CAVS -at- LAKERS - 2/15 - Thoughts and :-(( ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vencal
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject:

First of all..Thanks to DB for good analysis as always! I think people forget to say "thanks" after a loss/bad game.

I have a couple of questions I would really appreciate DancingB's thoughts with (or anybody else too):

1) Why don't the Lakers ever try any type of a Zone on Defense and if they did do you think it would help in any way their horrible pick'n'roll defense?
I say this especially because the Lakers often get devastated on Offense when the other team springs some type of Zone at them. At least if they practiced a Zone Defense their offense could get some actual practice against one.

2) Would you be in favor of starting Sasha over Smush?
I am no Sasha fan and I have tried to be fair in my assessments of Smush, but last night was just too much for me to take again with Smush. I guess to be honest, it is getting harder for me to decide if it is Smush or Cook causing the most damage to the Lakers when they are out there. At least Cook isn't starting.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject:

It would be great to get DB's input on the "Match-up" Zone Defensive schemes that Phil sometimes employs?

IMO - The Lakers are already VERY BAD on rebounding and playing a zone defense just makes them that much vulnerable. if one can ever imagine that?!?!?! It would also force more responsibilities on Bynum, Turiaff and LO to defend the paint - not a good situation. In addition, Smush would STILL get beaten off the dribble in a zone defense!

The Lakers have to be better able to funnel the penetration towards help cause even players such as Tony Parker (a good PG) will still get beat on defense.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject:

Vencal wrote:

1) Why don't the Lakers ever try any type of a Zone on Defense and if they did do you think it would help in any way their horrible pick'n'roll defense?
I say this especially because the Lakers often get devastated on Offense when the other team springs some type of Zone at them. At least if they practiced a Zone Defense their offense could get some actual practice against one.

We have run an occasional zone, and we have run it when getting bled by the pick and roll. In fact, I think our longest stints of running it were to combat that...which we did horrendously.

I think Phil's mindset is that no one is going to win a championship with a full zone defense. It's a gimmick and the Tri can easily throw an overlay in how they run the offense to deal with it in a seven-game series. That said, we've done a poor job addressing this weakness. It seems obvious to me that they need a bit more practice at it despite however much time they may or may not have put in.

What will work zone wise are partial zones (which you will see by some good defensive teams) or situational zones where you throw a curve ball at a team for a possession or two (out of deadballs where they have a set play called...or just in the middle of the action). As A Mad Chinaman said above, with our already serious defensive rebounding issues...a zone is only going to make that problem worse. So, I wouldn't look for it to really help any of our problems. But as you said, practicing against it more would help a lot.

Quote:

2) Would you be in favor of starting Sasha over Smush?
I am no Sasha fan and I have tried to be fair in my assessments of Smush, but last night was just too much for me to take again with Smush. I guess to be honest, it is getting harder for me to decide if it is Smush or Cook causing the most damage to the Lakers when they are out there. At least Cook isn't starting.

I don't think shuffling the starting PGs we have will make a huge difference. What we need is better play than Smush, Sasha and a rookie Farmar are providing. You can shuffle the deck a little, but it's not going to put this team on a different level any time soon.

Our problems in the last game were a Smush/Phil issue. If Smush is playing those sequences against Snow stupidly, you need to tell him or remove him. And if Smush doesn't know better...that's what should happen...and someone needs to get into his head to Know his Opponent.

In the playoffs, that shouldn't be a problem. I think we will be very aware of who the opponent is. But what is going to happen? We are going to have Smush or Sasha out on an island defending the pick and roll...maybe even switching on bigger players. And it will happen with the game on the line. We're going to have our hands full no matter who is out there between our realtively green PG contingent. Phil will just have to make sure he's got the best match up for the moment and has those guys knowing exactly how they want to play it. And, hopefully, we're healthy.

This could be all a moot point real soon here if we make a trade for a Kidd...or a player who can D-up at the 1-2-3 spots who will make a bigger impact in those situations than our current group. Then, we'll have other problems to worry about.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject:

I'm tired of guys like Verajao. Dude is just Fortson except they let him throw people around. On that rebound of James' FT, he fouled 3 people! Got 2 charges by sliding sideways. Pushes grabs and bulldozes for virtually every rebound. If Mihm played like that, he'd foul out in 5 minutes.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
I don't think shuffling the starting PGs we have will make a huge difference. What we need is better play than Smush, Sasha and a rookie Farmar are providing. You can shuffle the deck a little, but it's not going to put this team on a different level any time soon.

Our problems in the last game were a Smush/Phil issue. If Smush is playing those sequences against Snow stupidly, you need to tell him or remove him. And if Smush doesn't know better...that's what should happen...and someone needs to get into his head to Know his Opponent.

In the playoffs, that shouldn't be a problem. I think we will be very aware of who the opponent is. But what is going to happen? We are going to have Smush or Sasha out on an island defending the pick and roll...maybe even switching on bigger players. And it will happen with the game on the line. We're going to have our hands full no matter who is out there between our realtively green PG contingent. Phil will just have to make sure he's got the best match up for the moment and has those guys knowing exactly how they want to play it. And, hopefully, we're healthy.

This could be all a moot point real soon here if we make a trade for a Kidd...or a player who can D-up at the 1-2-3 spots who will make a bigger impact in those situations than our current group. Then, we'll have other problems to worry about.
With the assumption that there will not be any major trades made by the Lakers, what do you feel the alternatives are?

Any player left on an island will be in trouble, as we have seen players like Tony Parker get torched. What is good about Tony Parker/Steve Nash, Jason Terry, Mo Williams-type players is that they keep on attacking on their end of the court - of which, we don't see Smush doing this at all. As noted by Chris Webber about the defense that the Pistons play - they don't leave anybody out on an island all by themselves.

During the Shaq/Kobe reign - players like DFish, Rick Fox, RHarper, BShaw, Horry, Rice, etc. were not great one-on-one defenders. They were, however, hard-nosed players that adhered and played effectively within Phil's defensive schemes that funnel opposing PGs to the "help" defenders. One wonders how long it will take and/or who it will take for the Lakers to embrace Phil's effective defensive schemes?

DB - why is Smush having problems embracing Phil's defensive schemes? He should know the system well by now, but he hasn't shown the fire to "get after it" when it's "crunch time."

DB - how long before you feel Sasha will be able to effectively play "starters minutes" - given that he is still only 22 and was the "Kobe" in the European Leagues?

DB - how many ears before Jordan will consistently play starters minutes? It appears to be at least one or two years away. A lineup of Jordan/Sasha/Kobe/LO/Bynum could be a very effective lineup. With reserves such as Luke, Evans, Vlad, etc. will provide a strong team coming off the bench.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: