OFFICIAL ROB PELINKA THREAD.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 155, 156, 157 ... 241, 242, 243  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:28 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
laker4life wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
TMG wrote:
phantasyman wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Atleast we got 1 championship. Amirite?

That wasn't a championship

Crazy because i just searched 2020 champs on google and Lakers popped up. Problem some error in the system.

A lot of people don't consider it a real championship. Not to mention, it seems the Lakers will ever reach that point again, unless some thing changes within this season and management gets better.

who are a lot of people? other fan bases? Because a lot of people don't think the spurs shortened season is real, or the bucks not playing a healthy team.

Of course this fan base would, but other fan bases, media, spectators. There was no parade, no real ceremony, or celebration of it. No fans in attendance to see it. It kinda just came and went.

Who cares what the other fan base thinks.

Seriously, the Laker organization is still regarded as the best organization in the NBA.

I would say that for most fans, that would be the Warriors organization.

The Lakers is regarded as the best because they have done it consistently with new players over the last 40 years (starting with Magic) and have been successful in winning.

Warriors are doing well presently. However it is about championships and the Lakers have won 17. Impressive.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject:

Pelinka has been playing my GM on NBA 2k for too long. Idk how we won a ring with that ridiculous team he assembled two years ago but it worked out. Full credit to Vogel for turning us into a defensive machine..and finding an identity with that ridiculous team. Everything came together so perfectly but I always felt like it was such a fluke. Also helps when you have Bron and AD and they both played out of their minds in the bubble.

That luck ran out though. Last year I give him a mulligan. This year he found a way to make the team worse. IMO and I hate to say this but he’s not a good GM.
Pau Gasol's Beard
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject:

Pelinka not valuing our glue guys and only going after big names. Not learning from his mistakes. Time for a new GM. Pelinka showing his lack of experience.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

The Lakers is regarded as the best because they have done it consistently with new players over the last 40 years (starting with Magic) and have been successful in winning.

Warriors are doing well presently. However it is about championships and the Lakers have won 17. Impressive.

Pro sports is a "What have you done for me lately?" business. Five titles with George Mikan in Minneapolis don't have much relevance in evaluating organizations in 2021. Neither does the 1972 title. In fact, it's debatable whether the ten titles under Dr. Buss are relevant, given that almost no one from that era is still with the team.

So are the Lakers considered the best organization in the NBA today? I'd say no. If anything, my sense is that the Lakers organization is considered to be borderline dysfunctional and definitely soap operatic -- sort of a cross between the Cowboys and the Yankees. But I really don't think that the average NBA fan gives this a lot of thought.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
laker4life wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Pro sports is a "What have you done for me lately?" business. Five titles with George Mikan in Minneapolis don't have much relevance in evaluating organizations in 2021. Neither does the 1972 title. In fact, it's debatable whether the ten titles under Dr. Buss are relevant, given that almost no one from that era is still with the team.

So are the Lakers considered the best organization in the NBA today? I'd say no. If anything, my sense is that the Lakers organization is considered to be borderline dysfunctional and definitely soap operatic -- sort of a cross between the Cowboys and the Yankees. But I really don't think that the average NBA fan gives this a lot of thought.

Curious as to what (outside of LG's mania) leads to that opinion?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

That's the impression I get from talking to Rockets fans and the like. As I said, I don't think that the average NBA fan gives this a lot of thought. However, the Lakers get way over-covered by the national media. If we have dirty laundry, it's on ESPN. If the Memphis Grizzlies have dirty laundry, it may not make the Memphis newspapers. So what does everyone hear about? Jim Buss vs. Jeanie Buss. Magic. Tampering. Magic's resignation. It's been quieter since then, because Jeanie talks less than she used to and because Pelinka knows how to handle the media. Winning the title helped. Still, the Lakers' image is that of an organization that throws around a lot of money on big name players (which is why I mentioned the Yankees). That's not inaccurate, but it doesn't create the image of a really well run organization.

Again, I stress that the average NBA fan doesn't think much about this kind of thing. This is just the general impression I get.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

That's the impression I get from talking to Rockets fans and the like. As I said, I don't think that the average NBA fan gives this a lot of thought. However, the Lakers get way over-covered by the national media. If we have dirty laundry, it's on ESPN. If the Memphis Grizzlies have dirty laundry, it may not make the Memphis newspapers. So what does everyone hear about? Jim Buss vs. Jeanie Buss. Magic. Tampering. Magic's resignation. It's been quieter since then, because Jeanie talks less than she used to and because Pelinka knows how to handle the media. Winning the title helped. Still, the Lakers' image is that of an organization that throws around a lot of money on big name players (which is why I mentioned the Yankees). That's not inaccurate, but it doesn't create the image of a really well run organization.

Again, I stress that the average NBA fan doesn't think much about this kind of thing. This is just the general impression I get.

Nevermind.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
laker4life wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
TMG wrote:
phantasyman wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Atleast we got 1 championship. Amirite?

That wasn't a championship

Crazy because i just searched 2020 champs on google and Lakers popped up. Problem some error in the system.

A lot of people don't consider it a real championship. Not to mention, it seems the Lakers will ever reach that point again, unless some thing changes within this season and management gets better.

who are a lot of people? other fan bases? Because a lot of people don't think the spurs shortened season is real, or the bucks not playing a healthy team.

Of course this fan base would, but other fan bases, media, spectators. There was no parade, no real ceremony, or celebration of it. No fans in attendance to see it. It kinda just came and went.

Who cares what the other fan base thinks.

Seriously, the Laker organization is still regarded as the best organization in the NBA.

But recent years are different than past decades. Shaq and LeBron were signed as free agents. They had to give up quite a bit to get Davis while Worthy, Kobe and Magic were acquired for relatively very little.

If they are able to reverse the trend and start acquiring top talent for costs similar to what Kobe, Magic and Worthy were acquired for, then expecting to win numerous championships going forward is reasonable. If they have to continue paying full price like they did for Davis, then winning numerous championships going forward is going to be very difficult.
Laker_Jocker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject:

Biggest issue is the slapping together of mismatched players

WB is the polar opposite of Rondo. (If Nunn comes back this isn’t as bad)
Base/Ellington/Monk are the polar opposite of KCP/Caruso/THT
LBJ is broken again as could be foreseen and a year older (Bringing in ancient Ariza clearly doesn’t fix that even if healthy)
Melo is old replacing Kuz/Trez who are young
AD at the 5 only works if the 4 either can shoot or is mobile (DJ and Dwight are neither)

What is the freaking identity? Small ball? Half court? Lob city? Just a mess of logic in construction. Where is the size to play against the Bucks, Nets, Clips, Suns who have star forwards…. GS can get away with that but no way WB,AD,LBJ alone will stop those big men to even have a chance in playoffs.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Seriously, keeping Kieff with early bird would be a much better move than signing DAJ and release gasol. It probably cost similar at the end
SGVL1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject:

I don’t even think Pelinka should be fired, I think he should step down. I mean Kob was his best friend in the world. It’s taken a toll on him for sure. Guy has aged big time since the tragedy. No shame in stepping down
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:57 pm    Post subject:

SGVL1 wrote:
I don’t even think Pelinka should be fired, I think he should step down. I mean Kob was his best friend in the world. It’s taken a toll on him for sure. Guy has aged big time since the tragedy. No shame in stepping down

If that happens, who is the best candidate to replace him?
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:10 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
SGVL1 wrote:

If that happens, who is the best candidate to replace him?

And how would he/she make any difference this year? Nobody fires GM mid season.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:20 pm    Post subject:

SGVL1 wrote:

You really think he's going to leave a dream job halfway through his contract because a friend of his died two years ago?
SGVL1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:44 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
SGVL1 wrote:

You really think he's going to leave a dream job halfway through his contract because a friend of his died two years ago?

That’s not for me to say. My statement was solely on how he looked post tragedy and my fear for his own health. Dude looks tore up. And his job performance reflects it
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:49 am    Post subject:

SGVL1 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
SGVL1 wrote:

That’s not for me to say. My statement was solely on how he looked post tragedy and my fear for his own health. Dude looks tore up. And his job performance reflects it

Bullsh#t. We were on route to the WCF again if not for AD's injury.
We had the Suns completely figured out.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject:

After Kobe passed away, Rob made an important move in getting Kieff. If anything, Kobe passing motivated them to work harder and go for it even more. In fact, when Rob traded for Dennis (Danny going out, a core guy from the title run). He was asked why so many changes to a ring team .... He said he wanted to have that mentality Kobe had. Every offseason get better. He knew the team won the title, but he wanted to keep making them more talented.

I understand many view Rob as being pretty bad at his job, but you can clearly see he views Bron/AD as untouchables/cornerstone pieces, and his job is to stack the deck with talent around them. After a title run he gave them the two best bench players in the NBA - Trez/Dennis. Then, he gave them a 3rd all-star in WB this year. Both of these moves look bad at the moment, but the health of the team also played a big part in these failures. Have we had the fortune of that first season of AD/Bron in terms of health? Can anyone outline to me when either last year's team or this year's team has actually had a 2-3 month period where both AD and Bron are at their best? It's just been a complete disaster health wise since the title run for the big 2. Now, that may just be their bodies breaking down. So Rob needs to plan for that.

Grateful we at least kept THT, signed Nunn. At some point, I am open to moving WB by trade deadline for a wing player that can start next to AD/Bron and building the backcourt around THT/Nunn. Still not at that point today, but I am sure Rob sees that potential moving forward. I wonder if there's a bad bloated contracted wing player out there who we could move for WB. Like a team that doesn't want their wing player and has a massive contract, but needs a guard. And we the oppposite, we have enough at guard (If Nunn shows he can start with THT) and we could use the guard. I know, Simmons. That's not happening without THT. Yes I would do Simmons for WB in a second, but Philly won't IMO. It will cost many picks that we don't have, or THT.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LGFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Nevermind.

rocket fans bro
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject:

only Laker ownership is recycling GM candidates from ex-Laker or affiliates of ex-Laker players. If Rob steps down or get fired, i'm 100% certain Kurt Rambis is the next GM. Jeannie Buss runs this team like a family own taco shack down the street.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
only Laker ownership is recycling GM candidates from ex-Laker or affiliates of ex-Laker players. If Rob steps down or get fired, i'm 100% certain Kurt Rambis is the next GM. Jeannie Buss runs this team like a family own taco shack down the street.

No surprise, she is in over her head. Her worst enemy is being Dr. Buss’ offspring.
RusselDoeee01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject:

Jeanie is a great Face of the team but not so much the best decision maker..
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject:

Someone please tell me if this is true: if it wasn't for Westbrook trade, we would have Derozan and Buddy Hield, to go along with KCP, Trez, AC (resigning)? Is this wrong?
LGFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

No surprise, she is in over her head. Her worst enemy is being Dr. Buss’ offspring.

just like ur boy jim
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
Someone please tell me if this is true: if it wasn't for Westbrook trade, we would have Derozan and Buddy Hield, to go along with KCP, Trez, AC (resigning)? Is this wrong?

It’s wrong at DeRozan & Buddy’s price points (26m & 25.6m via “unlikely” incentives converting to “likely” respectively).

Fact is, DD can only come here via the fMLE (9.5m) or via a S&t at his 20mish price point…either option hard caps us at 143m. We would be unable to breach that figure in total team salary.

Kuz/Trez/#22 were necessary in trading for Hield

Quote:
Multiple reports have indicated that the Lakers are interested in a deal for Buddy, and with fewer than 24 hours until the 2021 draft, multiple league sources say Los Angeles has stepped up its efforts by adding the no. 22 pick to a deal that’d include Montrezl Harrell and Kyle Kuzma or Kentavious Caldwell-Pope.

Let’s assume Kcp/Marc/McKinnie/our 2027 1st/multiple future 2nds were involved to bring in DeRozan via a S&t to get him on a 22m deal, then our books look like:

Bron 41.2m
AD 35.4m
DeRozan 22m (S&t via Spurs triggers hard cap)
Buddy 25.6m (hardcap math mandates all likely/unlikely incentives apply)
THT 9.5m
AC 8.6m (let’s assume Lakers match Bulls offer)
Deng cap hit 5m
= 147.3m (clearly in violation of breaching 143m cap apron)

So if DeRozan & Buddy were to be part of this equation, there us nothing you can do about Buddy’s current incentive laden deal, so his 25.6m cap hit along with Bron, AD and Deng’s cap hit remain unamendable. Those 4 cap hits come out to 107.2m, so with 3 active players on the roster, we would have to round out the roster to at least 14 players all while keeping DeRozan, THT and AC happy on haircut deals close enough to their price point with roughly only 35.8m in potential salary wiggle to work with before hitting the cap apron as a hardcapped team. You need to earmark at least 13.4m to have 8 vet min deals. So with DeRozan/THT/AC, you only have 22.4m in potential salary to divvy amongst them.

Last edited by vasashi17+ on Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

It’s wrong at DeRozan & Buddy’s price points (26m & 25.6m via “unlikely” incentives converting to “likely” respectively).

Fact is, DD can only come here via the fMLE (9.5m) or via a S&t at his 20mish price point…either option hard caps us at 143m. We would be unable to breach that figure in total team salary.

Kuz/Trez/#22 were necessary in trading for Hield

Quote:
Multiple reports have indicated that the Lakers are interested in a deal for Buddy, and with fewer than 24 hours until the 2021 draft, multiple league sources say Los Angeles has stepped up its efforts by adding the no. 22 pick to a deal that’d include Montrezl Harrell and Kyle Kuzma or Kentavious Caldwell-Pope.

Let’s assume Kcp/Marc/McKinnie/our 2027 1st/multiple future 2nds were involved to bring in DeRozan via a S&t to get him on a 22m deal, then our books look like:

Bron 41.2m
AD 35.4m
DeRozan 22m (S&t via Spurs triggers hard cap)
Buddy 25.6m (hardcap math mandates all likely/unlikely incentives apply)
THT 9.5m
AC 8.6m (let’s assume Lakers match Bulls offer)
Deng cap hit 5m
= 147.3m (clearly in violation of breaching 143m cap apron)

So if DeRozan & Buddy were to be part of this equation, there us nothing you can do about Buddy’s current incentive laden deal, so his 25.6m cap hit along with Bron, AD and Deng’s cap hit remain unamendable. Those 4 cap hits come out to 107.2m, so with 3 active players on the roster, we would have to round out the roster to at least 14 players all while keeping DeRozan, THT and AC happy on haircut deals close enough to their price point with roughly only 35.8m in potential salary wiggle to work with before hitting the cap apron as a hardcapped team.

Thank you for the clarification.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 155, 156, 157 ... 241, 242, 243  Next
Page 156 of 243
Jump to: