NJ-MEM-LAL trade idea

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: NJ-MEM-LAL trade idea

New Jersey
Sends Kidd, Kristic and House for Gasol & Kwame

Reasoning: By moving Kidd they free up the money to resign Carter. By attaining Gasol and Kwame they can part with Kristic who is coming off a major injury and will be due to discuss an expensive extension. They would also get Gasol without giving up their ’07 draft pick and stand a decent chance of making the playoffs (which means more $$$)

Starting five in ’07 – Williams, Carter, Jefferson, Gasol & Kwame + ’07 pick

Memphis
Gasol for Kristic, Farmar, Mihm/McKie/Shamu/House (expiring deals) and ’07 LAL first round pick.

Reasoning: Memphis gets two prospects (though not on the level of Deng) in Farmar and Kristic plus $10 million in expiring contracts. The expiring deals have real value in this scenario b/c Heisley is trying to sell the team and a lower payroll obligation always translates into a higher sale price. They also get an ’07 Draft pick.

This deal would be about getting kids with potential (and production with Kristic) and cutting salary. The kiddie core would have Gay, Miller, Farmar, Kristic, Warrick and 2 picks in the ’07 draft.

LA Lakers
Kwame, Farmar, ’07 first round pick and Mihm/McKie/Shamu for Kidd.

Reasoning: Though it costs us Kwame, Farmar and our ’07 pick we would be getting exactly what we need. A veteran, pass first defender at the point guard. Kidd’s deal ends just as an extension for Bynum would kick in and also ends at the same time as Lamar’s deal. The Lakers would clearly have opened up a 2.5 year championship window.

Starting five in ’07: Kidd, Bryant, Walton, Odom, Bynum + possibly signing Webber to a portion of the MLE to help our big man rotation.

Other assets include: Charlotte pick, Cook, Evans, Radman and Turiaf.
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject:

Well, my guess is that if the Nets can get Gasol, they probably want to keep Kidd. They are probably hoping to trade Carter for Gasol, and maybe sweeten the deal with Marcus Williams and a pick (just speculation on my part).
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject:

I agree that adding Gasol to a team with Kidd would be better on the court than the one I suggested but it would also have a shorter window and a huge pricetag. Ratner is moving the team to Brooklyn in a couple years. I doubt he wants to push for a title in NJ, move and get stuck with a huge payroll and declining players.

Plus in this scenario there is no way Memphis makes a deal for Carter (who can then walk) w/o getting at least NJ's '07 first round pick.
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
I agree that adding Gasol to a team with Kidd would be better on the court than the one I suggested but it would also have a shorter window and a huge pricetag. Ratner is moving the team to Brooklyn in a couple years. I doubt he wants to push for a title in NJ, move and get stuck with a huge payroll and declining players.

Plus in this scenario there is no way Memphis makes a deal for Carter (who can then walk) w/o getting at least NJ's '07 first round pick.

right, which is what I am suggesting. Perhaps NJ views itself at a crossroads. It can either liquidate, get young guys with cheap contracts and picks, or it can try to go with what they got (essentially Kidd, Jefferson and Krystic after this year) plus Gasol. They get Gasol now (for Carter) they perhaps sneak into the playoffs, where they could upset someone, and they have the makings of a good nucleus of Gasol/Jefferson for the future, along with Kidd for the next few years. Not so bad, if they can really pull it off, which would certainly cost them a pick and probably a young player like Marcus Williams to go along with Carter.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject:

IF indeed Orlando if the frontrunner for VC in the offseason, New Jersey has to consider dealing him there...or at least bartering with them. If a team with a chance of keeping Vince had a serious offer, they should notify Orlando, and if Orlando believes them, maybe they will up the offer.

Logically, a Hill+/Gasol/Carter deal makes sense for all parties on two conditions. 1. Memphis concludes that they need to move Gasol for youth and cap space, they don't get the right deal from Chicago, and they don't want to drag this into the offseason. 2. Orlando is convinced that another team has a serious offer, and they'd rather contend (in the East) now...they pony up and throw in the right comination of picks, a youngster or Darko. In the end, Memphis is better off keeping Gasol (if he can handle it) if they land Oden. I think it would be harder for them to attract free agents.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: