Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Winston looked good in the 1st half.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:08 pm    Post subject:

Geno was as awful as awful could be as the game went on. Yikes. Seattle is going to be out of it when Wilson returns, and since he already has been waffling with wanting out, you have to wonder if he's going to push to return as quickly as possible on a team that's going nowhere this season.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject:

That was a pretty crappy game last night. I was hoping that Geno would turn his career around and prove to be a positive reclamation story, but alas he's the same Geno on the field.

The Saints lost some talent in the offseason, but they had good depth and very good coaching. That won't be enough. Brady should carve them up with a passing attack Sunday, but I suspect they'll make the game closer than it needs to be by leaning on their rather so-so running game. This Buc infatuation with the running game is strange to me, neither Fournette nor RoJo are anything special, they're simply average RBs who play behind a line that doesn't consistently create opportunities. And yet they consistently go with them when they could just put games away with their passing attack. The only logical conclusion is that they try to build a lead in the first half and then lean on using the clock against their opponent in the second half. Given their decimated defensive secondary, that approach only provides an incentive for the opposing team to exploit the Buc weakness at pass defense.

I think the Saints should rely on more of a passing attack, which means unshackling Winston for a change. Sean Payton has been keeping Winston in check the entire season, Sunday might be a good day to try surprising Tampa Bay and exploiting their weak pass defense. Use Kamara on the short passes and hope they get lucky on some of the longer pass plays. The latter will be the wild card for both teams as the New Orleans receivers are a just a sorry ass as the Buc defensive secondary.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
The league figured how to play the Chiefs, no doubt probably from watching the Super Bowl from last year.

I think a lot of this is true. They are doubling Kelce and Hill whenever possible and forcing the Chiefs to check the ball down.

The rebuilt OLine has not been good and the defense has been a shambles. No doubt Mahomes is forcing plays at times now, he is sensing the season slipping away. That hit he took on Sunday was brutal, a reminder that even the QB's playing careful not to get hit can still get brutalized when they forget that and aren't careful enough to give up on a doomed play.

I don't think it is the Chiefs year which is unfortunate since Mahomes is my Fantasy QB

Kelce is by far their most dangerous weapon. Teams have gone with two safeties, one providing bracket coverage on Hill. Kelce is the greater challenge, the variable being the ability of their LBs to provide coverage. Outside of Kelce and Hill, the Chiefs lack a quality target. Despite his speed, Hardman hasn't produced and their latest reclamation project Josh Gordon looked pretty washed as a Patriot and Seahawk.

Above all Mahomes has lost his mojo. Some of it is on him, some of it is on his offensive line. As I mentioned a couple of times both before the season and during the season, the armchair analysts were giving KC too many high fives on reconstructing their offensive line. Their LT is more of a RT and he's far better at run blocking than pass blocking, and their RT is a borderline starter. I do think the KC OL will improve as the season progresses, OLs need time to gel.

Despite their choppy pass protection, Mahomes has to stop those seven step (and more) drops on pass plays. Since the strength of their O line is on the inside, it makes sense for him to move up into the pocket as plays develop, rather than allow the EDGE defenders to chase him down like a hunted rabbit. That's not a skill set that you can nurture overnight, but that is something Reid & Co. have to work on ASAP.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
That was a pretty crappy game last night. I was hoping that Geno would turn his career around and prove to be a positive reclamation story, but alas he's the same Geno on the field.

The Saints lost some talent in the offseason, but they had good depth and very good coaching. That won't be enough. Brady should carve them up with a passing attack Sunday, but I suspect they'll make the game closer than it needs to be by leaning on their rather so-so running game. This Buc infatuation with the running game is strange to me, neither Fournette nor RoJo are anything special, they're simply average RBs who play behind a line that doesn't consistently create opportunities. And yet they consistently go with them when they could just put games away with their passing attack. The only logical conclusion is that they try to build a lead in the first half and then lean on using the clock against their opponent in the second half. Given their decimated defensive secondary, that approach only provides an incentive for the opposing team to exploit the Buc weakness at pass defense.

I think the Saints should rely on more of a passing attack, which means unshackling Winston for a change. Sean Payton has been keeping Winston in check the entire season, Sunday might be a good day to try surprising Tampa Bay and exploiting their weak pass defense. Use Kamara on the short passes and hope they get lucky on some of the longer pass plays. The latter will be the wild card for both teams as the New Orleans receivers are a just a sorry ass as the Buc defensive secondary.

This season the Saints are built around their defense, which is the top red zone defense in the league. Their offense is also top red zone in the league but I agree, they are going to need Winston to win some games for them rather than just not lose them. They occasionally take that deep shot but definitely need to explore that option more.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject:

Mahomes is going through a slump which happens to every quarterback. He has made some boneheaded throws this year which I can't defend. But the real problem for KC is their defense which currently ranks dead last in points allowed per drive. Not every quarterback has an elite defense to fall back on when they aren't playing their best. Regardless Mahomes will be Mahomes again, but KC defense will still be garbage.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject:

Mahomes' poor pocket presence was exposed during the Super Bowl. He was fine as long as he had two good OTs protecting him from the EDGE. When he did escape the pocket, his ability to make accurate throws at crazy angles demonstrated an incredible strength. It also hid an alarming weakness. Mahomes has to learn how to function within the confines of the pocket, and become aware of pressure within that pocket.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Mahomes' poor pocket presence was exposed during the Super Bowl. He was fine as long as he had two good OTs protecting him from the EDGE. When he did escape the pocket, his ability to make accurate throws at crazy angles demonstrated an incredible strength. It also hid an alarming weakness. Mahomes has to learn how to function within the confines of the pocket, and become aware of pressure within that pocket.

And right on cue, Mahomes "gets it":

Quote:
Mahomes said of what went wrong against the Titans. "It's hanging in the pocket, working on my footwork, staying on time, all that stuff like that.

"You see it kind of get me in certain games every single year, and it's something I have to go back to and learn from and be better at. There were times where I maybe could have stepped and found a soft spot in the pocket where [instead] I kind of got out of there and tried to make something happen. ... Whenever we don't get going as an offense, it's usually because I'm doing little things like that."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32496514/patrick-mahomes-tells-kansas-city-chiefs-teammates-got-better

It won't happen overnight, but he's young, self-reflective and wants to improve his craft. His offensive line is a work in progress but it will improve.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject:

This WFT/Gruden/Allen story is going to get dirty
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject:

What a game.
Packers give the Cardinals their first loss with a timely INT to end the game.
Roger O. Thornhill
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject:

Well that was a frustrating and weird game.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:31 pm    Post subject:

I thought this would be an easy W for the Cards, but it looked like Murray was struggling some sans D-Hop. Rodgers for his part played a sub par game, but I felt that he managed it well and made enough plays in crucial spots. I've never bought into Arizona as an elite team in the NFC, definitely a very good team, but they are still a step below Green Bay, Tampa Bay and LA rams.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject:

Had A.J. Green and Kyler Murray been on the same page the Cardinals may have won the game? If Green turns around it's almost a sure 6. All he would have had to do was catch a perfectly placed pass. Rasul Douglas was behind him. An attempt to keep Green from catching the ball may have resulted in PI.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Saints own Tampa Bay.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject:

Dak Prescott not playing tonight, strained calf muscle.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Jameis looks like he's out for the season. I'm going to call it right now: the Saints lure Philip Rivers out of retirement to play for them.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Saints own Tampa Bay.

Except when it matters (last year in playoffs)! Honestly, Brady put up a bunch of yards, but something was off with him yesterday from the beginning of the game. He just looked like he was not wanting to be there.....did not look focused. Maybe he was looking ahead to the bye week. I think his 3 TO's served as evidence of my observation....
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Geno was as awful as awful could be as the game went on. Yikes. Seattle is going to be out of it when Wilson returns, and since he already has been waffling with wanting out, you have to wonder if he's going to push to return as quickly as possible on a team that's going nowhere this season.

He played much better yesterday, and honestly I am not sure any QB would have did well last weekend for Seattle. Geno was under constant pressure. The broadcast team was even talking about it yesterday saying it had been a while since they saw a QB under such constant pressure as Geno was last weekend. I did not watch much Seattle this year until Geno took over, but their OLine is terrible.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Jameis looks like he's out for the season. I'm going to call it right now: the Saints lure Philip Rivers out of retirement to play for them.

fwiw, the play he was injured on was called a horse collar tackle.....but that was not a horse collar tackle at least how it was always defined during my playing days.

Image of tackle
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

fwiw, the play he was injured on was called a horse collar tackle.....but that was not a horse collar tackle at least how it was always defined during my playing days.

Image of tackle

I thought the same thing until I watched THIS Matt Hasselbeck's "Horse Collar" Tackle GIF'd Look to me like Hasselbeck had, I think, Khalil Herbert, by the numbers.

Quote:
The horse-collar tackle is an American football maneuver in which a defender tackles another player by grabbing the back collar or the back-inside of an opponent's shoulder pads and pulling the ball carrier directly downward violently in order to pull his feet from underneath him.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject:

Derrick Henry had foot surgery and is expected to miss 6-10 weeks. So he could still return this season. The Titans do have a 3-game lead in the AFC South and they are lucky that Houston and J'ville are complete pushovers and that Indy has dug itself a big hole. Maybe they can still win the division and then Henry is actually fresh for the playoffs?
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Saints own Tampa Bay.

Except when it matters
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Image of tackle

It was the right call, but that's because the rules have changed. The classic horse collar tackle was grabbing the collar or right under the collar and pulling down on the shoulder pads. That rule changed a few years ago, the contact area now extends past the collar and down to the name plate on the jersey. If the defender tugs on the jersey it isn't a horse collar, but if the defender pulls the ball carrier down it is a horse collar tackle.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject:

With Denver trading Miller, you have to wonder if RB-needy teams like Tennessee will try to pry Melvin Gordon away. Denver has a ready-made successor in Javonte Williams, and if you can get even a 3rd round pick for Gordon, it's totally worthwhile IMO. I mean, the Ravens are using Devonta Freeman as the head of their RBBC right now. Couldn't they use Gordon? I guess it's possible that Denver didn't see Miller as truly impactful any longer so they took the picks, and that they will still try to make the playoffs with a relatively moribund offense of Teddy B and Gordon/Williams as a 1/2 rushing punch. I've seen it suggested that Denver should embrace the fire sale and not only trade Gordon but Teddy as well, perhaps to the Saints. I'm still calling it, though: Rivers plays for the Saints.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85 ... 333, 334, 335  Next
Page 84 of 335
Jump to: