Think We Need a Rim Protecting Big? (LAL rank 23rd in Defending Points in Paint)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
King Randle wrote:
I'll try to find it...it came out just prior to his presser with Philly...Also when he initially announced he was running it back with the purple and gold...it was for the minimum which in his case was about $3 million. Same deal he got with the Sixers. Rob thought Dwight was going absolutely nowhere and overplayed his cards by turning to Trez without reassuring Dwight they would still bring him back...and yes Dwight is a bit sensitive still.

Here you go.

Thanks buddy....wasn’t exactly the article but close enough. It was the minimum but Rob never offered it and then pursued Trez. Dwight being sensitive felt disrespected because they signed another back up center and McGee was still the starting center. There you have it.

I'm not sure if we know the entire real story. Was it a certainty that the Lakers were going to offer him a contract? Was there doubt about that or about what role Dwight was going to have on the team? I have no idea.

In addition, a lot of different things were happening at once, and it's not 100% clear what order they happened in.

The only thing that seems clear to me is that the Lakers weren't prioritizing Dwight. if this was just about offering him a minimum contract, there shouldn't have been any stumbling block or hesitation on their part if they wanted to have him back
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject:

Rudy Gobert was owned by embiid and Jokic
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
King Randle wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
King Randle wrote:
I'll try to find it...it came out just prior to his presser with Philly...Also when he initially announced he was running it back with the purple and gold...it was for the minimum which in his case was about $3 million. Same deal he got with the Sixers. Rob thought Dwight was going absolutely nowhere and overplayed his cards by turning to Trez without reassuring Dwight they would still bring him back...and yes Dwight is a bit sensitive still.

Here you go.

Thanks buddy....wasn’t exactly the article but close enough. It was the minimum but Rob never offered it and then pursued Trez. Dwight being sensitive felt disrespected because they signed another back up center and McGee was still the starting center. There you have it.

I'm not sure if we know the entire real story. Was it a certainty that the Lakers were going to offer him a contract? Was there doubt about that or about what role Dwight was going to have on the team? I have no idea.

In addition, a lot of different things were happening at once, and it's not 100% clear what order they happened in.

The only thing that seems clear to me is that the Lakers weren't prioritizing Dwight. if this was just about offering him a minimum contract, there shouldn't have been any stumbling block or hesitation on their part if they wanted to have him back

My suspicion (and I do not claim to have specific backup for this) is that Pelinka got infatuated with signing Harrell because he thought that we were depriving the Clippers of an important asset. I'm not sure that he had time to really think this through.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
activeverb wrote:
King Randle wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
King Randle wrote:

Here you go.

My suspicion (and I do not claim to have specific backup for this) is that Pelinka got infatuated with signing Harrell because he thought that we were depriving the Clippers of an important asset. I'm not sure that he had time to really think this through.

I just don't buy the story that Dwight wanted a minimum from the Lakers. If that was it, Rob would have done it. I think his quote the week before FA was revealing, he wanted to get paid and not "play for free" (which to me means more than the minimum).
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I just don't buy the story that Dwight wanted a minimum from the Lakers. If that was it, Rob would have done it. I think his quote the week before FA was revealing, he wanted to get paid and not "play for free" (which to me means more than the minimum).

You have said this over and over and over again. Howard signed with the Sixers for the minimum. Regardless of whether he "wanted" more, he was available for the minimum. But you can believe whatever you want.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

You have said this over and over and over again. Howard signed with the Sixers for the minimum. Regardless of whether he "wanted" more, he was available for the minimum. But you can believe whatever you want.

The minimum deal is available to all teams, unless you get to hard cap issues like the Lakers had until we finally prorated a week ago.

So that minimum was always technically available. I'm surmising that what he ended up with the 76ers may have nothing to do with what he wanted from the Lakers. Coming off a championship, after playing on a non-guaranteed minimum, it is more than understandable he wanted more $. That's literally what he said a week before free agency. Obviously we don't know what happened but I think there is more to this story. If Dwight wanted to come back on a minimum to the Lakers, I'm sure it would have been fine.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
So that minimum was always technically available. I'm surmising that what he ended up with the 76ers may have nothing to do with what he wanted from the Lakers. Coming off a championship, after playing on a non-guaranteed minimum, it is more than understandable he wanted more $. That's literally what he said a week before free agency. Obviously we don't know what happened but I think there is more to this story. If Dwight wanted to come back on a minimum to the Lakers, I'm sure it would have been fine.

Sure, believe whatever you want.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Sure, believe whatever you want.

I will. Have a nice day.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject:

In retrospect. A lot of talk about the Lakers not having enough. They hit a huge challenge with AD out, and then Gasol in protocol COVID related.

Not only have they shown with a 10 day signee 3rd string C, and Trez as a small ball 5, that they can win games, they even played better on offense.

With this group, I have felt from the start, they are loaded with bigs and match ups they can offer that make opposing teams feel uncomfortable. AD-Kieff, AD-Bron, Trez-Kieff, Trez-Bron, AD-Gasol. Etc.

The issue really comes down to our wings, and our guards. We need them to make 3s, and defend well. And our guards (Bron, Dennis) have to make good decisions with the ball on offense. If there is an area I still feel uncomfortable about, it is to get those backup 2 minutes from Wesley Matthews. Assuming Dennis is going to play well in those backup 1 minutes, we have to get more from Wesley (who I admit, I thought was a great signing at 3.6M, but so far has not been).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject:

Wolf, we are not yet out of the woods. No guarantee AD comes back healthy or is able to finish a grueling playoff run. I do think we will need to be smart with our last two spots and ideally get a true center (be it Jones, Hassan, Drummond, etc.) AND a 3/D wing defender.

Further, our recent wins have been against pretty poor teams, so not sure how much you can extrapolate from that.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject:

if last night showed anything, it is not about who is in the middle guarding the paint, it is about how the players rotate and help each other.

Wolves got layup after layup even with Jones inside. we shut down the paint with trezz in there but much better help defense.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
if last night showed anything, it is not about who is in the middle guarding the paint, it is about how the players rotate and help each other.

Wolves got layup after layup even with Jones inside. we shut down the paint with trezz in there but much better help defense.

Trezz and our rotations are not going to shut down the better big men of the league....add that AD does not want to play C and Gasol can body you up but has zero lift; man we definitely miss DH & McGee blocking shots off the bench...
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject:

shoulda signed moses brown
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26
Page 26 of 26
Jump to: