'Extremely remote' odds for Kidd deal

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KB8SD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: 'Extremely remote' odds for Kidd deal

From today's LA Times:

Quote:
For days, the rumor mill has been heating up with talk of the Lakers and New Jersey Nets point guard Jason Kidd.

On Tuesday, however, a source with knowledge of the situation said it was "extremely remote" that a trade would take place between the Lakers and Nets.

Kidd is a particular favorite of Nets owner Bruce Ratner and would not be traded unless he went to Ratner and asked to be moved — an unlikely scenario, said a source familiar with Kidd's thinking.

Kidd, who will be 34 next month, makes $18 million this season and $41 million over the next two seasons, a hefty investment. Another consideration: If the Lakers acquire him, they probably will have to pay luxury taxes the next two seasons. They have not paid the luxury tax since the 2004-05 season.

More than a month ago, the Nets made a round of phone calls during a losing streak to see if teams would be interested in some of their players, a source said. The Lakers, like many teams, wanted to talk about Kidd.

A source said the Lakers were unwilling to part with three players — Kobe Bryant, Lamar Odom and Andrew Bynum, which could also be a deal-killer.

Center Chris Mihm, who will be a free agent after the season, and center Kwame Brown, who has one season left on his contract, were believed to be two of the players mentioned in discussions. Rookie point guard Jordan Farmar has not been mentioned in talks.

Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak declined to comment about Kidd, as is his custom regarding players on other teams.

Kupchak recently said he wouldn't "tinker with the team" by adding a player that didn't know the triangle offense, but said he would continue working the phones to find ways to improve the team.

Kidd is vaguely familiar with the triangle offense, having run it under current Lakers assistant Jim Cleamons when he was with the Dallas Mavericks for the beginning of the 1996-97 season.

The trade deadline is Feb. 22. The Lakers haven't made a deadline deal since acquiring Glen Rice from Charlotte in 1999.

The Nets, for their part, are still a contender in the weak Atlantic Division and haven't officially decided if they should break up their team. Previous rounds of calls have been mainly to test the water.

Kidd is averaging 14.3 points, 8.7 assists and eight rebounds a game this season. He is averaging 36.6 minutes and shooting 43.2%, better than his career average of 40.4%.

Kidd had played every game this season before experiencing back pain that sidelined him this week.
GasolBynumKobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject:

Is that good?
DJ Qube
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:20 am    Post subject:

I'm so pissed about this string of losses right now, I'd be ready to blow up the roster.
jjangx27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: 'Extremely remote' odds for Kidd deal

KB8SD wrote:
From today's LA Times:

Quote:
For days, the rumor mill has been heating up with talk of the Lakers and New Jersey Nets point guard Jason Kidd.

On Tuesday, however, a source with knowledge of the situation said it was "extremely remote" that a trade would take place between the Lakers and Nets.

Kidd is a particular favorite of Nets owner Bruce Ratner and would not be traded unless he went to Ratner and asked to be moved — an unlikely scenario, said a source familiar with Kidd's thinking.

Kidd, who will be 34 next month, makes $18 million this season and $41 million over the next two seasons, a hefty investment. Another consideration: If the Lakers acquire him, they probably will have to pay luxury taxes the next two seasons. They have not paid the luxury tax since the 2004-05 season.

More than a month ago, the Nets made a round of phone calls during a losing streak to see if teams would be interested in some of their players, a source said. The Lakers, like many teams, wanted to talk about Kidd.

A source said the Lakers were unwilling to part with three players — Kobe Bryant, Lamar Odom and Andrew Bynum, which could also be a deal-killer.

Center Chris Mihm, who will be a free agent after the season, and center Kwame Brown, who has one season left on his contract, were believed to be two of the players mentioned in discussions. Rookie point guard Jordan Farmar has not been mentioned in talks.

Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak declined to comment about Kidd, as is his custom regarding players on other teams.

Kupchak recently said he wouldn't "tinker with the team" by adding a player that didn't know the triangle offense, but said he would continue working the phones to find ways to improve the team.

Kidd is vaguely familiar with the triangle offense, having run it under current Lakers assistant Jim Cleamons when he was with the Dallas Mavericks for the beginning of the 1996-97 season.

The trade deadline is Feb. 22. The Lakers haven't made a deadline deal since acquiring Glen Rice from Charlotte in 1999.

The Nets, for their part, are still a contender in the weak Atlantic Division and haven't officially decided if they should break up their team. Previous rounds of calls have been mainly to test the water.

Kidd is averaging 14.3 points, 8.7 assists and eight rebounds a game this season. He is averaging 36.6 minutes and shooting 43.2%, better than his career average of 40.4%.

Kidd had played every game this season before experiencing back pain that sidelined him this week.

well, we already know farmar has been in the trade talks, and that he's likely a major part of the package. this article's behind in terms of "verified" information. but it's prolly cuz they're the LA Times and can't write things that aren't absolute.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:09 am    Post subject:

DJ Qube wrote:
I'm so pissed about this string of losses right now, I'd be ready to blow up the roster.

Thank God you're not a Celtic fan. There'd be nothing left of the city but a couple of bowls of chowder.
Darkndeep
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: 'Extremely remote' odds for Kidd deal

jjangx27 wrote:
KB8SD wrote:
From today's LA Times:

Quote:

well, we already know farmar has been in the trade talks, and that he's likely a major part of the package. this article's behind in terms of "verified" information. but it's prolly cuz they're the LA Times and can't write things that aren't absolute.

We don't know anything: all we "know" is what we have from rumors and second-hand information. The LA Times is often slow, but seldom inaccurate--and I think it's usually slow because it takes time to verify at the right levels so it will be accurate.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject:

that is good because it means the lakers had the commons sense no to offer farmar.

now its a waiting game.

favorite player or not - its a bad business decision to keep kidd rather than do the rumored trade with la.
i think the nets will realize it - if they don't already (and are just playing hard to get).
jjangx27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: 'Extremely remote' odds for Kidd deal

Darkndeep wrote:
jjangx27 wrote:
KB8SD wrote:
From today's LA Times:

Quote:

We don't know anything: all we "know" is what we have from rumors and second-hand information. The LA Times is often slow, but seldom inaccurate--and I think it's usually slow because it takes time to verify at the right levels so it will be accurate.

yea, i agree with you on your point about the la times, and that what i tried to say in my post.

but regarding farmar, we pretty much know he was included in the deal. there have been reports, most notably eric's, that farmar is pretty much a fixture in the deal. new jersey wants cheap, young talent, and farmar is the main piece. if we can get kidd without giving up farmar, that'd be the ideal scenario, like it has been mentioned many times. hopefully nj bites, but right now, we pretty much know nj is expecting farmar if there is a deal for kidd.
jjangx27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
that is good because it means the lakers had the commons sense no to offer farmar.

now its a waiting game.

favorite player or not - its a bad business decision to keep kidd rather than do the rumored trade with la.
i think the nets will realize it - if they don't already (and are just playing hard to get).

the lakers did offer farmar. eric's stated that many times.
JP_Lakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject:

No Farmar in the deal!
Darkndeep
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject:

jjangx27--

I think Eric strives to be accurate, has generally reliable sources, and I trust his "undisclosed source" info as much as anyone's, but I think even Eric would agree that a lot of misinformation is put our there by even the best of sources (as a smokescreen, to bluff, because they themselves were fed misinformation, or for whatever reason). So, I do not doubt that Eric knows what he knows and has reported, or that the LA Times knows what it knows and has reported--but both are getting their information second-hand and anything could be the truth. Only those directly involved in the talks (if there are even talks) really know what's going on.

Maybe it's more that I'd prefer to think Farmar's not a potential part of the deal, lol. If the deal were Kwame, Mihm and some assortment of McKie, Shammond. Vlad-Rad, Smush and/or Sasha (and maybe ONE No. 1 pick) for Kidd (and hopefully one of their bigs), I would be a lot more on board than what has been rumored (the 6 Lakers, including Farmar, and two Laker number 1s for Kidd and another Net).
The_Coach
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject:

I realilze I already posted the info below in another thread but I just thought it actually makes more sense in this one.

Please do not consider this to be true insider information.

I worked part-time as a sports writer many years ago and still have quite a few friends working as journalists. One old co-worker, who is still a sports writer covering the NBA down in New Jersey, claims he has heard from one of his sources that the Lakers just blinked. Up to this point the whole thing has been a game of chicken with both sides waiting to see if the other would get just a little more desperate.

His source claims that last night's loss was the proverbial feather on the camel's back and the Lakers apparently are willing to take Collins ... luxury tax and all. Smush's 3 for 13 and over-all bad performance last night seems to have contributed to the lakers' decision that they have to take a chance on Kidd. He also said that the other big stumbling block has not been giving up Cook but in trying to keep Farmar out of the deal.

As of now, the ball appears to be back in the Net's court with the Lakers willing to take Collins BUT they also substituted Smush for Farmar. SO it is still a six for two with Kwame, Mihm, McKie, Cook, Williams and Smush going to NJ for Kidd and Collins. He also thought there was only one draft pick involved with the Laker's first going to NJ and their 2nd coming back and that the original cash included was removed because of the luxury tax issues.

Again ... I don't claim this to be insider info ... just one NJ reporter's source. My friend is not even going to use it unless he can find someone else to verify it.

And PLEASE ... LB or anyone else for that matter. Don't try and draw me into a debate as to whether or not the Lakers should or should not do this. Frankly ... your opinion doesn't matter. It is only Mitch and the rest of the Lakers management team's opinion that really is going to matter in the end. If this is in fact true and the Net's do bite ... then all I can do as a Laker fan is cheer like mad for our new PG and hope he is, as Marc Stein claims, the one player we need to put us over the top.

PS: I just read an article by John Hollinger that is pushing for NJ to make this deal. Interesting that he is suddenly in favor of it considering how he normally seems to hate on the Lakers.
Darkndeep
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject:

The_Coach wrote:
I realilze I already posted the info below in another thread but I just thought it actually makes more sense in this one.

Please do not consider this to be true insider information.

I worked part-time as a sports writer many years ago and still have quite a few friends working as journalists. One old co-worker, who is still a sports writer covering the NBA down in New Jersey, claims he has heard from one of his sources that the Lakers just blinked. Up to this point the whole thing has been a game of chicken with both sides waiting to see if the other would get just a little more desperate.

His source claims that last night's loss was the proverbial feather on the camel's back and the Lakers apparently are willing to take Collins ... luxury tax and all. Smush's 3 for 13 and over-all bad performance last night seems to have contributed to the lakers' decision that they have to take a chance on Kidd. He also said that the other big stumbling block has not been giving up Cook but in trying to keep Farmar out of the deal.

As of now, the ball appears to be back in the Net's court with the Lakers willing to take Collins BUT they also substituted Smush for Farmar. SO it is still a six for two with Kwame, Mihm, McKie, Cook, Williams and Smush going to NJ for Kidd and Collins. He also thought there was only one draft pick involved with the Laker's first going to NJ and their 2nd coming back and that the original cash included was removed because of the luxury tax issues.

Again ... I don't claim this to be insider info ... just one NJ reporter's source. My friend is not even going to use it unless he can find someone else to verify it.

And PLEASE ... LB or anyone else for that matter. Don't try and draw me into a debate as to whether or not the Lakers should or should not do this. Frankly ... your opinion doesn't matter. It is only Mitch and the rest of the Lakers management team's opinion that really is going to matter in the end. If this is in fact true and the Net's do bite ... then all I can do as a Laker fan is cheer like mad for our new PG and hope he is, as Marc Stein claims, the one player we need to put us over the top.

PS: I just read an article by John Hollinger that is pushing for NJ to make this deal. Interesting that he is suddenly in favor of it considering how he normally seems to hate on the Lakers.

Hmmmm ... thanks, Coach. A better deal than what has been rumored--particularly if the No. 1 were next year's (this year is supposed to be a deep draft and we'll hopefully be better next year). Brown AND Mihm are still a lot in the middle to give up (with just Collins and his lousy 2.5 points. 4 rebounds and horrible shooting percentages coming back), but I'm not a big Cook fan and would miss Farmar a lot more than him.
JasonPR
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject:

We offer Kwame, Farmar, Mihm, McKie, Shamond and 2007 First round pick for Kidd and Moore....If they don't take it, we walk....
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: