Is it time to rebuild?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:24 am    Post subject: Is it time to rebuild?

We got our championship. Never got a parade, but whatever.

All of hate towards LeBron and AD this year, but there’s no question that they accomplished what they were supposed to do: to make the Lakers relevant again and win a title. Mission accomplished.

There is very little chance this current team makes it out of the west this year, and very unlikely we beat the east in the finals if we get that far.

Instead of blowing up when it’s too late, should we do what Boston did with pierce/Garnett and try to hoard as many picks as we can for AD and LeBron?

This is a serious question. I feel like we will ride out the season to barely get over .500, maybe make the playoffs, and go into another offseason with high turn over and have a core that is just 1 year older. Next year we might be even worse….and then it would be too late to get assets for anyone on this team
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:25 am    Post subject:

I do not think the AD/Bron era is over, just yet. Their play hasn't been the same as 19-20, but they have the same elite chemistry and last time they played in the playoffs, they did quite well (2-1 up on the Suns).

I am open to moving any player if it makes sense for the team, but right now I don't think we are even playing the right way. The way AD/Bron won, is not how we are playing the game. We are relying heavily on Westbrook creating as a PG, higher pace, 3 point shooting, and not enough D. This is not due to AD/Bron slowing down, it is due to other factors. It would make some sense to first try and get things around AD/Bron in a way that maximizes their impact as a 1A-1B. If we still continue to lose after that, ok.

If the argument is that AD/Bron are never going to be healthy enough to carry the team the way they did in 19-20, to a top seed and a ring. I can respect that argument as since the title neither has shown they can stay healthy long enough at the same time.

In which case, yes, I would understand people wanting to see moves for the longrun. However since the Lakers are about free agency and bringing in superstars, like they did with Kobe, I think they will show AD/Bron a lot of loyalty, so that when they pitch to the next stars, they are aware the Lakers don't do it like Boston (See IT, for example). If you send your stars who win a ring for you packing a year after a mentally and emotionally draining title run, it doesn't do you any favors in free agency or trading for a future star. Hate the FA/trade for a star plan, but it is part of the Lakers game plan and maybe their strongest asset. They're not going to create a lot of assets just by trading their stars, they will need the free agency money in 2023 to help create assets as well. They need that "allure". Trading away your top 2, a year after a title run like that, not good for that.

I wouldn't advise trading AD/Bron in this moment is at all the right thing, to do. Need to fix the issues around them, first, IMO. Evaluate after the season. No way I would play out this season as is and keep going with the RW project. Changes need to be made around AD/Bron first. Then, lets see.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:50 am    Post subject:

Lebron Davis aren't going anywhere. And we do rebuild, every season. That's the problem, and we can thank Pelinka for that.

From what I can see, this Lakers team really misses energy defenders and "little-thing" players. Although I criticized them last season, we REALLY miss Kuzma, KCP, and AC.

All three of these players were smart defenders and hustle guys. People forget how Kuzma was developing into an all-round player. And despite his offensive woes, KCP was really impactful defensively. AC was just a smart guy that always seemed to make those little plays that would spark big moments.

While these players were inconsistent last season offensively, they played valuable roles in other parts of the game; timely defensive plays, rebounding, getting to loose balls, hustling, hitting that one big 3 pointer when we really needed it. All we had to do was to keep them and sign some shooters to help things along when these guys were not hitting shots. But we didn't do that. Rob Pelinka didn't do that.

This brings me back, again, to what I have been saying over and over and over again...Rob Pelinka destroyed this Lakers team.

We didn't need an overhaul to last years team, nor the team before (which won a Championship). We only needed an adjustment. But Pelinka is incapable of understanding this. He has not desire to understand or appreciate Vogel's system of coaching and what has worked for us in the past. Rob just wants to sign players because it defines the roll he supposedly plays for the franchise. Meanwhile, Vogel is left trying to constantly re-invent strategies to win with a constantly changing cast of players, and all the while Lebron is getting older, more fragile, and AD is getting less focused and engaged. It's an impossible situation for Vogel, especially since he has no say in who is actually on the team. And sadly for him, being that Rob and Lebron will not take the fall for Laker failure, Vogel will be the one who will lose his job over this mess.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject:

Forgetting about the big names here is who we got .

Tht
Monk
Nunn
Reaves
Avery

All talented, all movable.
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject:

They have nothing to trade other than AD. Lebron would prob prefer to rot on a bad team in LA than go somewhere else. Think he's content with 4 rings.

Westbrook is untradeable. Maybe next year on an expiring deal, but it's probably best just to let him exercise his option and let him leave opening up huge cap space.

Why would you trade THT? He's young on a decent deal and talented.

I don't thin kthey can deal the minimum guys. The other guy is Nunn who is hurt.

This team is going nowhere. They're a .500 team tops.

FWIW, I'd trade AD next year after Lebron and WB leave. Can't build a contender around AD

Last edited by lakers4life78 on Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject:

IMO too soon to be talking rebuild. Lakers are still too deep into the win-now James era. Have to stay the course at this point.

They have talent, just declining talent with poor chemistry. As pointed out, we will likely see a modest mid season trade to help tweek the roster. Swapping role players with another team. Highly doubt any blockbuster trade using any of the Big Three or their buddies.

Lakers will need to rely on the same things we have discussed before. Hoping the chemistry, effort and health all fall into place by playoff time for one more run. Not much else to hope for.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject:

The post-Kobe rebuild began when Nash had a career ending injury, followed by Kobe all but having a career ending injury, and then Howard leaving and Gasol feeling unappreciated and leaving.

The realty is the Lakers still have Lebron and AD who are both still top tier players. They also have Westbrook who is still a good player even if he's a poor fit. Plus they have a young guy locked up for a couple years in THT.

That's a much different situation than being locked into the Nash deal for the next two years when he was already done, having Howard and Gasol leave, and knowing Kobe would miss at least a year (and as we now know would never be the same).

I feel like the Lakers give it another month or so, get back Ariza and Nunn, try to get Lebron and Westbrook to mesh and then take it from there.

The worst case scenario is it doesn't ever work out with Westbrook, they don't trade him and he opts in for next season. In which case you have a massive expiring contract who someone might still see as an asset. Let's not forget a couple of years ago Paul was a similar untradeable contract. And he just got a multi year extension from the team that traded for him.

If Westbrook opted out next summer they'd have cap space.
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
The post-Kobe rebuild began when Nash had a career ending injury, followed by Kobe all but having a career ending injury, and then Howard leaving and Gasol feeling unappreciated and leaving.

The realty is the Lakers still have Lebron and AD who are both still top tier players. They also have Westbrook who is still a good player even if he's a poor fit. Plus they have a young guy locked up for a couple years in THT.

That's a much different situation than being locked into the Nash deal for the next two years when he was already done, having Howard and Gasol leave, and knowing Kobe would miss at least a year (and as we now know would never be the same).

I feel like the Lakers give it another month or so, get back Ariza and Nunn, try to get Lebron and Westbrook to mesh and then take it from there.

The worst case scenario is it doesn't ever work out with Westbrook, they don't trade him and he opts in for next season. In which case you have a massive expiring contract who someone might still see as an asset. Let's not forget a couple of years ago Paul was a similar untradeable contract. And he just got a multi year extension from the team that traded for him.

If Westbrook opted out next summer they'd have cap space.

Lakers also had their own first round picks in 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017. They also moved up in the lottery in 2019 to number 4.

Lakers have only one pick over the next 3 years and it's a swap with the Pelicans.
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
Lebron Davis aren't going anywhere. And we do rebuild, every season. That's the problem, and we can thank Pelinka for that.

From what I can see, this Lakers team really misses energy defenders and "little-thing" players. Although I criticized them last season, we REALLY miss Kuzma, KCP, and AC.

All three of these players were smart defenders and hustle guys. People forget how Kuzma was developing into an all-round player. And despite his offensive woes, KCP was really impactful defensively. AC was just a smart guy that always seemed to make those little plays that would spark big moments.

While these players were inconsistent last season offensively, they played valuable roles in other parts of the game; timely defensive plays, rebounding, getting to loose balls, hustling, hitting that one big 3 pointer when we really needed it. All we had to do was to keep them and sign some shooters to help things along when these guys were not hitting shots. But we didn't do that. Rob Pelinka didn't do that.

This brings me back, again, to what I have been saying over and over and over again...Rob Pelinka destroyed this Lakers team.

We didn't need an overhaul to last years team, nor the team before (which won a Championship). We only needed an adjustment. But Pelinka is incapable of understanding this. He has not desire to understand or appreciate Vogel's system of coaching and what has worked for us in the past. Rob just wants to sign players because it defines the roll he supposedly plays for the franchise. Meanwhile, Vogel is left trying to constantly re-invent strategies to win with a constantly changing cast of players, and all the while Lebron is getting older, more fragile, and AD is getting less focused and engaged. It's an impossible situation for Vogel, especially since he has no say in who is actually on the team. And sadly for him, being that Rob and Lebron will not take the fall for Laker failure, Vogel will be the one who will lose his job over this mess.

Why blame Pelinka? Blame the big fat elephant in the room which is LeGM and klutch? I mean come on geeez... trez and Westbrook is LeGM and klutch picks...I mean come on Pelinka had buddy and derozin this is on klutch and LeBron. This is why players should play and gms should build the team. Now we got our own mini Micheal Jordan as the gm
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject:

The Lakers are in no position to rebuild, there are few tradable assets and few draft picks. They just need to let this team stay the course and resist extending players. Fire Pelinka and get rid of Jeanie if they can and step into the 2020 NBA.
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
The Lakers are in no position to rebuild, there are few tradable assets and few draft picks. They just need to let this team stay the course and resist extending players. Fire Pelinka and get rid of Jeanie if they can and step into the 2020 NBA.

Why fire rob if you can’t grt rid of klutch? And how you going to get rid of Jeanie who is in control of the whole thing which is very unfortunate? Talk crazy all you want about jim buss and Mitch but they wouldn’t let klutch do as they please and run wild and have no real assets till 2050 I’m just telling the truth.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject:

JustaObserver wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Why fire rob if you can’t grt rid of klutch? And how you going to get rid of Jeanie who is in control of the whole thing which is very unfortunate? Talk crazy all you want about jim buss and Mitch but they wouldn’t let klutch do as they please and run wild and have no real assets till 2050 I’m just telling the truth.

You would trust Pelinka to rebuild this team? Not in a million years. As for Jeanie her family could boot her but I don’t see any of them being different from her and valuing the revenue over winning.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject:

LG never ceases to amaze when the team has a bumpy ride, you can talk about trading for this player or that player but the Lakers never had the patience for a rebuild, they always look to make the big move that tips the balance in the NBA, relax and go grab some coffee the Lakers will be okay.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject:

Most of the Lakers issues are correctable. If guys are going to stand around and play isolation basketball - we won’t be competitive. You can try to trade players but the real issue is Fizdale is unqualified to run the offense.

Defensively - we need Nunn & Reaves. We don’t have enough young role players who can play defense when their three is not hitting. Derozan instead of Westbrook is not going to fix that. Hield is not going to fix that.

We need more off ball movement and players who are actual capable defenders surrounding our big 3. Coaching is an issue but to me it’s solely on Fizdale instead of Vogel.

First quarter of last nights game we were moving around. After that, people started standing around when they didn’t have the ball. We can’t have our offense be propping up opponents defenses. That is the largest issue at hand and the most correctable - all you have to do is hire Stots.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Is it time to rebuild?

BigBallerBrand wrote:

All of hate towards LeBron and AD this year, but there’s no question that they accomplished what they were supposed to do: to make the Lakers relevant again and win a title. Mission accomplished.

There is very little chance this current team makes it out of the west this year, and very unlikely we beat the east in the finals if we get that far.

Instead of blowing up when it’s too late, should we do what Boston did with pierce/Garnett and try to hoard as many picks as we can for AD and LeBron?

This is a serious question. I feel like we will ride out the season to barely get over .500, maybe make the playoffs, and go into another offseason with high turn over and have a core that is just 1 year older. Next year we might be even worse….and then it would be too late to get assets for anyone on this team

Practically speaking, I can't imagine who in the Laker organization should support the idea of trading Lebron and AD for draft picks.

It would require patience and publicaly admitting the franchise is in for a long period of floundering.

It would go against Jeanie's DNA, so I can't see her advocating for it. It would probably increase the likelihood of Rob being fired, so I can't see him advocating for it.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject:

I don't expect bold moves from the Lakers. They have recognizable players in place to market, Klutch to manage the roster, and plenty of ways to capitalize on the brand. Jeanie rode Kobe for years and avoided accountability with her Jim shield. At some point Pelinka becomes the next shield. It's a tried and true business strategy.

The next phase will be when Guggenheim buys the team. Their interest is in the strategic value from regional broadcasting rights. But they will have deeper pockets to compete and the revenue they care about will be broadcast, not operations.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Yeah let's just give up before even trying... Said ever person who was successful... NBA Championships aren't won in November
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject:

They have a year before the wheels completely fly off IMO. Westbrook needs a wee bit more time to gel with the players. 17 games is nothing in terms of acclimating to other players.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject:

JustaObserver wrote:
troy wrote:

Why blame Pelinka? Blame the big fat elephant in the room which is LeGM and klutch? I mean come on geeez... trez and Westbrook is LeGM and klutch picks...I mean come on Pelinka had buddy and derozin this is on klutch and LeBron. This is why players should play and gms should build the team. Now we got our own mini Micheal Jordan as the gm

Haven't you heard? Blaming Lebron for anything is blasphemous.
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
troy wrote:

Haven't you heard? Blaming Lebron for anything is blasphemous.

Oh my bad my bad....I forgot he the king. We must witness his greatness not as a player but in the front office as well. The king! The king is here! A couple more king moves from klutch like these past years since he got here and the crypt center is really going to fit this team...this team every 3rd qtr and beyond goes right in tells from the crypt...😭
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Jeanie doesn't do rebuilds. She will do bad impressions of a contender with 0% title hoeps over a rebuild 10 times out of 10.
cital
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Weather there should or shouldn’t, they won’t rebuild until AFTER next season.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject:

It would be awesome to get a homegrown superstar a la Jerry, Magic or Kobe (not coincidentally the most beloved Lakers in history). Alas, Jeanie would never allow it. Just milking past their prime stars from here on out.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it time to rebuild?

activeverb wrote:
BigBallerBrand wrote:

Practically speaking, I can't imagine who in the Laker organization should support the idea of trading Lebron and AD for draft picks.

It would require patience and publicaly admitting the franchise is in for a long period of floundering.

It would go against Jeanie's DNA, so I can't see her advocating for it. It would probably increase the likelihood of Rob being fired, so I can't see him advocating for it.

You don’t trade Lebron and AD for draft picks. Not a Simmons fan but what if Philly offered Simmons and filler and a pick for AD? Can Simmons be part of a retooling team? I think that AD and Joel would be a good big combo.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject:

Hypothetically what do we get for ad
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: