Any chance you think Staples will open up by Playoffs?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Any chance you think Staples will open up by Playoffs?

Unfortunately my parents were too poor to take me to any playoff games for 2000-2002, and i was a broke student during the 2009-10 years....but I was super excited to potentially go to the Finals last year....obviously that didn’t happen. No matter what happens this year, it might be the best chance the Lakers have at making it to the Finals (too many unknowns for next year regarding LBJ’s health and roster changes etc) in the next 5 years or so.....

.....anywho, what are the chances you think there will be a live audience for the Finals? If LA isn’t ready, I’d suspect the NBA would give the Lakers the opportunity to play somewhere else? (Vegas?)
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject:

I would say good chance. Maybe not full capacity first couple of rounds.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Any chance you think Staples will open up by Playoffs?

BigBallerBrand wrote:
Unfortunately my parents were too poor to take me to any playoff games for 2000-2002, and i was a broke student during the 2009-10 years....but I was super excited to potentially go to the Finals last year....obviously that didn’t happen. No matter what happens this year, it might be the best chance the Lakers have at making it to the Finals (too many unknowns for next year regarding LBJ’s health and roster changes etc) in the next 5 years or so.....

.....anywho, what are the chances you think there will be a live audience for the Finals? If LA isn’t ready, I’d suspect the NBA would give the Lakers the opportunity to play somewhere else? (Vegas?)

The playoffs start around late May. Pretty sure most people will have their first shot by then.. the NBA with fans back for the playoffs would be crazy! The game is really missing the crowd noise and atmosphere
KBandKB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject:

John Ireland today on ESPN 710 said that he was told that Staples will reopen sometime by end of April. I assume he knows what’s up because he’s close with team officials. I think they said that’s the timeline they’re expecting Newsom to allow indoor spectating for events.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject:

KBandKB wrote:
John Ireland today on ESPN 710 said that he was told that Staples will reopen sometime by end of April. I assume he knows what’s up because he’s close with team officials. I think they said that’s the timeline they’re expecting Newsom to allow indoor spectating for events.

In early march, the state announced that some outdoor ball parks, stadiums and theme parks will be eligible to open "at a reduced capacity" on April 1.

The amount of capacity will depend on the case rates and hospitalizations in the area.

I haven't heard anything about indoor stadiums opening, though.
KBandKB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
KBandKB wrote:

In early march, the state announced that some outdoor ball parks, stadiums and theme parks will be eligible to open "at a reduced capacity" on April 1.

The amount of capacity will depend on the case rates and hospitalizations in the area.

I haven't heard anything about indoor stadiums opening, though.

Yeah I think that’s what Ireland was trying to get at earlier. Lakers officials have been meeting with state officials about the date of potential reopening and he indicated that rumors are end of April.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:45 pm    Post subject:

All is (bleep), fans will be back soon in ALL NBA arenas, we will regret the loss of HCA with our rash of injuries.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject:

NY state opens up eligibility to 30 and over today, 16 and over next week (basically everybody) so... fo sho!!! Lakers will have fans (actually Barclay and MSG already allows fans since weeks ago)
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject:

We'll definitely have fans. Higher capacity if they go the "vaccinated only individuals" route
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject:

Gonna be interesting how things work.

For example what if Utah fully lifts restrictions and has full fans, while california is behind and still has limited capacity.

What a home court advantage lol
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:23 pm    Post subject:

^ I know the nfl had fans in some stadiums and not in others based on that city’s or states regulations. I wonder if there will be differences allowed in the nba or if Silver will set a maximum based on the city with the lowest attendance allowed, eg. if the lowest allowance is 25% capacity then will all teams be limited to that to avoid unfair advantage?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:47 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
^ I know the nfl had fans in some stadiums and not in others based on that city’s or states regulations. I wonder if there will be differences allowed in the nba or if Silver will set a maximum based on the city with the lowest attendance allowed, eg. if the lowest allowance is 25% capacity then will all teams be limited to that to avoid unfair advantage?

No way the NBA is going to turn down money. The attendance is capped because of the restrictions per state. I don't see the NBA artificially capping attendance at 25% in a state like Florida or Texas.
windycitycane
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject:

Capacity of Fans at playoff games. Real question is will the Lakers be part of them?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject:

Fans to be able to start attending games starting on April 15th. Capacity to be determined.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject:

💃🏾💃🏾💃🏾
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31184659/los-angeles-lakers-la-clippers-welcoming-fans-back-home-games-april
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers just sent an email to me. It reads as follows:

We are incredibly excited that the State of California announced guidelines today that will allow Lakers fans to return to STAPLES Center.

Now that we have the guidance, we will work with LA County Public Health and STAPLES Center to finalize our plans to have fans safely attend our games starting with the Lakers vs. Celtics game on April 15th.

We look forward to welcoming Lakers fans back to STAPLES Center to continue the journey with us to defend our NBA title.

Personally, unless they make everyone show proof of vaccination I wouldn't risk it, but unfortunately this country has politicized Covid and I'm sure others don't agree with that. I just got the J&J vaccine yesterday and I feel fine.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject:

I don't think its a coincidence that they finally opened up on April 15th, the same day that everyone 16+ and over is eligible to get vaccinated.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject:

We're hanging banner #17 with the Celtics watching. Gotta love it.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
danzag wrote:

unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject:

Staples might be open for the Playoffs, but I am not holding out much hope for the Lakers being in the Finals...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: