brought.

That’s important for a team that has Lebron. It opens things up for Lebron.

Whiteside is JaVale on steroids. He's a steal at his current price but I'm worried about who the Queens would be asking for in return.

But Pelinka runs a tight ship and we haven't had many leaks as of late so I think this could be misdirection to throw the Clips and Nets off our trail. He knows those teams can sign or trade for guys we're interested in just to keep em away from the Lakers.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject:

If Whiteside goes to the Nets that opens the door for us to grab Drummond
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject:

If ya'll people actually watched Whiteside you'd see why he's on the team he's on at the price he's on. He's not a "steal" he's precisely where he should be. The guy stops trying 9 times out of 10 and gives no consistent effort whatsoever.

The people overrating Whiteside haven't watched him play this season.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
carjoch831 wrote:
anth2000 wrote:

Going back some years, I remember he was a hot commodity. Got a really good contract, from what I recall.

Why the huge drop off in production, you think? Bad attitude? Lack of motivation? out of shape?

Bad attitude and lack of motivation. Only cares for his stats. Miami gave up on him...that tells it all.

Think a change of scenery and better players like Lebron around him could bring out something good?

No, he's the same in Sacramento. Doesn't give effort 90% of the time, gets constantly lost on defense, doesn't try to actually switch properly or contain. often lays off shooters on the pick and roll. Will often 'walk' on defense, won't give much effort whatsoever on the defensive end.

The guy can block the occasional shot and you look at the stat sheet and see 2 blocks and go "Oh he's a good defender!!" but then you watch how many people he lets waltz to the rim, and how little effort he gives on the defensive end and how little he actually cares you then completely understand why he's playing for the Kings on a vets min.

It's not a 'change of scenery' issue.. this has been his problem everywhere he's gone. It's why he's on the Kings with a minimum salary and not in Portland with a 3-4 year deal.

Put that on top of being a locker room and team problem.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject:

We are talking about guys making the minimum, bottom of the barrel sort of situation. Drummond has not been bought out. So it is what it is. But we still have a major big man hole on the bench.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

Yup! One less contender with assets to worry about. A Drummond, AD, Bron front court could be historically dominant.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
We are talking about guys making the minimum, bottom of the barrel sort of situation. Drummond has not been bought out. So it is what it is. But we still have a major big man hole on the bench.

Having the 6th man of the year at backup center averaging 18/7 off the bench at 61% since AD went down isn't enough?

And if the idea is "But we need defense!" Our team is one of the best defensive teams in the league. Whom is currently missing it's best defender at the 4 and the 1 in Davis and Schroeder. That can't be fixed with Caruso and Kuzma. So till they get back we won't be at our defensive best and one singular move wouldn't be significant enough to change that.

We don't have a weakness at backup center, we have the best backup center in the league.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
carjoch831 wrote:
anth2000 wrote:

Think a change of scenery and better players like Lebron around him could bring out something good?

No, he's the same in Sacramento. Doesn't give effort 90% of the time, gets constantly lost on defense, doesn't try to actually switch properly or contain. often lays off shooters on the pick and roll. Will often 'walk' on defense, won't give much effort whatsoever on the defensive end.

The guy can block the occasional shot and you look at the stat sheet and see 2 blocks and go "Oh he's a good defender!!" but then you watch how many people he lets waltz to the rim, and how little effort he gives on the defensive end and how little he actually cares you then completely understand why he's playing for the Kings on a vets min.

It's not a 'change of scenery' issue.. this has been his problem everywhere he's gone. It's why he's on the Kings with a minimum salary and not in Portland with a 3-4 year deal.

This sounds like some of the fears with Dwight pre D39 arrived. Not exactly identical situation but sometimes you have to bank on the culture, roster, and staff you have to bring the best out of a guy.

I don't care for Whiteside but if a deal for McKinnie could be had, you've lost nothing if you end up cutting him in the end.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Yup! One less contender with assets to worry about. A Drummond, AD, Bron front court could be historically dominant.

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Having the 6th man of the year at backup center averaging 18/7 off the bench at 61% since AD went down isn't enough?

And if the idea is "But we need defense!" Our team is one of the best defensive teams in the league. Whom is currently missing it's best defender at the 4 and the 1 in Davis and Schroeder. That can't be fixed with Caruso and Kuzma. So till they get back we won't be at our defensive best and one singular move wouldn't be significant enough to change that.

We don't have a weakness at backup center, we have the best backup center in the league.

Trez is not a center to me.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject:

3baller wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Whiteside is JaVale on steroids. He's a steal at his current price but I'm worried about who the Queens would be asking for in return.

But Pelinka runs a tight ship and we haven't had many leaks as of late so I think this could be misdirection to throw the Clips and Nets off our trail. He knows those teams can sign or trade for guys we're interested in just to keep em away from the Lakers.

I’m thinking the same. Whiteside has been a rumor since the shortened offseason. Imo it’s misdirection but we will find out. It’s pretty clear we need a rim protector badly.

And in terms of Trez, he’s a good producer and important points off the bench but he doesn’t fit Vogel’s defensive strategy and schemes. Don’t know what the answer is tbh.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
MJST wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

He won 6th man of the year playing backup center. Therefore he's not just a center, he's the best backup center in the league.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject:

Whiteside was pretty effective vs Dwight and Javelle in the bubble IIRC. I think Vogel could turn him into a defensive monster. Remember Roy Hibbert in Indy?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject:

Pretty obvious that the Kings are gonna ask for a premier asset if the Lakers end up engaging in trade talks for Whiteside, we might have to shift our focus to another target if the Kings play hard ball because of the past rivarly between both teams, maybe the Kings buy out Whiteside in which then you wouldn’t have to do much but hope Whiteside wants to come here when he’s bought out.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
Whiteside was pretty effective vs Dwight and Javelle in the bubble IIRC. I think Vogel could turn him into a defensive monster. Remember Roy Hibbert in Indy?

Javale and Dwight were the Lakers 5th-7th option offensively in the bubble and all season. Also, it's not know-how that's Whitesides problem.

It's giving a crap and giving actual effort. You can't fix laziness and Whiteside has no reason to want to. Portland didn't resign him and he is now on the Kings on a minimum contract. If he was ever going to show he 'cared' it would have been then. But he looks like the same ole Whiteside.

Whiteside hasn't given a care about the game of basketball since he bought his mom that house. That seemed to be his true motivation and since then he hasn't really cared, getting by only on the bare minimum for someone with his natural talents. Even then, you watch him play and see him disengaged on 9 of 10 plays you understand why he's on the Kings in the situation he's in.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

There's nothing wrong with adding a backup center on a vet minimum deal after he's been waived, but trading any asset for one is shortsighted stupidity.

Another defensive wing remains a much bigger priority for the games that really matter more than a regular season minutes eating backup center.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
MJST wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

He won 6th man of the year playing backup center. Therefore he's not just a center, he's the best backup center in the league.

He won 6th man of the year on a team that had a historically bad playoff elimination which was partly due to the Clippers lack off size and ability to matchup. Meanwhile, the team that Kobe called the biggest team he had seen in a long time and "old school big" went on to win the whole thing.

Trez would be a monster against bench 4's if there was a center next to him that could spread the floor a bit.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
MJST wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

There's nothing wrong with adding a backup center on a vet minimum deal after he's been waived, but trading any asset for one is shortsighted stupidity.

Another defensive wing remains a much bigger priority for the games that really matter more than a regular season minutes eating backup center.

Right. That is my preference too. But if it costs a future 2nd rounder I'm ok with it. Clearly you're not. That's fine too.
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
carjoch831 wrote:
anth2000 wrote:

A lot of what you said applies to Cousins as well who I believe you prefer. Except Cousins had an actual altercation with one of our players in-game recently and between Cousins and Whiteside, we all know who has a better chance of actually finishing the season.

Last edited by 3baller on Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
MJST wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
MJST wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

He won 6th man of the year on a team that had a historically bad playoff elimination which was partly due to the Clippers lack off size and ability to matchup. Meanwhile, the team that Kobe called the biggest team he had seen in a long time and "old school big" went on to win the whole thing.

Trez would be a monster against bench 4's if there was a center next to him that could spread the floor a bit.

KL scored 2pts in the second half of a game, PG was well... PG. Plus Doc is not a great adjustment coach. Look at his history of historic chokes.
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject:

Six-time NBA All-Star Pau Gasol returning to Spain to play for Barcelona

Quote:
"I'm happy to return to the club where I began, and I'm excited about this new opportunity: I hope to contribute to the first team very soon. I want to thank Barça and its technical staff for making it possible to join them," Gasol said in a statement.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30950969/pau-gasol-returning-spain-play-barcelona
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
3baller wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

I’m thinking the same. Whiteside has been a rumor since the shortened offseason. Imo it’s misdirection but we will find out. It’s pretty clear we need a rim protector badly.

And in terms of Trez, he’s a good producer and important points off the bench but he doesn’t fit Vogel’s defensive strategy and schemes. Don’t know what the answer is tbh.

You hit it right on the nose...people were afraid when we signed Dwight...Whiteside actually played well against us in the play-offs and hopefully he would be motivated with a play-off team and Bron and AD. Massive upgrade on Gasol defensively with shot blocking and having players change their shots....as far as Trezz sure he's a nice player but isn't the player defensively we need in the paint...he's too undersized. He's not like Williams III from Boston who's only 6'8 but actually plays like he's 6'11 with his defense.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5720, 5721, 5722 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 5721 of 8560
Jump to: