DENNIS SCHRÖDER - Toronto (2yr, $26M)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 110, 111, 112 ... 282, 283, 284  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ocho wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
What is it with Lakers and PGs lately? Dlo? Gone. Lonzo? Gone. Dennis? People want him gone.

We are the home of Magic Johnson but we cannot seem to nail this important position.

I mean...our PG is Lebron James and he’s pretty good

😆.

He’s def a point. But a point forward. Whatever that means.

With DLo and Lonzo the team just wasn’t capable of being patient and letting them have time to grow. Lebron changed the timeline drastically. With Dennis he’s doing pretty well but you do ideally want shooters around LeBron and he’s just not a great shooter. As a ball handler he loses his dribble a lot and coughs up 3 TOs a game. He has a nice midrange game but his size and shot release make it difficult for him to get it off. He gets blocked a lot. He’s at his best when he’s getting to the rim, but his size is an issue there too.

Fair critiques. Which is why I then don’t understand why people think AC/THT are better current or future options there. I’ve said that a Derek Fisher type would be ideal for this team. I understand Rob’s thinking getting Dennis but I always hoped he would have locked him up in an extension first. Now that may backfire. I’m concerned about filling so many holes with such limited assets.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ocho wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
What is it with Lakers and PGs lately? Dlo? Gone. Lonzo? Gone. Dennis? People want him gone.

We are the home of Magic Johnson but we cannot seem to nail this important position.

😆.

With DLo and Lonzo the team just wasn’t capable of being patient and letting them have time to grow. Lebron changed the timeline drastically. With Dennis he’s doing pretty well but you do ideally want shooters around LeBron and he’s just not a great shooter. As a ball handler he loses his dribble a lot and coughs up 3 TOs a game. He has a nice midrange game but his size and shot release make it difficult for him to get it off. He gets blocked a lot. He’s at his best when he’s getting to the rim, but his size is an issue there too.

My biggest concern for him is although he has been playing stellar defense, it looks like they could hunt him down the stretch in the playoff. He’s not strong enough like Rondo who stood his ground agains Jokic. And when it matters, I want Lebron to make the plays not him. I’m just hoping he could get that 3 ball be playoff ready and get it going as a secondary playmaker. I wish Vogel have a different role for him like the PNR with Trez and he assassin of the bench.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
ocho wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ocho wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

😆.

My biggest concern for him is although he has been playing stellar defense, it looks like they could hunt him down the stretch in the playoff. He’s not strong enough like Rondo who stood his ground agains Jokic. And when it matters, I want Lebron to make the plays not him. I’m just hoping he could get that 3 ball be playoff ready and get it going as a secondary playmaker. I wish Vogel have a different role for him like the PNR with Trez and he assassin of the bench.

Did you watch him on OKC last year in the playoffs? They often went with a tiny CP3/Dennis/SGA trio. He more than held his own against bigger guys, even guarding Harden too.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ocho wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ocho wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

😆.

Fair critiques. Which is why I then don’t understand why people think AC/THT are better current or future options there. I’ve said that a Derek Fisher type would be ideal for this team. I understand Rob’s thinking getting Dennis but I always hoped he would have locked him up in an extension first. Now that may backfire. I’m concerned about filling so many holes with such limited assets.

THT will be ready next year. It’s hard for him to get into rhythm at time because his minutes are inconsistent and he’s not experience enough to run a team like this. AC has been off offensively because it looks like he has been bothered by assortment of injuries . Schroder value will be determine on how he plays when it matters and quite honestly that’s more prudent considering we have THT who I prefer down the road.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
CRoost wrote:
ocho wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ocho wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

😆.

Did you watch him on OKC last year in the playoffs? They often went with a tiny CP3/Dennis/SGA trio. He more than held his own against bigger guys, even guarding Harden too.

I didn't notice that. But I trust you. I'm sure it happened.

I see things similarly to CRoost. It comes off as hating. But really I just want to avoid future hate. I feel like the expectations for Schro are too high ever since he became a starter. He was a bench player on a 1st round out team last year. And he shot poorly from 3 while doing it.
Now he's supposed to be a championship level starter going against CP3, Conley, Lillard, Rondo, Murray, Ja, or Curry in the playoffs.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
CRoost wrote:
ocho wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ocho wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

😆.

That Houston team are more perimeter oriented which is suited for Schroder defensive capabilities. I’ve seen him enough this year that he get easily back down. He fights like a dog but he’s just not strong enough on the ground.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
CRoost wrote:
ocho wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ocho wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

😆.

I do think there’s a good chance he’s on the bench in tight games.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject:

I just feel people will be similarly disappointed if THT is thrust into the starting lineup and they zone him b/c he's shooting 15% from 3 and averaging 5 fouls a night.

He's making progress, but teams are finally scouting him. Even more so if he starts.

Dennis is imperfect. No doubt about that. But I think people are just becoming personally mad at him that he didn't take what he believed was in his best interest. He could be totally off about this, but it's his choice.

There are many critiques to his game, but last time I checked, he was supposed to be support staff to AD/LBJ, not replace them (as some seem to expect, which is unfair).
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I just feel people will be similarly disappointed if THT is thrust into the starting lineup and they zone him b/c he's shooting 15% from 3 and averaging 5 fouls a night.

He's making progress, but teams are finally scouting him. Even more so if he starts.

Dennis is imperfect. No doubt about that. But I think people are just becoming personally mad at him that he didn't take what he believed was in his best interest. He could be totally off about this, but it's his choice.

There are many critiques to his game, but last time I checked, he was supposed to be support staff to AD/LBJ, not replace them (as some seem to expect, which is unfair).

The extension we offered him was more than fair. He rejected it, and that hurts our franchise moving forward. That's why I'm not happy with him.

If he overachieves and helps us win a chip. I'll be the 1st to say, "pay the man what he wants". If he doesn't measure up to the stacked western conference playoff point guards we see. I'll view him like I viewed Ramon Sessions.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject:

lurklurk wrote:
^ DS was fitting just fine with bron and ad

Yeah he was, and he shows that he is capable of getting his own shot/scoring when he needs to, as shown by what he's been able to do in their absence.

He fit in with AD and LBJ pretty well given how well we all were playing before injuries piled up.

The kind of point guard style they essentially describe "fitting best" with LBJ and AD is pretty much Lonzo Ball. But then in the same breath they try to say that Lonzo wasn't a fit next to LeBron

But now we have Schroeder whom is more of a scoring pg, and they say "Well that isn't a good fit with LeBron and AD" as if LeBron didn't gel with Kyrie in terms of 'basketball fit'. And Kyrie takes up a heck of a lot more offense than Schroeder was trying to.

And the fact is, we're not getting another point guard that can produce what Schroeder can for 4M a year. Those pipe dreams don't happen.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/josheberley/status/1379133722901929985?s=21

Smh. These guys should win something before they start making demands about starting.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

Smh. These guys should win something before they start making demands about starting.

First thing Warriors will probably do once there season is over is find a Oubre deal ASAP, they already wanted him gone during the trade deadline, a playoff team will probably have interest in him.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

I would ship him out ASAP
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

Or come into camp and earn it? Everybody except Trez wants to start. The best way to get one of those 5 spots is make the coaching staff have no choice based on your play.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Or come into camp and earn it? Everybody except Trez wants to start. The best way to get one of those 5 spots is make the coaching staff have no choice based on your play.

Bingo...also some of these guys are really playing this wrong. Would you rather be “starting” and playing 15 min or be first guy off the bench getting 30 min and closing games.

Iguodala was smart enough to understand in his Warriors days. Clarkson gets it in Utah. Even Harrell gets it, despite his limitations that would make it tough for him to be in the closing lineup.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Who do the warriors have at SF that is better than Oubre though, is what I'm wondering.

Igoudala went to the bench when the Warriors had a young small forward named Harrison Barnes that they felt had a lot of potential and was showing signs.

As far as I've seen, Oubre has started every game this season and there's no one even challenging him for minutes there, so where's this about "Why won't Oubre come off the bench!?" coming from?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Who do the warriors have at SF that is better than Oubre though, is what I'm wondering.

Igoudala went to the bench when the Warriors had a young small forward named Harrison Barnes that they felt had a lot of potential and was showing signs.

As far as I've seen, Oubre has started every game this season and there's no one even challenging him for minutes there, so where's this about "Why won't Oubre come off the bench!?" coming from?

Iggy was clearly better than Barnes at that point. I think the point is the sense of entitlement that is rubbing this teammate the wrong way. If Oubre is the best option then the issue takes care of itself. Walking in and demanding the job before earning it is bound to make those around him roll their eyes.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
MJST wrote:

Iggy was clearly better than Barnes at that point. I think the point is the sense of entitlement that is rubbing this teammate the wrong way. If Oubre is the best option then the issue takes care of itself. Walking in and demanding the job before earning it is bound to make those around him roll their eyes.

As it currently stands there isn't even a "Harrison Barnes" to challenge Oubre's starting position currently.

That's only gonna happen when Klay bets back from injury. If they're talking about hwen Klay comes back, Oubre doesn't want to go to the bench while Wiggins starts over him then I can definitely see that being a problem. Cause Wiggins is definitely better than Oubre. This year especially.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
ocho wrote:
MJST wrote:

As it currently stands there isn't even a "Harrison Barnes" to challenge Oubre's starting position currently.

That's only gonna happen when Klay bets back from injury. If they're talking about hwen Klay comes back, Oubre doesn't want to go to the bench while Wiggins starts over him then I can definitely see that being a problem. Cause Wiggins is definitely better than Oubre. This year especially.

Again, it’s not the fact that he’s starting. The anonymous teammate isn’t criticizing the decision to start him. He’s criticizing the entitled attitude.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
MJST wrote:
ocho wrote:
MJST wrote:

Again, it’s not the fact that he’s starting. The anonymous teammate isn’t criticizing the decision to start him. He’s criticizing the entitled attitude.

I think he's probably criticizing that Oubre won't want to be benched when Klay gets back because he thinks he's "more than a bench player".

And also that doesn't really match our situation with Schroeder. Caruso isn't better than him and he's played well all season for the most part, especially when AD and LBJ have been out.

Oubre has no such leg to stand on.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject:

It’s not so much about who is the better player at that position because the better player doesn’t always start. It’s about a players willingness to do whatever it takes to help the team win vs coming in with a chip on their shoulder demanding things and looking out for what’s best for themselves.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Dennis is imperfect. But I think people are just becoming personally mad at him that he didn't take what he believed was in his best interest.

Hey not me. You know I wanted him gone in February
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject:

DS giving me 2012 Dwight Howard vibes.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
It’s not so much about who is the better player at that position because the better player doesn’t always start. It’s about a players willingness to do whatever it takes to help the team win vs coming in with a chip on their shoulder demanding things and looking out for what’s best for themselves.

Why can't they be allowed to do both?
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject:

So, weird folks here have has Dennis hate but Lonzo love. But if weirdos.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 110, 111, 112 ... 282, 283, 284  Next
Page 111 of 284
Jump to: