Computer maintenance
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
Slightly off topic but right now is the absolute worst time to buy/upgrade PCs. There's a severe raw materials shortage as demand has gone through the roof. Certain components are being sold on the aftermarket for 2-3x their original msrp. I was told I would would be getting some of the parts I've been waitlisted on on since November in January but its June now I'm just left wondering if I'm even on the list anymore.

A lot of things are coming back down to earth. Ryzen chips are starting to be readily available at msrp. Same with the power supply shortage earlier in the year. Sourcing a platinum SFX power supply was impossible in January but all over the place now. Video cards on the other hand are getting worse and worse. Remember when people were asking a few hundred over MSRP? Man, I miss those days . 3080 ti got released today and you can see them all over Craigstlist for $3000-$3500. Bananas.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:18 am    Post subject:

By the By; I've done some research and found that turning a computer off subjects it to powerup surges. It suggested to shut down new computers once a week, older and refurbished, not as often.

My new routine is to put Brenda to sleep at night rather than shutting her down.

I'm fairly well versed in how to manipulate a computer. I've become interested in maintenance. That's the reason I started this thread.

I've used some of the suggestions and started to do some research. My refurbished computer is running with more efficiency and surfing quicker than it did when I bought it.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject:

jodeke, I think "sleep mode" is a good option. I leave my desktop on, continuously . . . only shut it down when Windows 10 freezes (almost never) or when I have to reboot (to finish a software update).

Since I am constantly downloading movies and other torrents, I don't like to turn off my computer.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject:

I found this on updating windows.
Quote:

Windows updates is completely optional and in no way required. It does not make your computer any safer (firewall/anti-virus do that). Any update you may actually need can be downloaded on its own when you buy new software/hardware. Windows update is far more likely to break your computer than keep it safe.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject:

I disabled my Windows Update (maybe) a year ago.

I have been fine without it.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject:

Windows 10's Ugly Updates Just Got Uglier. Here's How To Stay Safe by Disabling Automatic Updates

This article is more than 2 years old.

Apr 25, 2019,07:00am EDT|27,012 views

LINK

This is what I've done to windows updates

Disabling updates for the Home edition of Windows 10

Users of the Home edition of Windows 10 can’t permanently disable updates but they can put the update process on hold for a period of time.

1. Press the Windows key and “R”.
2. Enter “services.msc” in the box.
3. Scroll down and double click “Windows Update”.
4. Select “Disabled” in the “Startup type” dropdown box.
5. Click “Apply” and “OK”

This procedure only disables updates for an unknown period of time. It’s recommended that you check back frequently to see if Windows re-enabled automatic updates and check for security updates while automatic updates are disabled.

Last edited by jodeke on Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:15 am; edited 4 times in total
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject:

I found an online (registry) "hack" . . . and disabled my Windows Updates permanently.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
I found an online (registry) "hack" . . . and disabled my Windows Updates permanently.

According to the article, you should check frequently to see if it's still disabled. Do you or have you found a way to permanently disable updates?

Quote:
This procedure only disables updates for an unknown period of time. It’s recommended that you check back frequently to see if Windows re-enabled automatic updates and check for security updates while automatic updates are disabled.

Last edited by jodeke on Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:37 am; edited 2 times in total
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject:

The hack I found has been in effect for about a year . . . and so far, I have been able to avoid any Windows 10 updates, since I did the hack. I don't remember where I found the hack, and I would not recommend that most casual users do what I did. I'm sometimes kind of an idiot . . . with my PC, but I'm still here!

leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
nickuku wrote:
Slightly off topic but right now is the absolute worst time to buy/upgrade PCs. There's a severe raw materials shortage as demand has gone through the roof. Certain components are being sold on the aftermarket for 2-3x their original msrp. I was told I would would be getting some of the parts I've been waitlisted on on since November in January but its June now I'm just left wondering if I'm even on the list anymore.

A lot of things are coming back down to earth. Ryzen chips are starting to be readily available at msrp. Same with the power supply shortage earlier in the year. Sourcing a platinum SFX power supply was impossible in January but all over the place now. Video cards on the other hand are getting worse and worse. Remember when people were asking a few hundred over MSRP? Man, I miss those days . 3080 ti got released today and you can see them all over Craigstlist for $3000-$3500. Bananas.

Yeah - I'm dying to build / buy a new PC. I may end up doing a Ryzen 5600X build, and then just using a cheap GPU as a "stopgap" until the great GPU's become more available.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject:

I YouTubed a video on building computers. It's interesting. I may tackle building my own one day. LINK

I have Avast Premium Cleanup. Do any have it? If so how do you like it?

BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject:

If you're going to be disabling Windows updates, you better be damn sure you know what you're doing. For the average user, that is PC suicide imo.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:25 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
If you're going to be disabling Windows updates, you better be damn sure you know what you're doing. For the average user, that is PC suicide imo.

Windows updates fixes bugs and/or exploitable holes in security. It would be incredibly stupid to turn it off if you have no idea what you're doing.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject:

Back to topic

Like I said previously. Bloatware that "speeds up" your computer isn't really necessary and in a lot of cases slows down your computer a lot depending on your hardware. The older your hardware is the slow down is going to be worse. The general consensus around the PC community is this to a staggering degree. Common sense is the biggest tool in your arsenal.

For the record I've probably built over 50 computers and fixed hundreds computers for family and friends so I do have a ton of experience. I've stopped doing it because almost everyone doesn't appreciate the time it takes to diagnose and fix PC problems.

I remember remember fixing my cousin's computer that would randomly crash. I probably spent around 8 hours on it and found out that a motherboard screw was screwed in with a wrong type of screw and was causing random shorts. His response when I fixed it? Wow that problem was so simple....why did it take you so long? Like okay (bleep), almost every PC shop wouldn't have even caught that and you didn't even buy me dinner or a drink. Rant over

Last edited by nickuku on Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I found this on updating windows.
Quote:

Windows updates is completely optional and in no way required. It does not make your computer any safer (firewall/anti-virus do that). Any update you may actually need can be downloaded on its own when you buy new software/hardware. Windows update is far more likely to break your computer than keep it safe.

Maybe on Windows 98... it is true that vpn proxy firewall etc are important but if you miss a security patch that covers and exploit or vulnerability than that is bad

Windows Defender AV system is actually well rated IIRC
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I YouTubed a video on building computers. It's interesting. I may tackle building my own one day. LINK

I don't have AV or Firewall or proxy etc and never an infection just using the windows installed version

DO IT...

Go buy a cheap used PC off Craigslist and format the hard drive
.It will be very good for you.

Download Windows 10 iso and install away.. start the journey of updating BIOS etc and all drivers from AMD or Intel
easiest way to do this is download it with your phone.. and usb it over to your hard drive 64 bit version
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Have a usb 3.0+ Thumb drive available
After you download
Win10_21H1_English_x64.iso
download
https://github.com/pbatard/rufus/releases/download/v3.14/rufus-3.14.exe

Insert usb drive
double click rufus
find the iso
default settings work 90% of the time

After rufus is done put the thumb drive in the craigslist computer and turn it on
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I don't have AV or Firewall or proxy etc and never an infection just using the windows installed version

DO IT...

Download Windows 10 iso and install away.. start the journey of updating BIOS etc and all drivers from AMD or Intel
easiest way to do this is download it with your phone.. and usb it over to your hard drive 64 bit version

After you download
download

Insert usb drive
double click rufus
find the iso

After rufus is done put the thumb drive in the craigslist computer and turn it on

Carve that on a stone tablet and have a sauropod deliver it to Jodeke.

On a serious note PC building is fun. It's not too hard, you learn a new skillset and will be able to solve your own problems in the future.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
ContagiousInspiration wrote:
jodeke wrote:

DO IT...

After you download
download

Insert usb drive
double click rufus
find the iso

Carve that on a stone tablet and have a sauropod deliver it to Jodeke.

On a serious note PC building is fun. It's not too hard, you learn a new skillset and will be able to solve your own problems in the future.

Connecting with The Three Wise Men now... betting they can get it delivered to him
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:14 pm    Post subject:

You guys say what you will. I like Avast Cleanup Premium. I just ran it.

Before Used Space 46.7GB After 40.7GB
Before Free Space 883GB After 889GB.

My old machine is moving faster. Can't remember exactly when I bought it, I think about 4 years ago. I have a refurbished HP Tower. I don't remember exactly, I think I paid $275.00 for it. It's catlike quick. Changes screens in a flash. I run the program once a week.

Avast Cleanup Premium lets you improve PC performance and speed up your PC in several ways: Detect and remove junk files that take up space on your PC to make your hard drive more efficient. Put background processes to sleep so they don't steal your PC's resources from the apps you're actually using.

Avast Cleanup Review (From an Honest and Trusted Expert)

I don't say what I'm saying because of advertising. I understand advertising is for sales. I'm posting from experience and eye tests.

LINK

LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:29 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
You guys say what you will. I like Avast Cleanup Premium. I just ran it.

Before Free Space 883GB After 889GB.

My old machine is moving faster. Can't remember exactly when I bought it, I think about 4 years ago. I have a refurbished HP Tower. I don't remember exactly, I think I paid $275.00 for it. It's catlike quick. Changes screens in a flash. I run the program once a week.

Avast Cleanup Premium lets you improve PC performance and speed up your PC in several ways: Detect and remove junk files that take up space on your PC to make your hard drive more efficient. Put background processes to sleep so they don't steal your PC's resources from the apps you're actually using.

Avast Cleanup Review (From an Honest and Trusted Expert)

I don't say what I'm saying because of advertising. I understand advertising is for sales. I'm posting from experience and eye tests.

LINK

If it's faster, it's most likely the putting apps to sleep portion. Freeing up 6GB when there's 883 free won't do much. Maybe optimizing the files for the 1st time in 4 years might be noticeable if you have a slower than average physical HDD. But with that much free space files should be pretty contiguous on disk.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:01 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

That's a lot of celebrity porn and browser toolbars.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:12 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
jodeke wrote:

jodeke can free up a lot of space by deleting those celebrity videos and browsing pr0nhub, instead.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:01 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I don't download porn. If I did I have Avast Premium Security it blocks viruses. My IPTV provider gives me free porn. Don't watch it much. I've gotten too old for that $hit.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:03 am    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
C M B wrote:
jodeke wrote:

jodeke can free up a lot of space by deleting those celebrity videos and browsing pr0nhub, instead.

FB you must have top-of-line virus protection. You're posts indicate you're a Dirty Old Man!

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:25 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
FB you must have top-of-line virus protection. You're posts indicate you're a Dirty Old Man!

I recently deleted over 300 GB of "videos" . . . and do the online browsing thing, instead.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: