David Fizdale hired as Lakers Assistant Coach
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
David Fizdale accepted Lakers assistant coach opening over more lucrative Indiana offer, @TheUndefeated learned. Former Grizzlies & Knicks coach preferred being reunited with LeBron, being home in LA and Lakers title chances. LeBron & Fiz communicated after latter agreed to deal.

https://twitter.com/MarcJSpears/status/1410388220630552576

"after"
RashardA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Fizdale could be the secret to elevating our role players.

He had fantastic insight on what it took mentally for the "others" to be successful playing around the big three in Miami.

Especially the shooters.

I know it's the belief of 98% of this fan base that the worst thing the Lakers could do this season would be keep Kuz, but I dont think it's too far-fetched to say Fizdale could be to Kuz what Chauncey was to Paul George this season.

And before the haters chime in saying Kuz is nowhere near PG13's level that's not what im saying.

Fiz could help Kuz get outta his own head and just play.

Rebuild his confidence, help encourage and empower him to get back to being more aggressive offensively.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject:

Didn’t know where to put this...

Quote:
Stein: The Mavericks have an opening for a lead assistant after Orlando hired Jamahl Mosley as its new head coach.

Detroit's Sean Sweeney was the first to join Kidd's coaching staff. The Lakers' Greg. St. Jean, who worked alongside Kidd in LA, is also expected to join the Mavericks.
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:

Quote:
Stein: The Mavericks have an opening for a lead assistant after Orlando hired Jamahl Mosley as its new head coach.

Detroit's Sean Sweeney was the first to join Kidd's coaching staff. The Lakers' Greg. St. Jean, who worked alongside Kidd in LA, is also expected to join the Mavericks.

Didn't even know who Greg St. Jean was.

https://basketball.realgm.com/staff/Greg-St-Jean/Summary/2358

Advance Scout of the Los Angeles Lakers since 2019-2020 (Hired).
Player Development Coach of the Los Angeles Lakers since Jul 31, 2019 (Hired).
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject:

Those wanting Vogel gone, it’ll only get worse when Fizdale takes his spot.

https://twitter.com/Tim_NBA/status/1461897907544768515?s=20

Quote:
i wouldn't be surprised if Frank is gone soon.

If so, I'd bet Fizdale replaces him. He's the lead Assistant only prior HC on staff + it’s a dry market for other coaches (bc we're in-season).

If so expect worse Def plus similar Offense, barring them bringing in outside help to aid the O (which they can do now).

Quote:
David Fizdale, LA’s offensive coordinator (per Vogel), has a lot of work to do.

As a head coach Fizdale led some of the worst offensive seasons we've ever seen in our offensive optimization database at
@The_BBall_Index
. As an Assistant he's been more a defensive guy in years prior.

This responsibility doesn't seem to align best to his skill set.

Last edited by Nash Vegas on Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:

Quote:
wouldn't be surprised if Frank is gone soon.

If so, I'd bet Fizdale replaces him. He's the lead Assistant only prior HC on staff + it’s a dry market for other coaches (bc we're in-season).

If so expect worse Def plus similar Offense, barring them bringing in outside help to aid the O (which they can do now).

That's the con of Vogel being fired. Who replaces him?
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

Quote:

Nobody would want this mid season.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject:

It’s. It about X and O when it comes to NBA coaches. Stars know how to play the damn game okay, they don’t need someone tell them to line up here and there. This is team needs a new voice, clearly players have tuned Vogel out. This team needs a rah rah type of coach.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Fizdale isn’t much better than Vogel, but it is what it is.

LeKlutch guy will get the job before January.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject:

This is just a random thought, but is it POSSIBLE that LeBron James and Anthony Davis understand basketball and defense better than Frank Vogel does? Maybe they don’t need someone trying to show them how to play defense. Maybe they just need someone who will make sure the team exudes a culture of intensity at all times.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

Quote:

Fiz would. Then he can be Tank Commander 2.0
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

Quote:

Didn't even know who Greg St. Jean was.

https://basketball.realgm.com/staff/Greg-St-Jean/Summary/2358

Advance Scout of the Los Angeles Lakers since 2019-2020 (Hired).
Player Development Coach of the Los Angeles Lakers since Jul 31, 2019 (Hired).

From what i heard he was pretty key in the Mavs hiring of Kidd. I think i heard they had asked him how he had evolved since his HC days and joining the Lakers and he pointed to GSJ as someone who changed how he prepared and schemed. If you can forgive the analogy i think he’s sort of a Tex Winter for Kidd, whose strength is more in being a leader of men.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

Quote:

I don’t believe that is true.

I can name about 10 Coaches right now who would love to inherit this roster despite our horrible 17 game start.

Just to name one random coach who would probably drive more than half of LG nuts before he touches the UCLA health center is Derek Fisher.

It’s totally obvious the way he takes over the entire Post game show on Spectrum that he’d quit the Sparks in a heartbeat to coach the Lakers. He would probably bring back Luke as his Assistant as well lol. Crazy how the Kings just fired Luke as we play them next week. Luke has been kicking our ass the past 2-3 seasons with that treadmill team
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Is he first choice for HC when Vogel gets sacked?

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Yall said he was the goat
Way better than Kidd
And all that
LGFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Fitzdale was hired cause he is LeBron's guy and not on qualification
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Way better than Kidd
And all that

Kidd sucks
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Way better than Kidd
And all that

Who on Earth said that?!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject:

The more I think about it, and the more I see Kidd's coaching in Dallas, I think going to Fizdale who inserted a lof of that space/pace elements in Miami, has been what has hurt Vogel and this year's team the most, off the court. On the court, clearly it has been Bron's injuries and WB's addition vs losing 3 role players who fit.

What's the solution here? To me, scrap the whole full time pace/space angle. I like we went back to AD at the 4 and non-shooting threats like Howard/DAJ at the 5. Close with AD at the 5. Forget about the trends. I know Milwaukee won the ring last year elite in pace, elite in volume 3 point shooting and had a guy like WB in Giannis who is not a threat from outside. But, the differences are huge here. We are not built around WB like Milwaukee is Giannis, and our guys around them aren't Brook Lopez, Middleton, Jrue Holiday etc.

I am not going to accuse Fiz of sabotage, but it would serve him best if Vogel failed at running a system that was never fit for this roster, only for him to take over. Really really hope Jeanie, Kurt and Rob are smarter than this. Considering that from what I recall Phil was a supporter of Vogel as a coach, I think they will give him more time.

I hope they completely revert to bully ball, beatdowns and dominance in rebounding. Smashface basketball as Vogel called it. That is how you can win with this team. Not saying a title by any means. Just be good enough to compete at the playoff level. What we've been doing so far, is never gonna work, IMO. We're not built like the Bucks, but we're trying to play like them (Well at least when we go full time into pace/space with AD starting at the 5, we are).

It seems there's a conflict within Vogel as well. He wants defense. He believes in smashmouth basketball. Yet he has to work with Fizdale, who is a spread offense guy. I dunno what goes first. Fizdale, or Vogel. I hope Fiz. But Team Lebron loves Fiz ...... Did Vogel even hire Fizdale or was this Team Lebron? Such a shame what we're doing to Vogel. He's a hell of a leader and coach, and we haven't had a guy like this be a coach for a long time. Hope we don't (bleep) it up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject:

Steve Smith said he thinks the Lakers are missing Kidd and Hollins who aren't afraid to confront star players. I take that to mean the assistants they have now don't do that. Seems critical to have someone in the mix who players respect and who will tell it like it is and call everyone out no matter who they are.
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:50 pm    Post subject:

ducasse wrote:
Steve Smith said he thinks the Lakers are missing Kidd and Hollins who aren't afraid to confront star players. I take that to mean the assistants they have now don't do that. Seems critical to have someone in the mix who players respect and who will tell it like it is and call everyone out no matter who they are.

I’m glad I know what Steve smith thinks. In all seriousness I “think” the coaching staff has been holding players accountable. Right now it’s a flawed roster that played half of them without their superstar.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject:

Preview of what happens if Vogel gets axed. Same old same old.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:08 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Preview of what happens if Vogel gets axed. Same old same old.

Hard to evaluate without a full roster, but I tend to see that Fiz will be a little more focused on offense and small ball. While Vogel is more in line with focusing on defensive coverages and allowing players to figure it out on offense.

They're supposed to be working together, so I don't think there's any big difference in what they'll end up doing as a gameplan. A change is only needed if players don't listen (tune out) Vogel. Far as I see, our issues, are not coaching. Players respect the staff and listen to them (The staff also includes Handy, who is a well respected coach).

We need Vogel for defense. Fizdale, I think is there to run the Miami program like he did with Spo during Bron's run there. Handly is a good player coach. I think the staff we have is solid. It's an issue of player health, and just an older roster that has not peaked or been able to play enough to peak. Lacking depth of starting level players, too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:21 am    Post subject:

Tough to evaluate a coach in terms of win/loss for a game under the circumstances. But two strategic mistakes out of the box, challenging a block/charge call too early, and fouling down 1 with a 5 second differential.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:18 am    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
defense wrote:
Way better than Kidd
And all that

Who on Earth said that?!

Can't recall, but there was definitely talk of fizzle being a big upgrade over Kidd. Some went as far as to say Fizz was a good offensive mind.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: