Goodbye TALEN HORTON-TUCKER Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 112, 113, 114 ... 200, 201, 202  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:26 pm    Post subject:

Obvious that the kid needs more experience and seasoning to play with more confidence.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject:

THT has a way to go on D, he lets players get by then try’s to compensate and his rotations are pretty bad.

Is a young strong kid, I hope we can keep him instead of adding him to a list of guys we had to let go...we’ll see.
windycitycane
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:46 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Obvious that the kid needs more experience and seasoning to play with more confidence.

Not sure if he has it mentally. Confidence is lacking.
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:58 pm    Post subject:

windycitycane wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Not sure if he has it mentally. Confidence is lacking.

More than confidence he needs to learn the game more first and foremost. He misses assignments, and isn’t a great passer when he penetrates. He hasn’t finished with his left hand once this season, and he doesn’t have a mid range game yet. I’m not saying he’s a bad player, heck he’s 20 years old. Just saying he’s not going to produce like everyone thought after the preseason games and got ahead of themselves.
RashardA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:33 pm    Post subject:

When the Lakers went all in with Lebron they said to hell with developing young players.

We moved much better players than him to fit the win now mode.

The Lakers dont have time to let THT figure it out.

They need players who contribute to them winning now.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject:

THT needs reps, We have been through the re-build years and seen how bad it gets. Look at the Pels, they have 5 guys THT level or better, and they still barely reach .500

It is hard to teach young guys how to win, that is why THT needs reps. Just watching vids will not get you there.

The thing with this situation is THT has to come in and win right away. So his mistakes look so much worse.

That said, I agree he needs to work on his left hand, he also needs to work on his shot selection. The defensive recognition will only come with reps. I am glad he got a start. Those were important minutes in his development.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
THT needs reps, We have been through the re-build years and seen how bad it gets. Look at the Pels, they have 5 guys THT level or better, and they still barely reach .500

It is hard to teach young guys how to win, that is why THT needs reps. Just watching vids will not get you there.

The thing with this situation is THT has to come in and win right away. So his mistakes look so much worse.

That said, I agree he needs to work on his left hand, he also needs to work on his shot selection. The defensive recognition will only come with reps. I am glad he got a start. Those were important minutes in his development.

Wolf - I don't think you'll see the actualization of those changes for another 4 years. Just using the D-lo or Randle trajectory - this guy is still a long ways away from being a capable defender or even a savvy enough player to breakdown the defense.

He tends to be tunnel focused towards taking guys off the dribble. There is not a ton of offensive versatility shown consistently. I mean Gobert blocked him easily when he tried to drive on him. It was predictable that he was going to come down the basket the way he did last night. Now obviously Gobert is an elite defender but my point is - he could have utilized a floater or a kickout. He's predetermined where he's going with the ball instead of reading the defense.

His immaturity and lack of awareness is obvious. He's routinely out of position on defense. He's trying hammer dunks in the 4th when we're down 20. The maturity and professionalism is just not there because he's 20. I see a kid trying to prove himself on the team instead of taking the approach of let me do the little things to win. I just don't see the actualization of his potential during any period of our championship window. He's undoubtedly talented but he's a ways away.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Wolf - I don't think you'll see the actualization of those changes for another 4 years. Just using the D-lo or Randle trajectory - this guy is still a long ways away from being a capable defender or even a savvy enough player to breakdown the defense.

He tends to be tunnel focused towards taking guys off the dribble. There is not a ton of offensive versatility shown consistently. I mean Gobert blocked him easily when he tried to drive on him. It was predictable that he was going to come down the basket the way he did last night. Now obviously Gobert is an elite defender but my point is - he could have utilized a floater or a kickout. He's predetermined where he's going with the ball instead of reading the defense.

His immaturity and lack of awareness is obvious. He's routinely out of position on defense. He's trying hammer dunks in the 4th when we're down 20. The maturity and professionalism is just not there because he's 20. I see a kid trying to prove himself on the team instead of taking the approach of let me do the little things to win. I just don't see the actualization of his potential during any period of our championship window. He's undoubtedly talented but he's a ways away.

Interesting, because I was just thinking about the Randle/THT parallel. Randle played with Kobe an all time great, but not on a Championship contending team. Randle barreled out of control and was not a good 3
point shooter here. He got into shape later in his time here. He is a different player now. THT is maybe 4 years away, but he can contribute now, situationally. Hope we are not developing just to trade later, but that is our track record. Lebron hyping a 20 year old as special put a lot of pressure on THT. He’ll get there, but not this year, and maybe not even on our team like Randle, Russel, Ingram, and now Clarkson. A Lebron dominated team slows a players development, so moving on would actually accelerate his development.
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:31 pm    Post subject:

THT looked solid in his minutes today. Could tell they got in a practice because his switching and help coverage was MUCH improved. Good assists, couple blocks, some boards. Give him 10-15 minutes as a spark for now is probably best. Every day gaining NBA experience.
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject:

Last 2 games combined stats Vs Warriors and Suns

35 minutes 27 points 11-21 (2-7) 3s 4 Reb 3 steals 1 Blk

20 years old.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject:

I think THT should start over KCP. Maybe bein promoted will light a fire under KCP. If nothing else, we will get better offensive and defensive play from that position, and KCP can play with Harrell, who brings players away from the perimeter with his low key play.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject:

Laker4lifer4real wrote:
THT looked solid in his minutes today. Could tell they got in a practice because his switching and help coverage was MUCH improved. Good assists, couple blocks, some boards. Give him 10-15 minutes as a spark for now is probably best. Every day gaining NBA experience.

He undoubtedly looks good offensively but he is so lost on defense. He's a step in the lane too far and allows too many corner 3s. Last game he rotated to the same guy Alex was rotating too (Alex was closer), which allowed another corner three. If you watch him off ball, he definitely shows his inexperience.
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject:

Yeah I have to agree - his off ball D has a ways to go. Man D he is solid and when his jumper is rolling he is a load on offense.

But with teams spamming the three point line so much he needs to be better with his off ball discipline.
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject:

BandwagonLBJhopper wrote:
Yeah I have to agree - his off ball D has a ways to go. Man D he is solid and when his jumper is rolling he is a load on offense.

But with teams spamming the three point line so much he needs to be better with his off ball discipline.

More video, coaching, and practice.
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Laker4lifer4real wrote:

Work on finishing with that left hand more. He also seems to get off balance a lot and basically fall. Still a great prospect for where we got him and for how young he is.
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject:

Lakerz113 wrote:
Laker4lifer4real wrote:

Work on finishing with that left hand more. He also seems to get off balance a lot and basically fall. Still a great prospect for where we got him and for how young he is.

He dribbles well with his left, so it is a skill he can conceivably get good at.
LAKERMIKE2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:45 pm    Post subject:

He needs to work on his jump shot a great deal, it’s the only way he’ll get consistent minutes & be a scorer. Next year he’ll be in rotation regularly, but his jumper needs work cause he can’t keep the defense honest if all he does is drive & eventually get cut off. Teams are starting to figure him out, he does look for Trez a lot though.
HC: Riley
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject:

Hey, first left handed layup!! Cheers to the first of many yet to come.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject:

Yeah, hope he can get himself a descent jumper - we sure have problems drafting players who can shoot the basketball.
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject:

Laker4lifer4real wrote:
Hey, first left handed layup!! Cheers to the first of many yet to come.

I thought the same thing when it happened lol.
Pureshot77
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
Yeah, hope he can get himself a descent jumper - we sure have problems drafting players who can shoot the basketball.

It almost seems like shooting is one area we willingly give up when looking for value picks
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject:

Kid Dynamite career high 18 points and 10 assists in 28 minutes off the bench. He’s starting to get it.
parsons777
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:08 pm    Post subject:

Laker4lifer4real wrote:
Kid Dynamite career high 18 points and 10 assists in 28 minutes off the bench. He’s starting to get it.

Only 2 TOs.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject:

That one pass in the 4th quarter where he tried to connect with Wes Matthews towards the basket but ended up as a TO because Wes got held was still a good pass, showed THT has some good vision. That pass was THT predicting 2 steps ahead where Wes was going to end up.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Man really good all around game from THT. Hopefully it’s going to start to click for him. Crazy the kids only 20. The league is going to be in trouble when this kid builds that confidence and learns the game
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 112, 113, 114 ... 200, 201, 202  Next
Page 113 of 202
Jump to: