Dodgers 2021 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 105, 106, 107 ... 393, 394, 395  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:06 pm    Post subject:

I think the front office tried to acquire a closer during the trade deadline but the price was too high so they gave Roberts an edict to use Make Treinen the closer now.

It’s such a coincidence that this switch comes immediately after the trade deadline.

And I can’t see Roberts making this change on his own. I really think this came from Friedman.

Seems like the front office really wants to win the title this year, more than the players and Roberts.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

ChickenStu wrote:
Well, we got it to extras. Need to buck the trend here.

Gotta figure we’re due, right?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

oasisdude77 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Well, we got it to extras. Need to buck the trend here.

Gotta figure we’re due, right?

Problem is, we have 3 outs and 1 of them is Bellinger
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:09 pm    Post subject:

The good news is..even if pollock had a productive out Cody’s pop up wouldn’t have brought him home. At least we didn’t have to sit through that.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:10 pm    Post subject:

He really is an automatic out. It's sad. And of course we didn't advance the runner anyway and part of that is because our catcher is the runner at 2nd base.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:12 pm    Post subject:

The vaunted Matt Peacock shuts us down 1-2-3.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject:

You have to walk Vanmeter here. If asdrubal moves the runners you load em up. I hope Doc is thinking the same.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject:

Want Cody off the team (or at least to not get playing time). To keep playing an "auto out" like him just flat out looses you games. I really wonder how many games we've lost just because of him.

Last edited by leor_77 on Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject:

Can’t even move the runner over. Should have had Bellinger bunt or something
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject:

Look at how lucky they are. They get their fastest runner at 2nd because the pitcher's spot was up last in the last inning. Who do we get? Our catcher.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
You have to walk Vanmeter here. If asdrubal moves the runners you load em up. I hope Doc is thinking the same.

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:18 pm    Post subject:

Absolute f'ing clockwork.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:18 pm    Post subject:

1-11 in extras. This stupid rule can’t go away fast enough, but this team doesn’t have a clutch bone this year
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:19 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Want Cody off the team (or at least to not get playing time). To keep playing an "auto out" like him just flat out looses you games. I really wonder how many games we've lost just because of him.

Yeah if every out is important, Bellinger’s an automatic 4 to 5 outs every game.

Only hit I can remember from him is when we were up 7-0.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject:

Watch us win 23-0 tomorrow...
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:29 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Watch us win 23-0 tomorrow...

I can easily seeing us blowing them out tomorrow. And I also can see us winning this division but the fact remains there was no need to make it this hard. Happens in sports all the time..you don’t execute and do the simple things and wait too long..before you know it it’s too late.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:30 pm    Post subject:

What was it, two or three years ago when this teams slogan/rallying cry was ‘#this team’?

Now it’s more like ‘this (bleeping piece of crap) team’

Seriously, I’ve never seen so many infuriating losses in recent memory

Scherzer is probably watching this and thinking ‘what the hell did I get myself into?’

Cody needs to be sent down. It needs to be done, already. I’d rather have DFA’d DJ Peters at bat than Cody.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:33 pm    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:
What was it, two or three years ago when this teams slogan/rallying cry was ‘#this team’?

Scherzer is probably watching this and thinking ‘what the hell did I get myself into?’

Cody needs to be sent down. It needs to be done, already. I’d rather have DFA’d DJ Peters at bat than Cody.

I’m always rooting for the kid..every AB..but it’s getting hard man.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:49 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:

Same. I love the guy. He came through with that hide go ahead homer in game 7 of the NLCS and such a fun, likable guy but enough is enough.

If he can’t take the free base by bunting against the shift then he needs to sit or get sent down to build himself back up.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:00 pm    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:
Snipes wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:

Same. I love the guy. He came through with that hide go ahead homer in game 7 of the NLCS and such a fun, likable guy but enough is enough.

If he can’t take the free base by bunting against the shift then he needs to sit or get sent down to build himself back up.

Yup, team before any individual. This includes Jansen.

If you’re hurting the team, you gotta go away for awhile and get right..
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:08 am    Post subject:

What a horrible loss last night. No matter what we do we can't seem to gain ground on the Giants. Still 3 games behind in the loss column. Blown opportunity.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
What a horrible loss last night. No matter what we do we can't seem to gain ground on the Giants. Still 3 games behind in the loss column. Blown opportunity.

I feel like we’ve been saying that a lot over these last few weeks. The last two weeks have been a big blown opportunity.

Then the fact that we’re 1-11 in extra inning games. I mean come on! If we just go 5-6, we’re in first place by 2 games.

Terrible, terrible baseball.

Trea Turner can’t get in this lineup fast enough

Same with Danny Duffy.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:37 am    Post subject:

Dropping Cody and his negative .5 WAR to the seventh spot doesn't help. Maybe he should bat tenth.

(If the dollar value of one WAR is approximately $8M, and he make $16M, then he owes the Dodgers about $20M for this season.)
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject:

Early June news:
Quote:
Dodgers News: Dave Roberts Believes Cody Bellinger Is ‘Close’ To Finding Swing

June 11, 2021

“I see compete, I see approach. I think he’s just missing some pitches that he can and will handle here shortly,” Roberts said before Thursday’s game against the Pittsburgh Pirates.

“I think Cody’s close. It’s not to make any excuses, but his presence in the lineup is very important, his presence in center field is very important to us, and it was a shorter rehab assignment. We recalled him because of a certain need and obviously he makes our club better.

“He’ll continue to get at-bats and he’ll perform. I’m not worried about that at all. I think it’s just more of logging at-bats. The more at-bats you take consistently, sometimes it just takes one swing, one at-bat, one game, where something clicks and you go, ‘There it is.’ It’s close. It’ll be there.”

Nearly 2 months later....

Quote:
Bellinger's fastball problems

Coming into the season, the defending World Series champion Dodgers were again expected to win the NL West, which would give them nine straight division titles. They are currently in second place and within striking distance of the first-place Giants, and one key reason they're not in first place is Cody Bellinger. He's been hurt and ineffective this season.

Bellinger missed close to two months with a hairline fracture in his left leg after a seemingly mild collision at first base in his team's fifth game of the season, and then missed about two weeks with a hamstring issue last month. In 39 games around the injuries, Bellinger has hit a weak .161/.282/.270 with the highest strikeout (27.0 percent) and swinging strike (13.7 percent) rates of his career. It has been a battle all year.

Bellinger's problems are numerous. He's hitting a ton -- a TON -- of popups, suggesting he's gotten too long and too uppercutty with his swing. All those popups are easy outs, hence Bellinger's career worst .198 batting average on balls in play. Also, after hitting a home run on 21.2 percent of his fly balls from 2017-20, it's only 9.1 this year. Popups are production killers and Bellinger's frustration is showing. From this past weekend at Coors Field:

There have also been problems with the fastball. Bellinger is hitting a weak .141 with a .333 slugging percentage against fastballs this season. The MLB averages are .262 and .441, respectively, and during his MVP season in 2019, Bellinger hit .327 and slugged .661 on fastballs. Also, Bellinger is missing with 27.5 percent of his swings against fastballs. It was 19.7 percent from 2019-20 and the MLB average is 21.2 percent.

Everything in this game starts with the fastball. If you can't hit it, you're pretty much useless at the plate in an era in which every pitching staff has multiple guys throwing 95-plus mph.

Right now, Bellinger can't hit the fastball, and he's popping up way too many hittable pitches rather than driving them on a line.

Bellinger is a tinkerer and he's tinkered with his batting stance in recent weeks. Most notably, he's spread his legs a bit and opened his stance more, giving him a wider base. It hasn't worked, but he's trying. Bellinger's struggles are not the result of a lack of effort. He got a late start on spring training following offseason shoulder surgery, then had his season interrupted by two injuries. As he gets more at-bats under his belt, he should look more like the real Cody Bellinger, and the Dodgers need it to happen soon.

"I see some really good at-bats in there, I see some at-bats that are not so good," Roberts recently told reporters, including Blake Williams of Dodger Blue. "So I think for Cody, it's just more of the abbreviated spring training, the start-stop with the season, and hitting is hard."

Dave Roberts went from Bellinger being “close to turning it around” to “hitting is hard.”
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject:

Belli needs ABs. He can have them down in Oklahoma. Right now it’s costing the team.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 105, 106, 107 ... 393, 394, 395  Next
Page 106 of 395
Jump to: