Thank you MALIK MONK
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 29, 30, 31  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
danzag wrote:
That deep 3 though
No second thoughts. Just let it fly.

That's the kind of unconscious you need out there in the clutch. With him and Melo in tight game situations when you need shots, you know the ball is going up. No hesitation like you saw with players from last few years. Of course the downside is that they don't play as well on D, but there are some improvements on D since game 1.

He appears to be developing into a chase type defender much like KCP. Now needs to learn how to incorporate into a team concept. Recognize when to stop the chase and cut off lanes, provide help to his teammates or switch.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Reds622 wrote:
An issue that I see with Monk is that he takes bad shots.

Yes, last night he made it… but I would still call it a bad shot. Over the course of a season, and more importantly the playoffs, you can’t have players taking low percentage shots when it matters most.

Like his general demeanor and his ability to create shots. If he can rein in his game just a little bit and become a defensive disruptor he can be dynamite. Athleticism and shot making is there for him…

It's only a bad shot if you miss it

Truthfully, I do not think that's a bad shot at all in 2021 for a legitimate 3 point shooter. If Russ or AD took that shot then it absolutely is a horrible decision but I loved every thing about Monk taking it with no hesitation as that's his game. He was instrumental late in back 2 back wins showing nothing but stone cold confidence. I was extremely excited about this pickup from day 1 but he has exceeded my expectations so far with his composure. Seeing some of the decisions both him and Reaves have made in critical moments is a beautiful thing to see from brand new young role players.

The only downside thus far is exactly what King Randle and a few others have said about his team defense and in particular his PnR defense. The good thing is this falls right in line with what our Coach is elite at and i'm sure sees this as well and will be working with him all year.

If Monk is as serious as he acted in his quote about wanting to learn he clearly has the ability to be at worst, adequate. If he can do that with his offensive game he would bolster himself up to being one of the main rotation guys regardless of who's healthy or not imo. I don't think this is anything new though as most of us knew he would go as far as his defense takes him. I love what I see so far though, absolute steal regardless!
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
danzag wrote:
That deep 3 though
No second thoughts. Just let it fly.

That's the kind of unconscious you need out there in the clutch. With him and Melo in tight game situations when you need shots, you know the ball is going up. No hesitation like you saw with players from last few years. Of course the downside is that they don't play as well on D, but there are some improvements on D since game 1.

He appears to be developing into a chase type defender much like KCP. Now needs to learn how to incorporate into a team concept. Recognize when to stop the chase and cut off lanes, provide help to his teammates or switch.

and he is already a better shooter than Kuz and KCP....thank god!
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject:

Highlights
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:02 am    Post subject:

The thing is his D. You dream about in an alternate universe where Monk and Melo suddenly become reliable defenders in Vogel's system. I mean I know Vogel is already starting to give Monk PT based on his D, which is a good thing. He is challenging him. Lets see if Monk responds.

But based on his career so far, Monk is a defensive liability. He needs massive work on his D, if he is to get consistent PT on a contender. On offense, he has every skill we need. What we could use is a guy who plays offense with his skill level, and defends like Bradley.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:32 pm    Post subject:

Feels like he's lost his mojo. Does he even survive long after AB's contract is up for the full guarantee? He's struggling to earn minutes even with all these injuries.
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:36 am    Post subject:

We really need Monk’s scoring out there. Westbrook gets a pass for all of his boneheaded defensive mistakes and mediocre scoring but Monk gets put in the doghouse after a mistake.

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:40 am    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
We really need Monk’s scoring out there. Westbrook gets a pass for all of his boneheaded defensive mistakes and mediocre scoring but Monk gets put in the doghouse after a mistake.

Politics. Westbrook is a corner piece to the Lakers and makes more. That is just 1 being put in the dog house vs the other, but what does Monk provide other than scoring? Meaning, if he is not scoring, how is he effecting the game?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:

Unfair but Westbrook is an all-star level PG who is elite at getting to the rim and creating shots off the dribble for himself and teammates. The Lakers traded a lot of players to get him. On the other side Monk is a vet min role player, who is perhaps a fringe NBA rotation player at the moment.

I believe in Monk's talent, but you can't hold Westbrook to the same standards as Monk. I totally agree that Westbrook's D stinks. I can't say enough how bummed I was after just the first 2 games seeing his D lapses. He's nothing like the young Westbrook in OKC who played D on every possession on us in those 2011 & 2012 OKC-LA series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I believe in Monk's talent, but you can't hold Westbrook to the same standards as Monk.

Oh, no. The stars have a higher standard than the scrubs. If you find yourself thinking otherwise, you're spending too much time making excuses. I'm serious. Message boards and social media can mess with your head.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:07 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
I believe in Monk's talent, but you can't hold Westbrook to the same standards as Monk.

Oh, no. The stars have a higher standard than the scrubs. If you find yourself thinking otherwise, you're spending too much time making excuses. I'm serious. Message boards and social media can mess with your head.

As usual, I don't follow your point, AH. Elaborate, if you will.

The stars do have a higher standard. Yes. But there's no way Phil Jackson was benching MJ or Kobe for taking plays off on D, like he would chew into a bench player for taking plays off. How many times did PJ chew into a scrub or role player.

Westbrook, AD, Bron etc have star standing, and while they will coast, there is no way a head coach is benching them each time they take a play off on D. I mean look at that Harden play from yesterday. Is Nash going to bench him now ? It's just now how the NBA works. It's ran by the stars, and the coaches have to play along and manage their stars into a team concept. If you don't enjoy it watch college basketball.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:41 pm    Post subject:

Was it me, or did Monk actually play some defense in this game? Frank and the coaches even gave him some dab, seems he had his best 2-way effort of the year. I don't expect this, but it shows he does have the ability to move his feet on D if he tries. He was focused today. The D breakdowns weren't on him.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:10 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Was it me, or did Monk actually play some defense in this game? Frank and the coaches even gave him some dab, seems he had his best 2-way effort of the year. I don't expect this, but it shows he does have the ability to move his feet on D if he tries. He was focused today. The D breakdowns weren't on him.

Yeah, I noticed it as well.. He's always been pretty decent as a man to man defender but his team d looked much better and not like a chicken with it's head cut off looking completely lost on numerous plays.

It's a good sign, i'm trying to look at these small battles being won to help me not go insane with how the overall team looks much of these games lately. Hopefully he continues to work on it and improve because there is no doubt the talent and ability is there.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:07 am    Post subject:

young enough to improve
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject:

Malik Monk Half-Court Buzzer Beater To End 3rd Qt

DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
young enough to improve

That's the hope. He's got to do it sooner rather than later, though, because once the roster gets healthy...

He's got to make the most of the time he's got right now.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject:

I like him. I really wish nunn were available.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:05 pm    Post subject:

Huge game from Monk. 27 pts on 10-of-13 shooting off the bench.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:07 pm    Post subject:

Monk saved our asses today.
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:11 pm    Post subject:

All of Bazemores minutes should be Monks.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:12 pm    Post subject:

For every dumb decision Lakers made including the coach, Monk made big shots and clutch baskets.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject:

Love this kid, wish we can keep him for years. He can play and he can absolutely score

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject:

this dude had an out of body experience today... great job
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
LakersARETheGOAT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject:

Refreshing to have a shot creator off the bench
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:19 pm    Post subject:

If he can keep the shooting up, he plays, we live with his defense. Lou will, Jordan Clarkson never plays any defense
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 10 of 31
Jump to: