NJ-Orl-LaL Trade idea

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: NJ-Orl-LaL Trade idea

Here is a fun thought about a 3-way trade:

Orlando
Darko and Hill ---- Kwame and Carter

Replacing Darko for Kwame is about a wash. They have to pay Kwame about $10 million next year but it beats having to decide on a larger extension for Darko. In the mean time they get a big on a 1 year deal so they can resign Carter. They end up with a lineup of Nelson, Carter, Hedo, Howard and Kwame backed up by Arroyo and Battie.

Lakers
Kwame, Evans, Mihm, Parker (or Farmar), McKie and '07 first round pick --- J Kidd

Well, we would get J Kidd w/o giving up any of our day to day core. Duh

New Jersey
Carter and Kidd --- Milicic, Evans, Parker (or Farmar), Hill, McKie, Mihm and '07 pick (Lakers)

On the surface it looks like a massive shift for NJ but in some ways not so much. Carter is really only a rental at this point to NJ b/c he likely bolts for $$ at season's end. Kidd is a very good player but he is also an aging veteran who won't sniff title contention in Jersey. He is simply paid too much to toil in the swamp.

This deal leaves them with a front court of Jefferson, Kristic and Milicic (whom Thorn loves). The back court would need help featuring M. Williams and Evans but a high lottery pick and significant cap space could help this. Who knows, they could even make a run at Carter.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Why does Mo need to go?

Other than that, I like that deal.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject:

yeah, I wouldn't call Evans a dealbreaker but that is giving up too much. If for some reason NJ sees Evans as a peice that has to be included, Ariza or Redick should end up in LA (though you'd think NJ would just rather have one of them). It is more likely that each team gets a deal done individually, this looks somewhat realistic and very creative. VC for Hill makes too much sense, but I'm wondering if maybe they'd be more likely to give up picks or a young player to not have to take on Kwame's deal. Orlando could use that 10 or so million in free agency to attract the player it wants, or retain Darko.
BigEvil
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject:

I made my own deal at ESPN...

LA Trades: Kwame (NJ), Mihm (NJ), McKie (NJ), and Williams (NJ)
NJ Trades: Kidd (LA), Robinson (LA), Carter (Orl), Collins (Orl)
Orl Trades: Hill (NJ), Arroyo (NJ)

LA Recieves: Kidd, Robinson
NJ Recieves: Kwame, Mihm, McKie, Hill, Arroyo, Williams
Orl Recieves: Carter, Collins

LA obviously does it to get Kidd. He's a true floor leader with a decent enough shot, but the ability to create for his teammates. He is also a terrific rebounder and still a good defender. He is a big guard, with a high basketball IQ. Should be a terrific fit for the Triangle and a steady veteran presence on the court when Kobe needs to sit down. Robinson is a serviceable, shooting big for the bench.

NJ does it mostly for cap relief. Their ending contracts will net them (no pun intended) over 25-million in cap relief, and the year after that, another 12-million. For the short term though, they get a decent big in Kwame, decent point guard in Arroyo, a great team veteran in Hill, and everyone else they could just as easily wave outright. Talent-wise, Jersey is giving up the most. They are losing two star players, but the odds are good that Vince will bolt anyway, and Kidd and Collin's contracts are no longer wanted. If they wanted to rebuild now, this deal gives them huge saving over the next two years.

Orlando gets their allstar to go next to Howard in Carter, though for a limited time. Still it gives them a chance to build a repoire with Carter in the hopes of enticing him to stay. Collins is sent for cap purposes but he's a decent big that rebounds. If anything, he's depth for the frontline.

I didn't add any picks or cash because frankly, I don't know what the worth of said things are. I would wager that NJ would be seeking to gain as many picks as possible.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: