WAYNE ELLINGTON Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject:

twisted wrote:
I really want him to start and take that KCP role. Any chance this happens?

Can't defend like KCP.

I picture him coming off the bench. Maybe running that simple two-man stuff with LeBron where teams try not to switch off LeBron, but Ellington's elite shooting forces them to or they get burned (we ran that with Wes last year, maybe AC some). Or working that corner sequence we try to free him up for a shot there. If we can hide him just enough in matchups, he can be productive. If an opposing teams tries to hide one of their stars on him (to avoid Russ), I'd love if we had some plays where Ellington is moving off screens and making them work off ball. We didn't do a lot of that and I imagine we won't with both LeBron/Russ.

Definitely need lights out shooters on the floor if we run Howard/Russ combo. Some second unit stints where you have LBJ or Russ and Gasol, Ellington to space the floor maybe.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject:

Kobetan wrote:
twisted wrote:

Going to be fighting against Bazemore for a starting spot as it currently stands. I think Bazemore has the edge, he even said he expects a big role on the team

Yeah, I think Baze takes that spot in the rotation ahead of Ellington. And who knows if someone else isn't coming in ahead of them.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject:

Best free agency pickup for the Lakers so far. Welcome to a much needed versatile shooter.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Wayne Ellington highlights
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:44 am    Post subject:

It's like a family reunion, all these former Lakers coming back for another go.

Welcome back Wayne!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject:

twisted wrote:

KCP and Ellington are nothing alike.

Ellington is a great shooter and terrible defender.

Far from starting, my guess is his defense will keep him out of the rotation, and he'll be a situational player. I suspect he'll log a lot of DNP-CD.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject:

OMG, Pelinka got the memo - This team needs shooters...

Once again...I ask you, Laker fans, can you agree, Pelinka has brought this team some shooters?

Damn!!!

There are like 6-7 guys now that can hit a consistent open shot....we had almost none of that last year and barely any the year before.

This team is looking outright deadly.

Post up Lebron, Davis and Westbrook and throw the ball out to the open 3. Yikes. I love it!!!!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:

Once again...I ask you, Laker fans, can you agree, Pelinka has brought this team some shooters?

Damn!!!

There are like 6-7 guys now that can hit a consistent open shot....we had almost none of that last year and barely any the year before.

Post up Lebron, Davis and Westbrook and throw the ball out to the open 3. Yikes. I love it!!!!

It will be interesting to see how it all pans out. We added a hodgepodge of guys who could go a lot of different directions.

When you go shopping for shooters in the bargain bin, there are always compromises.

--We have shooters who can't play defense (Ellington) so they may not get much run.

--We have guys who shot way above their career norms last year (Bazemore, Monk) and could easily go back to their average or below-average shooting.

--We have guys who are somehow perceived as good shooters but are actually average (Ariza).

Last season, we were 22nd in the league in 3-point shooting, and I wouldn't be surprised to see us go down from that this year.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
anth2000 wrote:

Damn!!!

It will be interesting to see how it all pans out. We added a hodgepodge of guys who could go a lot of different directions.

When you go shopping for shooters in the bargain bin, there are always compromises.

--We have shooters who can't play defense (Ellington) so they may not get much run.

--We have guys who shot way above their career norms last year (Bazemore, Monk) and could easily go back to their average or below-average shooting.

--We have guys who are somehow perceived as good shooters but are actually average (Ariza).

Last season, we were 22nd in the league in 3-point shooting, and I wouldn't be surprised to see us go down from that this year.

No way in hell we drop down from 22nd. We just brought in a slew of decent 3-pt shooters. I would expect they go up, not down.
Lakeshow23_
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
anth2000 wrote:

Damn!!!

https://twitter.com/Tim_NBA/status/1422979809295183873?s=20
Melo, Ellington, and Monk all shot the ball extremely well on very difficult attempts. Monk had a career year but he was a 40 3p% and 82 FT% player in college, he always profiled to be a great shooter. This isn't a Dennis scenario where a non-shooter had a stellar shooting season in his 7th season.

I think Ellington, Nunn, Melo, and Monk are better, more versatile and more willing shooters than any player that the team is losing. Baze might be on the same level as KCP.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject:

If he shoots for the Lakers like he has shot in the past, it is a tremendous pickup.

The identity of this year's team will be different from the title season and last season. This team won't be as good defensively based on projections, but the 3 pt shooting would appear to be vastly improved and we did add two future Hall of Fame players in addition to the two Hall of Fame players that were already on the roster.

I really like what Pelinka has done, the Westbrook deal was a bit strange but that may have been more about off loading multiple guys at once to free up the space to make moves.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Interesting stat:

He played 20 less games than KCP, but had 2 more games (14 vs 12) where he made 4 or more threes, including one stretch where he went seven consecutive games making 4 or more threes.
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject:

Lakeshow23_ wrote:
activeverb wrote:
anth2000 wrote:

Damn!!!

https://twitter.com/Tim_NBA/status/1422979809295183873?s=20
Melo, Ellington, and Monk all shot the ball extremely well on very difficult attempts. Monk had a career year but he was a 40 3p% and 82 FT% player in college, he always profiled to be a great shooter. This isn't a Dennis scenario where a non-shooter had a stellar shooting season in his 7th season.

I think Ellington, Nunn, Melo, and Monk are better, more versatile and more willing shooters than any player that the team is losing. Baze might be on the same level as KCP.

Reading up on Monk and most Hornet fans thought he was either hot or cold and would need shots to get going on most nights. I think Wayne is the only guy who can consistently drain open 3's on command. With Westbrook/AD/Lebron, not many shots will be available for players to get their groove on.

Besides Wayne, Melo might be the only other one who can hit 3's without needing many attempts.

Nunn/Monk can get hot but will need shots
Wayne/Melo can hit open 3's in limited attempts
Baze/Ariza will be average or below average.

We might struggle again but will probably be better than last year.
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Love it!

LUke kennard got 60 million and is worse on defense
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:25 pm    Post subject:

3llington (Threelington)
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Bill Oram
@billoram

Wayne Ellington: "When you sign up for this team you have to have a mind of what the ultimate goal is ... I think guys are gonna be willing to sacrifice, guys are gonna be willing to do whatever's necessary to win games."

I'm hearing a common theme, and I'm loving it! From Dwight and now Wayne. So different from hearing "I will be the starter" talk from last year.
πŸ’œπŸ’› πŸ† πŸ‘€ πŸ– #18!!!
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:46 pm    Post subject:

I think he starts, he’s the best 3-point shooter in the team of makes, attempts, and percentage.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:01 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
Quote:
Bill Oram
@billoram

Wayne Ellington: "When you sign up for this team you have to have a mind of what the ultimate goal is ... I think guys are gonna be willing to sacrifice, guys are gonna be willing to do whatever's necessary to win games."

I'm hearing a common theme, and I'm loving it! From Dwight and now Wayne. So different from hearing "I will be the starter" talk from last year.

It wasn’t just Dennis, but Trez as well. One took Danny Greens spot. The other guys Dwight. And we never really replaced Rondo off the bench. Lost a lot of players there who had character and intangibles. Not to mention certain skills that complement the team.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:28 am    Post subject:

Ellington can shoot 3s and defend ok.
He most likely will be the starting SG.

But Bazrmore should start if defense is needed.

Now to find a defensive forward.
Help if there is injury.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/showtime_forum/status/1425916076232040450?s=21
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject:

Ellington should be a valuable member because of one reason.
He is a lights out shooter along with Melo.
The Lakers have not had these kind of shooters in a long time.

Now the question is is their defense going to be a liability?
Or can Vogel find a way to mask it.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject:

I remember when Wayne was on the team last time we started off every game with him taking a 3pt shot as a set play. It was kind of fun because it seemed to work more times than not.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
It's like a family reunion, all these former Lakers coming back for another go.

Welcome back Wayne!

Didn't know Ellington was a former Laker.

Remember Ariza for some critical shots in the past.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject:

laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject:

Can hardly wait to see Ellington and Melo shoot.

Have not seen them shoot before except in some highlights.
They have not played for the Lakers so haven't seen them.

But from what everyone says they are elite shooters.
The Lakers have not had an elite shooter since Kobe.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: