Dodgers 2021 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 393, 394, 395  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:38 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Yeah Seager’s going to have a big year (barring injury). I think we’re past the point of thinking this is a hot streak.

Dude’s been locked in since 2020 Spring Training. I can’t remember the last time he slumped.

He’s just hitting everything.

I would be shocked if he doesn’t finish the year with:

.300+ avg
30+ HR
.950+ OPS

Yeah, that Betts-Seager combo is just so lethal.

I can’t really imagine losing him. That’s going to be big shoes to fill (the 2 hole).

I really think Seager’s going to get more than Lindor. 10 yrs $350M+.

I’m really wondering if the Mookie contract should make us more optimistic for Seager; ie. the front office being willing to give a big, long term contract. Or if I’m just making something out of nothing.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:45 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Yeah Seager’s going to have a big year (barring injury). I think we’re past the point of thinking this is a hot streak.

Dude’s been locked in since 2020 Spring Training. I can’t remember the last time he slumped.

.300+ avg
30+ HR
.950+ OPS

I can’t really imagine losing him. That’s going to be big shoes to fill (the 2 hole).

I’m really wondering if the Mookie contract should make us more optimistic for Seager; ie. the front office being willing to give a big, long term contract. Or if I’m just making something out of nothing.

I don’t think it’s the years that bothers Friedman. I think it’s Seager’s defense that concerns him the most.

Betts is a complete player - power, speed, hitting, defense. Friedman is willing to go long term for complete players.

Seager is exceptional offensively but average defensively and maybe below average in the future. That’s Friedman’s main concern. If Seager’s defense was as good as Lindor or Story, I think he would have been extended already or at least the Dodgers would have tried.

So the question is, can Friedman make an exception to his philosophy and pay for an elite offensive but average defensive player.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:18 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
and I think they correctly valued him over Kike as the utility guy they wanted to keep.

Did they pick Taylor over Kike or was it by default because they ran out of team control on Kike first?

For instance, if Taylor was a free agent this year and Kike was the one who was still under team control how would it have played out? I think they let Taylor walk and keep Kike.

I think they just pick whoever still has team control left.

But I agree I think they like Taylor more than Kike and I also think he’ll be a more sought after free agent than Kike was.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:04 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
and I think they correctly valued him over Kike as the utility guy they wanted to keep.

Did they pick Taylor over Kike or was it by default because they ran out of team control on Kike first?

For instance, if Taylor was a free agent this year and Kike was the one who was still under team control how would it have played out? I think they let Taylor walk and keep Kike.

But I agree I think they like Taylor more than Kike and I also think he’ll be a more sought after free agent than Kike was.

They were on the same timeline 2 years ago and they gave Taylor a modest 2-year extension (for $13.4MM, covering his final 2 arb years) to see him to this point, while they let Kike expire and obviously leave in free agency.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:22 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

They were on the same timeline 2 years ago and they gave Taylor a modest 2-year extension (for $13.4MM, covering his final 2 arb years) to see him to this point, while they let Kike expire and obviously leave in free agency.

Yeah they can’t be on the same timeline because Kike became a free agent this year.

They didn’t give Taylor the 2 yr deal 2 yrs ago. They gave it to him last year.

It covered his final 2 arbitration years which were: 2020 and 2021.

At that time, Kike had 1 arbitration year left: 2020

Yeah they were never on the same timeline because Kike’s first full season in the majors was 2016 while Taylor’s was 2017. Taylor was never set to become a free agent in 2021 based on time of service.

Quote:
Chris Taylor signs two-year extension with Dodgers
He avoids arbitration

By BlakeHarris on February 7, 2020 1:32 pm

https://www.truebluela.com/2020/2/7/21128567/chris-taylor-dodgers-contract

Quote:
Los Angeles Dodgers
@Dodgers

The Dodgers have agreed to a two-year contract extension with IF/OF Chris Taylor, avoiding arbitration.

12:51 PM · Feb 7, 2020

Quote:
Bill Plunkett
@billplunkettocr

Add Kike’ Hernandez to the signed group ($5.9m)

Quote:
Bill Plunkett
@billplunkettocr

Try that again. #Dodgers have 7 unsigned arb-eligible players remaining— Pedro Baez, Cody Bellinger, Kiké Hernandez, Max Muncy, Joc Pederson, Corey Seager and Chris Taylor
https://ocregister.com/2020/01/10/dodgers-reach-contract-agreements-with-ross-stripling-julio-urias/…

3:43 PM · Jan 10, 2020

Yeah, this was last year. Kike had 1 year of arbitration left while Taylor had 2.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:33 am    Post subject:

Bauer last night 7 inning shutout with 1 hit and 9 k's.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:

He finally got over that 7th inning hump. I think if we take out the 2 bad 7th innings in his previous 2 starts, he would have only allowed 2 hits so far in his 3 starts?

1st start - no hitter through 6
2nd start - 1 hitter through 6
3rd start - 1 hitter through 7

Also, no doctored balls controversy last night and he still shut them down.

I think we’ve been more than happy with his 3 starts so far.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:

He was really on a roll. Was it 14 straight hitters he retired? In some of those innings he retired the hitters so quickly that it almost felt like if you blinked you could miss it.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
32 wrote:

He was really on a roll. Was it 14 straight hitters he retired? In some of those innings he retired the hitters so quickly that it almost felt like if you blinked you could miss it.

And the one hit was a little dribbler back to mound that Hampson beat out.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

.300+ avg
30+ HR
.950+ OPS

I don’t think it’s the years that bothers Friedman. I think it’s Seager’s defense that concerns him the most.

Betts is a complete player - power, speed, hitting, defense. Friedman is willing to go long term for complete players.

Seager is exceptional offensively but average defensively and maybe below average in the future. That’s Friedman’s main concern. If Seager’s defense was as good as Lindor or Story, I think he would have been extended already or at least the Dodgers would have tried.

So the question is, can Friedman make an exception to his philosophy and pay for an elite offensive but average defensive player.

Well we slide him over to third after Turner’s contract is up where he should do fine defensively. He’s one of the best hitters in baseball when healthy and probably the best pure hitter on this team along with Mookie. As of now I rather pay him than Cody.

Story has the D and the speed so does Lindor..but Seager is in a league of his own when it comes to complete hitting. I wish there wasn’t a health concern with him because the injuries along with the average shortstop D is the only reason he isn’t signed already.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
Well we slide him over to third after Turner’s contract is up where he should do fine defensively. He’s one of the best hitters in baseball when healthy and probably the best pure hitter on this team along with Mookie. As of now I rather pay him than Cody.

Story has the D and the speed so does Lindor..but Seager is in a league of his own when it comes to complete hitting. I wish there wasn’t a health concern with him because the injuries along with the average shortstop D is the only reason he isn’t signed already.

Well, depends on your definition of fine. Will he be an above average 3rd baseman? Or just average?

Yeah, his hitting is definitely going to make Friedman rethink his philosophy.

Off the top of my head, all the players he’s been interested in giving/taking on a long term contract with, have all been elite offensive and defensive players:

Arenado
Rendon
Betts
Lindor

Note: he did chase Bryce Harper but he was only interested in a short term deal. That might be similar to how he approaches Seager: short term high annual salary deal.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Yeah they can’t be on the same timeline because Kike became a free agent this year.

They didn’t give Taylor the 2 yr deal 2 yrs ago. They gave it to him last year.

It covered his final 2 arbitration years which were: 2020 and 2021.

At that time, Kike had 1 arbitration year left: 2020

Yeah they were never on the same timeline because Kike’s first full season in the majors was 2016 while Taylor’s was 2017. Taylor was never set to become a free agent in 2021 based on time of service.

Quote:
Chris Taylor signs two-year extension with Dodgers
He avoids arbitration

By BlakeHarris on February 7, 2020 1:32 pm

https://www.truebluela.com/2020/2/7/21128567/chris-taylor-dodgers-contract

Quote:
Los Angeles Dodgers
@Dodgers

The Dodgers have agreed to a two-year contract extension with IF/OF Chris Taylor, avoiding arbitration.

12:51 PM · Feb 7, 2020

Quote:
Bill Plunkett
@billplunkettocr

Add Kike’ Hernandez to the signed group ($5.9m)

Quote:
Bill Plunkett
@billplunkettocr

Try that again. #Dodgers have 7 unsigned arb-eligible players remaining— Pedro Baez, Cody Bellinger, Kiké Hernandez, Max Muncy, Joc Pederson, Corey Seager and Chris Taylor
https://ocregister.com/2020/01/10/dodgers-reach-contract-agreements-with-ross-stripling-julio-urias/…

3:43 PM · Jan 10, 2020

Yeah, this was last year. Kike had 1 year of arbitration left while Taylor had 2.

Yes, you are of course right. For some reason I thought they debuted together as Dodgers.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:51 pm    Post subject:

Have to admit, I was nervous after he walked the first batter...Other than that, looked good, with really good movement on his cutter today.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Have to admit, I was nervous after he walked the first batter...Other than that, looked good, with really good movement on his cutter today.

You just never know what you're going to get with him. He was back down to 89-90 with some pitches, but some of them were up at 94 like in his previous outing. I did like the pitch selection on the final pitch, going with slider after all the cutters and fastballs, to strike out Tapia. And to bounce it instead of throwing it for a strike. You don't have to throw hittable strikes when hitters are behind in the count, especially at 0-2 or 1-2.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Seager isn't starting Thursday's game against the Rockies, J.P. Hoornstra of the Los Angeles Daily News reports.

Seager had recorded hits in each of the last four games, but he'll get a breather ahead of the team's weekend series against the Padres. Gavin Lux will shift to shortstop while Zach McKinstry starts at second base Thursday.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject:

Dodgers off to a great start, this team is a machine.

As I posted a page or two ago in this thread, it is possible they will be favored in every single game this regular season.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Dodgers off to a great start, this team is a machine.

As I posted a page or two ago in this thread, it is possible they will be favored in every single game this regular season.

Possible.

I can see us being underdogs if we’re on the road facing the Mets and deGrom or Cole and the Yankees (if we even play the Yankees this year).
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject:

Well, up to our B team to carry home the sweep before this weekend's showdown in SD.

Taylor, cf
Turner, 3b
Muncy, 1b
Smith, c
Pollock, lf
Lux, ss
McKinstry, 2b
Raley, rf
Urias, p
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
Well, up to our B team to carry home the sweep before this weekend's showdown in SD.

Taylor, cf
Turner, 3b
Muncy, 1b
Smith, c
Pollock, lf
Lux, ss
McKinstry, 2b
Raley, rf
Urias, p

Damn that's a helluva B team lol.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:

Taylor, cf
Turner, 3b
Muncy, 1b
Smith, c
Pollock, lf
Lux, ss
McKinstry, 2b
Raley, rf
Urias, p

Damn that's a helluva B team lol.

Considering this is minus 2 regular Season MVPs and 1 WS MVP yeah it's still respectavle, possible as good as at least 25% of all other MLB lineups!
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject:

I know he just came back but am I wrong to think that Mookie Betts should feel compelled to play on Jackie Robinson Day?
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
I know he just came back but am I wrong to think that Mookie Betts should feel compelled to play on Jackie Robinson Day?

Yeah no doubt, I think this was Doc Roberts trying to keep Mookie's back from stiffing up before the Padres series but still dude needs to play on this momentous day especially w/o the slugging of Belli and Seager.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Muncy!
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject:

Price to close it out in the 9th? Why? Putting in a guy that has given up 3 home runs in 4 innings sounds terrifying.

And he just gave up another hit as I write this.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:12 pm    Post subject:

Price looked like 2 different pitchers in that inning. Horrible start and fantastic finish.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 393, 394, 395  Next
Page 34 of 395
Jump to: